Questions on Video Settings on Motorolla DCH3200 Box... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Questions on Video Settings on Motorolla DCH3200 Box...

I've had a newwer Samsung Flat Screen TV for almost a year now and I've never been real happy with the video... My complaints about the video are, the Blacks never look dark enough and sometimes it looks a bit splotchy or blocky in the backgrounds...

Its not a horrible picture, but it just isin't as nice as I had expected....

To be fair, I have to add that I am only looking at SD video via Charter Cable and DVDs, via a Samsung DVD Player (non-Blueray)...

So, after whining about my video for awhile I decided to take the plunge and try out Charter HD Service and see how much better my video can look...

I went by my local office and picked up a Moto DCH3200...

Decent looking box with all the outputs I think need compared to that little one I had that looks like a cable modem and only has Composite(RCA) video out, not even Svideo...

I hook up an HDMI cable from the output of the DCH32200 to HDMI1 on my TV and I get video and Audio, Sweet... I call customer service and have them provision it, send a hit, re-boot it and we off and running...

I get all the channels I'm supposed to get however, they are not looking quit as good as I think they should and when I look at an SD channels and some of the HD channels there is a 2-3 inch verticle bar on either side of the screen from top to bottom...

Looking at the cable box, the indicater tells me that the format is set to 720p... OK, I do a quick google search and I find out how to get into a diganostic menu (with the TV on power off cable box, hit menu button on cable box and you should get a diagnostic type screen with a few settings you can change) and I changed the YPbPr setting to 1080i...

Then powered the cable box back on... This changed the indicater on the cable box to 1080i.

Scroll though the channels, a bunch of the HD channels look better, but several channels HD and SD still have the verticle bars on each side of the screen...

My old SD only cable box and my non-Blueray player fill the whole screen, so I'm thinking this is a setting that needs tweaked on the cable box, not the tv???

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is likely that the programming at that time was not in HD.
You can probably stretch the picture using thre TV control, but don't forget to put it back for the actual HD programming.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page