EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2971 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Since you are talking about a digital TV channel (8.1), you apparently obtained either
a CECB or a HD OTA Tuner for either your old analog tube TV or your "newer" HDTV
(you didn't say what you are now using).

If you can see the digital video picture and can't hear audio, the problem isn't in the antenna,
it is either a volume control problem in the external OTA Tuner (read the owner's manual
or let us know what you're using) or (if you are using Red/White/Yellow connections) there
is a cabling problem.

It would help if you let us know exactly which external tuner you are using and whether
you connected it via the Ch3/4 RF Output or the Red/White/Yellow Audio/Video output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

No. It will not help at all. And the guy at the store is a complete idiot.

This is why I absolutely hate Radio Shack stores.

So is there a better Antenna I CAN buy & try that might get the audio for that channel or is the Radio Shack Budget Antenna the best one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Kamorro,

A different antenna is not likely to resolve the issue. The problem is more likely an issue with your tv tuner. However, it is possible that there are irregularities with the broadcast from ch 8. Our local Fox affiliate had issues with certain converter boxes at the transition. Mine was one of those affected (quality video, no audio). Their solution was for me to buy a new converter. Eventually they found/fixed the problem on their end and my "bad" converter is now a "good" converter....

Good luck!
post #2973 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorro View Post

So is there a better Antenna I CAN buy & try that might get the audio for that channel or is the Radio Shack Budget Antenna the best one?

The problem is not your antenna. It is likely an incompatibility between that station's sub channel and your particular TV tuner's ability to decode the audio. It is usually a data error on the part of the station they are not aware of that causes only certain brands of tuners to not decode the audio. I have a station with the same problem. KPBI 34-1 decodes properly, but 34-2 has no audio. And only on one of my TVs. Both TVs are connected to the same antenna.
post #2974 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ditto, what arxaw said....you might give the station & Toshiba a call to see if they'll
admit there might be a problem....

Digital Audio is carried within the same MPEG2 data stream as the Digital Video.
If your HDTV can't decode that particular station, there is something wrong with
either the transmitted MPEG2 (such as erroneous PSIP) or there is something
strange going on inside the HDTV.....
post #2975 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:

The problem is not your antenna. It is likely an incompatibility between that station's sub channel and your particular TV tuner's ability to decode the audio. It is usually a data error on the part of the station they are not aware of that causes only certain brands of tuners to not decode the audio. I have a station with the same problem. KPBI 34-1 decodes properly, but 34-2 has no audio. And only on one of my TVs. Both TVs are connected to the same antenna.

Would a converter box do anything? I know I have a Digital Ready TV, but I have an old Sansui DVD Recorder that I don't believe has the ATSC Tuner capability to record the OTA channels, so I was considering buying a converter box already for that reason. Do you think a converter box might make a difference with the audio on that channel?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to see if my Sansui DVD Recorder has the right tuner and if I need a converter box or not? I BELIEVE it's the VRDVD5000 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo. I have tried attaching the antenna to the Atenna In on the Sansui DVD Recorder and having a cable cord go from the Antenna out to the Antenna In on my TV and it wouldn't work. Would using RCA cords for output help or is that a sign I have a DVD Recorder without the right tuner?
post #2976 of 3319 Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorro View Post
....Do you think a converter box might make a difference with the audio on that channel?...
If the type of data errors the station is transmitting are only affecting audio on certain brands of tuners, then a different tuner (converter box) might help.

Be aware that converter boxes (the kind that were sold during the digital transition coupon program) are not HD. They are standard definition only.
post #2977 of 3319 Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am going to ditch my dish next month and just go with over the air FREE.

I try the RCA 1450 I got at Wall Mart and it was OK. I just need to move the receiver up up near the ceiling.

Is there any good indoor antenna? I live south of Atlanta.
post #2978 of 3319 Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

I am going to ditch my dish next month and just go with over the air FREE.

I try the RCA 1450 I got at Wall Mart and it was OK. I just need to move the receiver up up near the ceiling.

Is there any good indoor antenna? I live south of Atlanta.

If you are having problems with channels broadcasting on the VHF band, try moving the antenna away from electronics with a longer cable. You can learn the frequencies at the TVFool website. Real numbers below 14 are considered VHF. Flat antennas can be used at many angles, between flat and straight up. A different angle also might yield better results. Good Luck.
post #2979 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Indoor antennas are iffy. The reasons are #1) the structure's walls diminish the signal strength and #2) compromises are made so that the antennas look better. Since receiving the VHF channels requires larger elements than UHF channels, indoor antennas may have issues with VHF reception.

