The Official AVS 'Mobile DTV' (M-DTV) Topic! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 510 Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Cool! I wonder why you need a i device confused.gif I mean isn't what you will receive a standalone device.....maybe it somehow it only hooks up to i devices? Report back your findings after your meeting, wonder if you'll meet Mr. Rice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 510 Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Dyle service is launching on i-devices first. I guess their marketing geniuses figured Apple owners would be the most likely to spring for the extra device and eventually their service, since they already overpaid for the hardware.
post #453 of 510 Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

....I guess their marketing geniuses figured Apple owners would be the most likely to spring for the extra device and eventually their service, since they already overpaid for the hardware.
I keep telling that to my daughter who just has to have a iPhone....I mean she has a perfectly good android phone but according to her everyone at school has a iPhone rolleyes.gif
I suppose it also doesn't hurt that i devices are so popular, especially on NBC where I swear every show has people using iPhones and laptops....makes me wonder what the connection is between Apple and NBC.....
Oh and not that I don't think Apple devices look and feel cool and seem to work quite well, I just agree with your assessment about the price smile.gif
Anyway, should be interesting to hear Jim's impression if he's able to share it at this point.
post #454 of 510 Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My wife and I made it back about an hour ago. The Elgato is charging up as we speak. They gave us quite a bit of great information in a short amount of time and demonstrated the device on an Apple iPad. They also talked briefly about the plans of WCCO, KMSP, and KARE.

We were instructed to wait until the device is charged before completing setup, so I will post more later.
post #455 of 510 Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

I tried this a few minutes ago on my wife's iPad Mini. I will say that the application is pretty responsive and it is a good picture on the iPad. I receives channel 2 and 3 of the channel 5 subs. Both 9 and 11 show program info, but state that they are encrypted. It will be interesting to see what WCCO decides My gut reaction so far is that I am glad we got this, but I am also glad that we didn't spend $100 for a device that can only receive a few channels locally right now. If both 9 and 11 were not encrypted I would be a bit more interested. I wonder how much 9 and 11 plan on charging.
post #456 of 510 Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

9 & 11 are two of the Dyle coalition members. If you're not decrypting them, something isn't set up properly in your Dyle configuration. The other local M/H stations aren't encrypted.
post #457 of 510 Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Dyle service is launching on i-devices first. I guess their marketing geniuses figured Apple owners would be the most likely to spring for the extra device and eventually their service, since they already overpaid for the hardware.

Think it's more likely to be that iOS users appear happier to purchase apps than Android users. Although Android is now outselling iOS in handset terms, I think I'm right in saying that the iOS app store sells more phone apps than the various Android solutions added together. I guess iOS users are more likely to spend money on their phone/through their phone?
post #458 of 510 Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Think it's more likely to be that iOS users appear happier to purchase apps than Android users. Although Android is now outselling iOS in handset terms, I think I'm right in saying that the iOS app store sells more phone apps than the various Android solutions added together. I guess iOS users are more likely to spend money on their phone/through their phone?
I wholeheartedly agree with you about that and while I'm not sure about other i Devices but when trying to startup my pre-teen daughters iPod we got her for Christmas I discovered there is no way to continue without giving Apple a CC number and stating you are of age mad.gif Not wanting to tie my CC number to a device that could be easily lost/stolden the iPod went back(something that was NOT easy since once you open a Apple product apparently it's yours and no easy way to return it(I sneakily re-affixed the security tab with a blow dryer and said it was never opened wink.gif)). Later we purchased her a Samsung Galaxy media player(Android) like her older sister has yet has never needed a CC number nor purchased a app yet has a device full of them......This was my one venture into the Apple world and will probably be my last. Again nothing against people that do and I think they make a quality product, just not for me smile.gif

What I was trying to get at with my story only strengthens your point in that since Apple already your CC number(and companies like Dyle know if you have a Apple you have a CC number) those people become quite attractive...

Jim1384, I also agree it sounds odd that with your Dyle device the only channels you can't get are Dyle stations.......I'd suspect something is wrong.
post #459 of 510 Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

We drove to Duluth last night and my wife watched KSTP in the van from Rosemount to Rush City. She only used the telescoping antenna on the deice itself. Actually, I was pretty impressed that the signal held as well as it did that far north.

At the event at KSTP they explained to use that KMSP-9 and KARE-11 would show up as encrypted and that is exactly how they display. Maybe I should email them and ask them what there plans are for Mobile DTV.
post #460 of 510 Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Either you have the Dyle version of the Elgato Eye or you don't. You'll have to dig deeper into it.
post #461 of 510 Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I wholeheartedly agree with you about that and while I'm not sure about other i Devices but when trying to startup my pre-teen daughters iPod we got her for Christmas I discovered there is no way to continue without giving Apple a CC number and stating you are of age mad.gif Not wanting to tie my CC number to a device that could be easily lost/stolden the iPod went back(something that was NOT easy since once you open a Apple product apparently it's yours and no easy way to return it(I sneakily re-affixed the security tab with a blow dryer and said it was never opened wink.gif)). Later we purchased her a Samsung Galaxy media player(Android) like her older sister has yet has never needed a CC number nor purchased a app yet has a device full of them......This was my one venture into the Apple world and will probably be my last. Again nothing against people that do and I think they make a quality product, just not for me smile.gif

What I was trying to get at with my story only strengthens your point in that since Apple already your CC number(and companies like Dyle know if you have a Apple you have a CC number) those people become quite attractive...

