DirecTV Customer Retention Dept. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-08-2002, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Kudos to the poster somewhere in this forum that mentioned the DirecTV "Customer Retention" department. Great advice for exisiting customers looking to upgrade to HiDef...

Just got off the phone with a wonderful person in that department and as a result I will be getting the oval dish for no charge, not even shipping, free professional instalation, dish pointing etc...Just call the main number and ask for "Customer Retention" department.

Oh and I didn't have to order Para Todos. All they asked is that I commit to my Total Choice package for a year, which I'd have done anyway. This is apparently something they just started.

She also told me that when the DirecTV/Dish Network merger goes through I will not have to change or upgrade my equipment because they are sticking with the DirecTV dishes and receivers. Good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-08-2002, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The left hand apparently doesn't know what the right hand is doing at DirecTV. An hour ago I spoke to two different people there, and both said there were no offers for this; suggested I go to Radio Shack, buy the hardware and pay for an installer. Guess I'll now try 'Customer Retention.'
post #3 of 11 Old 01-08-2002, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Did u get the $150 credit for going with HDTV??
post #4 of 11 Old 01-08-2002, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Moved to Brooklyn, had oval at old location..
Did the movers program - specifically asked for oval dish.. They sent me a round one my mistake, called movers program and they said NP, picked up my round dish and shipped the oval one..
No charges, just $15 for shipping and that is all..
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2002, 11:01 PM

A representative named Sylvia in the DirecTV Customer Retention department offered me the following upgrade offer:

Oval dish for a $12.95 shipping charge.
No charge for installation.
A $75 credit plus an additional $30 "programming" credit to offset the cost of a new HDTV/DSS receiver. Total credit $105.
No programming commitment, only a requirement to activate the receiver within 30 days.

When I mentioned a $150 credit that another poster had mentioned, Sylvia said that credit was not available together with the "free" oval dish offer. I told her that I was upgrading to HDTV and was considering switching to Dish Network. She noted that I had been a subscriber for 5 years and that is when she made the offer. The original offer was for a $75 receiver credit. When I accepted that offer, she "discovered" the additional $30 "programming" credit.

I thank the posters on the message board for alerting me to this offer and to the use of the customer retention department.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2002, 11:45 PM

I know the DTV/DISH merger was announced in October and probably won't happen until sumer/fall (??)...has the equipment standard been finalized? The DirecTV website says "it could take years to replace all the equipment", so I don't want to choose wrong here. What are the opinions on which to go with right now. Which is the better deal and long term choice with the merger??

I presently have RCN cable in Chicago but fear that HDTV is not possible with RCN. They do have broadband internet--but they tell me the cable feed is NOT digital and their customer service seems "uncertain" whether HDTV is possible thru their system/feed.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-14-2002, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

For those of you who picked up the oval dish, did you get a multiswitch too? If so what kind. 5x4? 4x4?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2002, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuSuss

I thank the posters on the message board for alerting me to this offer and to the use of the customer retention department.
You're welcome! It is amazing that these offers seem to change from day to day, and depend on whom you talk to. For future reference, anyone trying this should ask for the SAT-C LNB as well, since there seems to be a lot of evidence that they will be moving HD to the 110 bird. Since the people are so clueless on the other end of the phone, they will probably have no idea what you are talking about, but it would be interesting to see what they say.

Mike
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2002, 11:41 PM

I'm having Direst tv installed on Sat. I was planning on buying a hd receiver to go along with my direct tivo receiver but am wondering if you think there is a way I might be able to qualify for the hd receiver credit even though I'm a new customer?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by guneed12
I know the DTV/DISH merger was announced in October and probably won't happen until sumer/fall (??)...has the equipment standard been finalized? The DirecTV website says "it could take years to replace all the equipment", so I don't want to choose wrong here. What are the opinions on which to go with right now. Which is the better deal and long term choice with the merger??

Read the last paragraph on the first post.:D
post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djturner
I'm having Direst tv installed on Sat. I was planning on buying a hd receiver to go along with my direct tivo receiver but am wondering if you think there is a way I might be able to qualify for the hd receiver credit even though I'm a new customer?
I had a buddy call and ask this since he had just bought a Sony HDTV and was ready to start recieving HD broadcasts. He told them Comcast was offering a free box but would prefer all digital channels. However with the box so expensive for Direct TV was there anything they could do to make DTV more attractive. She told him he should go with Comcast there was nothing she could offer. So he did! They charged him 9.95 to install it and gave him six months of HBO free.

Gary
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page