EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2341 of 3319 Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few comments.

Any metal (like your aluminum siding) can block and reflect the signal. Try to mount the antenna so that it "sees" through a window.

Indoor antennas shouldn't be expected to do much better than the green channels. You probably are aimed as well as you will be.

Height is important. Try mounting it higher.

Size is important as well. This is where a decent outdoor antenna can really make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3319 Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0

Thank you.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2343 of 3319 Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post

A few comments.

Any metal (like your aluminum siding) can block and reflect the signal. Try to mount the antenna so that it "sees" through a window.

Indoor antennas shouldn't be expected to do much better than the green channels. You probably are aimed as well as you will be.

Height is important. Try mounting it higher.

Size is important as well. This is where a decent outdoor antenna can really make a difference.

Thanks for the input Disaster. There is absolutely no window facing south/it is not even possible to hit south at an angle (through window). The only way to go higher is the attic route (which I may try). It sounds like it may be best to check out the outdoor threads and see if anyone has/had similar goals. I knew going in that indoor would probably work well for near locals (which they are designed for), but not so much for distance....I just thought maybe I'd get lucky.

Thanks again.
post #2344 of 3319 Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The only channel I care about is ABC channel 9 because it comes in choppy on my direct tv.

Ordinary, plain rabbit ears are your best bet for channel 9. That other antenna is uhf only, but with your strong signal, it may get it anyway.
post #2345 of 3319 Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking for some other option for an antenna - I have tried 3 different ones and none work in my situation. I have it split as one goes to the tivo HD box and one goes directly to my Sony TV.
I have tried this phililps and this Philips Foldable Indoor HDTV Antenna (SDV2710/27) and Philips SDV2780/27. The last one works OK but I have to move the antenna for certain channels or it goes in and out. This is on the main floor and we live in a 2 story home.

Any recommendations on another antenna to try. I would like to find one locally though I did come across this one Antenna.

I am also attaching the info from TVFool.
LL

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2346 of 3319 Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Here is my TVFool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7d5289f2b4b091

needs:
1) indoor antenna, would prefer if it was amplified.
2) doesn't have to look great, but is going to be in the living room so can't be a massive wire mess.
3) important channels: NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS (anything else is a bonus)
4) i need to order from amazon.com to get it by Thursday with my Prime, it's a gift for someone and the party is Friday.

anyone have any advice? i was looking to go with a Terk HDTVa, Philips MANT510, or RCA ANT1650 unless someone else has some advice, or could recommend which of those three would be best based on my TV Fool (which is based on the person who is receiving the gift).

Thanks!
post #2347 of 3319 Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

Here is my TVFool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7d5289f2b4b091

needs:
1) indoor antenna, would prefer if it was amplified.
2) doesn't have to look great, but is going to be in the living room so can't be a massive wire mess.
3) important channels: NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS (anything else is a bonus)
4) i need to order from amazon.com to get it by Thursday with my Prime, it's a gift for someone and the party is Friday.

anyone have any advice? i was looking to go with a Terk HDTVa, Philips MANT510, or RCA ANT1650 unless someone else has some advice, or could recommend which of those three would be best based on my TV Fool (which is based on the person who is receiving the gift).

Thanks!

Of the three antennas you're considering, I'd go with the Terk. However, your friend is going to require multiple aims for all of the stations you wish to receive. The RS 15-1892, the ufo shown on page 1 here, might be a better choice, since it has a remote for changing its aim. Plus, it can be returned if it doesn't work. Regardless of the antenna you choose, you might want to include an F-Coupler and some extra coax, so the antenna can be moved to find a sweet spot for reception and the room. Good Luck.
post #2348 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Looking for some other option for an antenna - I have tried 3 different ones and none work in my situation. I have it split as one goes to the tivo HD box and one goes directly to my Sony TV.
I have tried this phililps and this Philips Foldable Indoor HDTV Antenna (SDV2710/27) and Philips SDV2780/27. The last one works OK but I have to move the antenna for certain channels or it goes in and out. This is on the main floor and we live in a 2 story home.

Any recommendations on another antenna to try. I would like to find one locally though I did come across this one Antenna.

I am also attaching the info from TVFool.

Have you tried the antennas on the 2nd floor? You are real close to those stations and should have no problems with reception unless you've got something in the way blocking the signal...like a hill or big buildings. Unfortunately, with digital, it is all about capturing the signal fairly cleanly....a noisy weak signal will yield nothing...as will a noisy strong signal. Too strong a signal can actually cause a problem with tuners...as can a signal with lots of reflections. You need to get up into the path of the clean signal and have a big enough antenna to amplify the signal, but the first part is the most important...being in the clean signal path.
post #2349 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

Of the three antennas you're considering, I'd go with the Terk. However, your friend is going to require multiple aims for all of the stations you wish to receive. The RS 15-1892, the ufo shown on page 1 here, might be a better choice, since it has a remote for changing its aim. Plus, it can be returned if it doesn't work. Regardless of the antenna you choose, you might want to include an F-Coupler and some extra coax, so the antenna can be moved to find a sweet spot for reception and the room. Good Luck.

