EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1531 of 3332 Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
That is an 1880.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 3332 Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new and I have been contemplating going to OTA and dropping cable after realizing that most of what i watch is the big networks. So after reading some of this thread, I went to radio shack and got me the Budget Antenna 1874 which seems to be pretty well-loved in this forum. I was able to get exactly all of the channels in my tvfool plot that had the green background. Nothing more and nothing less. The problem is I would also like the next tier with the yellow background (KBTC, KWPX, KWDK, KHCV, KUNS). Specifically, I would love to have KUNS since this is a deal breaker for dropping cable.

So according to my tvfool plot in order to get the yellow background channels, I need to have an antenna in the attic. I was wondering if theres a chance I might get these with a peppier indoor antenna. i have no idea how to run wires from the attic and it sounds like a big pain.
post #1533 of 3332 Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would try a Radio Shack 1892 UFO.....you should be able to do well with all those yellow stations with this amplified antenna....all of them are UHF too which is good. You do have one powerful VHF station PBS which should do fine with the Rabbit Ear VHF dipoles included on the unit. I would set 2 positions one for the stations in yellow at 140 degrees and on high power gain, and one for the stations 208 to 256 degrees at low power gain (or maybe just point at 140 on high power and the others will come in off the backside so you wont have to fiddle with the antenna position). Hopefully you wont overload the tuner on your more more powerful stations (this wont hurt the tuner, it just wont work or will break up like having a weak signal).

I think this has a very good chance of working well for you.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #1534 of 3332 Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydeecm View Post

I'm new and I have been contemplating going to OTA and dropping cable after realizing that most of what i watch is the big networks. So after reading some of this thread, I went to radio shack and got me the Budget Antenna 1874 which seems to be pretty well-loved in this forum. I was able to get exactly all of the channels in my tvfool plot that had the green background. Nothing more and nothing less. The problem is I would also like the next tier with the yellow background (KBTC, KWPX, KWDK, KHCV, KUNS). Specifically, I would love to have KUNS since this is a deal breaker for dropping cable.

So according to my tvfool plot in order to get the yellow background channels, I need to have an antenna in the attic. I was wondering if theres a chance I might get these with a peppier indoor antenna. i have no idea how to run wires from the attic and it sounds like a big pain.

The 1874 sounds like it performed exactly as expected, picking up stations not too far away. If you want to put an antenna in the attic and have a closet near or in the room behind the TV, it's easy to run the wire up into the attic from there. Just hang the antenna from the roof rafters on a pole. Even a broom handle will do. Attic antennas do not have to be grounded.

But if you want to try another indoor antenna, exchange the 1874 for the 1892 UFO that EV mentioned. If any indoor antenna will work for weaker signals, that one often will. The downside to it is that you may have to readjust it every time you change channels. Your TV tuner may also need to have the option that allows you to add channels to those found in the initial scan, either manually or auto-add.

The good thing about RS is they take returns.
post #1535 of 3332 Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydeecm View Post

Have you tried putting the budget antenna in the attic? I'm able to go halfway down the yellows with the antenna in the attic and using an old amplifier (plus I'm 50 miles from broadcast stations).

My backup plan was going to be getting a ChannelMaster CM-7777 amplifier if the above setup didn't work for me. Since it has, I'm happy with how things are now. The nice thing about the 7777 is it'll merge two signals together, so you could buy a second antenna that's better suited to pulling what you want (KUNS is uhf, so a uhf antenna would greatly help things for you).

I also notice from looking at your TVFool report that KUNS and the other yellows are at a different compass heading. Have you tried orienting the antenna such that it's perpendicular to the compass heading? That's the best way to set up the antenna to pick up the stations you want. Also, be sure to mess around with the dipoles - different angles and lengths will change reception. But yeah definitely put it in the attic.
post #1536 of 3332 Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks for your help, I am happy I posted. That compass part of it is what gets me, when all the stations seem like they are so close in miles.

i am hoping like the first person said theres a chance that they all come in the RS1892, since I can hear KUNS and the scan picks it up and channel 28 too, theres just nothing to see. I will try that UFO thing, its kind of scary ugly.
post #1537 of 3332 Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

...KUNS is uhf, so a uhf antenna would greatly help things for you.

