Tivax LX1000 HDTV receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'll try and add detailed photos of this box at a later time. I have them but just need to get up to speed on adding photos to a post.
Specs:
Selectable output resolutions-480i-1080i (no native passthru of resolution). Resolution is changed from button labeled "switch" on remote.
Outputs-HDMI(no audio though, must use another output port for audio if using HDMI), Optical audio, Component, S-video, Composite and L&R audio. NO RF out.
Inputs-RF, 12v DC negative ground(1200 ma xformer is 120-240v ac input)

Reception-ATSC, and even though the manual says NO it IS QAM compatible. I verified this at a neighbors who has cable, I'm OTA only. In the setup their is the option for AIR, STD cable, HRC cable, and IRC cable. Selecting STD or IRC I was able to get many digital SD channels as well as our local HD channels. I find the whole QAM thing odd since even the RF port on the back of the unit says ASTC in and all throughout the manual they reference ANTENNA be hooked to RF in. Well it DOES get QAM. Note no analog what so ever with this box. It's ATSC/QAM only.

First I'll say the manual, while somewhat understandable, at times seems to be referring to a different box. Features it say it has, it does not. Others it says it does not, it does this is part of the reason it's taken me so long to review this box. It's very odd, to say the least. Note it is the correct manual and box, things just aren't always like they should be.

NEGATIVES:

No audio via HDMI. The manual says it does this but it also shows a diagram showing both HDMI and optical audio should be hooked up to your TV. Well my TV and I'm sure most DON'T have a optical audio input. I suppose you could use the analog RCA audio out if your TV has RCA audio that goes with the HDMI input, but in my case I'm using a 4x1 HDMI switcher since my TV only has one HDMI input. Using the switch I cannot use separate audio.
Can't add channels, only total rescan which wipes out previous scan. Note the manual says you can, but that option is NOT on my box.
Weaker reception, not nearly as good as my Zenith CECB. It could not get one channel that is 66%(2/3 bar) on my Zenith. Same channel is 30% on my older Panny LCD and 60% on my Panny EZ-28 DVDR. Other strong channels were OK on the Tivax, but it's no DX'er thats for sure.
Can't enter in a channel not found on channel scan, also cannot enter in real channel number of channel, only virtual number.
No signal strength meter, even though manual says it should. Option missing on my box.
Slow to scan channels, although faster than my Panasonic DVDR w/digital tuner, but nowhere as fast as my TV or Zenith CECB. Their is also a annoying audio lag when changing channels. It can take 2-4 seconds for the sound to come on when changing channels. I've never had this problem with any box I've used.
When box is set to output 720p and 1080i their is NO output to composite and S-video outputs. When box is setup for 480i/p their is output to all ports. This means you cannot watch HD and at the same time record SD to a DVDR.
Analog outputs overscan a fair amount of picture on all sides. I think it's probably within the guidelines but I prefer 0% overscan and have my TV setup for this. I don't like cropping of the image, which is not possible with this box. Note if your TV overscans and then you use this box you'll be missing lots of information, even worst than the Digital Stream 9900 box I tried.
NOT 4:3 friendly. Only menu options are 16:9 and auto. No zoom option(even though manual says it should have this option and their is a button on the remote that says aspect. That button actually brings up the guide)
Guide does not give descriptions, only listing of programs which goes out about 10 hours. PCIP header description usually has Chinese characters on it Many times the guide also has times switched and will say the current program is one that was 1 or 2 hours ago The guide on this thing is really wacky. Like nothing I've ever seen before(or hope to see again).
Button on remote called FREEZE, which does nothing. Manual says it's "undefined".
The remote says STB-1 on it(Tivaxs NON HD box) as well as the inside box photos show the STB-T1, but the box is defiantly a LX1000.
At times the units display does not correspond to the OSD's channel number. The OSD is correct, the units display sometimes just gets confused. I think it sometimes shows the actual channel number along with sub channel. Example OTA channel 2.2 in my area (real channel 34) will show on the display as 34.3. A channel up/down usually gets the correct number on the display.
Unit turns itself OFF after 4 1/2 hrs. Their is no options to change this, unlike CECBs. This box would not work for unattended DVDR recordings.
No way to not stretch 4:3 SD content. 4:3 HD is not stretched though.
No initial EZ setup (auto run) function. You just have to jump into the setup yourself.
Lockups, the box locked up tight on 2 occasions. Once while accessing the guide the other while changing channels. The box had to be unplugged to clear it.
No modulated RF output. Personally I don't really care about this since I don't use modulated CH3/4 output but I would have liked a RF passthru port to hook up to say a DVDR or my TV to be able to get the analog channels.