In Atlanta, if your reception issues are with channels 8 or 11, then you are having problems with VHF reception.

Some people actually use small outdoor antennas and hide them under something. If you are not renting, then you might consider an attic installation.
post #2980 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Hi All,

I currently have an amplified RCA ANT-1450 hooked up to a samsung plasma. The antenna is on top of the TV stand, maybe 10-12 feet off ground level. I get every UHF station available, in good weather above 80% on the signal meter. But as soon as a few clouds form, some of my channels drop to the mid 60% range and I start getting blocks and having the audio cut out.

Here's my TV Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d8d176a77a3188c

I don't get WYES (hi-VHF), but every other station comes in. The stations I have trouble with in bad weather are WGNO and WNOL. (My wife's really annoyed because she's missed three weeks of grey's anatomy- go fig.) I'm less than ten miles from all the transmitters, I live in a single story townhouse (ground floor is about five feet off the ground) with 12 foot ceilings, and all the other houses in my neighborhood are 2 stories max, so I don't think I have to worry about multipath. I want to get a new antenna set up that will hold up a little better under wind and rain. I'd prefer mounting an antenna indoors because I rent. I can get to the attic if necessary but that would be a worst case scenario (it's not easily accessible- I'd have to climb onto the roof for attic access.)

I was thinking about getting a DB2 and mounting it high in an east-facing window. It'd be about 15 feet off ground level. I have 100 ft of RG6 from fry's, but from that window it's only a 25 foot run to the TV. I wouldn't mind an antenna that could get hi-vhf but it's not strictly necessary (WYES is a PBS station, and I already get WLAE on UHF). I welcome any suggestions.
post #2981 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With your TVFool, that 1450 is probably one of the worst antennas you could use. Amplified antennas at your signal strengths often make reception much worse. Try this specific model RS passive antenna, with the dipoles extended in a "V" about half length each. This antenna is known to work well for similar TVFool reports as yours.

If you continue to have problems, you'll need to move the antenna around until you find a reception hot spot in your room and away from all other electronics that might interfere - even the TV. To add a longer coax, use a barrel splice, also available at RS.
post #2982 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0346269

http://www.supersonicinc.com/index.cfm/Digital_Antennas

http://www.supersonicinc.com/index.c...ctID/3,3877325

http://www.google.com/products/catal...005&os=reviews

Just in case anybody is looking for a very inexpensive indoor UHF antenna, Microcenter has these for $9.99.

Supersonic SC-602
HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna

Our Price: $9.99
SKU 962381
Mfr Part #: 927517
UPC: 639131006027

Availability:
In-store Pickup Only
10 in stock
at Twin Cities/St. Louis Park for 18 Minute In-Store Pickup (explain)

Supports HDTV 1080p, 1080i, 720p Broadcast; Full Band DTV/UHF Receiver; High Front to Back Ratio Helps Reject Unwanted; Multi-Path Signal Corruption; Flat Forward Gain Slope Delivers Balance Reception; Maximum Reception Range: 40 Miles; Frequency Range 470-860MHz Channels; Antenna Gain 10dB; Wall Mountable Design
General Features
What's in the Box HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna, 3.28ft. Coaxial Cable
Manufacturers Warranty 90 Day Limited Warranty
post #2983 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RCA ANT111 or ANT121 versus Radio Shack Basic Antenna? Any thoughts ? The ANT121 and RS Basic are both $12.99 online.
post #2984 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I move my RCA 1450 almost to the top of the ceiling now and I am getting all the stations above 85% power now. I am happy.

I live in Atlanta and 11.1 (NBC) for me is the only major network that didnt do well. I only get like 75% and if it goes below that, I get pixelation.

I cant get GPB 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and their Antenna sit on top of Stone Mountain.

What other antennas can I try?

Thanks for helping.
post #2985 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I move my RCA 1450 almost to the top of the ceiling now and I am getting all the stations above 85% power now. I am happy.

I live in Atlanta and 11.1 (NBC) for me is the only major network that didnt do well. I only get like 75% and if it goes below that, I get pixelation.

I cant get GPB 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and their Antenna sit on top of Stone Mountain.

What other antennas can I try?

Thanks for helping.

A pair of rabbit ears is still the smallest VHF antenna to try. An a-b switch could be used to connect to your current antenna. Rabbit ears can be used laid flat in addition to the classic "V" shape. Someone you know probably has a pair that you could borrow to try for 8.1. Near a window is probably the best location, away from electronics.
post #2986 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

RCA ANT111 or ANT121 versus Radio Shack Basic Antenna? Any thoughts ? The ANT121 and RS Basic are both $12.99 online.

