EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3301 of 3319 Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Better? Not necessarily except on VHF. The DB4e is much stronger on UHF which is great if you actually need it (you don't).

However, you can buy a C2V at almost any Walmart or Best Buy store without waiting for shipping.

The DB4E is on sale at Newegg.com for $50 with free shipping... Any opinion on the 91XG antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3319 Old 12-23-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Any opinion on the 91XG antenna?

Yes. You don't need it.

Stick with what you actually NEED, not online lists and such...
post #3303 of 3319 Old 12-23-2013, 05:12 AM

I will be connecting 4 TVs to the DB4E antenna. Is the recommendation to get a amplifier like the Channel Master CM3414. Please advise.
post #3304 of 3319 Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You have PLENTY of signal power. You do not need an amp.
post #3305 of 3319 Old 12-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

You have PLENTY of signal power. You do not need an amp.

I will need a 4 way splitter in order to connect all 4 TVs to the DB4E.. So the splitter will not impact the signal strength? Thanks for all your feedback.. I will be receiving the antenna on Friday from Newegg.
post #3306 of 3319 Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

"PLENTY" means exactly what means.
post #3307 of 3319 Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am running an epson 5030 projector in NYC and am trying to determine the best antenna and tuner for optimal picture quality, i am a noob in the antenna segment and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for a good indoor setup for a nyc apartment? I am on the oustide of the apt building and all windows face directly outside and I am in teh tallest building around so no complete blockage, any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
post #3308 of 3319 Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
This thread is over 4 years old. Have indoor antennas improved any in that time period? Are they any better today than back in 2009? If today you ran a poll here about the greatest indoor antenna--which one would win?
post #3309 of 3319 Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

This thread is over 4 years old. Have indoor antennas improved any in that time period? Are they any better today than back in 2009? If today you ran a poll here about the greatest indoor antenna--which one would win?

I'm not sure that there are any better than back in 1969. Which do you think should win this poll? Since you've asked this before, you need to point out the possible breakthrough candidates.
post #3310 of 3319 Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I periodically ask which one is the best because the thread is so long and one has to wade through many specific location antenna problem posts to get to any posts that have comparisons of all the antennas.

Every year you'll have arguments as to what is the best LCD TV in the world--what is the best Plasma TV--what is the best projection TV under $ 10,000 for example.

I just think it might be good if every year you could get an idea as to what is the best indoor antenna in the world and IF there have been any breakthroughs in antennas or amplifiers or anything else related to reception of TV signals.

This thread basically is just--I don't get jacks when it comes to stations and someone else responds--try this...

I'm sure that is a great service for the individuals that post here--I have no problem with that--I just want to know what some of the great indoor antennas are for I truly do not know.
post #3311 of 3319 Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Try page 1. The new flat antennas would wind up being around the classic bowtie. The most important concerns indoors are often not due to the gain of the antenna. Interference and multipath are very common. A higher gain (better) antenna is often no match for these problems. Antenna location, height, and aim are critical. These often need to be adjusted regardless of the antenna. Indoor reception is learned over time. There's no magic antenna.
post #3312 of 3319 Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Now that I've installed a rooftop antenna, here's some of my experiences using indoor antennas. Here are the models that I thought were acceptable:

First Place: Solid Signal HD-Blade - same as Winegard Flatwave non-amplified version. Other than the fact that the Silver Sensor is very directional and can be pointed at a hard-to-get station, this was my favorite indoor antenna. It seemed to be more resistant to signal fade and break-up than the norm. High-VHF performance is good. I really liked this for an indoor antenna and was using it until a rooftop outdoor antenna was installed (Silver Sensor would get honorable mention here as well). HD-Blade list price is $30 but Solid Signal frequently has "one day sales" where you can get it for $20. Be sure to buy the version where you can manually screw in and connect your own RF cable - that's a lot better than being limited to an integrated 6-foot cable for finding the "sweet spot" for reception.

Second place: Philips or Zenith brand Silver Sensor. This is a very, very directional antenna. You may be frustrated in that the Seattle transmitters, Tiger Mountain and KBTC/Tacoma transmitters are in different directions. Using a Silver Sensor indoors, I never could get a picture on KBTC's Capitol Hill repeater. High VHF is surprisingly okay but it's really a UHF-only antenna. If you don't mind periodically having to move the antenna, I was very impressed with this unit. It's designed by a UK company called Antiference. You can use whatever length of RF cable you want. NOTE: AVOID the "upgraded" powered PHDTV-3 Silver Sensor that has the UHF elements placed low and VHF rabbit ears installed - that unit is awful. I understand the original Silver Sensor is no longer on the market but it shows up on the used market.

