Check my setup - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting my mother ready for the Feb 2009 date. She has only OTA analog at the moment. One 50" HD-Ready TV, and one 27" analog-only Panasonic, both connected to the VHF-only roof antenna.

Getting a Channel Master 4220 antenna (that newer one) to replace the VHF antenna, Channel Master 7000 converter box for the analog TV, and probably the Samsung DTBH260F for the HD ready TV.

Will this all work? Anything else?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM

The reception equipment seems OK. I have the Samsung box and it's great.

I see KABC, KCOP and KCAL on VHF-HI (7-13) on that list. Those signals look strong enough you should be able to do with a fairly small antenna despite the distance. The CM4220 might work for UHF, but it's a lousy antenna for VHF-HI. I have the Winegard HD-1080 on my roof and my VHF-HI reception is great. UHF reception is a bit worse than the CM4220, it seems, but it is great nevertheless.

Stark Electronic has it for $35. Winegard also makes higher-gain 7-69 antennas that are likely to work.

It's tough to say whether it'll work. If the only thing that concerns me is the split to two TV's of distant signals. If it works without a splitter but breaks up with one installed I'd recommend a higher-gain antenna than the HD-1080. They are strong so that might work, but I don't know. I'd replace the cables while I'm at it to ensure a longer life for the system.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpldc View Post

The reception equipment seems OK. I have the Samsung box and it's great.

I see KABC, KCOP and KCAL on VHF-HI (7-13) on that list. Those signals look strong enough you should be able to do with a fairly small antenna despite the distance. The CM4220 might work for UHF, but it's a lousy antenna for VHF-HI. I have the Winegard HD-1080 on my roof and my VHF-HI reception is great. UHF reception is a bit worse than the CM4220, it seems, but it is great nevertheless.

Stark Electronic has it for $35. Winegard also makes higher-gain 7-69 antennas that are likely to work.

It's tough to say whether it'll work. If the only thing that concerns me is the split to two TV's of distant signals. If it works without a splitter but breaks up with one installed I'd recommend a higher-gain antenna than the HD-1080. They are strong so that might work, but I don't know. I'd replace the cables while I'm at it to ensure a longer life for the system.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that some of those stations switch to VHF with the 2009 changes. I'll have to cancel that 4220 antenna and get a VHF/UHF combo. Thanks for the input.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

A bit more expensive than the HD-1080, but I believe it might give me a bit stronger signal. Thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that's a nice one too, and I hear it does do VHF-hi by chance, but it's probably much more antenna than I need.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

The CM-4228 will actually be just right in your situation. According to the chart you had posted, most of your stations are at least 40 miles away. The CM-4228 is just right for those distances. I receive VHF-Hi (7-13) stations 50 miles away, as well as the UHF stations, with it at 30' high.

Well, I live a bit to the east of her location, and 0.6 miles closer to the transmitters. I have a Channel Master 3021 (half of the 4228), and get 98% signal on my 3 sets here. The 4228 would be twice the size, although it does do VHF, which I'll need eventually here as well. I hope the 2016 I ordered will pull in almost as much UHF as the 3021, plus give me VHF-HI. We'll see.

My goal is to buy the smallest antenna I can, while achieving good reliable reception.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

All this brings up a question.

The antennas I've considered buying all had yellow, both shades of green, and red in the pie chart. I only care about receiving the stations in the yellow and green in my area, so a red antenna should be "better" than what I need, correct?

If the answer is no, then what good are the color zones to begin with?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

The CM-4228 will actually be just right in your situation. According to the chart you had posted, most of your stations are at least 40 miles away. The CM-4228 is just right for those distances. I receive VHF-Hi (7-13) stations 50 miles away, as well as the UHF stations, with it at 30' high.

No, the Winegard HD-1080 or CM 2016 is a good choice for his location. Look at the Line of Sight listings on his tvfool.com results. The TV towers in LA are located in a massive antenna farm on Mt. Wilson and are way the heck up there in height at over 6000' above sea level. People in LA have reported solid reception using indoor Silver Sensors at 50-60 miles if they have line of sight to the broadcast towers. The broadcast antennas for much of the LA basin are a much higher height above the terrain than your typical tower setup back east. All the major and most of the minor stations are all in the same area, so that makes it easier as well.

dbsanders, the HD-1080 or the CM 2016 are good choices for your locations if you have good line of sight to Mt. Wilson.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsanders View Post

A bit more expensive than the HD-1080, but I believe it might give me a bit stronger signal. Thanks!

The CM2016 specs state up to 35 miles, so that one and the HD-1080 are stretching it for the 40 mile distance to towers.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Ski- You must remember that "mile" ratings are based on general estimations. In flat terrain with average tranmitter height and ERPs, those ratings are about right.

What really matters, especially in an area like LA is the actual signal level at your location, not estimated mileage. He's got a direct line of sight to the towers, which gives him an incredibly high signal level. He could probably stick a paperclip in the back of the TV and get a signal on most channels. Honestly, I think that antenna (in last post) will work just fine.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

It will be here next week, and I'll test it out and report back what kind of signal levels I get.

Interestingly, I got a response back from solidsignal.com on their recommendation. They told me to get a Winegard 7697. ($119, 53 elements, 131 inch length). They recommend this to "all of Los Angeles and surrounding areas", so I guess they just push the worst case/large antenna for everyone. Not so helpful.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You gotta love Winegard antennas, but their really expensive (point in case). However, I think a $25 CM 4221 will work just as well in your situation.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I got the CM 2016, mounted it on the same mast as the 3021 and switched the cable to the new antenna. According to my TiVo signal strength meter, I am getting 1-3% better signal level on every channel, Where I had 94% before, I have 96% etc. I am happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page