AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

What stations around the country are actually broadcasting Mobile DTV channels today?

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atscmph

My list may not be complete.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 510 Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Someone posted a screenshot of mobile DTV in the Charlotte local thread a few days ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18233653
post #63 of 510 Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From Broadcasting & Cable

Quote:

NAB 2010: Broadcasters Announce National Mobile DTV Joint Venture

A dozen major station groups team up for national service, aim to reach 150 million U.S. residents

By John Eggerton

A dozen major TV groups are teaming up to provide content and spectrum for a national mobile DTV service called Pearl Mobile DTV Company LLC.

Belo, Cox, Fox, Gannett Broadcasting, Scripps, Hearst Television, ION Television, Media General Inc., Meredith Corp., NBC, Post-Newsweek Stations, and Raycom Media will get together to form a "standalone joint venture," according to an announcement at the NAB Show in Las Vegas.

Spectrum for the service will come from the Fox, Ion and NBCU/Telemundo owned-and-operated stations, as well as the nine other groups.

The service will reach 150 million U.S. residents, said the companies, and content will include "live and on-demand video, local and national news from print and electronic sources, as well as sports and entertainment programming," according to the groups.

TVNewsCheck reported in December that Gannett, Media General, Hearst Television, Cox, Belo, Scripps, Ion Media, Raycom and Post-Newsweek had formed a joint venture called the "Pearl Project," which was seeking to use its scale to raise capital and cut deals with carriers, receiver manufacturers, retailers, programmers and advertisers.

The announcement comes against the backdrop of the FCC's plan to encourage broadcasters to give up spectrum for wireless broaband, but broadcasters are looking to pool and leverage their own spectrum to be players in the new media space.

"The venture is designed to complement the Federal Communication Commission's (FCC) National Broadband Initiative by giving consumers mobile access to video content while reducing congestion of the nation's wireless broadband infrastructure," the companies said Tuesday. "In addition, the service's mobile content network will have the capacity to deliver local and national time-sensitive emergency information to citizens across the U.S."

"Local broadcasters are the backbone of the U.S. media industry," said David J. Barrett, President and CEO of Hearst Television Inc., in announcing the venture's official launch. "This sharing of content, broadcast spectrum, marketing resources and capital is unprecedented, and underscores U.S. broadcasters' commitment to bringing vital local news, weather, and emergency information to increasingly mobile U.S. consumers. This is a critically important initiative that holds great promise for our audiences and the television industry. This is truly the next generation of local television service."

"This initiative offers a path for the next generation of video consumption, and will help the FCC in its goal of ensuring efficient and reliable broadband service for US consumers," added John Wallace, President, NBC Local Media, in an announcement issued from the convention.

In a speech to the NAB convention earlier Tuesday (Apr. 13), FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski gave a shout out to mobile DTV and said he thought broadcasters would be able to provide that service and turn over some spectrum for wireless broadband if they chose.

Genachowski said it was a "myth" that the spectrum reclamation plan would kill mobile DTV.

"I'm pleased that the DTV transition has enabled the development of standards and the launch of market trials for mobile DTV," he said in his keynote speech. "Our job is not to predict innovation or business models, but to enable them. Under the incentive auction plan, broadcasters will be able to provide mobile DTV, both licensees that choose to retain all 6 megahertz, and those that choose to share."

NAB President Gordon Smith said Monday at the conference that some 150 stations will be on the air with mobile DTV by the end of the year. A trial of mobile DTV service is scheduled to begin May 2 in D.C. Smith said that test will help broadcasters' lobying efforts because it will "enable us to go to Congressional offices and show them the future." Smith also told B&C last week he was skeptical of the claims that broadcasters could do mobile DTV and give up spectrum.

Sandy Schwartz, president of the Cox Media Group, told B&C in an interview that other broadcasters have expressed interest in joining the current dozen members. He said he thinks the new venture, which is currently in the "memorandum of understanding" stage, is willing to take on some new members, but not right away. "Probably right now simply because what we need to do is get moving very quickly. The bigger the group is the more difficult it is to move forward."

