Comcast HDTV / Single HDMI Cable to TV above Fireplace Setup Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great Forum!

I'm building a house and will have a Panasonic 1080p Plasma TV hanged above the fireplace. There is only a SINGLE HDMI cable that runs from above the fireplace to an outlet on a sidewall.

The sidewall has surround sound connections, 2 cable outlets, a phone outlet and the said SINGLE HDMI cable. I'm getting a DENON receiver to route the connections through.

I plan on getting COMCAST Triple Play.

QUESTION: HOW DO I SET THIS UP???

With respect to COMCAST. Do I ask for the simple $5/mo upgrade for HDTV???

Can I run the COMCAST cable input to my DENON receiver. Then have my DENON receiver output the HDMI cable to the TV? I understand that I might have to run the COMCAST cable input into a STB or Cable splitter or something in order for the HD signals to work?

I was planning on running my stereo, VCR, TV signal and DVD into the DENON receiver - which in turns runs the signal to my tv above the fireplace via the SINGLE HDMI cable.

Any advice, comments, suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

PS: I'll be living in Arlington, TN - a suburb of Memphis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Comcast will provide you with an HDTV Set Top Box (STB) which will have an HDMI output. The STB is required to decode the HDTV channels on the cable system. You simply run the HDMI cable from the STB to your receiver and another from the receiver to the display.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response.

From browsing all the threads here, I assumed it was going to be much more complicated.

So all I have to really do is route the cable into the STB. Then route the COMCAST STB HDMI output to one of my DENON HDMI receiver inputs. Then my DVD, VCR and Stereo also plug into my DENON receiver. Then I have DENON HDMI output run the SINGLE HDMI cable to the HDMI input on the back of the TV above the fireplace and I'm good ?!?!?

Almost sounds too good to be true from what I've been browsing. If true, that's SWEET!

So, when I order the $99 COMCAST Triple Play, what do I have to order in order to get HDTV and the STB Box? What's the extra cost?

Thanks again,
Eric
post #4 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondbusiness View Post

So, when I order the $99 COMCAST Triple Play, what do I have to order in order to get HDTV and the STB Box? What's the extra cost?

I have no idea. I am not a Comcast customer.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #5 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Since Comcast and Charter tied for the worst customer service ratings, why would you stay with them? Do you own a bunch of stock, or just feel loyalty? D* is cheaper and better -- they are incredibly nice and helpful on the phone. Question - "Can I do XYZ?" Answer - "Sure, and here is how". It doesn't get any better than that.
Now if it involves cutting down a bunch of trees, I can understand why you might have some trepidation. But I assure you that it will be worth it. As a famous sailor once said, "Damn the trees, full speed ahead!" Or some variation of that.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Just remember the great quote that any HDTV not at eye level is nothing more then an expensive radio.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I've read on forums that COMCAST STB have firmware issues when the CABLE BOX goes through a receiver (repeater) then to the TV. Has this issue been resolved - or is the firmware fix readily available and working?

And what is D*? (Dish? Direct? Something else?) Forgive me of my ignorance.

Eric
post #8 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read on forums that COMCAST STB have firmware issues when the CABLE BOX goes through a receiver (repeater) then to the TV.

I believe Comcast uses only Motorola STBs and there are no such issues with them.

" - MLK

post #9 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

I believe Comcast uses only Motorola STBs and there are no such issues with them.

Comcast also uses Scientific Atlanta equipment on some of its cable systems. It all depends on what equipment is used at its "head end" where all the distribution equipment is located. And unless the OP wants a HD DVR, he may get an HD STB that doesn't have HDMI such as the SA3250HD.

He needs to contact Comcast at its local office to get more info. D* = DirecTV. I switched from Comcast to D* and couldn't be more content.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #10 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Just remember the great quote that any HDTV not at eye level is nothing more then an expensive radio.

Not to mention viewing distance. Getting close enough to the TV to get the maximum immersive experience could result in everyone getting a bit toasty. Also, heat and smoke rises. Ouch.