Jim1384, I also agree it sounds odd that with your Dyle device the only channels you can't get are Dyle stations.......I'd suspect something is wrong.

Not sure that's entirely correct about CC numbers. Apple gift cards, which can be purchased in cash, allow you to open an Apple Account and transfer the gift card balance to an account without a CC number. This is precisely to cover the scenario you had; it's how grandparents can buy ipads/ipods for their grandkids AND give them something to spend without having to give over their CC details. You can buy Apple Gift cards with a CC online, but this doesn't link the purchasing CC with the account that 'cashes' the gift card

It also works effectively if you want to buy from an overseas Apple Store but don't have an overseas CC. (I buy music from non-UK stores by buying non-UK Apple gift cards and having separate accounts)
post #462 of 510 Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Not sure that's entirely correct about CC numbers. precisely to cover the scenario you had; it's how grandparents can buy ipads/ipods for their grandkids AND give them something to spend without having to give over their CC details. You can buy Apple Gift cards with a CC online, but this doesn't link the purchasing CC with the account that 'cashes' the gift card
I hadn't though of going that route but if I had we may have kept the iPod, good idea smile.gif
post #463 of 510 Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Well, surprisingly I received an reply from Dyle this evening! There response was asking me which app we are using. I explained to her that it is this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mydtv/id579336931?mt=8 At first, I thought that was a strange question, but then I got to wondering if there are other apps for that device and there are https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyetv-mobile-watch-live-tv/id545285553?mt=8 and. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyetv/id329886711?mt=8 is another one. Since the iPad Mini belongs to my wife, I hadn't really given much thought to more than one app for the Elgato device. She is watching it now, but maybe later I will download the other app and see if that gets 9 and 11.

Now I am wondering if there are two different apps for two different devices. is one app for:

-My DTV with Mobile 500 Alliance channels, and another for

-Eye TV with Dyle channels?

I received further information from Dyle. They tell me TWO different devices and TWO different apps. So, if like me, you live in a market with BOTH Mobile 500 Alliance and Dyle Channels, you would need to buy TWO different devices and use two different apps to get all of the Mobile DTV channels!
post #464 of 510 Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Jim,
Go jogging with the unit (to listen to the ball game) and let us know how that works out..biggrin.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #465 of 510 Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Trip (And The Group):

Do we currently have any ATSC-M/H channels in the US in which a Mobile DTV channel is actually carried on another broadcasters signal? I seem to recall with regards to regular ATSC that some areas have a cooperative arrangement in which say RF channel 23 would have 23.1 an ABC affiliate, 23.2 a CBS affiliate, and 23.3 an NBC affiliate. So, I am just curious if this is also happening with ATSC-M/H anywhere?

Jim
post #466 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Not counting those that are co-owned, I think KSTP carrying KTCA is the only example. I'm not thinking of any others off the top of my head.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #467 of 510 Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that these are now available through Wal-Mart.com, so I ordered one. I also looked at the box that out free ones from KSTP came in and they look almost identical to the ones shown at WalMart.com EXCEPT in the area towards the bottom it states MyDTV. The one shown on WalMArt.com does list Dyle. If will be interesting to see if the one from Wal-Mart work on just Dyle channels, which locally are KMSP-9 and KARE-11 or ALL including the Mobile 500 channels, which are KTCA2 and KSTP-5.
post #468 of 510 Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ I agree it will be interesting to see if you'll get all the channels available on the W/M version.
My daughter is seriously considering getting a iPhone, 4s I think, any advantage to her getting the 5 for this application? although I'm not sure she could get a 5 with her carrier(Virgin Mobile which I believe uses the Sprint network).
Also do you have a link for what your seeing at W/M?
thx
post #469 of 510 Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Here is the URL http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elgato-EyeTV-Mobile/22952996

Here are the System Requirements

iPod touch (4th generation), iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2 or iPad (3rd generation) with iOS 5.1 or later

iPod touch (5th generation), iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation) and iPad mini require optional Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately)

Dyle™ mobile TV coverage (check www.dyle.tv/coverage-map or map below for availability in your area)

I rather doubt that it matters much if it is iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, or iPhone 5 other than newer devices will need Apple’s Lightning to 30-pin adapter.
post #470 of 510 Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link Jim, the way the adapter hooks to the device I'd think a iPhone 4/4s would be better since it wouldn't require a adapter, lengthening the EyeTV even more smile.gif
post #471 of 510 Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

