How to convert RF to HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have seen this question asked quite a few times but not regarding my specific situation. Without buying a scaler, can anyone help me?

I am trying to go OTA and purchasing a Winegard antenna that can receive HD signals. The issue I currently have is that my LCD is hung over my fireplace and I have an HDMI cable that goes from the back of the TV, up the wall and then to an outlet behind my component stand.

At this time, I have the coax plugging into mny comcast digital HD box and then plug an HDMI cable into the output of the cable box and into the wall outlet. Pretty simple setup.

But now that I want to give up cable and tell Comcast to take a hike, how can i convert the coax signal to HDMI?

Do they make a consumer version converter?

Do I need to find a used Digital HD box on eBay?

Do they make an AV receiver that can take coax in and output HDMI?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteryx View Post

So I have seen this question asked quite a few times but not regarding my specific situation. Without buying a scaler, can anyone help me?

I am trying to go OTA and purchasing a Winegard antenna that can receive HD signals. The issue I currently have is that my LCD is hung over my fireplace and I have an HDMI cable that goes from the back of the TV, up the wall and then to an outlet behind my component stand.

At this time, I have the coax plugging into mny comcast digital HD box and then plug an HDMI cable into the output of the cable box and into the wall outlet. Pretty simple setup.

But now that I want to give up cable and tell Comcast to take a hike, how can i convert the coax signal to HDMI?

Do they make a consumer version converter?

Thanks for any help!

You simply need an ATSC tuner that has a HDMI output. Does not matter that your TV has an ATSC tuner in it.

You cannot send RF down an HDMI cable. It wasnt designed for that.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why don't you just run the coax cable from the antenna to the coaxial antenna connector on your TV??

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

how can i convert the coax signal to HDMI?

If your TV has an antenna input and a digital (ATSC) tuner, just run the antenna cable to the TV.

If your TV doesn't have a digital tuner (i.e. it's an "HD-Ready" TV), or you don't want to run another cable up the wall, then you have to get an external HDTV tuner and use the HDMI cable to connect it to the TV.

Quote:

That's one possibility. You can also find the Samsung DTB-H260F at places like Best Buy and Circuit City. Unless you're really hard up for money, I'd go for the Samsung because it's a better tuner (more sensitive and rejects multipath interference better) than older-generation used ones. You can probably find the Samsung on eBay also.

Quote:

I've never heard of one. It would seem to be a natural thing to do, because receivers by definition include FM/AM radio tuners already, but it just isn't done. Maybe it's because few people use OTA TV in the USA nowadays (especially among people who have enough money to buy an expensive A/V receiver), and/or it would add too much to the cost of a receiver.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The issue I currently have is that my LCD is hung over my fireplace and I have an HDMI cable that goes from the back of the TV, up the wall and then to an outlet behind my component stand.

Is his problem REALLY that hard to understand?

He or his builder/installer skimped when installing wiring behind the wall and now he is paying the price. Its why I say run more wiring than you ever think you will need.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

He or his builder/installer skimped when installing wiring behind the wall and now he is paying the price.

I would think its cheaper/simpler to open the wall, install a couple more boxes and run additional cables and patch the wall than to be looking for 'exotic' ATSC-to-HDMI devices.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #7 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

I would think its cheaper/simpler to open the wall, install a couple more boxes and run additional cables and patch the wall than to be looking for 'exotic' ATSC-to-HDMI devices.

The quality of this ATSC receiver is not known, but at $60 it's a lot cheaper than any remodeling.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858602
post #8 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll take a wild stab that you arent a CSI, given the way you follow clues:

Quote:

The issue I currently have is that my LCD is hung over my fireplace and I have an HDMI cable that goes from the back of the TV, up the wall and then to an outlet behind my component stand.

If you were talking about a simple wall, you may or may not be correct. Is the wall simple sheetrock or is it plaster? Is it wood? If sheetrock is it painted one color or does it have a design on it? Does it have wallpaper on it? Does it have some type of cloth on it? There are all kinds of possibilities that go into that equation.