That RS 1874 is VHF & UHF.
post #1538 of 3332 Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

That RS 1874 is VHF & UHF.

yes, it has a basic uhf loop. I think you'd agree that a DB4 would be better at picking up uhf signal than the 1874
post #1539 of 3332 Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 AM

The remote-control-dness positioning of the UFO antenna be useless if you are using it with a OTA dual-tuner DVR, correct? I am assuming it can only output channels in one position at a time, even if you are recording two stations in different positions.
post #1540 of 3332 Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, but you may have success pointing it in one direction at the far week signals and picking up the strong ones off the backside. So you can set it in one position and forget it....thus you could use the dual tuner feature on the DVR.

post #1541 of 3332 Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Our local walmart just got a huge shipment of these. RCA ANT1050. Has anyone tested one and if so what would you say the max range of it is?

It's $14.97 at walmart.
post #1542 of 3332 Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoge21 View Post

Our local walmart just got a huge shipment of these. RCA ANT1050. Has anyone tested one and if so what would you say the max range of it is?

The Batenna.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1543 of 3332 Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

We're just under nine miles from the transmistters, and an ANT1050 is doing very well for us for both VHF and UHF in a second-floor window; it's not facing the transmitters head-on, but it does have a line of sight to them at very oblique diagonals.  (Specifically, it's in an east window, with its ends to the north and south, and the azimuths to the transmitters are 153° to Sears Tower [remind me to edit that when the building name changes] and 144° to the Hancock Center.  The builder of our house, as a joke I suppose, aligned the walls along the cardinal directions rather than making them parallel to the section lines, so a perpendicular to the antenna would be 54° or 63° away from the direct lines to the transmitters.)  There are trees in the way, and they've come into leaf the last couple of weeks, but the reception hasn't suffered at all, to go by the bar on the Zenith DTT901 CECB.  It does better than the TV's own rabbit ears and bow tie do atop the TV, largely I suppose because it's in the window.

The thing is floppy and will not stand on edge nor remain in position leaned against something unless there's something else to halt its slide.  Illustrations with it all seem to be of nailing it to a wall or taping it to a window.  I have it at the top of the lower window, leaning against the glass of the upper pane, the lock keeping it from slipping down and flopping to end up flat as it likes to do.

It was absolutely worthless on the first floor of the house, though, and generally I wouldn't try it where reception is not so good.
post #1544 of 3332 Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 AM

I bought the Radio Shack 1892 UFO to use at work. The guy in the next cubicle liked it so much he bought one too, but now every time he turns his on with the remote, it turns mine on too. LOL
post #1545 of 3332 Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 PM

I just bought an RS 1892 UFO. The Winegard SS-3000 was suggested because it doesn't have annoying rabbit ears but once I looked at the UFO I thought I could live with it, and besides I could easily return it to RS if I didn't like it. Well I do like it. For 90% of the stations I can keep it positioned at one setting. For the remaining 10% I manually tune them in (I use a Zenith CECB) and program the channel on the UFO. Since I can program the UFO remote for use by my Logitech Harmony remote I can pretty well dispense with the dinky UFO remote. At any rate, I can just about get all the stations with the RS UFO that I can get using my outside MANT940. All these stations are less than 35 miles away.

Perhaps in the near future smart antenna technology will be more widely available. It would do all the dirty work I do in programming the RS UFO. But for now the RS UFO seems to be about the best indoor antenna out there.

Thanks EscapeVelocity for all the great information you have in this thread.

_Lazza
post #1546 of 3332 Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 PM

the UFO is basically like a powered multi-directional smart antenna. Seeing all these positive tests and reviews make me wanna go out to RS and grab one.

instead of getting up and messing with the antenna, you just press a button. How convenient is that?

BTW - Do the dipoles rotate 360 degrees or do they only turn left and right?
post #1547 of 3332 Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 AM

The UFO's dipoles are restricted in its range of motion due to the position of the UHF saucer. But surprisingly, I had little difficulty in finding a position of these poles to retrieve my two problematic VHF stations. Perhaps this is because the UFO is amplified and my previous antenna (RS 15-1868) was not? Regardless, this UFO thing really rocks. The only real negative to it is its dinky remote. You'll want to ditch it for some universal remote.

