Fios TV vs. DirecTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I made the switch from DirecTV to FiOS TV, and also now have the FiOS phone and the FiOS internet.

Unfortunately, I soon realized that the service wasn't as good as I'd hoped. First of all, I'd ordered the 15mbps down/15 mbps up service for my internet. On speed tests, I'm only getting 15 down and about 8.2 up. The technician that performed the installation ran the speed test for me and got these results. He'd said he'd make a call to get it fixed, but so far, no luck yet.

Secondly, the FiOS TV picture quality is HORRIBLE in comparison to what I'd had, which was DirecTV. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until after the technician had left, but it was later that night. Basically, the color is washed out and bleeding, the backgrounds are pixelated, there are periods of no picture/grayness, and the images on the screen are flickering and sort of dancing. I'd noticed that where lines appear around the set top box's display, the lines aren't smooth, they sort of bleed and are kind of wavy.

Be advised, I'm posting in regards to wanting to know others' experience with FiOS TV vs DirecTV. I did want to state my experience w/ Verizon as well.

When I went into ordering the service, I'd explained that I wanted three set top boxes (STBs). The first one was HD, which I'd said I was connecting to my computer. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 which I installed on my computer (for inquiring minds, it works w/ FiOS TV). The second STB was a HD 6416-1. I was a bit confused on this, considering it said HD on it and I'd specifically mentioned that this was for a standard definition television (SD). My third box was for a SD TV, I don't know the model of it. I ordered straight from the Verizon store, considering their website was giving me problems (it seems to never work correctly, they offer the best deals on the web that you can't seem to subscribe to, by always telling me "Sorry, we are unable to continue your order at this time. Please try again later or contact your local Verizon business office for assistance."). The salesman mislead me into thinking that my quadruple play (TV/Internet/Phone/Wireless) bill would be $158/month. When they'd called to remind me about my FiOS installation date, my mother had inquired about the price again, and then told it was going to be about $245 (I forgot the exact figure). Why is it, that on the internet, that their quadruple play service starts at $154.99? Seriously, I don't know what the heck is going on, here. I confronted that salesman today and then he goes on to tell me that the price he gave me only included the FiOS service (TV/Internet/Phone), and that mobile was extra. Then, said "I apologize if I mislead you." What the heck??

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced bad picture quality by switching from DirecTV to the FiOS TV and what was done about it or what can be done.

I'd also read reports that the set top box that I got as my DVR (QIP6416-1), changes channels slowly in comparison. This is annoying, too, but nothing in comparison to the bad picture quality I now have w/ the FiOS TV. Seriously, I've seen better looking quality out of a used VHS tape!

My mother is now pissed off and wants to go back to DirecTV.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

This should have been posted to the Technical forum. Fios TV offers excellent SD and HD picture quality. Your setup almost certainly messed up. Check the Fios threads for help.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I used to have both FiOS and DirecTV and FiOS did look better on the HD channels, but barely.

As for your setup, one thing I can tell you is that there is no way to capture HD from a FiOS STB using a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 180. You can capture SD with it by using S-Video, but not HD.

If you want to capture HD, you'll have to use component and the Hauppauge HD PVR.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #4 of 16 Old 06-21-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm very interested in hearing what more people think of this comparison. I have had FIOS TV for the last 2 years and have mixed feelings about the service. The set-top boxes FIOS uses are shear utter crap and the customer service is still untrained un knowledgeable reps. The price has also been bumped twice since I've had service and yet I'm still with them, why.. I keep asking myself.

I've been considering the switch back to D** but continue to hesitate because I am not sure if the PQ of D** has improved since I last used them just over 2 years ago. In comparing the costs it look like I can get better pricing leaving FIOS.

Very interested in feedback..
post #5 of 16 Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post

Yesterday I made the switch from DirecTV to FiOS TV, and also now have the FiOS phone and the FiOS internet.

Unfortunately, I soon realized that the service wasn't as good as I'd hoped. First of all, I'd ordered the 15mbps down/15 mbps up service for my internet. On speed tests, I'm only getting 15 down and about 8.2 up. The technician that performed the installation ran the speed test for me and got these results. He'd said he'd make a call to get it fixed, but so far, no luck yet.

Secondly, the FiOS TV picture quality is HORRIBLE in comparison to what I'd had, which was DirecTV. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until after the technician had left, but it was later that night. Basically, the color is washed out and bleeding, the backgrounds are pixelated, there are periods of no picture/grayness, and the images on the screen are flickering and sort of dancing. I'd noticed that where lines appear around the set top box's display, the lines aren't smooth, they sort of bleed and are kind of wavy.

Be advised, I'm posting in regards to wanting to know others' experience with FiOS TV vs DirecTV. I did want to state my experience w/ Verizon as well.