Buy the RS basic from a store. That way you can return it if it doesn't do the job. Pick up a barrel splice as well, and get some additional coax. This will enable you to find a good location for the antenna. VHF signals are much more prone to electrical interference, so extra coax is advisable.
post #2987 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

RCA ANT111 or ANT121 versus Radio Shack Basic Antenna? Any thoughts ?

Thoughts. There is a difference.

Get the Radio Shack Budget antenna.
post #2988 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

A pair of rabbit ears is still the smallest VHF antenna to try. An a-b switch could be used to connect to your current antenna. Rabbit ears can be used laid flat in addition to the classic "V" shape. Someone you know probably has a pair that you could borrow to try for 8.1. Near a window is probably the best location, away from electronics.

I think I will give up on that PBS channel. I dont like to switch back n forth.

1. Why cant those in VHF move to UHF channels?

2. I thought digital is all 1 or 0. VHF dooesnt do as well as UHF?
post #2989 of 3319 Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think I will give up on that PBS channel. I dont like to switch back n forth.

2. I thought digital is all 1 or 0. VHF dooesnt do as well as UHF?

Here, my most reliable stations are rf 9 & 10. VHF is doing better than UHF. However, the location of the indoor antennas is crucial. At the transition, I had 100% signal from Walnut Grove UHF stations and a black screen for rf 9 & 10. The coax that came in the box with the antenna was too short to escape interference being produced by a plasma set. If you are using the antenna you have with only the coax that came with it, a barrel splice and some extra coax still might work. Amplified antennas only add to the interference problem which is indeed worse for VHF channels.
post #2990 of 3319 Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually, many have. See "VHF Nightmares":
http://www.rabbitears.info/vhf.php
But in many areas, there aren't enough channels left to do that (post-transition, chs 51 thru 69 are being removed from TV service in the US, for other uses). In some cases, the stations clung to their old VHF slots for several reasons. Unfortunately, many VHF digital stations are vastly underpowered and don't work as well as analog did in many cases.

Quote:
2. I thought digital is all 1 or 0. VHF doesnt do as well as UHF?

VHF is lower frequency than UHF. It is more prone to interference from other electrical devices indoors. With analog, this would just cause static on the screen. With digital, you end up with audio/video dropouts - very annoying. Being lower frequency, the VHF wavelengths are also much longer than shorter UHF. They have a harder time penetrating many building materials.
post #2991 of 3319 Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0346269

http://www.supersonicinc.com/index.cfm/Digital_Antennas

http://www.supersonicinc.com/index.c...ctID/3,3877325

http://www.google.com/products/catal...005&os=reviews

Just in case anybody is looking for a very inexpensive indoor UHF antenna, Microcenter has these for $9.99.

Supersonic SC-602
HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna

Our Price: $9.99
SKU 962381
Mfr Part #: 927517
UPC: 639131006027

Availability:
In-store Pickup Only
10 in stock
at Twin Cities/St. Louis Park for 18 Minute In-Store Pickup (explain)

Supports HDTV 1080p, 1080i, 720p Broadcast; Full Band DTV/UHF Receiver; High Front to Back Ratio Helps Reject Unwanted; Multi-Path Signal Corruption; Flat Forward Gain Slope Delivers Balance Reception; Maximum Reception Range: 40 Miles; Frequency Range 470-860MHz Channels; Antenna Gain 10dB; Wall Mountable Design
General Features
What's in the Box HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna, 3.28ft. Coaxial Cable
Manufacturers Warranty 90 Day Limited Warranty

Looks just like the Channel Master 4040 indoor antenna...
post #2992 of 3319 Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, it does look like the Channel Master 4040 indoor antenna. Is that a good antenna? Is it worth $9.99?
post #2993 of 3319 Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

You guys are not going to believe this.

I was talking to my cousin and he said try your cable line. I had Comcast cable modem ONLY (no TV) 5 months ago. I got rid of my internet cause going with DSL is cheaper for 1 yr.

SO I hook it to my HDTV for the very first time. The thing is live. I pick up all the free analog channel + those digital free OTA. I am returning my indoor antenna.

I am sure this is very common thing that Comcast just do not bother to disconnect it.

So I am happy for now.
post #2994 of 3319 Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:

With your TVFool, that 1450 is probably one of the worst antennas you could use. Amplified antennas at your signal strengths often make reception much worse. Try this specific model RS passive antenna, with the dipoles extended in a "V" about half length each. This antenna is known to work well for similar TVFool reports as yours.

