AVS Forum banner
2M views 3K replies 417 participants last post by  Bluedog225 
#1 ·
Welcome to EV's Indoor Antenna Round-Up!

The Ultimate Internet Guide to Indoor Antennas!

Some introductory thoughts.

THIS GUIDE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

These antennas are listed in no particular order. This list of antennas are all recommended and better than average.

There is no one best indoor antenna. Environmental factors present a plethora of situations that no one antenna can be best for all of them. In fact, most times the best indoor antenna is an antenna placed outdoors or an outdoor antenna placed indoors. Some may need VHF Hi and UHF, others only UHF, after the Feb2009 shutdown of analog broadcasts. Antennas are a strange brew, sometimes it's more of an art than a science, and while these are generally well regarded antennas for indoor use, Your Mileage May Vary.

Remember, outdoor placement is much preferred if you can swing it. Even if you get some of these outdoor antennas that are small, flat, and aesthetic and unobtrusive enough to go inside, they will do better outside on a patio or outside a window especially if facing the broadcast tower cluster. Some even put large antennas in attics.

These are some of my personal favorites and I have personal experience with many of these antennas. Most are highly recommended antennas by others on the net and other AVSforum members in this thread; and in reviews and tests that I researched on the net

The other end of the equation is tuner ability, sensitivity and selectivity. ATSC tuners have dramatically improved over the last couple of years. If you are on the fringe of reception even using the best antenna setups, you may want to consider improving your tuner with a set top box tuner. Both SD Coupon Elligible Converter Boxes and HDTV Tuner Boxes exist. LG and Samsung make great HDTV tuner boxes. LG makes some of the best tuners, and their CECB the Zenith DTT901 currently has one of the most sensitive tuners for those looking to keep using their old CRT NTSC analog sets. You can research tuners and converter boxes in the same subforum that you are now located in AVSforum.

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions, observations, corrections, experiences, questions, etc. They are most welcome.

I am not an expert or highly trained and experienced technician, just an amateur enthusiast. I do not portend to be anything else. There are many other people on this site that are much more knowledgable and experienced than I.

Special thanks to Seatacboy, golinux, fajitamosaic, Rick313, Rammitinski, and deltaguy, for their encoragement, enthusiasm, guidance and contributions.....and to KenH for making this thread a sticky.

I hope this will be useful to others.

Please let me know if you like it.

Best regards

EV

Newbies start here! Read this first!

Quote:
Antennas and Digital Television

FCC Consumer Facts

Federal law requires that all full-power television broadcast stations stop broadcasting in analog format and broadcast only in digital format after February 17, 2009. Broadcast stations in all U.S. markets are currently broadcasting in both analog and digital. If you have one or more analog televisions that receive free over-the-air television programming with an outdoor antenna or "rabbit ears" on the TV, you will either need a digital television (a TV with a built in digital tuner) or an analog television connected to a "digital-to-analog converter box" (which converts digital signals to analog signals for viewing on your analog set) in order to continue to watch programming from full-power broadcast stations. This Fact Sheet provides information on antennas and on what is needed for good quality reception of digital broadcasts.

Try Using Your Existing Antenna First

First, it is important to know that if your television currently receives good quality reception on analog channels 2-51 with a broadcast antenna, it should be able to receive digital television (DTV) signals, including high definition television (HDTV) signals, with the same broadcast antenna. You do not need to purchase a "DTV antenna" or an "HDTV antenna" to receive DTV or HDTV signals. However, consumers should be aware that if they use a digital-to-analog converter box, they will still need to use an antenna to receive DTV signals.

Prior to making any changes to your current antenna or antenna system, you should check to see if it will receive the digital signals being broadcast in your area. Connect your existing antenna to either a digital television or a digital-to-analog converter box connected to an analog TV. Make sure your TV is set up to receive over-the-air broadcasts (as opposed to being connected to a paid provider such as a cable or satellite TV company). It may also be helpful to perform a "channel scan," in which your TV will automatically check to see which stations it can receive. In many cases, this is all you will need to do to watch digital television broadcasts.

For Help With Reception Problems

If you experience reception problems, the following information and tips may help to improve your reception for digital broadcasts.

During the transition to digital TV, many stations are temporarily operating at reduced power levels. If you are not receiving certain digital TV stations, this does not necessarily mean there is a problem with your antenna or receiver. Check with the TV station to find out whether they are planning changes that will improve reception.