When I went into ordering the service, I'd explained that I wanted three set top boxes (STBs). The first one was HD, which I'd said I was connecting to my computer. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 which I installed on my computer (for inquiring minds, it works w/ FiOS TV). The second STB was a HD 6416-1. I was a bit confused on this, considering it said HD on it and I'd specifically mentioned that this was for a standard definition television (SD). My third box was for a SD TV, I don't know the model of it. I ordered straight from the Verizon store, considering their website was giving me problems (it seems to never work correctly, they offer the best deals on the web that you can't seem to subscribe to, by always telling me "Sorry, we are unable to continue your order at this time. Please try again later or contact your local Verizon business office for assistance."). The salesman mislead me into thinking that my quadruple play (TV/Internet/Phone/Wireless) bill would be $158/month. When they'd called to remind me about my FiOS installation date, my mother had inquired about the price again, and then told it was going to be about $245 (I forgot the exact figure). Why is it, that on the internet, that their quadruple play service starts at $154.99? Seriously, I don't know what the heck is going on, here. I confronted that salesman today and then he goes on to tell me that the price he gave me only included the FiOS service (TV/Internet/Phone), and that mobile was extra. Then, said "I apologize if I mislead you." What the heck??

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced bad picture quality by switching from DirecTV to the FiOS TV and what was done about it or what can be done.

I'd also read reports that the set top box that I got as my DVR (QIP6416-1), changes channels slowly in comparison. This is annoying, too, but nothing in comparison to the bad picture quality I now have w/ the FiOS TV. Seriously, I've seen better looking quality out of a used VHS tape!

My mother is now pissed off and wants to go back to DirecTV.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

So you say nothing about how you are hooked up. HDMI, Component? Are your cables going through a receiver?

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #6 of 16 Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Hi,

I also had FIOS TV/Internet/phone installed last week, and I'm about ready to cancel the TV standard definition (SD) service! I remember that rental VHS tapes from Blockbuster a decade ago gave me a better picture!

I used to have DirecTV for 5 years in two different Southern California counties, and I always had crystal clear pictures in most channels (say, 99.9% of them) on my 2003-bought, SD, CRT non-flat 32" TV. I now moved only 5-10 miles away and I ordered FIOS TV.

And the picture quality sucks! Many channels look awful, grainy or dark. Although a few channels look as good as with DirecTV. I tried reducing the "color" setting in my TV, and also adjusted the brightness or contrast a little bit. The picture improved, but not by much. BTW, my 'new' house was built in 1995 and has coax pre-wired inside the walls.

What could be the problem?

1. Improper FIOS installation
2. Improper STB (set-top box) settings
3. My TV got damaged in the move (I doubt it)
4. The house inside coax wiring is defective
5. DirecTV is a better product for SD CRT TV sets like mine

Any ideas? I think I have 15 days to cancel the new service.

Thank you.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

OK I felt the need to follow up on my post.

In regards to my speed problems, I'd found it was my own computer. I'd tried it with my wired connection and my wireless connection. For some reason, my wireless worked. Using a TCP analyzer, I was told to disable TCP autotuning. I have no idea what that is, but it did the trick. I'm now getting 15.5 mbps down (the same), and about 13.1 mbps up.

In regards to my TV problem, there's something I hadn't realized. First of all, my dad had dropped the TV when putting it on the stand, thus bending the cable connections in the back. He's no longer with us, so unfortunately the message didn't get passed on very well. The tech came back and was able to somehow fix things up so they worked. The TV is a Sony Trinitron from probably the mid 90s or somewhere around there. It still works, but eventually I'll replace it with a LCD. Obviously we won't have the problem with bent plugs with a new TV, along with better connection options, too. Anyhow, the picture works great now with a HD DVR STB (the model I stated previously), even though it's overkill.

Anyhow, we're all happy. The only thing is, again, changing the channel is very sluggish, but I'm sure in time that'll be fixed. We've now got all of our Verizon things on one bill which is great. Considering I didn't watch DirecTV before, I can't really comment on a comparison between that and FiOS TV. My mother was the one that noticed the difference prior to getting further assistance from the tech. One thing I'm looking forward to, is not having a crappy picture during the next serious winter storm. That alone makes it all worth it!

I probably should've come here before purchasing my TV Tuner. Oh well. It works and I'm happy. I'm not actually using the TV Tuner as a 'tuner', so-to-speak, I'm just using it to connect to my HD Tuner box. So, if the box is enabled to use HD channels, shouldn't I be able to view them on my computer as well?
post #8 of 16 Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post

OK I felt the need to follow up on my post.

... In regards to my TV problem, there's something I hadn't realized. First of all, my dad had dropped the TV when putting it on the stand, thus bending the cable connections in the back. He's no longer with us, so unfortunately the message didn't get passed on very well. The tech came back and was able to somehow fix things up so they worked. The TV is a Sony Trinitron from probably the mid 90s or somewhere around there. It still works, but eventually I'll replace it with a LCD. Obviously we won't have the problem with bent plugs with a new TV, along with better connection options, too. Anyhow, the picture works great now with a HD DVR STB (the model I stated previously), even though it's overkill ....

... I probably should've come here before purchasing my TV Tuner. Oh well. It works and I'm happy. I'm not actually using the TV Tuner as a 'tuner', so-to-speak, I'm just using it to connect to my HD Tuner box. So, if the box is enabled to use HD channels, shouldn't I be able to view them on my computer as well?