However I did find an anomaly with my UFO. Much to my (pleasant) surprise, the UFO has two coax ports in the back. This is so you can use the antenna with two devices (eg, a television and a DVDR). There is a manual switch on the main unit (TV, AUX) to indicate where to send the signals. When I switch it to AUX it seems no signals are being sent. However when the switch is set on TV *both* ports receive signals, which is something I prefer anyway.

_Lazza

PS - I suggest calling your local RS to check on availability. Don't trust what the RS web site wrt availability. I wound up going to two stores and eventually picking up what they had on display. A third store I went to a week ago didn't carry them at all.
post #1548 of 3332 Old 05-17-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow! I didnt know that there was a shortage of UFOs.

post #1549 of 3332 Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

I'm skeptical whether the Apex SM550 is even a true Smart Antenna.....
It only has one set of rabbit ears and a (too small) UHF loop around the clock,
so where are the multiple antennas?????

From Best Buy's description, I would conclude it's a typical amplified antenna
that can plug into the CEA-909 Smart Antenna I/F...but ONLY to pick up DC power....
although perhaps they're adjusting the amplifier gain????

BIG tip-off is the price is the same as a generic amplified rabbit ears
(so nothing left in the budget for a Smart Antenna electronics module).

PS: Here's SM-550 on the Apex website:
http://www.shop-apex.shoppingcartspl...87/6860063.htm

I have a Best Buy coupon that is about to expire, and went to a local (Portland, OR) Best Buy this afternoon to check out the SM550. Unsurprisingly, holl_ands is correct.

Apex's packaging is cleverly worded, but nowhere claims that the antenna is a "smart antenna." The only place where the phrase "smart antenna" appears on the box is the place where it states that the antenna can plug into either a standard input or a smart antenna input on a converter box.

As I was reading the box, a salesperson came over to help and volunteered that he had purchased that model for his own home use. He confirmed that the antenna is not a smart antenna and needs to be physically adjusted like conventional rabbit ears.
post #1550 of 3332 Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New antenna....kind of...prbably pretty good.

ClearStream Convertible™

The ClearStream1 Convertible is optimized for the UHF band and high VHF band signals.

post #1551 of 3332 Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

New antenna....kind of...prbably pretty good.

ClearStream Convertible

The ClearStream1 Convertible is optimized for the UHF band and high VHF band signals.

but does it filter out multi-path? I need something amplified that can really reject multi-path. The only candidate for that is a silver sensor but I cannot for the life of me find them in stores around here. Best buy is out and I don't order online....maybe something new will come out after june. Or I can keep looking around.

For the heck of it I bought one of those bat antennas for $12 just to add to my collection and to try out after the transition. Haha.
post #1552 of 3332 Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amplified Silver Sensor PHDTV3 or Terk HDTVa. These really cant be beat for multipath rejection. They have the tightest beamwidth. Both of these are amplified....they also have non amped versions.

post #1553 of 3332 Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

but does it filter out multi-path? I need something amplified that can really reject multi-path. The only candidate for that is a silver sensor but I cannot for the life of me find them in stores around here. Best buy is out and I don't order online....maybe something new will come out after june. Or I can keep looking around.

For the heck of it I bought one of those bat antennas for $12 just to add to my collection and to try out after the transition. Haha.

The C1C is a passive antenna. You can always add a high quality external pre-amp in the event you actually need an amp. Most indoor antennas with preamps use them to overcome negative gains and are, in general, pretty much crappy quality (noisy or susceptible to distortion).

I played with one yesterday in Kansas City at a family member's home. It was an easy location (7-15 miles from all towers) with all UHF stations and it picked them up perfectly in a second floor office. The most difficult one was KCPT (UHF-19, only 55 kW at about 14 miles) which required a slight readjustment of the position of the antenna.

The C1 Convertible is an evolution of the original C1. The base was redone to give the flexibility to use the antenna outdoors with the reflector, indoors with the reflector (it sits nicely on a shelf), indoors on a flat surface without the reflector, or hanging on a wall with no reflector (requires just the right conditions in order to work best). The indoors WAF is much improved if you can use it without the reflector.

Without the reflector, the C1C is bidirectional with a 70 degree beam width in each direction. With the reflector installed, it becomes more directional in the forward-facing direction with its maximum gain and best multi-path rejection.