If you continue to have problems, you'll need to move the antenna around until you find a reception hot spot in your room and away from all other electronics that might interfere - even the TV. To add a longer coax, use a barrel splice, also available at RS.

I got the radio shack 15-246 antenna (higher wife acceptance factor than the super basic one, didn't need the barrel plug since it has an f connector on the back, and it gets good reviews) and mounted it high in my window, it works great for every channel except WVUE. WVUE broadcasts from the same direction and about the same power as the other networks in my area.. Any idea why one channel would be dropping out? It varies from 60% to 30%, and below 50% the picture dies.
post #2995 of 3319 Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:

SO I hook it to my HDTV for the very first time. The thing is live. I pick up all the free analog channel + those digital free OTA. I am returning my indoor antenna.

I am sure this is very common thing that Comcast just do not bother to disconnect it.

Yeah, I had this from cox for a few months until they sent a guy to the pole to install a trap on the line. No complaints here- its their right to filter out the cable TV freqs.
post #2996 of 3319 Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You guys are not going to believe this.

I was talking to my cousin and he said try your cable line. I had Comcast cable modem ONLY (no TV) 5 months ago. I got rid of my internet cause going with DSL is cheaper for 1 yr.

So I am happy for now.

Sure, but what happens if Comcast conducts an audit in your neighborhood? They will be able to tell that you are hooked up by doing electrical tests.
post #2997 of 3319 Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungarsfragile View Post

I got the radio shack 15-246 antenna (higher wife acceptance factor than the super basic one, didn't need the barrel plug since it has an f connector on the back, and it gets good reviews) and mounted it high in my window, it works great for every channel except WVUE. WVUE broadcasts from the same direction and about the same power as the other networks in my area.. Any idea why one channel would be dropping out? It varies from 60% to 30%, and below 50% the picture dies.

Each frequency propagates differently. The channel dropping out on you may not be traveling well to your antenna. However, your antenna may need a different aim for WVUE, even if other channels from the same direction are coming in well.
post #2998 of 3319 Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi all,

Need some recommendations on an OTA situation. My grandmother is in a nursing home in Manhattan and we would like to pull in channel 63 (WMBC. 63.5 to be exact) along with her current channels (currently she is using an RCA flat panel antenna with the included amp, tuning is done in the TV). Here is the TV Fool link to the site info:

tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d8d17b600313c76 (sorry I can't make the link a hyperlink, but I haven't made my 3 posts yet....)

We can't mount anything outside of the window, so it would have to be an indoor antenna (movable), and the building has dense walls, probably made of concrete. She is on the 4th floor. There is one window, facing east.

It seems that that signal I want to pick up is to the west (in NJ), and about 15 miles away. What set up would have a good chance of picking up channel 63? After the bit of research I've done, I'm thinking of getting a Terrestrial DB2 with a Channelmaster 7777 amp. I would appreciate the advice and help!
post #2999 of 3319 Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post

Hi all,

Need some recommendations on an OTA situation. My grandmother is in a nursing home in Manhattan and we would like to pull in channel 63 (WMBC. 63.5 to be exact) along with her current channels (currently she is using an RCA flat panel antenna with the included amp, tuning is done in the TV). Here is the TV Fool link to the site info:

tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d8d17b600313c76 (sorry I can't make the link a hyperlink, but I haven't made my 3 posts yet....)

We can't mount anything outside of the window, so it would have to be an indoor antenna (movable), and the building has dense walls, probably made of concrete. She is on the 4th floor. There is one window, facing east.

It seems that that signal I want to pick up is to the west (in NJ), and about 15 miles away. What set up would have a good chance of picking up channel 63? After the bit of research I've done, I'm thinking of getting a Terrestrial DB2 with a Channelmaster 7777 amp. I would appreciate the advice and help!

I'll take a shot; no way you'll find an antenna that will not only pull in a signal from the wrong direction but be able to pull in a signal from a hospital room. Very difficult.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #3000 of 3319 Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Hi, newbie here.

I've been using an old Recoton indoor antenna with mixed success, and would like to find a better option that would improve my reception. Not looking for miracles here, just good reception for the green channels here:
TV Fool Results

Trying to keep the budget below $100, prefer even less. Would prefer either an indoor model or something I can mount in the attic. Home is a one story CBS structure, and we do have lots of tall trees about.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Terk Hdtva Indoor Amplified High Definition Antenna For Off Air Hdtv Reception , Terk Hdtvo Amplified Hdtv Antenna , Antennas Direct C2 Clearstream Television Antenna , Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier , Eagle Aspen Dtv2buhf Directv 2 Bay Uhf Antenna , Terk Fdtv1a Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page