Dish Network and outdoor antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question is from a husband and wife that are definitely not technical savvy. We have put up an outdoor antenna & we're wondering how to hook it up. We have been told that there is probably a place on the satellite to hook it into but from the ground we're unable to see it. If this doesn't work we have been told to use a splitter. However, if we have to go with the splitter we're not sure where to put that at. Looking at the satellite there are 2 coax cables coming out of it. Each cable has an end that we could hook the splitter to, but which one? All help is GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 AM

We need more information in order to help. What satellite dish are you using, i.e., Dish 500, 1000.2 etc? How many satellite receivers and what models? Is your antenna amplified? If you are using a Dish switch, which model?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post

We need more information in order to help. What satellite dish are you using, i.e., Dish 500, 1000.2 etc? How many satellite receivers and what models? Is your antenna amplified? If you are using a Dish switch, which model?

I don't know what dish it is. How do you find out? We have 2 receivers the main one is a ViP722 DVR-HD, the other one is a 322. As far as I know, the antenna is not amplified, it is a Channel Master 3020.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Based on the receivers you have, you most likely have a 1000.2 dish.

Are you trying to run the antenna signal in on the same cable as the sat?
If so, that's beyond me as you will have to diplex the signal in outside and then undo it at the 722.

If you are just trying to hook up the antenna to the 722 so you can use the built in digital tuner and be able to record 3 things at once, then you just need to run the antenna cable to the 722 and hook it up to the appropriately labeled input on the back of the 722.

I'm pretty sure the 322 doesn't have the ability to use the antenna, so no need to make a run to it.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 AM

Girdnerg is correct. The simplest way to make the connection to the antenna is to run coax cable from the antenna to the satellite receivers. If you try to use the satellite cables, you have to use a diplexer on each end. Splitters will not work. Your 722 has two satellite inputs, one for each tuner. There are either two cables going into the receiver or a single cable connected with a Dish seperator. I'm not sure how to use diplexers with that setup. You can ask that question in the Dish 722 forum at dbstalk.com.

If you use the direct antenna connection method, you can use high bandwidth splitters to send the ota signal to more than one tv/receiver. You can also split the signal to send it to a receiver and directly to an HD tv. I do it that way because I can record one ota channel on the DVR and watch a different channel on the tv. Your 722 only has one ota tuner. I've also had problems trying to watch an ota channel through the receiver when we lose satellite signal because of a storm. The ota tuner in your tv may be better than the one in the 722 allowing you to receive more channels. The Vip series receivers do not tune ota as well as the 811s did.

Be aware that if you want the channel guide on the satellite receivers to display program information, Dish requires you to pay for locals. The technology exists to display the information without a locals subscription, but they make you pay.

Compared to analog, Hd ota signals can be finicky. Every time you use a splitter there is some signal loss that can affect the tv or receiver's ability to tune a particular channel. Use good coax cable and splitters. I use RG6 quad shield and a powered cable/ota signal amplifer/splitter connected to the coax after it enters the house.

Good luck and be patient setting this up. It can be frustrating.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k79miller View Post

This question is from a husband and wife that are definitely not technical savvy. We have put up an outdoor antenna & we're wondering how to hook it up. We have been told that there is probably a place on the satellite to hook it into but from the ground we're unable to see it. If this doesn't work we have been told to use a splitter. However, if we have to go with the splitter we're not sure where to put that at. Looking at the satellite there are 2 coax cables coming out of it. Each cable has an end that we could hook the splitter to, but which one? All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Address ? After we have that we can give you a better recommendation on how to aim the antenna and what channels you can expect to receive.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 7 Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

I'm pretty sure the 322 doesn't have the ability to use the antenna, so no need to make a run to it.

No, the 322 doesn't have any OTA tuner, but if he wants to watch from the antenna on that TV using another tuner, he still might want to run an antenna line there.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page