The ClearStream antenna's tapered loop is still the best one I've seen for "cleaning up" multi-path. It isn't going to get any better.....
post #1554 of 3332 Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:

the UFO is basically like a powered multi-directional smart antenna. Seeing all these positive tests and reviews make me wanna go out to RS and grab one.

instead of getting up and messing with the antenna, you just press a button. How convenient is that? [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k09f0423lglc/b.gif[/IMG]

BTW - Do the dipoles rotate 360 degrees or do they only turn left and right?

I agree with you.
That's really a convenient one, based on their reviews
post #1555 of 3332 Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM

Here's the link: (ok, first post, can't add the link)
Easy to find on mcm electronics site.

It's Stellar Labs Part #: A218-003/MCM Order #: 30-2160

It looks pretty close, Max amplification: 28 dB, $14.95. I have no experience other than maybe cables from Stellar Labs. Any thought's on this one ?

My current setup in Atlanta works pretty good, an old set of RE's and bowtie. The kind that used to come w/ TV's a long time ago that mounted to hole in the back of the tv via a shaft at the base of the RE's. I just cut a piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole in it for the shaft. It looks fine to me, but I'll probably be the only one who thinks that. I might give this MCM model a try.
post #1556 of 3332 Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxlgt1 View Post

Here's the link: (ok, first post, can't add the link)
Easy to find on mcm electronics site.

It's Stellar Labs Part #: A218-003/MCM Order #: 30-2160

It looks pretty close, Max amplification: 28 dB, $14.95. I have no experience other than maybe cables from Stellar Labs. Any thought's on this one ?

My current setup in Atlanta works pretty good, an old set of RE's and bowtie. The kind that used to come w/ TV's a long time ago that mounted to hole in the back of the tv via a shaft at the base of the RE's. I just cut a piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole in it for the shaft. It looks fine to me, but I'll probably be the only one who thinks that. I might give this MCM model a try.

It probably wholesaled from the factory in China for $2. You can guess what kind of electronics are in there.....
post #1557 of 3332 Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

A narrow beamwidth suppresses multipath from buildings/bridges
between the desired transmitter and your location.
To reduce multipath, you also need high Front/Back Ratio, since worst multipath
"usually" comes in from rear reflections. Most indoor antennas do neither.....

The best you can hope for is an indoor antenna which has a significant NULL
that can be directed until it minimizes the multipath signal...without also
nulling out the desired signal, such as would happen with a typical UHF loop.
Hence the SilverSensor, Terk Klone and R-S UFO are good indoor performers.

The ClearStream C1C comes with a reflector which is MANDATORY in order
to provide a reasonable Front/Back Ratio...when you remove it for indoor use,
there is ZERO suppression of multipath coming from the rearward direction...
And it has a very wide beamwidth....enough said....

==================================
As the economy draws further down, stores are severely cutting back inventory....
If you don't figure out how to order off the internet, your options will continue to shrink.....

Ordering off the internet from REPUTABLE dealers can be just as safe as giving
your credit card to the minimum wage geeks at BestBuy....either can steal the number....

I have a separate credit card with a fairly low max limit I only use for internet,
so even if it gets messed up my primary card is unaffected.

I also check out lesser known websites:
http://www.resellerratings.com/
post #1558 of 3332 Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Yeah I'll probably get one of those reloadable visa cards and use one of those. I want the Terk HDTVa.
post #1559 of 3332 Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I need something amplified that can really reject multi-path. The only candidate for that is a silver sensor but I cannot for the life of me find them in stores around here.

Since the original Silver Sensor is unamplified, I assume you are referring to the PHDTV3 . Have you checked your local Target store? I don't see it on their web site, but I have seen it at Target stores in my area. I haven't tried this antenna, but others here have had good luck with it.
post #1560 of 3332 Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I need recommendations for the next roundup.

Walmart Batenna
Artec Antenna
Clearstream Convertible
GE Optima
Jensen TV920
GE Quantum
GE Millenium
Channel Master 4040

Anymore?

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Terk Hdtva Indoor Amplified High Definition Antenna For Off Air Hdtv Reception , Terk Hdtvo Amplified Hdtv Antenna , Antennas Direct C2 Clearstream Television Antenna , Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier , Eagle Aspen Dtv2buhf Directv 2 Bay Uhf Antenna , Terk Fdtv1a Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page