POSITIVES:
Very good PQ, similar to Sammy 260.
$100 price + shipping. More that $70 less than a new Sammy.
Unit has a display (that is usually accurate)
QAM even though not a advertised feature.
This box, unlike Sammy does output OSD's to all outputs.
Metal case that runs cool, like Zenith CECB.
Front of unit has many controls, CH up/down, Volume, Menu, power, etc. The unit is mostly operational even without remote.
Unit has a blue light when "outputting" SD and turns to RED when outputting HD.

CONCLUSION: IMO this box is not quite ready for primetime. It might have the goods I was looking for but it's just to unfinished and has several "deal breakers" AFAIK. No audio via HDMI is a killer, as is the boxes insistence on turning off every 4 1/2 hrs, if not used.
I'm awaiting a RMA. No one got back to me on Friday
P.S. sorry for the disorganized post. I wanted to do a nice job on it, but lack of time killed me and I wanted to get this information out ASAP since several people were asking about the box. Again as time warrants I'll try and update this post with detailed photos.
According to the importer Tivax this box is very new. They are the only source for not. They can be contacted at 1-888-33T-IVAX or Support@TIVAX.COM. They also sell the year old SD converter STB-T1 as well as newer CECB STB-T9. Both have threads here on AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That does sound like a real p.o.s. I wonder if you have a wrong remote or the firmware is confused and needs a flash? It seems very goofy.

FYI: the remote for my STB-T1 does not state any model number, only "Tivax".

The "Freeze" button freezes the display on the current video frame, the "Switch" button switches between component and composite/s-video output. The "Aspect" button does change the aspect and the "Info" button pulls up the "guide" (such as it is). This box allows direct entry of "real" channel numbers but it's fairly useless in the case of stations with numerous subs because the real sub-numbers are different than the virtual sub-numbers. No "Sleep" by default on this one. Options are selectable by remote button or menu and include 30, 60 and 90 minutes only.

Indeed, the LX isn't ready for primetime. It's confused.

Your big surprise for me is the box runs cool.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Wow, what a disappointment. From what I've read, both the STB-T1 and STB-T9 work reasonably well (apart from T1's heat issue), but it seems Tivax/Michley dropped the ball on this one. The other boxes appear to be based on Zoran's reference designs and firmware, and I wonder why Tivax tried to reinvent the wheel with the LX1000. Did you pop the cover to see what chips are inside?
post #4 of 27 Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jll544 View Post

Did you pop the cover to see what chips are inside?

Yes their in my list of photos I want to post, when I figure out the whole posting photos thing if someone wants to PM me your email I could send them to you to post, otherwise I'll have to check into setting up some kind of Photobucket type of account.
As far as wrong remote or messed up firmware I don't think so. The manual does show the remote I got and the manual also confirms my findings as far as what the buttons do. The box while it does provide a decent HD picture defiantly has its flaws.
My first thought was to maybe exchange it for the STB-T1 but considering how this unit worked I was leary of everything Tivax. Maybe I should reconsider exchanging it for the STB-T1 since I really don't need the HD. My main use was to provide a good quality S-video out to feed my analog DVDR. The true HD was just a bonus, oh and I guess my SD Sony TV has component inputs which I was also going to use at the same time. Since I need S-video out as well as component for my TV, it eliminated all CECBs.
Don, how has your STB-T1 been working? Was the original lockups just a fluke? and again this is a big one for me, are you saying that the STB-T1 does NOT turn off after 4 1/2 hours? The LX defiantly does this. I also have the option of making the unit sleep after 30, 60 and 90 min, but the 4 1/2 hr. thing is different, it can't be turned off. Oh and one last thing Don, does the STB-T1 give you program descriptions and how far does the guide go out. The LX defiantly needs some work on it's guide functions, like it's half baked
post #5 of 27 Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jll544 was nice enough to say he would post the photos for me.
I won't be back on line until Tuesday. Thanks again Jll
post #6 of 27 Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM

post #7 of 27 Old 05-18-2008, 03:41 PM

That reversible packaging box (or whatever that is) they're using for the LX is bizarre.