He said there were no contracts in place with cellular carriers to put the TV tuners in their phones, but adds "I think we have gotten nothing but positive feedback."

He said that with the memorandum of understanding now in place, they would be "hard at work starting today" to hammer out the formal agreement in "the next several months." But he also said that he didn't think they would be waiting for that agreement to get things moving. "I think there are some things we can do while the lawyers are hammering out the definitive agreement."

"Mobile, and maybe the better word is 'portable,' is a fundamental premise for the future of our consumer behaviour and we need to be able to take our programming where consumers are, and this does that," David Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting, told B&C.

"We felt very much that this needed to be a massive play pulling together the best of national and local content bringing together the best of national and local content along with the digital distribution system that we have already invested in."

He also said that massive play should be the trigger for cellular carriers and tech companies to get on board. "I think now that we have this venture put together, on parallell paths to finalizeing the memorandum of understanding will be engaging with device manufacturers and wireless carriers."

Glen Dickson contributed to this story.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #64 of 510 Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I had the opportunity today to speak with an attendee at the NAB conference regarding the new mobile digital TV market.

He indicated that the ATSC-M market has a LOT of product in the manufacturing pipeline that will be here in plenty of time for the holiday shopping season. Evidently, there was a substantial amount of capital invested in the hardware to make the hand-held devices possible.

He indicated that the greatest concern (besides the FCC's current spectrum grab attempt) among the manufacturers and vendors was the inefficiency of the antennas that would be included with the units. Generally, they would be small, extendable monopoles with very limited performance.
post #65 of 510 Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Lotsa stuff for mobile out here..have been watching 16 channels of mobile here with a Tivit receiver bluetoothed to an I-Pad.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #66 of 510 Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Lotsa stuff for mobile out here..have been watching 16 channels of mobile here with a Tivit receiver bluetoothed to an I-Pad.

Wow, that's cool.

post #67 of 510 Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #68 of 510 Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
WPWR (aka WFLD) is testing M/H video on WPWR's ATSC signal. Wonder if there is any way to decode the transport PID from TS reader? Any takers pm me!

PID 0x1eee
LL
post #69 of 510 Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WPWR has had M/H for a very long time.

I don't think the M/H stream can be decoded even when saved by TSReader; the hardware has to decode it differently or something. I have heard that from someone who was heavily involved in the development of ATSC-M/H.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #70 of 510 Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

AIUI, the error correction and other processing done by the ATSC demod blows away the M/H data. It might be possible to decode M/H if you get the raw 32Mb/s from an 8VSB modulated channel, but I'm not familiar enough with the standard to say that for sure.
post #71 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The writer of this article would have done well to research the topic a bit more, but was still of interest. On the 1st page it talks about last year's "switch to digital" as being the reason it is now available.

Quote:
The Mobile Digital TV era actually dawned last year, when U.S. television stations switched from analog to digital broadcasts. The move to digital broadcasting freed up wireless spectrum for TV stations, allowing them to offer subchannels designed specifically for in-transit viewers.

M/H (MDTV) has nothing to do with analog being turned off. The final standard was just ratified last fall, but that could have happened 2+ years earlier while analog was still around. It also does not require more spectrum, but more bits within the existing 6MHz/19.39Mbps stream.

Quote:
By late spring, according to the Open Mobile Video Coalition trade group, some 30 stations will be broadcasting in the new format.

I thought we had more than this already, but a quick check of the RE MDTV list suggests 28 are active, not including Las Vegas.

Quote:
Like broadcasts from regular television stations, Mobile DTV channel broadcasts have a limited range. In the case of the New York test station (WPXN), I could receive a signal only within a radius of about 10 miles from the broadcast tower. When Mobile DTV stations go live, however, reception supposedly will be possible even at distances of 20 to 40 miles. This is welcome news for travelers who find themselves delayed in airport lounges, though passengers whiling away time on long car trips will still have to change channels repeatedly.