I briefly used a Terk HDTV-A which is similar. I bought it at Fry's using the pricematch with Amazon. But this Terk is limited by an integrated 6-foot RF cable limiting your placement options. I returned it to Fry's, it really did not seem to perform any better than the Silver Sensor even with the amplifier, but some people really like it.

Third Place: Mohu Leaf. The main difference between the Leaf and the HD-Blade/Flatwave is that the Leaf really is UHF-only. High VHF is fair-to-good. Also, you are stuck with an integrated 6-foot RF cable. If you really want a thin antenna of this type that you can stick to a window or wall, get the HD-Blade/Flatwave. Costs about $40, more than the HD-Blade.

Fourth Place: Radio Shack Budget TV antenna. For $15 you get a standard dipole-and-loop antenna. The loop is larger than most rabbit-ear sets and it just seems to be better than the norm for this kind of $15 antenna. I thought this was a fairly good antenna for the money. The integrated RF cable is 5 feet long.

Fifth Place: RCA ANT-111. $9 or so at Amazon, $10 at Frys and Walmart, I bought mine for $6 at Big Lots. Dipole-and-loop antenna, better than what one would expect. However, the integrated RF cable is quite thin and only 3 feet long. The above-listed units are better but if you just want to see if you can even get an OTA signal at your house, this is the "el cheapo" unit to buy.

Indoor antennas to avoid:

Radio Shack 15-246, $25. Visually nice looking unit - has a silver circular molded UHF unit and nice black dipoles. This isn't a rotten antenna but the gain is not weaker than the units above. One plus: you can connect your own RF cable, but this antenna doesn't offer as much "bang for the buck" as the units shown above.

Philips MANT-850 powered antenna - looks really cool, has a very nice silver UHF flat-panel piece and beautiful silver base, the rabbit ears extend very high, but it wasn't as reliable for reception as what's listed above.

Big Lots generic powered antenna, $10. Initially it might seem okay but the amp sort of has to "make up" for lackluster dipole-and-loop design. Better to spend your $$ on the antennas shown above.

Big Lots generic non-powered rabbit ear antenna, $3. Okay for FM radio. If we had low-power analogs, this would be okay. Really spotty reception, much worse than the ANT-111 or others.

"Clear TV" antenna, as seen on frequent TV informercials. I haven't personally used this one - it looks kinda like the HD-Blade but nowhere near as well designed. It's priced about $30 when you add S&H, and the reviews on Amazon are not at all good. The company peddling these antennas has attracted numerous customer complaints about misleading ads. Looking closely at the inner design, it seems like a really modest attempt at a flat-style aerial without the advanced technology of the Solid Signal/Winegard/Mohu engineering team.

Clear TV's infomercials imply that free OTA television is some sort of well-concealed "secret" deliberately hidden from consumers by the pay TV industry. They even feature a shadowy "deep throat" guy who says he is a broadcast engineer. That guy vouches for the quality of OTA reception, but asserts that local TV stations don't publicize free OTA reception because they are "afraid" of repercussions from offending the cable/satellite "Mafiosos" who pay retransmission fees to the TV stations.

Having said that, Clear TV's infomercials are a hoot to watch! I think you can even find them on YouTube or at the web site for "Clear TV'.