Your remote is identical to mine except for mine doesn't have a model number on it.

The STB-T1 has been doing okay. No crash and reboot for a week of steady burning but I've given it a little help. I've added more airspace for the bottom venting by elevating the feet another ½". I set it on two strips of granite tile. I've also placed some heavy pyramidal metallic mineral specimens on the top to act as external heat sinks. Eventually I plan to return it for replacement.

The STB-T1 does not turn itself off at all unless you specifically invoke the sleep timer.

It doesn't really appear to have a guide. All it offers is the channel number and call sign, current date and time, what's on now and the scheduled runtime of that program and all the resolution and audio information for the broadcast. I don't know if that's all it has or if that's the only info available in my area. It shows basically the same info as an old GE tv we have.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice job on the photos jll544, thanks!
Don, yes the shipping box is strange. The inside is full glossy photos of what I assume is your STB-T1, while the outside is just white cardboard, no printing, then it has a sleeve type of heavy paper that slides over the box. On that sleeve is the color photos of the LX1000. I also find it funny that the remote that came with my LX1000 actually said STB-T1 on it, while the remote that came with your STB-T1 said nothing on it yet you say the remotes look identical otherwise. The LX manual shows the remote I got though, including the STB-T1 markings.

Still no RMA from Tivax, I just sent them another email. Maybe I'll have to call them again tomorrow. I'm kind of in a quandary on what to do. Exchange the LX for the STB which they may or may not charge shipping for. Then if I get the STB and it also has issues I'll need to send that back too this is why I really prefer to buy at B&M stores but it seems with most of the converter boxes one is forced to mail order. My other alternative would be to order a Channel Master (mail order again) and hope that it had better resolution than my Zenith CECB. I'd lose the component outputs but would probably save $60 using my coupon. If I had a Frys in town I'd try the CM, but alas no Frys in Minnesota. I'd also prefer a guide that goes out 12hrs. Min. so that also eliminates the STB. I think the CM has more than the NEXT/NOW of the Zenith.
I believe I remember the optical audio was important to you, which would eliminate the CM, but I personally would not use that feature. Seems like there's no perfect box at any price. The Sammy is kind of expensive and also lacks OSDs on composite or S-video.
I guess I don't know what I want, other than to return this LX1000. It makes something like my Zenith CECB seem like it was designed by real professionals. not like something put together in Joes garage

edit:6/2/08-I finally got a check back for returning my LX1000. They even refunded my shipping Of course I still had to pay the $10 it cost me to ship it back. Oh well, lesson learned.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

. It makes something like my Zenith CECB seem like it was designed by real professionals. not like something put together in Joes garage

Well, The guys at LG are aware of these threads, let's hope that shows up in the soon to be released DTT901.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Nice job on the photos jll544, thanks!
Don, yes the shipping box is strange. The inside is full glossy photos of what I assume is your STB-T1, while the outside is just white cardboard, no printing, then it has a sleeve type of heavy paper that slides over the box. On that sleeve is the color photos of the LX1000. I also find it funny that the remote that came with my LX1000 actually said STB-T1 on it, while the remote that came with your STB-T1 said nothing on it yet you say the remotes look identical otherwise. The LX manual shows the remote I got though, including the STB-T1 markings.

This is the ultimate in low class. I've seen some very strange things in chinese machinery and a lot of their workmanship borders on hilarious... but Tivax earns my bottom-of-the-barrel award for this one.

So it's time to discontinue the STB-T1 and introduce the the LX1000. "Oh comrade, we have great many expensive glossy-printed boxes and remote controls say STB-T1. What a dilemma. Ah, solution to dilemma at hand. We fold boxes inside out and fill old boxes with new model and make LX1000 halfway functional with use up old remotes. We put cheap sleeve over wrong box to hide. Maybe no one notice in USA."

Unbelievable.

BTW: the LX1000 case sure appears to be a STB-T1 case with a different front panel scabbed on.

Quote:

Still no RMA from Tivax, I just sent them another email. Maybe I'll have to call them again tomorrow.