I'm not aware of any power changes in the works, as being distinct from the main DTV power. WPXN has plans to improve its signal, but this does not apply to other stations.

Once an LA station goes live with MDTV, I will be conducting some tests, but I expect coverage to be spotty where I live (S. OC). At work (92780), I would expect it to be ok.
post #72 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
ATSC-M/H is more robust than ATSC, hence has more range, IF USING SAME ANTENNA,
but of course, a mobile antenna is going to more than kill this advantage.

Many stations are adding a SECOND transmitter and antenna system for ATSC-M/H in order
to broadcast Vertically Polarization in addition to current Horizontal Polarization. This
usually DOUBLES the total amount of power transmitted, which can be summed using
Circularly Polarized antennas (like rabbit ears or a monster Helix). CP transmissions
also can help to receive signals in the concrete jungle, even w/o a CP antenna.

Distributed Transmitters (Gap Fillers) could also be used to help receive ATSC-M/H....maybe....
post #73 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
TSReader only sees the demodulated MPEG2 data stream, not the raw bits.
ATSC-M/H demodulation involves looking for a distributed sync signal
embedded across the otherwise unused ATSC "filler" packets...

TSReader will need to be upgraded to process output(s), incl MPEG4,
from the new ATSC-M/H demodulator chips.
post #74 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

TSReader will need to be upgraded to process output(s) from the new ATSC-M/H demodulator chips.

Rod is aware and looking at the implementation. No promises tho..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #75 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

TSReader only sees the demodulated MPEG2 data stream, not the raw bits.
ATSC-M/H demodulation involves looking for a distributed sync signal
embedded across the otherwise unused ATSC "filler" packets...

TSReader will need to be upgraded to process output(s), incl MPEG4,
from the new ATSC-M/H demodulator chips.

Mpeg 4 isnt an issue as I use it w/ tsreader now to decode some true free to air satellite signals
post #76 of 510 Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 View Post

Mpeg 4 isnt an issue as I use it w/ tsreader now to decode some true free to air satellite signals

That is correct.

Bob

post #77 of 510 Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

‘All Systems Go’ For May 3 Launch of Mobile Digital TV Consumer Showcase in Washington, D.C.

http://www.omvc.org/_assets/docs/pre...-NAB-FINAL.pdf

Quote:
Nine Stations Transmitting More than 20 Programs

The programs to be transmitted on the new service include a wide selection of free over-the-air local and network programs as well as premium channels usually seen on cable or satellite. Viewers will find:
  • Local NBC programming from WRC (NBC Universal);
  • Local Fox programming from WTTG (Fox) and local My Network programming from WDCA along with the Fox News Channel and the Fox Business Network;
  • MSNBC, CNBC, and other premium programming to be announced on WPXW (ION Media Networks);
  • Programming from Univision and additional premium programming to be announced and sent from facilities of WFDC (Univision);
  • PBS Mobile and PBS Kids shows from WHUT (Howard University);
  • Local CBS programming and weather radar from WUSA (Gannett Broadcasting);
  • Global News and information on MHz 1, and premium programming to be announced and sent from WNVC (MHz Networks);
  • CW network shows, and entertainment/music shows from This TV and TheCOOLTV from WNUV (Sinclair Broadcast Group.)

post #78 of 510 Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From Broadcast Engineering
Quote:

Mobile DTV tests begin in Washington, D.C.

By Michael Grotticelli

In the D.C. test, the OMVC is working with media measurement firm Rentrak and market researcher Harris Interactive to study consumer usage habits.

Nine TV stations in Washington, D.C., began transmissions today as part of a four-month test of the ATSC’s A/153 Mobile DTV standard. The Washington Consumer Showcase tests will be coordinated by the Open Mobile Video Coalition (OMVC) and are designed to measure consumer behavior and expectations about mobile digital television.