So there you have it - these are antennas I've used at our house, which is somewhat typical of the Greater Seattle area in that there are many tall trees that obstruct TV reception.
post #3313 of 3319 Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The Terk HDTVi uses the same UHF design as the Silver Sensor. And it adds rabbit ears for VHF. But if you don't want to be restricted to the attached 6ft cable, you can use the UHF element without attaching it to the base. You just have to find something to mount it on. And of course the HDTVa is the amplified version. I have found the HDTVi/HDTVa to be a very good indoor antenna. But for some indeed the Mohu Leaf or Winegard Flatwave/Blade can also perform very well.
post #3314 of 3319 Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The Terk HDTVi uses the same UHF design as the Silver Sensor. And it adds rabbit ears for VHF. But if you don't want to be restricted to the attached 6ft cable, you can use the UHF element without attaching it to the base. You just have to find something to mount it on. And of course the HDTVa is the amplified version. I have found the HDTVi/HDTVa to be a very good indoor antenna. But for some indeed the Mohu Leaf or Winegard Flatwave/Blade can also perform very well.
Thanks for confirming that the HDTVi is almost identical to the SS but adds useful VHF elements. If the Terks have the same Antiference design, then they also would be very directional.
post #3315 of 3319 Old 04-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There's a fairly new Mohu knockoff from Alphaline sold at Kmart, the SE-5000 http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-enhanced-indoor-hd-antenna-se-5000/p-018W006415105001P my quick review is that it's fairly marginal for reception here in Briarwood, Queens, it can receive hi VHF WABC 7 well which is somewhat surprising, but requires much fiddling around the room to get the various sweet spots for other stations, a stationary wall or window placement would be impossible for reception on all channels. WPIX, WNET and WLIW don't come in at all. Bottom line, this is likely going back.
post #3316 of 3319 Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

There's a fairly new Mohu knockoff from Alphaline sold at Kmart, the SE-5000 http://www.kmart.com/alphaline-trade-enhanced-indoor-hd-antenna-se-5000/p-018W006415105001P my quick review is that it's fairly marginal for reception here in Briarwood, Queens, it can receive hi VHF WABC 7 well which is somewhat surprising, but requires much fiddling around the room to get the various sweet spots for other stations, a stationary wall or window placement would be impossible for reception on all channels. WPIX, WNET and WLIW don't come in at all. Bottom line, this is likely going back.
While it is similar to the Mohu, the Alphaline antenna is a rebranded Winegard Flatwave made for Sears/Kmart stores. It is a bit better designed for VHF than the Mohu, and they also have the amplified version.
post #3317 of 3319 Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

Indoor reception can be full of surprises. I recently got a new tv in one room here. It is easily twice as large as the old one. Both tvs are LCD. Using a Flatwave prior, rf 10 was best with the Flatwave about 2 feet from the set. Now it is around 9 feet away. Before, rf 9 was best with the antenna about 6 feet away. Now it is slightly more than 1. UHF reception has also changed. It's like the room is an entirely new one for reception. That's the power of multipath. I do enjoy the larger television.
post #3318 of 3319 Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am pretty knowledgeable about alot of things on the house, but electronics is a mystery to me. And I don't have a dad or brother to ask these things of. Please help me figure out which antenna I need. 

I live in Boca Raton, FL zip 33487. My house is single story. I want to put a whole house antenna in the attic. Currently, I have an amplified splitter (plugged into electric with cable TV line) with 7 dedicated lines going to each room.

When I look up the address on those sites, it says I have a strong signal from both West Palm Beach and Miami. It says I am 30 miles from towers in West Palm and 50 from Miami. It says West Palm is 20 degrees and Miami is 300 degrees. From that info, that I have signals due north and due south, I believe I need a multidirectional antenna........correct?

Now, which one...........? I read about them on Amazon etc. but unfortunately, I don't understand the technical jargon that people who know about these things use. I chatted with a rep at one of the big online sellers of amplifiers and he suggested a DB8e antenna, a VHF antenna retro fit kit and a 9 way HD drop bidirectional amp CDA8 for $285.

I have a Roku and have been living with that since Comcast cut me off after they figured out they left basic cable on my TV's when I cut the cord. But I want to get this done. I have started and stopped many times because I'm afraid of buying the wrong thing. I don't mind spending the money. I want to do it once and do it right. I don't have 7 TV's right now, but I want the house to be set up for more if I buy them. Several are still analog right now and I use Roku with those. 

Thank you for any help...........Nina in Florida

post #3319 of 3319 Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I would say save some money and try an HBU-33 Antennacraft, or 7696 Winegard. And an RCA preamp and an 8-way splitter. But that DB8e can be multidirectional, as each 4-bay side can be pointed different directions. But there are less expensive, similar versions from MCM and Solid Signal. Then add a VHF 7-13 antenna with a UHF/VHF signal joiner.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Terk Hdtva Indoor Amplified High Definition Antenna For Off Air Hdtv Reception , Terk Hdtvo Amplified Hdtv Antenna , Antennas Direct C2 Clearstream Television Antenna , Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier , Eagle Aspen Dtv2buhf Directv 2 Bay Uhf Antenna , Terk Fdtv1a Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page