Good luck calling support. It's probably a waste of time leaving messages on their voicemail. I don't think they return calls. Keep calling and eventually they'll answer. Somebody finally picked up late on the second day, after around 10 tries from me. It was a guy on a very bad cellphone connection who told me I should send email to support for a RMA.

Quote:

I'm kind of in a quandary on what to do. Exchange the LX for the STB which they may or may not charge shipping for. Then if I get the STB and it also has issues I'll need to send that back too

I don't know what to tell you but the junk you received should be a huge red flag for anyone. I was hoping someone else would give the T1 a try but, in retrospect, that may be a bad idea. If they insist on stiffing you with another LX1000, maybe getting the T1 wouldn't be such a bad option. Too bad you weren't able to go through the dealer rather than dealing directly with Tivax. They seems to be rather nice folks.

Except for the heat (which is appearing to be more of a non-issue now that it's getting "burned" in) I'm quite pleased with the T1. The LX shouldn't have this problem since it doesn't appear to have a power supply board... but that would be the least of it's problems. The T1 is doing everything I need and doing it very nicely. Beautiful picture and the OTA Dolby 5.1 coming in through the optical feed is awesome. Not having the tv guide doesn't bother me at all. It's hard to miss something that I've never had.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did receive the RMA late last night so that's good. I forwarded them a question how they would handle the shipping if I exchanged the LX for the STB-T1. You have answered my question about the box not automatically shutting off, and it sounds like lack of 24 hour guide but one last thing I would need for the STB-T1 to work for me. Are both the S-video and component outputs active at the same time? I would like to be able to record to my DVDR using the S-video out, but would also like to be able to watch my TV at the same time using the component outputs. I think I remember you saying something about the "switch" button controlling the output of the STB-T1. Does that mean both cannot be active at the same time? If so that would probably put it out of the running for me. On the LX1000 both can be active at the same time, as long as not outputting HD.

Lastly about the LX1000, I don't want anyone to think it's a total p.o.s., it does provide a great picture but has many issues that just make it a bad choice for me. I really feel bad about it, since it has such great potential. The box thing is rather curious but since the LX and STB seem to have the same case I don't see a problem with recycling extra boxes and turning it inside out was a good idea, but just adds to the overall bizarreness of the whole thing. I'm sure when they've used up all the STB boxes they'll go to the correct box. Remember I guess were kind of on the cutting edge of the whole converter box thing(even though they've been out for quite some time). Hopefully by 2/'09 they'll have all the kinks worked out. Or one would hope
post #12 of 27 Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 AM

jeff, you can output EITHER component OR composite/s-video. It may be possible to record off s-video and watch composite but that would be the best you can do unless you can record off component (or s) and concurrently monitor the operation.

I haven't spent too much time figuring out how to best record DTV from the T1 to my DVDR but the only thing I've found so far is recording analog direct to the composite Line 1 inputs.

I really can't give you a perfect answer on the guide since I don't know for sure if there's even any type of guide available in my market. I see non-availability as a real possibility. Things can be different around here. For example, the local ABC never did begin broadcast stereo over analog but ABC is the only station that broadcasts in 60Hz 5.1, full-time. Local news, commercials and all. Also, one of the PBS stations and one of the independents also never went to stereo but all three do Dolby 2.0 on digital.

Edit: I just read a bdfox post that says "FCC rules require stations to send a MINIMUM of 12 hours of fully and PROPERLY populated EPG via PSIP." I guess that's a wrap. No EPG beyond what's on now in the STB-T1

My T1 may be on final approach to the last crash. Sometime last night it quit producing any signal at all and became non-responsive to the remote. This morning it required several power-off resets to regain functionality.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Don you answered my questions and helped me make up my mind. I think I'll cut my losses and just return the LX1000. Too bad, both boxes sounded good on paper.I guess I'll have to continue my quest for the perfect converter box.
Yes I too had read that stations needed to provide a minimum of 12hrs for guide service. Most in my area do and some intermittently go out several days. My Vizio TV goes out as far as the stations provide.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Still no RMA from Tivax, I just sent them another email. Maybe I'll have to call them again tomorrow. I'm kind of in a quandary on what to do. Exchange the LX for the STB which they may or may not charge shipping for. Then if I get the STB and it also has issues I'll need to send that back toothis is why I really prefer to buy at B&M stores but it seems with most of the converter boxes one is forced to mail order. My other alternative would be to order a Channel Master (mail order again) and hope that it had better resolution than my Zenith CECB. I'd lose the component outputs but would probably save $60 using my coupon. If I had a Frys in town I'd try the CM, but alas no Frys in Minnesota. I'd also prefer a guide that goes out 12hrs. Min. so that also eliminates the STB. I think the CM has more than the NEXT/NOW of the Zenith.
I believe I remember the optical audio was important to you, which would eliminate the CM, but I personally would not use that feature. Seems like there's no perfect box at any price. The Sammy is kind of expensive and also lacks OSDs on composite or S-video.