When an analog TV signal is weak or receives interference, static, snow, and distortion will often appear on the screen, but you can watch the picture through the noise. Digital broadcasting will provide a clear picture even with a weak signal and in the presence of interference. However, if the digital signal falls below a certain minimum strength, the picture can suddenly disappear. This “cliff effect” means that if you typically watch analog TV stations that have a lot of static and distortion, you may have to adjust or upgrade your antenna system to get a reliably good signal for digital broadcasts.

TV reception can be affected by factors such as terrain, trees, buildings, the weather (rain, wind, humidity), and damaged/deteriorated equipment. Often digital reception can be improved just by changing the location of your current antenna. Moving it away from other objects and structures, or placing it higher can often improve reception.

Many antennas need to be oriented or aimed to get the best signal from the desired station. For indoor antennas, you may need to do this manually by trial and error. For outdoor antennas, a rotor that re-orients the antenna can improve performance, particularly when trying to receive stations that transmit from different locations.

Television stations broadcasting in digital use both the VHF band (channels 2-13) and UHF band (channels 14-51). Many indoor antennas use “rabbit ears” for the VHF band and a “loop” or “bow-tie” antenna for the UHF band. Make sure you are using an antenna that covers both the VHF and UHF bands and have connected it properly.

Simple indoor antennas, such as rabbit ears, provide minimal performance that may or may not be suitable for your location. If you are unable to obtain satisfactory reception with your current indoor antenna, you may wish to obtain an indoor antenna that includes features for better reception of UHF signals and/or an amplifier to boost the received signal (often referred to as an active indoor antenna).

Generally, an outdoor antenna will get better reception than an indoor antenna. If you already have an outdoor antenna and are getting good quality reception from VHF and UHF channels, your antenna should work fine for digital television.

The performance of outdoor antennas can degrade over time due to exposure to the weather. If you are having problems, check for loose or corroded wiring, broken antenna elements and that the antenna is pointed in the right direction.

Try to keep the length of wire between your antenna and digital receiver as short as possible for best reception.

You can use a single antenna to provide digital broadcasts to multiple TVs in your home. Remember, however, that each analog TV connected to your antenna will need its own digital-to-analog converter box to view digital broadcast programming.

"Splitters" that are used to connect a single antenna to multiple receivers reduce the amount of signal available to each receiver. If you are having problems, check to see whether reception is improved without the splitter. In some cases an "active" splitter that includes an amplifier can solve the problem.

If you are near a station's broadcast tower, reception of that station, as well as other stations, can be impeded by signal "overload". Consider using an "attenuator" or removing amplifiers to improve your reception.

If you decide to replace or upgrade your outdoor antenna, websites such as www.antennaweb.org and http://tvfool.com/ provide information on the locations of broadcast towers and the types of outdoor antennas appropriate for the stations you wish to receive. If you need assistance with upgrading your antenna system, check with a local antenna retailer or antenna installer.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/468153.html

Sage advice from KenH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/14136288

In general:

Outdoors is better than indoors.

Bigger is better than smaller.

Directional is better than omnidirectional.

Mounting higher is better than mounting lower.

Performance rankings.....based on EV's observations....Rough Guide....YMMV

These are rough guestimations, based on my personal observations. They have not been instrument tested yet. Just because something is at the top of the list, does not necessarily mean that it is the best antenna for you and your particular situation. You may be best served by an unamplified model or an omnidirectional model, and directional and amplified units tend to do better on net gain and distance measures. This list is also most certainly distorted by varying atmospheric conditions. I will address that by instrument testing these all on one day, so as to minimize human and atmospheric error.

Performance rankings so far.....based on EV's observations....Rough Guide....YMMV

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS and is changed and updated regularly as new and better testing data becomes available

Channel Master 4220 with CM 7777 amp on roof

DB2 with CM 7777 amp on roof

RS 1880

RS 1892 UFO

Antennas Direct ClearStream2

Channel Master 4220 unamped indoors

DB2 unamped indoors

Winegard SS-3000

Petra SuperPower 32db (Cornet 645A)

Terk HDTVa

RS Double Bow Tie

Philips MANT940

RS DA-5200

GE Futura Outdoor

Philips MANT950

RCA ANT806

Classic Single Bow Tie

Philips Silver Sensor

Godar Model 1

Terk TV-3

Philips MANT510

RS 1634

My First Attempt at the Coat Hanger Antenna, Youtube Video Specifications unamped