I did also notice this key phrase in the fourth or fifth paragraph of the press release for the RCA Mobile TV Tablet DDA850R. http://www.dyle.tv/news/watch-surf-and-play-with-the-rca-mobile-tv-tablet-delivering-live-tv-channels-and-go-anywhere-convenience/
".....The RCA Mobile TV Tablet also receives mobile digital TV channels from broadcasters not affiliated with Dyle....." That makes me wonder if that is true of ALL Dyle devices or if that is somehow unique to the RCA DDA850R. As of right now I am going to speculate that this is true of all Dyle receivers and, if that is indeed the case, I am sort of puzzled why Elgato even makes the My DTV version then if that will only decode Mobile 500 Alliance channels. Of course, as luck would h ave it, my Elgato EyeTV Mobile (dyle version) is scheduled to be delivered next week when we are on vacation! Oh well, I will get it soon enough and report back here my findings.
post #472 of 510 Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

I did get some additional information about the RCA DMT580D. It's expected in late April or May. You'll be able to buy it directly from www.GetMyElectronics.com, once it's available.
post #473 of 510 Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up the Dyle device this afternoon after work. It charged for about 3 1/2 hours and then my wife tried it with the iPod Touch and Mini iPad. The Dyle device gets 6 channels in my DMA. So, for anybody looking for a device, I would recommend to avoid the My DTV and just get the Dyle Eye TV!
post #474 of 510 Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

We made a trip this morning from Rosemount MN 55068 to Mankato MN 56002.My wife tried watching KMSP-9 and it was sort of sporadic on County Road 32. Then I realized that she was trying to tune in a VHF channel on a 6inch antenna!
post #475 of 510 Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is Mobile TV Dead In The Water?

http://www.display-central.com/free-news/display-daily/is-mobile-tv-dead-in-the-water/

"In Europe, you can take our product out in a city like Munich and easily get 35 channels -- all sorts of channels, including sports, movie channels, and it's all free, over-the-air. ..."

I wonder if this has something to do with the selection of transmission systems.
post #476 of 510 Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Where do I go to see what Mobile DTV stations are transmitting in my area? I found a list from "rabbit ears" but it seemed like it was an old, non-update link and I obviously want April 2013 kind of info.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #477 of 510 Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The old list is still probably fine. Broadcasters haven't done much in the last year or so as to mobile.
post #478 of 510 Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"Sinclair Broadcast Group is preparing 10 stations for mobile DTV and aims to broadcast mobile-capable signals to them over the next six months. The stations are KEYE Austin, WBFF Baltimore, WKRC Cincinnati, WKEF-WRGT Dayton, WLOS Asheville, WPGH Pittsburgh, KUTV Salt Lake City, WPEC West Palm Beach and KDNL St. Louis. "

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/492637-Sinclair_Preps_10_Stations_For_Mobile_DTV.php

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #479 of 510 Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Where do I go to see what Mobile DTV stations are transmitting in my area? I found a list from "rabbit ears" but it seemed like it was an old, non-update link and I obviously want April 2013 kind of info.

I update the RabbitEars list as updates are provided to me.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #480 of 510 Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

Is Mobile TV Dead In The Water?

http://www.display-central.com/free-news/display-daily/is-mobile-tv-dead-in-the-water/

"In Europe, you can take our product out in a city like Munich and easily get 35 channels -- all sorts of channels, including sports, movie channels, and it's all free, over-the-air. ..."

I wonder if this has something to do with the selection of transmission systems.

In Europe, the mobile TV system was originally going to be DVB-H, requiring totally separate transmission infrastructure, but even though many countries trialled it, few launched services, and apart from some old Nokia mobile phones I don't think much practical hardware was developed.

However the regular DVB-T used for standard OTA broadcasts is 'good enough' in higher power, mainly urban, areas to provide acceptable (to many) mobile reception - and in some countries this can get you many unencrypted OTA services (in some territories a significant number of channels are encrypted for pay-TV though) So there aren't specific and separate broadcasts or feeds for mobile devices, the regular OTA transmission scheme is proving "OK" in many cases, so you can buy DVB-T dongles for your iOS or Android device, or a battery powered Wifi DVB-T receiver (which can be a little bit more practical as it isn't tied to a specific interface or platform - and also allows you to position the receiver separate to your tablet/phone in fringe areas)

However European countries are smaller, and often have more favourable terrain compared to the US, so it isn't a like-for-like comparison of transmission systems - though there's no doubt that harmonising around the DVB standards in Europe (and other areas) has made things a bit easier in DVB territories in some ways.

The BBC have trialled a new mobile system DVB-T2Lite, which allows a regular DVB-T2 transmission to be time-sliced, so that for a percentage of the time it carries a high-bitrate OTA signal aimed at domestic reception with a regular roof-top or decent interior antenna (aerial in the UK...), but for the remaining time it carries a lower-bite rate, more robustly modulated signal aimed at mobile reception. Obviously this removes bandwith from the main OTA signal, but is a solution to the newer higher bitrate modulation schemes (DVB-T2 is running at 40Mbs using 32k 256QAM in 8MHz in the UK for our national HD mux) which may be more difficult to receive on the move.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page