The OMVC, a 30-station group organization representing nearly 900 TV stations, said “hundreds” of Washington, D.C., area citizens are participating with LG Electronics and Samsung-supplied cell phones and other portable devices. However, they did not offer an exact number of people equipped to receive the signals or say how the participants were selected.

Anne Schelle, executive director of the OMVC, said participating stations are “delivering on the promise of making digital television a mobile service you can watch wherever you go."

Member stations, which have made temporary deals with several program providers, will not charge for the 20 channels of content broadcast during the trial. As for a permanent working business model, there are several scenarios for the future but none are being employed yet.

In the D.C. test, the OMVC is working with media measurement firm Rentrak and market researcher Harris Interactive to study consumer usage habits. The test will involve several features of the technology, including interactive voting and polling, interactive advertising, electronic service guides for program information and transmissions of emergency alerts and closed-captioning information.

A range of prototype mobile devices, including mobile phones, netbooks and portable media players will be used. LG Electronics and Samsung are sponsoring the trial, two companies that hope to manufacture and sell components for the new technology should it catch on. Sprint is participating as the wireless carrier in the test.

Programming for the test will be fed to the nine stations and controlled at a new mobile DTV network operations center, located at the studios of WUSA-DT. The participating stations in Washington are WRC-DT, WTTG-DT, WDCA-DT, WUSA-DT, WPXW-DT, WFDC-DT, WHUT-DT, WNVT-DT and WNUV-DT.

Harris will supply its ATSC A/153-compliant MPH platform to six of the nine stations, while the rest will use Rohde & Schwarz and Thomson Grass Valley (WTTG) transmission technology.

A typical mobile TV system integrates into most DTV transmission systems and includes everything that broadcasters need to launch and support one or more ATSC Mobile DTV program streams. The complete solution includes mobile video encoders, a mobile networking adapter, an exciter, as well as a special server that generates service signaling and transmits an electronic service guide. The mobile DTV broadcast platforms also feature the Nagravision service protection system, which enables stations to offer premium program streams.

In related mobile DTV news, station group Belo is launching mobile digital TV transmissions at its stations in Charlotte, NC, (the NBC affiliate WCNC-TV) and Seattle, WA, (KONG-TV, an independent station) using the Harris MPH platform for ATSC Mobile DTV broadcast. Belo plans to expand the service nationwide in the next few months.

KONG serves as one of the model stations that were set up to support receiver-device developers. While about 40 are now transmitting a mobile DTV signal in the United States, the OMVC has stated that some 150 stations will be on the air by the end of the year.

post #79 of 510 Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

If we had a local broadcaster with Mobile DTV I would give this some serious thought.

http://www.mmitp.com/featuredproduct.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=280513257489
post #80 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LG Electronics Demonstrates Mobile DTV Receiver, Related Technology to Detroit Automaker Audience

DETROIT, June 3 /PRNewswire/ -- With two local broadcasters in Detroit among the first in the country transmitting Mobile Digital Television signals, LG Electronics today demonstrated its industry-standard mobile DTV technology to representatives from the automobile industry and discussed how easy it will be to integrate Mobile DTV reception into existing and future car "infotainment" systems.

LG's Mobile DTV is the first consumer electronics product certified to comply with mobile digital television (DTV) technology now being deployed by American broadcasters. The DP570MH mobile receiver is the electronics industry's first portable, battery-operated mobile DTV in the United States that is designed to receive new rugged over-the-air signals being transmitted by local broadcasters as well as display closed captioning information for viewers who rely on text for the full enjoyment of TV programs.

Ideal for Automotive Applications

The new product, which will be available later this year, is ideal for backseat viewing by passengers and the technology can easily be integrated into car video systems such as those demonstrated today in Detroit.

"It's easy to receive the new mobile DTV broadcasts with our new portable DTV, which comes equipped with a built-in antenna and the ability to play DVDs and CDs," said Tim Alessi, director of product development, LG Electronics USA, Inc. "And this technology can be easily integrated into rear-seat screens as well."