GE Futura Indoor

Terk TV-55

RS 1874 Budget

Picture Frame Antenna

RCA ANT1500

Channel Master 4030

Samsung Axession TV DA1000/GE Contempo

RCA ANT108 (very similar to the RCA ANT110 and others)

RS 1868 Delta

Terk TV-2

RCA ANT1020

Terk TV-5

RS 1870

Jensen TV 931

Terk TV-1 without Loop

RS FM Dipole

EV's Favorites....so far

RS 1880

RS 1892 UFO

RS DA-5200

RS Double Bow Tie

RS Single Classic BowTie

RS 1874 Budget

Petra SuperPower 32db(Cornet 645A)

Godar Model 1

Antennas Direc DB2

Antennas Direct ClearStream2

Channel Master 4149

Winegard SS-3000

Terk HDTVa

Terk TV-3

Terk TV-2

Philips Silver Sensor

Philips MANT510

Philips MANT940

Philips MANT950

RCA ANT806

RCA ANT108 (ANT110)

Here is a chart designed by wwong incorporating the data that I collected in regards to antenna performance using a Zenith 901 Converter Box. Note the first 2 entries were tested on a seperate day, I was testing the Clearstream2 and used the DB2 as a control to help integrate the information into the above lists.

See less See more
#2,581 ·
Hi. I am in need of a recommendation for an indoor antenna. This will be for a new 32 Panasonic Viera TV located in a room on the northwest corner of a one story brick home. There is a large window facing north near the TV. Apparently I am unable to post my TV Fool results as I haven't made 3 posts.

Also, I'm confused because my Antennaweb results aren't as positive but I don't think I can link to those even if I could post it now.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

#2,582 ·
Welcome to the forum Goldenmom,

It is possible for us to get a rough idea of your situation just from a zip code, but since the TV will be located "in a room on the northwest corner of a one story brick home" we need to know the direction of the transmitters.

Go to tvfool.com again and enter your exact address, which will not show in the report. Copy and paste the URL in bold type near the top of the report.

Enter in your next post the part of the URL that comes after .com/ and we can turn it into a working link.

#2,584 ·
I just bought my first HDTV and wanted to get an indoor digital TV antenna. Here is the link to TV fool signal analysis for my location. Its an apartment and TV's back is facing the south east wall.

As i am not allowed to post the URL as its my first post, here is the address of my location: ZIP 98052; REDMOND, WA

Appreciate suggestions for right antenna.

Thanks,

Charkat

#2,586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom /forum/post/18673841

Thank you for responding Rabbit73!

Here is my TV Fool report:

?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9fbe004b1990cc

You're welcome, Goldenmom; your tvfool report should look like this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe004b1990cc

Your strongest transmitters are located southeast of you, so the signals will have to travel through your building to get to the indoor antenna at the northwest corner of your home. Fortunately, the signals are quite strong. It is also possible that some signals might be reflected through the large window from buildings north of you. If not, you might need to consider a location on the south side of your home. A metal screen, metal venetian blinds, or low-e glass in a window can block signals. An attic antenna is another possibility.

I suggest that you first try an unamplified rabbit ears and loop antenna, like the Radio Shack catalog #15-1874 . The rabbit ears are for your lone VHF channel 11 (NBC), and the loop is for the other channels that are UHF. If it doesn't work, you can return it but I would keep it and experiment with various locations with a coax extension cable joined to the antenna coax with an F-81 coupler , which also comes in gold.

Some of the other guys here will also probably have some helpful suggestions for you.

#2,587 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom /forum/post/18669469

Hi. I am in need of a recommendation for an indoor antenna. This will be for a new 32 Panasonic Viera TV located in a room on the northwest corner of a one story brick home. There is a large window facing north near the TV. Apparently I am unable to post my TV Fool results as I haven't made 3 posts.

Also, I'm confused because my Antennaweb results aren't as positive but I don't think I can link to those even if I could post it now.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

A majority of persons, who quantify signals being received here, think that TVFool is a more accurate predictor than Antennaweb in my opinion. Originally, Antennaweb suggested that digital reception would only be possible for analog signals that were very good or excellent. I haven't found that to be the case. All analog UHF signals here had major problems analog, while the digital picture is quite a relief. As far as an antenna, I wouldn't be frightened away from trying an amplified one, as long as you can return it if it doesn't work. Good Luck.

