Best ATSC tuner w/component video? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have two analog TV's each with a component video input. All CECB, I have looked at, do not have component video out. By now my CECB coupons have long expired and I am without a suitable DTV converter box. I want a DTV converter box with a component video output. I do not care about the TV converter box coupon program; I am willing to pay more for a box that meets my needs. I know Samsung makes the DTB-260F HDTV converter box and there are several DVD recorder boxes with built in digital tuners. It seems there are options. My first priority (other then component video) is the digital tuner performance, second the ability to add in new DTV channels after an initial scan. I have a rotating antenna and receive broadcasters from multiple markets and need to add all channels from each market. Third priority, a useful program guide with a complete verbal description. I know some broadcasters include a guide with their broadcast signal. Others may use TV-Guide info from an analog PBS station. I prefer to use the ATSC embedded guide method. Lastly is the DVD recorder feature. If the ATSC tuner capability were equal to the very best ATSC tuner performance it would be nice to have the DVD recorder capability also.
Question:
What DTV converter box provides the very best ATSC tuner and a component video output for at least 480i?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
systems2000 is correct and AFA DVDRs none will be HD. They'll all tune a HD station but they then downconvert the signal to 480i, then most upconvert it back to HD. Again they might have component outputs but their all SD at heart and AFAIK none have the program description you're wanting although some might for just the current program being displayed.
Your best bet other than the Sammy 260 might be a CM-7000 CECB with S-video output, although I don't know if it allows channels to be manually added otherwise I think it does all you asked for.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Old 10-26-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
About the closest I can think of to what you're asking is probably pairing a CM7000 with a Panasonic EA-18 DVD recorder, which uses an IR blaster to change the channels on the tuner.

That way you'll get good performance, good PQ, a good guide and DVD recording. It will also convert the s-video to component nicely.

You can't manually add single channels with the CM, but you can re-scan in each direction without losing any of the formerly programmed channels. Basically just as good, and it sounds like that's all you're really asking for.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspk8 View Post

try this AVerTV Hybrid TVBox 11
http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/...il.aspx?Id=470

For some users it may be fine, but it does not have digital audio output; e.g. no DD. Also only DVI & RGBHV; no HDMI or component video out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Component Video outputs are banned from CECB's, which this forum discusses. You'll need to go to the HDTV forum to get the information you're looking for.

This forum seems the best fit to answer my question. My TV's are analog NTSC only and are not capable of HDTV resolutions; but they each have a component video input. I do not believe my original question would be appropriate for an HDTV forum. The question however, does relate to the digital transition since I need an ATSC converter box to continue to receive TV after the analog cutoff date of Feb 17 2009. Like I said in my prior post, I am willing to pay for an ATSC converter box with a component video output. I am not looking for an HDTV converter box per-se. There is no doubt that component video does look superior than composite or S video on a 480i TV.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virges View Post

This forum seems the best fit to answer my question. My TV’s are analog NTSC only and are not capable of HDTV resolutions; but they each have a component video input. I do not believe my original question would be appropriate for an HDTV forum. The question however, does relate to the digital transition since I need an ATSC converter box to continue to receive TV after the analog cutoff date of Feb 17 2009. Like I said in my prior post, I am willing to pay for an ATSC converter box with a component video output. I am not looking for an HDTV converter box per-se. There is no doubt that component video does look superior than composite or “S” video on a 480i TV.

The only Digital TV (ATSC) tuners with component video are the HD units. They can be set to 480i, in addition to HD output.

Topic moved to HDTV Technical.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Samsung is not the best choice for a 4:3 analog CRT, unless the TV has a zoom mode of it's own - otherwise you'll be watching "postage stamped" pictures of 4:3 material that's being shown on an HD channel.

The aspect modes on the Samsung box in that case will only give you whacked out of proportion aspects - the only way to keep things looking "normal" is to keep it postage stamped, which will make the picture much smaller on your screen (unless unnaturally "tall & skinny" people is your thing).