Thanks for the response. One last question then, is the RS 15-1892 a better antenna than the three I listed, or is it similar but suggested mainly because of the remote for changing the aim? Just wondering.

Thanks.
post #2350 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post

Have you tried the antennas on the 2nd floor? You are real close to those stations and should have no problems with reception unless you've got something in the way blocking the signal...like a hill or big buildings. Unfortunately, with digital, it is all about capturing the signal fairly cleanly....a noisy weak signal will yield nothing...as will a noisy strong signal. Too strong a signal can actually cause a problem with tuners...as can a signal with lots of reflections. You need to get up into the path of the clean signal and have a big enough antenna to amplify the signal, but the first part is the most important...being in the clean signal path.

Not with this setup. I have a an older TV upstairs with channel master converter box and cheap antenna and that works fine. But that is because that channel master has a better tuner in it than my Tivo and Sony TV.

I can try it and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2351 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. One last question then, is the RS 15-1892 a better antenna than the three I listed, or is it similar but suggested mainly because of the remote for changing the aim? Just wondering.

Thanks.

I suggested the ufo for its remote. I'd say the Terk is a better antenna.
post #2352 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I had a long cable laying around so I ran the small antenna upstairs and it did help.
So does this mean it is best to get an outdoor antenna and mount it outside?

post #2353 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Well I had a long cable laying around so I ran the small antenna upstairs and it did help.
So does this mean it is best to get an outdoor antenna and mount it outside?

Yes, but you might be OK if you just added an amp near the antenna upstairs. You are will be losing signal on that long run and the extra boost might be all you need.
post #2354 of 3319 Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I can't leave it that way as the cable was run from the living room up the stairs and into the master bedroom as that room points to the tower best.

I do have a very high ceiling in the living room that I could try next.

post #2355 of 3319 Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I have both RS and the Terk antennas. As far as antenna's go I would say they are both about as good as it gets with indoor antenna's but for pulling in signals, I would have to give the Terk a slight edge over the RS1892. At least at my location.
post #2356 of 3319 Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hey EV,

Have you seen the Winegard FreeVision? 6 inches deep, otherwise 21 inches maximum, and designed for channels 7-69. It looks interesting.
post #2357 of 3319 Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Yes, I know someone who is currently testing one.

Thanks for everyone picking up the ball around here. I really need to get back and work on updating the Front Page.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #2358 of 3319 Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 PM

I have roamed the Web near and far looking for anyone who can sell me the Quantum FX ANT-102 indoor antenna. I bought one from millionbuy, but after 10 days I had my paypal account credited with the purchase amount - no explanation, just "Here's your money back." What's up with that?

Someone, anyone, please tell me where I can part with my money and get one of these antennas. I found several other places but they all seem to lead back to millionbuy or phimart - dead ends. Surely there's a reputable seller with one of these on the shelf taking up valuable space.
Gary
post #2359 of 3319 Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granathg View Post

I have roamed the Web near and far looking for anyone who can sell me the Quantum FX ANT-102 indoor antenna. I bought one from millionbuy, but after 10 days I had my paypal account credited with the purchase amount - no explanation, just "Here's your money back." What's up with that?

Someone, anyone, please tell me where I can part with my money and get one of these antennas. I found several other places but they all seem to lead back to millionbuy or phimart - dead ends. Surely there's a reputable seller with one of these on the shelf taking up valuable space.
Gary

http://www.everycaraudio.com/view_pr...d-ANTENNA.html ??

Is that a really good indoor antenna? What's the purpose of a remote with only one button? You don't seem to be able to change "direction" with it.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2360 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Coincidentally, I ordered from the site you recommended. We'll see what happens. I'm not hopeful because if you click the antenna images to enlarge them, there's a millionbuy watermark shown. So I expect this order will come back to me unfilled. Maybe the button is like a hat switch, push one side or the other.
Gary
post #2361 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+UH...nna&cp=2&lp=10

I picked one of these up bevause it was cheap only $10. Upon testing it out I was able to get all my vhf stations and a few uhf in without even extending the rods or moving it or anything with it sitting next to the tv.
post #2362 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granathg View Post

Coincidentally, I ordered from the site you recommended. We'll see what happens. I'm not hopeful because if you click the antenna images to enlarge them, there's a millionbuy watermark shown. So I expect this order will come back to me unfilled. Maybe the button is like a hat switch, push one side or the other.
Gary

I didn't "recommend" them, that's just a place I happen to find that was selling them. I looked when you asked.

So what about this: Is that a really good indoor antenna?" Or you don't know anything about it? Please let us know what the remote does when you get it.

Interesting about the image, I didn't even notice that. They're not hot-linking to the image from the other website, it's on their server. Maybe they just don't care about the watermark, or maybe they are related in some way.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2363 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoge21 View Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+UH...nna&cp=2&lp=10

I picked one of these up bevause it was cheap only $10. Upon testing it out I was able to get all my vhf stations and a few uhf in without even extending the rods or moving it or anything with it sitting next to the tv.