#2,588 ·
I purchased some soda at Walmart earlier this week. In the process, I looked at their A/V accessories section. I don't think this was available before. For $5.50 or so, you can get a 75 ohm matching transformer and a two-screw slide-on adapter. This is the transformer that came with the Mant 510 that is on page 1 here with the single classic bowtie. While I didn't see a classic bowtie for sale at Walmart, this combo would work great for adding extra coax to antennas with a twin-lead flat wire, like the classic bowtie. It's probably better than using a barrel splice. I realize these items can be purchased for less online. The Walmart website doesn't show this item.

#2,589 ·
My TV Fool results here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe3933814d3d

Have 2 HD televisions, one upstairs, one downstairs. Just wanting to get primary OTA network channels but with PBS as my priority. Currently have old rabbit ears on the downstairs set which used to get PBS just fine but lately is breaking up until it's unwatchable. Hubby not keen on installing an outside antenna for me but will do an indoor attic antenna. Antennaweb suggests a small multidirectional antenna. Can anyone point me to a specific model/brand antenna that will work for me? Do I need to place it facing a specific direction? Hubby will do the actual physical work if I (with the help of you guys) do the legwork and order the antenna and tell him the specifics. Sure appreciate the help.

#2,590 ·
 This antenna should work well in your attic, unless you have:

metal roof

foil-backed radiant barrier roof decking

foil-backed radiant barrier gable end insulation

If any of these apply, all bets are off as to whether an attic install will work reliably.

This antenna is not very large. See: http://i50.tinypic.com/10wrxms.jpg

Hang a mast or piece of PVC or even an old broom handle down from the roof rafters and clamp the antenna onto that. Using a compass, aim it roughly 100° (just slightly to the right of due East).

Connect the antenna to your TV using RG6 coax cable, available at HomeyDespot, Lowes or Radio Shaft. Your signals are strong enough to split to more than one TV.

Unlike outdoor antennas, attic antennas do not have to be grounded.

#2,591 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/18679983

This antenna should work well in your attic, unless you have:

metal roof

foil-backed radiant barrier roof decking

foil-backed radiant barrier gable end insulation

If any of these apply, all bets are off as to whether an attic install will work reliably.

This antenna is not very large. See: http://i50.tinypic.com/10wrxms.jpg

Hang a mast or piece of PVC or even an old broom handle down from the roof rafters and clamp the antenna onto that. Using a compass, aim it roughly 100° (just slightly to the right of due East).

Connect the antenna to your TV using RG6 coax cable, available at HomeyDespot, Lowes or Radio Shaft. Your signals are strong enough to split to more than one TV.

Unlike outdoor antennas, attic antennas do not have to be grounded.

Super advice! Showed it to hubby and he says this is very doable. Can you tell me exactly what antenna that is...make/model ? Am totally lost without that info. But it looks perfect. Can't thank you enough!

#2,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkat /forum/post/18673054

I just bought my first HDTV and wanted to get an indoor digital TV antenna. Here is the link to TV fool signal analysis for my location. Its an apartment and TV's back is facing the south east wall.

As i am not allowed to post the URL as its my first post, here is the address of my location: ZIP 98052; REDMOND, WA

Appreciate suggestions for right antenna.

Thanks,

Charkat

Any one please suggest. Appreciate your help.

#2,598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/18682462

Repost the part of the TVFool link that the system will allow. We can determine what the complete URL is.

Charkat, I think, if you post again, it will allow you to put the whole URL as it will be your third post. If not, check above for GoldenMom's example. Need to get more accurate location info as the Seattle metro area has such interesting topography

#2,600 ·
An indoor antenna may not be sufficient for you to reliably receive the major networks, per your TVFool. All the majors are in "yellow," which often (but not always) requires an attic or outdoor antenna for reliable reception.

If you want to try an indoor antenna, I would try this one . Extend the dipole rods in a wide "V" and no longer than about 14" each. Longer lengths will not be resonant with the VHF channels (fox & pbs) in your area. The loop is for all the other channels on UHF.

There is no magic indoor "digital" antenna. Where you locate an indoor antenna is usually the biggest factor in successful indoor reception. You may need to find a hot spot away from other interfering electrical & wireless devices. Even your TV can interfere with indoor reception. To do this, add several feet of coax to the antenna, using a barrel splice . Move the antenna around to different locations and you may find a hot spot for your channels of interest. A west facing window would likely be best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.