More on viewing distance here http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...l#anchor_13194

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #11 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

PS: I'll be living in Arlington, TN - a suburb of Memphis

Stop by the Memphis, TN - HDTV thread in the Local HDTV section. There are dozens of Comcrap users that can help you out. I can't since I use D* (DirecTV).

Also, the advice about mounting the TV over the fireplace is good. Try watching TV for a few hours looking up the entire time. Finally, you mention your receiver. How are you going to run a center channel up there as well?

-Robert
post #12 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.

I'm having the house built. They've made a cutout for the center channel and surround speakers. All will be flush mounted.

I had them wiring a SINGLE HDMI cable from above the Fireplace to a corner on the sidewall. Above the Fireplace is the only place to put a TV because the other 3 sides are all windows.

From the little I've been able to gather, the Motorolla STB firmware 16.35 should fix the STB -> HDMI Cable -> Receiver -> HDMI Cable -> TV handshake problem. But I can find no confirmation on this. Anyone know?

Thanks again!
Eric
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #13 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post

Since Comcast and Charter tied for the worst customer service ratings, why would you stay with them? Do you own a bunch of stock, or just feel loyalty? D* is cheaper and better -- they are incredibly nice and helpful on the phone. Question - "Can I do XYZ?" Answer - "Sure, and here is how". It doesn't get any better than that.
Now if it involves cutting down a bunch of trees, I can understand why you might have some trepidation. But I assure you that it will be worth it. As a famous sailor once said, "Damn the trees, full speed ahead!" Or some variation of that.

I was going to go with COMCAST because of their High Speed Internet Service is incredibly cheaper when you bundle it with Cable.

I'd prefer DirectTV, but have been unable to find any other decent High Speed Internet Service in the Arlington, TN area. I'd be fine with DSL if it was offered.

Does anyone know if DirectTV has had STB->HDMI Cable-> Receiver -> HDMI Cable -> TV problems like Comcast ??? DSL service in Memphis area ???

Eric
post #14 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had them wiring a SINGLE HDMI cable from above the Fireplace to a corner on the sidewall.

Why not have 2 or 3 HDMI cables run while you are at it? They are cheap, and you might want to run a DVD player direct to the TV instead of switching it. Just gives you more options.

Even better would be to have a decent size pipe (a wiring chase) run between the points with something in it to pull other future wires. One never knows.....

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DSL service in Memphis area ???

AT&T offers DSL service in Memphis. I'm so close to Olive Branch that I use Centurytel phone service and I can get 6Mb downloads with their DSL service. I choose to use Comcast Work At Home service with 8Mb download/1Mb upload.

-Robert
post #16 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post

Why not have 2 or 3 HDMI cables run while you are at it? They are cheap, and you might want to run a DVD player direct to the TV instead of switching it. Just gives you more options.

Even better would be to have a decent size pipe (a wiring chase) run between the points with something in it to pull other future wires. One never knows.....

Great Idea!

I just called the builder and asked to just have Component Cable (3-Red Green Blue connections) and an Audio / Visual (2-red white connections) ran from above the FP to sidewall as well. That way I have HDMI and component in case one or the other doesn't work.

I could just route the HD Cable with Component and the DVD with HDMI.

Hopefully, with both, no matter what, I'll be able to have a solution

What do you think?

Eric
post #17 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you think?

Run 2 HDMI cables because that is what most new TV's have. Run 6 RG6 cables for to be used as 2 component video cables. Run 4 RG6 cables to be used as analog audio cables. Run 1 RG6 cable to be used for digital audio from the TV to the receiver. Run 1 RG6 from the TV to the attic for an antenna (you never know when you might lose cable). Throw in a few more runs for composit video/analog audio. Sounds like a lot? I have over 1,000 feet of cable run from my equipment in the theater room to my TV in the living room. Each cable is around 55' long.

-Robert
post #18 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy ALL your cables from monoprice.com - do not pay more!!

Get the CL2 in-wall rated versions.

" - MLK

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page