Furthermore, he said FIREPLACE. How many fireplaces do you know of with without some type of fire resistance enclosure and/or mantle over them which could cause an issue with "simply opening up the wall"?

And who knows what kind of fire retardation and or subframe structure for the fireplace and its integrity is behind the wall?

There are a number of factors to why just "opening up the wall" is probably not a viable solution.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since when did an ATSC tuner with HDMI output become exotic?

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

Since when did an ATSC tuner with HDMI output become exotic?

Well ... I did put 'exotic' in quotes ... but the fact is I've never seen one and they are generally not sold here.

IAC, y'all make much too much ado about running a simple cable through a wall.

It's a trivial exercise a could be done easily/quickly. It matters little what the finish on the wall is ... have you never pulled a wire through a 1/4" hole?!?

You guys ought to work for your Pentagon ... you obviously understand how to justify $500 hammers.

" - MLK

post #11 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 282
IMHO... one shouldn't put a TV over the fireplace.
That's another discussion..........

Secondly... no one even knows how successful OTA reception will be after the antenna installation.

Test first... then decide whether to go re-wiring and/or cancelling Comcast cable. Don't assume that adding a Winegard antenna for OTA will produce "free miracles".
post #12 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Seems as though I might have left out a few items.
The TV is hung over a fireplace (that is non working).

There is sheetrock above the fireplace which is where it sets
Here is a link:

All of the cords go up the wall, into the upstairs closet, then back down into the main floor wall near the AV component tower where the wall plates are with the connections.

I have seen several newer Marantz & Denon receivers that do have a coax input and HDMI output for video, I just don't know if it can loop that signal or transform it. I am not educated on that topic.

As far as not running enough wire goes, I had S-Video and a single RCA at one point in the wall, and had someone come out and pull those and just add (2) HDMI cords (1 for the DVD player and one for Cable). Now I find myself in the same predicament and would rather not pay the $$ to have coax added. I cannot add any more wires to the run I currently have in the walls. They currently travel through (2) 2x4's along the route to the 2nd floor and then back down ot the fireplace.

Thus the other issue. I need to run this through my speakers. I was really hoping to be able to do something with the coax signal that would allow me to output the audio to the input of the receiver, and then split the video signal to HDMI. I guess in the end, all I need is a cable box because that is exactly what it does.

If anyone can suggest the best type of box to search for, that would be helpful. Might just look into the Centronics ZAT501
post #13 of 17 Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, I'll stand by my statements about not preparing in the past.

At bare minimum run TWICE as many RG6 cables as you think you might need through every connection as well as atleast 2 CAT6 cables.

One should really think about putting PVC in between connections so that you can pull any type of new connector or wiring that you might want in the future.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well ... I did put 'exotic' in quotes ... but the fact is I've never seen one and they are generally not sold here.

IAC, y'all make much too much ado about running a simple cable through a wall.

It's a trivial exercise a could be done easily/quickly. It matters little what the finish on the wall is ... have you never pulled a wire through a 1/4" hole?!?

You guys ought to work for your Pentagon ... you obviously understand how to justify $500 hammers.

Fact is they are readily available and would be easier then tearing up the wall in that picture there. It's not simple when you gotta start drilling through joists to get around the fireplace. The added fact he needs to feed audio to an AV receivers would add the need for audio from the TV back to the AV receiver vs just using an STB also.

Personally I've run plenty of cable in my house, also don't have a TV in a place like that though.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Your easiest solution is to get an ATSC tuner like the Samsung DTB-H260F. It has your required HDMI output (no cutting the wall or running new cables) , it also has both analog and TOSLINK audio outputs for your A/V receiver. You should be able to find one at Circuit City / Best Buy or online (if you buy online, make sure it includes the required remote).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #16 of 17 Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Any insight on the Centronics ZAT501?
post #17 of 17 Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member