Jeff,
FWIW, I have three thoughts for you:
  • If a reputable company (Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) made external ATSC 480i tuners with component video and/or digital audio outputs, mail-order would probably not be an issue. (Before I found this forum, I'd never heard of: Coby, Digital Stream, PrimeDTV, Pro-Brand, RJTech, or Tivax.)
  • If you can do without component video out and are not interested in optical audio, the CM-7000 may be a cost-effective solution due to the coupon.
  • If you wish to make use of component video inputs, the Sammy is hard to beat especially if an open-stock unit can be located. The lack of OSD on composite or S-video would obviously then not be an issue.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes I think the Sammy would be my best option, except for the steep price and lack of a display. I could probably do without the display if cheap enough, eg. the CM-7000 but it kind of bugs me that for $180 Samsung couldn't have included a display on the unit.
I've said it before but we used to be able to buy VCRs with displays for $50 not too long ago and even the Tivax for $99 had a nice display(but too many other issues). I did get my RMA and sent the Tivax back, so in less they stick me for something other than shipping I'll be out $20 for shipping both ways. I really prefer B&M especially on things like converter boxes from unknown companies.
I'll keep looking for a "open box" Sammy closer to $100 than $200. Or maybe a B&M in my area that decides to carry the CM-7000. Sure wish they had a Frys in my area. It would probably be a done deal, even without the coupon.
BTW I did some extensive testing before returning my Tivax and did prove that S-video made a difference over composite. Using composite with either the Tivax or my Zenith CECB produced dot crawl especially noticeable in colored lines. It looked like the line was made of individual dots instead of one continuous line. Using S-video with the Tivax produced no dots. The line looked like a line, not connect the dots. My next box will need to have a minimum of S-video or best component.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Or maybe a B&M in my area that decides to carry the CM-7000. Sure wish they had a Frys in my area. It would probably be a done deal, even without the coupon.

Do any of the following dealers in your state stock the CM-7000?

MINNESOTA

Available At Participating Ace & True Value Stores

DSI Systems, Inc.
1205 E. Cliff Road
Burnsville, MN 55337
Tel (800) 888-8876
Phone Number 2: 612 894-2552

Ness Electronics
441 Stinson Blvd. North East
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Tel (651) 623-3930

Ness Electronics, Inc.
2135 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN 55108
Tel 651-632-3930

Pace Electronics
533 6th Ave. North West
Rochester, MN 55903
Tel (507) 288-1853

Pace Electronics
626 Mendelssohn Ave. N.
Golden Valley, MN 55427
Tel (800) 246-9620

Another possibility might be, that you could locally see a CM-7000 before ordering online to use the $40 coupon (If none of the local dealers are able to accept the NTIA coupon).

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #17 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks otaman, No ace true value hardware stores in my area carry the CM-7000, DSI only carries a Philco CECB, Ness in Minneapolis closed several years ago, the one in St. Paul has 38 but are more a commercial store(no retail sales). While I might be able go get one there I'm not sure how they'd feel about a return if it didn't work out. Lastly the 800 # for Pace did not work for me, says it's been disconnected.
The reason I mentioned Frys is because I'd read that they occasionally have them on sale for $59.99. Not as good as $39.99 with coupon, but better than $79.99 without.
I think I'll just hang tight for a while and see what comes up. Thanks for the info.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Do you have any information on the CM-7000's sensitivity compared to the Zenith? I ask because that's the only other CECB box I've tried so far, and I really don't want anything less sensitive than that one. Some of my stations (Milwaukee) are over 60 miles away. How about the PQ?