You know, of course, that if your TV is from the mid-90's it is not HD capable, and everything you watch will be standard definition only, regardless of the source.

As to whether you will be able to watch HD channels on your computer, it all depends on how it is configured. You may even be able to feed the tuner box directly to the computer monitor, bypassing the compuer entirely. Generally speaking, for HD you would then need either a component (analog) or HDMI/DVI (digital) connection. Also, of course, the monitor will need to be HD capable. Most monitors have only a DVI digital input, if they have any digital input at all. If the box has an HDMI output, you would then need an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. For copy protection, the component output may be down-rezed to SD, and you may also need the monitor to be HDCP-compliant to view HD on it through the digital connection.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Mamani View Post

Hi,

I also had FIOS TV/Internet/phone installed last week, and I'm about ready to cancel the TV standard definition (SD) service! I remember that rental VHS tapes from Blockbuster a decade ago gave me a better picture!

I used to have DirecTV for 5 years in two different Southern California counties, and I always had crystal clear pictures in most channels (say, 99.9% of them) on my 2003-bought, SD, CRT non-flat 32" TV. I now moved only 5-10 miles away and I ordered FIOS TV.

And the picture quality sucks! Many channels look awful, grainy or dark. Although a few channels look as good as with DirecTV. I tried reducing the "color" setting in my TV, and also adjusted the brightness or contrast a little bit. The picture improved, but not by much. BTW, my 'new' house was built in 1995 and has coax pre-wired inside the walls.

What could be the problem?

1. Improper FIOS installation
2. Improper STB (set-top box) settings
3. My TV got damaged in the move (I doubt it)
4. The house inside coax wiring is defective
5. DirecTV is a better product for SD CRT TV sets like mine

Any ideas? I think I have 15 days to cancel the new service.

Thank you.

I'm not sure what the problem may be, but after having both Direct TV and Comcast, FIOS SD is far superior!! "Much" less compression, and just a great picture using the S-Video connection. All of their satellite fed channels look amazing. The only satellite fed channel that is a bit soft is "The Weather Channel". The local channels are a bit soft compared to what you will get OTA with a digital to analog converter box; but still much better than Direct TV or Comcast.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between FIOS and DirecTV in SD and/or HD to warrant switching to FIOS? If so, is this likely to persist with new satellites?

If I go with FIOS, what is the minimum DirecTV package that I would need to keep to retain use of my HD DVR recordings?

If the picture quality improvement is mainly with SD on FIOS, is it possible to subscribe to just HD channels on DirecTV and get SD on FIOS?

ericlhyman
post #11 of 16 Old 06-29-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post

Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between FIOS and DirecTV in SD and/or HD to warrant switching to FIOS? If so, is this likely to persist with new satellites?

If I go with FIOS, what is the minimum DirecTV package that I would need to keep to retain use of my HD DVR recordings?

If the picture quality improvement is mainly with SD on FIOS, is it possible to subscribe to just HD channels on DirecTV and get SD on FIOS?

I think there's a large difference in SD. I never had good SD on DirecTV, can't comment on the HD, since I didn't have it on D*. The PQ on FIOS HD is amazing, both just by observation, and by the fact that there is no compression done on the input signals.

As far as PQ and AQ, I can't imagine the FIOS HD channels are inferior to D*, probably equivalent or better than the MPEG4, definitely a world better than the MPEG2
post #12 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 03:05 AM

if you have direct tv... keep it. fios tv is horrible. i felt like i down graded my home with fios tv. i've have fios 4 days now and i had to call for service everyday. i am switching back to direct tv asap. as for fios internet, thumbs up.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 12
I had Direct and the other sat provider-then FIOS-Love FIOS but am ditching the TV side after 5 years as I don't watch that much and the price has gone high and then higher-so OTA for me. Keeping their internet and phone service though.

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 14
I have EPB which is 100% Fiber. I can order 1Gbps for $300 type Fiber.

Their internet is awesome. I have the 100/100 package and eek.gif

As far as their TV service, rolleyes.gif

Compared to what I have in the area, Dish, EPB, Comcast, U-Verse, DirectTV wins by a long shot in terms of SD/HD IQ, GUI speed and quality, how often it doesn't go out or get image corruption, etc.

Would like to try FIOS, but sounds like even worse service than my local fiber provider.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I have EPB which is 100% Fiber. I can order 1Gbps for $300 type Fiber.

What is EPB??
post #16 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Local power company Electric Power Board put up a smart grid. In the process of rolling it out they decided to get into the communications business with the fiber they were laying down. They run fiber to each residence, and then from their outside box run Cat to your router/computer.
50/50 is the slowest speeds they offer, and they hold true too. I have the 100/100 package and that holds its speed as well.

It is pretty funny because Google 1Gbps has been all up in the news, but my provider beat them to the punch in offering 100% fiber and then 1Gbps speeds. Granted it isn't as cheap, it did come first.
Local government utility company pwned Google. cool.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page