A First for Mobile Viewers

Ideal for reception of Mobile DTV any time, virtually anywhere, and at any speed, the DP570MH Mobile DTV offers the flexibility of both over-the-air reception and the convenience of built-in DVD playback. Equipped with stereo speakers and a 7-inch wide screen to display crystal clear digital TV images.

The DP570MH comes equipped to play DVD movie discs and audio CDs, and it can also display .JPG photos and play WMA music files from its USB2.0 connection. The Mobile Digital Television comes equipped with two earphone jacks so that more than one passenger can enjoy Mobile DTV shows or movies in the back seat of the car, or on a train.

Equipped with a removable battery that powers the device for up to 2.5 hours in TV mode or up to 4.5 hours during DVD playback, the device includes both AC and Auto power adaptors. The DP570MH Portable Television with integrated DVD player will be available later this year at a suggested retail price of $249.

Chips Available for In-Car Infotainment Systems

Co-developer of the technology at the heart of the Mobile DTV standard, LG began mass production of the critical component for Mobile DTV reception – the LG2160A integrated circuit (IC) chip – a year ago. The latest version, the LG2161R single chip design that includes both the tuner and demodulator, is much smaller – only seven millimeters square – and it consumes less power than earlier versions, supports various interfaces and provides improved performance.

This key component of automotive mobile DTV receivers already can be found in a variety of new products being introduced by various manufacturers this year for mobile DTV, from laptop USB accessory receivers to netbooks with integrated mobile DTV tuners and other products.

Standardized by the Advanced Television Systems Committee and formally adopted as the mobile DTV standard last October, the new Mobile DTV standard allows broadcasters to use a portion of the existing 19.4 Megabit-per-second DTV channel capacity to transmit data with extremely robust characteristics suitable for mobile, pedestrian and handheld applications. The mobile DTV signal is also compatible with 8-VSB DTV, which was also developed by Zenith, LG's U.S. research and development lab.

SOURCE LG Electronics

post #81 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Available Mobile DTV Products:
- SKEnterprise MDTV-1, $199
Includes tuner module, remote control, antenna, etc. Has composite video output.

- Power Acoustik DTV-MHU, $180
Includes tuner module, antenna, remote control, etc. Has composite video output.

Announced DTV Products:
- Tivit
Mobile DTV receiver that streams via Bluetooth or USB to devices including iPhone/iPad/iPod. Price expected between $90 & $120.

- DTV Interactive Storm
Mobile DTV tuner in USB flash drive form factor, for PC use.

- LG DP570MH, $250
Portable DVD player with Mobile DTV Tuner, 7” WVGA LCD Display, stereo speakers, remote control, etc. Has composite video output.

- Winegard Cio $600
A multi-standard media player with a touch-screen 10.2" wide-screen LCD monitor that can receive Mobile Digital TV signals. Cio plays a wide range of media formats, including DVD, CD, iPod®, MP3, SD and other card media, USB and game input. Wi-fi and 3G are optional.

post #82 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Announced DTV Products:
Tivit Mobile DTV receiver that streams via Bluetooth to devices including iPhone/iPad/iPod. Price expected between $90 & $120.

I have the Tivit's.. they work well with iPhone and iPad..and can also be used via USB connection.

The DTV Storm also works well:

http://www.dtvinteractive.com/storm....ngle_receiver/

Bob

post #83 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I have the Tivit's.. they work well with iPhone and iPad..and can also be used via USB connection.

The DTV Storm also works well:

http://www.dtvinteractive.com/storm....ngle_receiver/

Thanks, added to list.

post #84 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't seen any place actually selling the DP570MH yet. Is it actually available?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #85 of 510 Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe...............

Amazon seems to indicate that it will not be available for a while and I would have a tendency to believe that before the other store.

http://www.percys.com/showproduct.as...gn=Google-Base

http://www.amazon.com/LG-DP570MH-7-I.../dp/B003EYV7EC
post #86 of 510 Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

LG Tells me it will be a bit for the 570, been trying to get an advance production model myself.