I'll have to check the Ace Hardware store here in town. I've never seen any CM stuff at this one, probably because it's a small store, but there's a very large one a few miles away that I have seen CM stuff at. I should definitely check them out. If they have it and I'm lucky, maybe it'll be priced towards the lower end of the spectrum.

There's a Fry's maybe 30 miles away from here, but I can't say if or when I'll ever have the chance to get out that way. It'd be more practical for me to just order it online, even at a higher price.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

No, not yet. However, any day now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post

Just to let others know, I ordered the CM-7000 from Solid Signal on 5/8/08, but heard nothing from them about a backorder... After I sent them an email, they were quick to tell me that the boxes would arrive soon and would ship on Friday. True to their email, my box did ship on Friday, but I wished they had let me know that there would be a delay in the shipment, rather than my having to ask.

As soon as I get the box, I'll compare it to my Zenith and let everyone know....

Bob Diaz

Also, check out the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post

So I hooked up the receiver and to my surprise it picked up 15 channels (6 real channels with subchannels) with an unamplified Radio Shack bowtie antenna on top of the TV. Must be the newer gen digital tuner (when compared to my old HD capture boards in my PCs). My PC-based cards are hooked up through a large roof antenna in the attic (with Winegard PR8800, CM7777 pre-amp and CM distro amp) and that system cannot pick up one of the channels I picked up on the CM-7000 DTV converter box. The tuner is definitely more receptive in this box. It's a perfect picture for that one channel at only 22 to 35% signal! The remote looks like it will take a little getting used to, but I'm a happy customer so far. As I play around with it and see how fast it channels channels, I am just more impressed.

CHANNEL MASTER
Distributor Locator - USA

ILLINOIS

Autco-Besco
1023 West Dorlan
Springfield, IL 62702
Tel (217) 753-0111

Available At Fry's Electronics

Available At Participating Ace & True Value Stores

Laco Electronics
751 Fairfield Road
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
Tel (618) 242-7944

Laco Electronics
545 N. M.L. King, Jr. Drive
Decatur, IL 62523
Tel (217) 423-0494

O'Rourke Bros. Distributing
1205 4th Avenue
Moline, IL 61265
Tel 800-523-4730

Tri State Electronics
200 West Northwest Hwy.
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
Tel (847) 255-0600

Warren Elect. Dist. Co.
1813 Locust Street
Sterling, IL 61081
Tel (815) 625-6253

Warren Electronic Dist. Co.
2824 23rd Avenue
Moline, IL 61265
Tel (800) 397-5301

Notes:
* Not all CM dealers stock the CM-7000.
* Inquire if they are able to accept the $40 coupons.

On-line CM-7000 stocking dealer:
Summit Source $68.95 - $40 coupon = $28.95 + shipping

post #20 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. Tri-State's just down the road from me a bit (I live right off of Northwest Hwy.).
post #21 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Please let me know your review of its performance.

post #22 of 27 Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I certainly will, if I ever do get it. I always do.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

You may also find this thread to be of interest.

post #24 of 27 Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Can't add channels, only total rescan which wipes out previous scan. Note the manual says you can, but that option is NOT on my box.
Weaker reception, not nearly as good as my Zenith CECB. It could not get one channel that is 66%(2/3 bar) on my Zenith. Same channel is 30% on my older Panny LCD and 60% on my Panny EZ-28 DVDR. Other strong channels were OK on the Tivax, but it's no DX'er thats for sure.
Can't enter in a channel not found on channel scan, also cannot enter in real channel number of channel, only virtual number.

AFAIC, that's a deal breaker. Period.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IMO there are many "deal breakers" in this box. Really too bad. I liked the digital display and Price Point but it really needs a REV2.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM

almost a year later - anyone know if there were any updates or revisions to this box ? and where is it available, if at all ?
post #27 of 27 Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like it's still on Tivax.com but no price.
I find it curious that they still don't note it's QAM capability even though the one I tried definitely had that feature if not a bit kluge.
I also see that they note under video "Digital video output HDMI" but HDMI is lacking under Audio, I wonder if it still won't output sound over HDMI?

Wait, under other they note "One RF input: ATSC and Open Cable" I suppose open cable could be construed as QAM...
Bizarre company and box, IMO
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page