Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Where did you come up with that? The non-subscription boxes from Wal-Mart originally went for $300.00.

Yep. And I heard through the grapevine that the production cost to USDTV was around $115 per unit from Hisense. So, I don't think $45 is that bad for these boxes. I still use my everyday. They do have an older (less sensitive)tuner and do not handle multipath as well. However, they do have excellent picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Hi I have a USDTV 2.7.15 unit. I'm a windows person, as I understand it, the only way to get to FTA is via a LINUX formatted and loaded USB Drive.
Right?
Anyone out there that's been down this road that has such a stick that I could borrow??

Thanks!

-Tom
post #63 of 77 Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM

OK, figured out that DD file was for use in windows. Got the USB drive set up. WHen I plug in the Hisense Unit, the Yellow logo comes up on the screen, it accesses the USB drive for a few seconds, the screen goes black, then it continues to boot normally and nothing changes. Duh.

It's a 128MB thumb drive- too big?

Anyone with a working setup? Can I borrow your drive?

Thanks!

-Tom
post #64 of 77 Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 PM

OK- I saw where someone had success using a small SD card and a USB card reader.

Used DD to put the image on a 32MB SD card in a reader. Tried that- SUCCESS!
post #65 of 77 Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcComb View Post

OK- I saw where someone had success using a small SD card and a USB card reader.

Used DD to put the image on a 32MB SD card in a reader. Tried that- SUCCESS!

Great. Glad you got it to work. You were too fast for me to respond. Yes, the 128MB stick has trouble. This is due to the linux kernel that is being used on the box. It can't recognize and mount it **depending on the brand**!

I have some cheap 128 sticks that work and some that don't. I read somewhere on the SanDisk site about an incompatibility with linux.

I have also read that if you just pull the USB stick out of a computer without "safely ejecting" it, it can damage the stick (I have no idea if this is actually true, but I did read that on the SanDisk site).
post #66 of 77 Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM

dogleg69, I remember reading that you had considered modifying this system to be a PVR. Have you done anything like this yet or considered it. I just got this system a few months ago and think it is pretty good but would love a PVR option for it. Is there anything I can currently do to make it a PVR? Thanks for your time.

Magnum
post #67 of 77 Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_lp View Post

dogleg69, I remember reading that you had considered modifying this system to be a PVR. Have you done anything like this yet or considered it. I just got this system a few months ago and think it is pretty good but would love a PVR option for it. Is there anything I can currently do to make it a PVR? Thanks for your time.

Magnum

The main issue is streaming HD to a storage device over the USB 1.1 port. Writing data out thru the USB port on this box is not an issue. However, I since it is a USB 1.1 device its limits the bandwidth to 12Mbps. I think that most MPEG2 High Def require around 19.4Mbps.
post #68 of 77 Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Is there anyway to update the USB port. I have not opened up my receiver but I'm guessing it's not like a cpu where you can replace the hardware. Are there any other alternatives to making it a pvr at all? Thanks.

Magnum
post #69 of 77 Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

I would like to thank dogleg69 for providing the FTA software update. I had the USDTV subscription db2010 digital tuner boxed up in my storage for several years. I found this thread and learned that the software can be updated to FTA. After downloading the fromService293 image and putting it on a 64MB USB memory stick I successfully converted the box to FTA. The tuner is now working perfectly. Thanks for the great work!
post #70 of 77 Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTom View Post

I would like to thank dogleg69 for providing the FTA software update. I had the USDTV subscription db2010 digital tuner boxed up in my storage for several years. I found this thread and learned that the software can be updated to FTA. After downloading the fromService293 image and putting it on a 64MB USB memory stick I successfully converted the box to FTA. The tuner is now working perfectly. Thanks for the great work!

Thanks for the note. I appreciate the acknowledgement.

Did you upgrade just to 2.9.3 or to 2.9.5? I mention it because there are a number of fixes and the addition of timer in the 2.9.4 & 2.9.5 versions.
post #71 of 77 Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Where did you come up with that? The non-subscription boxes from Wal-Mart originally went for $300.00.

I paid $199 for mine from Wal mart. There were never any USDTV stations here in the NY area, and at some point found out though this forum that they had an update for FTA. I wrote the company (when they were still intact) and was sent a thumb drive. I updated the box and sent back the drive (who knew the software would one day be valuable ?) and the update was great.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #72 of 77 Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, I do recall that some Wal-Marts did knock the price down some right at the end, but many did not. Mine never did.
post #73 of 77 Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I still have the receipt from Wal-Mart tucked inside the manual for my USDTV box. $198.76 on 8/8/05. I don't remember now whether that was a reduced price.
post #74 of 77 Old 08-02-2009, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Now you guys have got me wondering. Maybe they actually were originally $200.00, and not $300.00.

I could swear they were $300.00, though. I just remember for sure that when they were clearing them out, they dropped them $100.00 some places - but not here.

I was waiting for them to go down in price, because I bought one, and just thought it was way too overpriced at the time (I just wanted to see what I could get with it - it was the first ATSC tuner I ever tried. I remember being more impressed with the picture quality than anything else. I had tried a couple of them, and they both had that "audio dropout/lock-up" problem still).

When people started reporting the clearance price, I kept checking here, but it never changed, and then one day 2 out of the 3 boxes that had been sitting here for over a year just disappeared - and then about a week later the second one did. But the price never did go down here.

My posts from that time are chronicled here - probably in the archives somewhere.
post #75 of 77 Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

Thanks for the note. I appreciate the acknowledgement.

Did you upgrade just to 2.9.3 or to 2.9.5? I mention it because there are a number of fixes and the addition of timer in the 2.9.4 & 2.9.5 versions.

I left it on 2.9.3 for a while, but today I have installed the 2.9.5 version (using the .bin file on the FAT32 partition USB memory stick). It worked without a problem. Thanks for all your work!
post #76 of 77 Old 08-29-2009, 01:32 PM

does it work with unecrytpred QAM?
post #77 of 77 Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No, it receives only ATSC (8VSB) over-the-air signals that you pick up with an antenna.

See the Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis for HDTV receivers that can receive unencrypted QAM.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page