What's your environment like, and how far away are you from the TV stations? Was the reception better after extending the rods and moving it?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2364 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how the Quantum FM ANT-102 and FX ANT-102 differ? I see the "FX" mentioned in this thread. You'd think the "FM" version meant FM radio, but I don't see any mention of FM radio on the sales webpages. I also can't find their website.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #2365 of 3319 Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My tvfool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c20155a7ab21af

Goal is to pick up KSMV-LP or KVMD-DT 31.1 + subchannels as both stations broadcast the same content. Though I sometimes pickup KVMD-DT, it might actually might be KSMV-LP even though the station is says KVMD on my Zinwell 950A box. Currently, my main antenna is just a 7" UHF loop twist-tied onto some cheap rabbit ears and placed on a stand by a window. Cutoff point at which I can get regularly get a stable picture is probably KWHY. Any suggestions for an antenna would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks.
post #2366 of 3319 Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 AM

Liked: 16
i just purchased a rca cant 1650 (must be the canadian version) over the weekend.it comes equipped with a 12db amp as well.i was quite surprised.the first scan i did was without the amp and i picked as many channels (10) as with my philips mant 510 (amped).mind you,the signal strength was down a bit to the point of dropout and pixelation occuring occasionally.i plugged the amp in and did a scan and not to my surprise,all of the channels disappeared.im wondering what would be a good replacement amp for this application as the attenna shows alot of promise for my application.im in southern ontario,and i receive most of the western new york stations consistently(within 40 miles) from my apartment,which faces north.
post #2367 of 3319 Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

What's your environment like, and how far away are you from the TV stations? Was the reception better after extending the rods and moving it?

It works better with the rods down. It gets a very weak UHF station that's 2-edge 12 miles away which is what I use it for. It gets the same stuff as my amped units get too.
post #2368 of 3319 Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Does anyone know how the Quantum FM ANT-102 and FX ANT-102 differ? I see the "FX" mentioned in this thread. You'd think the "FM" version meant FM radio, but I don't see any mention of FM radio on the sales webpages. I also can't find their website.

It will work for FM if the dipole rods are extended ~28.5" each. That length will peak it for the FM band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

My tvfool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c20155a7ab21af

This antenna, if pointed NE, should get KNLA-LD and all the stations listed above it in your TVFool report.
post #2369 of 3319 Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quick test report with the Winegard FV-HD30

I gave my son a FV-HD30 for Christmas and we installed it in his fourth floor apartment over the holidays. He lives 10 miles away from the towers which are located on top of a nearby mountain. I compared the FV-HD30 versus two rabbit ear/loop indoor antennas (RCA-111 and Radio Shack 1874) using the margin to dropout method. Higher margins are better and a minimum margin of 15 dB or higher is desirable. All three antennas were mounted in the same location.

Test results are shown in the attached graph. All three antennas had acceptable margins to dropout for the channels of interest. However, the FV-HD30 clearly beat the two indoor antennas on both VHF and UHF reception. Is it really 10 dB better than the loop/rabbitear antennas? It was in this test but given the vagaries of indoor antenna installations, YMMV and likely will vary.

Given the positive results, we added a splitter and ran cable to a second tv up in the bedroom loft. Margin to dropout decreased by 4 dB (tv 1) to 6 dB (tv 2) after adding the two way splitter and extra cable run. Signal strengths on the main tv (new Samsung LCD) were 100% for all stations except ch 39 which was 80%. The second tv has a zenith converter box and all stations were ~85 to 90% on it (shows a SS bar only, but no numeric value).

My son and I were very pleased with the positive test results and easy installation! IMO, the FV-HD30 is a viable competitor in the indoor antenna market. It is more expensive than the rabbitear/loop antennas but had superior performance and a smaller form factor than the two indoor loop antennas. Plus, it can be mounted on the wall and painted, if desired.

During the Boise test, I also compared the FV-HD30 to a reflectorless mclapp 2 bay antenna. The mclapp is a DIY antenna with 10 inch whiskers, 9-1/2 inch bay spacing, and 1-3/4" phase line spacing. It costs less than $5 to build. Results are shown in the attached graph. The FV-HD30 had slightly better high VHF performance than the mclapp while the mclapp tended to have higher performance on UHF. These results are consistent with a comparison in my home town, using the same two antennas. Adding a reflector to the mclapp increases UHF reception by ~3 dB but reduces VHF reception by 9 dB. The DIY mclapp 2-bay is a viable option for the cost conscious buyer. It (mclapp 2-bay) is very spartan in appearance and would be more appealing in situations where it can be hidden (near an outside wall) rather than mounted on the wall in plain sight. All tests were conducted indoors. Results may have varied with outdoor testing.
LL
LL
post #2370 of 3319 Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Liked: 16
velocity,i dont have a balcony on my apt so that is why i purchased an indoor antenna.the results look promising so i'd thought i'd tinker with a different amp to see if the results would improve.any recommendations?
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Terk Hdtva Indoor Amplified High Definition Antenna For Off Air Hdtv Reception , Terk Hdtvo Amplified Hdtv Antenna , Antennas Direct C2 Clearstream Television Antenna , Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier , Eagle Aspen Dtv2buhf Directv 2 Bay Uhf Antenna , Terk Fdtv1a Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page