Bob

post #87 of 510 Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

List corrected.

post #88 of 510 Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

The writer of this article would have done well to research the topic a bit more, but was still of interest. On the 1st page it talks about last year's "switch to digital" as being the reason it is now available.

M/H (MDTV) has nothing to do with analog being turned off. The final standard was just ratified last fall, but that could have happened 2+ years earlier while analog was still around. It also does not require more spectrum, but more bits within the existing 6MHz/19.39Mbps stream.

I believed what he meant was after June 12th those companies that had paid for the 700 MHz spectrum were finally able to use it.
post #89 of 510 Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From Broadcast Engineering

Quote:

United States lags behind the rest of the world in mobile TV adoption

By Michael Grotticelli

When South Korea plays Greece this weekend in its World Cup soccer opener in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, many fans will follow a live broadcast of the match on their mobile phones.

In South Korea, free-to-air mobile TV is now five years old. According to the country’s broadcasters, 27 million people — 56 percent of the population — watch regularly.

While South Koreans are the world leaders in mobile TV viewing, the technology is also catching on in China, Southeast Asia, India, Africa and Latin America, where 80 million people now have mobile phones that can receive free, live TV broadcasts.

At least 40 million people are watching live TV this year on mobile devices, according to Anna Maxbauer, an analyst at IMS Research in Austin, TX. Most live in emerging markets where operators, which prefer to sell TV programming for a fee through their wireless networks, do not control the sale of handsets.

Indeed, free mobile video viewing is fairly common just about everywhere except the United States and Europe, where operator resistance and a variety of conflicting technical standards and program licensing hurdles have kept the technology out of the global mainstream.

In South Korea, people watch free digital terrestrial broadcasts on mobile handsets and 2 million pay to subscribe to satellite programming, according to Korean broadcasters. The typical screen made by Samsung is a 3in diagonal. Batteries support three to six hours of viewing. In Korea, free mobile TV broadcasts are interspersed with ads.

“In the markets where people use this, we have found that viewing tends to be pretty high,” said Diana Jovin, a vice president for corporate marketing and business development at Telegent Systems, a mobile TV chipmaker.

Telegent is shipping about 750,000 chips each month to handset makers, most designed for viewing analog broadcasts in markets like Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Russia, Nigeria, Thailand, Egypt and China. Brazil is one of Telegent’s biggest markets.

In the United States and Europe, broadcasters and wireless operators have been slow to embrace mobile television technology. Those operators control what technology goes into handsets. A major hurdle to free-to-air broadcasting in the United States is, ironically, that it is free. That offers no incentive to operators focused on raising revenue per customer.

“Ask anybody if they want to watch free TV on their phone. Everybody is going to want to say sure,” said Jim Oehlerking, the senior director for mobile TV business development at Motorola. “The challenge is getting the mobile media marketplace to the point where content owners, carriers and broadcasters work out a business model.”

In April, at the NAB Show, 12 U.S. broadcasters and television content owners including Fox, NBC, Gannett Broadcasting, Hearst and Cox Media, formed a joint venture to pool their broadcasting spectrum and eventually deliver mobile TV to 150 million people. That effort, however, is in its initial stages and no deadlines have been set for adoption.

Last month, Sprint and nine broadcasters in the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore area began a four-month trial that will broadcast programming to mobile phones, netbook computers and portable DVD players made by Samsung, LG Electronics and Dell.

Last week, Detroit-based digital television stations WDIV (NBC affiliate) and WXYZ (ABC station) went live on the air with a mobile DTV signal, based on the ATSC A/153 standard, to enable automakers to test in-car entertainment systems that can receive the local broadcast signals in moving vehicles.

The Open Mobile Video Coalition, organizer of these U.S.-based events, is hopeful consumers will take to the technology. To date, no major U.S. wireless carrier has said it would carry the broadcasters’ signals, although Sprint has supported a few trials, such as the one in Washington, D.C.

post #90 of 510 Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does anyone know if the Winegard CIO or the LG DP570MH have external antenna connections?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page