It's really not designed to be used on older 4:3 analog sets at all. And it pales in comparison to the better of the newer CECB's as far as sensitivity.

The CM-7000 running through my Panny DVD recorder being "converted" from s-video to component looks just as good as the Samsung does on my 480i 32" CRT. And it's much more sensitive.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What Rammit said. The CM-7000 is probably your best choice.

A box with the features you want, at least in something that works correctly, doesn't exist. The Samsung is the closest thing, and it doesn't scale images correctly to fill a 4:3 screen.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM

If you have component, do you have S-video input to your TV? Look carefully as it could be hidden in the back somewhere.

If so, as others have said the CM-7000 is the best box out there currently.

I have both the Samsung DTBH260F and the CM-7000. As for picture quality, obviously the Sammy is a HD box and is better using component cables on a HDTV, but the CM-7000's reception is better for OTA reception and comes close to a DVD quality picture with an S-video cable.

As for pricing the Sammy can be found for $100-$170 (Besides the HD capability a lot of people use this for its QAM tuning capability for Cable use)
The CM-7000 can be found for $20-$70

If you do not have S-video input to your TV then do as Rammitinski said above or maybe there are cables that can convert s-video to component??
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Boxes that will convert S-Video / composite to component are "pricey".

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You could also just use a DVD recorder such as a Panasonic EZ-28, which will give you most of everything you want all built into one unit, and which also has excellent picture quality, but the CM is really better all-around as a tuner, and it has the type of guide you're looking for. (The EA-18 I mentioned above is a cheaper, tunerless model).

That's really about the closest you'll come to getting everything you want. Many us here are using the CM (or other CECB's) with our older HDD/DVD recorders, and it works out very well (as long as the recorder has an IR blaster, and the code which will control the tuner, that is).

The Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders that are available in the US right now don't cost all that much more than the EZ-28, but the PQ from their digital tuners doesn't quite measure up to the Panny's, or the CM box, and there is no guide. Still, it is nice to have the 160GB hard drive if you do a lot of time-shifting. If you're at all interested, there's plenty of info on those (and the Pannies) over in the DVD Recorders forum.

All the recorders I've listed have component output.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand1 View Post

If you have component, do you have S-video input to your TV? Look carefully as it could be hidden in the back somewhere.

If so, as others have said the CM-7000 is the best box out there currently.

I have both the Samsung DTBH260F and the CM-7000. As for picture quality, obviously the Sammy is a HD box and is better using component cables on a HDTV, but the CM-7000's reception is better for OTA reception and comes close to a DVD quality picture with an S-video cable.

As for pricing the Sammy can be found for $100-$170 (Besides the HD capability a lot of people use this for its QAM tuning capability for Cable use)
The CM-7000 can be found for $20-$70

If you do not have S-video input to your TV then do as Rammitinski said above or maybe there are cables that can convert s-video to component??

Thank you for the information. Yes there is an "S" video input on both of my JVC NTSC analog TV's. My goal however is to use the component video input. I almost purchased the Samsung DTBH260F for its 5th generation ATSC tuner chip and for the positive article by Peter Putman hthdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f. Unfortunately, the DTBH260F does not support 480i component video and my TV's do not support 480p and higher. I was looking at the LG 787T recorder. It does support 480i component video, but I have no ATSC tuner performance information. I wrote LG and am waiting for a reply. I did try a Zenith DTT900 DTV box, borrowed from a neighbor, and was very impressed with the ATSC tuner performance. I could receive TV channels form multiple directions without adjusting the antenna azimuth. There were some analog channels that had severe ghosting yet were crystal clear when I switched to the digital mode; for example channel 28 digital and channel 29 analog transmitted from the same location and tower height. At the time even some distant digital channels could be received; even beyond 100 miles. Unfortunately, the DTT900 does not provide a component video output. Still looking for a viable solution, although it may take a while.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... I was looking at the LG 787T recorder. It does support 480i component video, but I have no ATSC tuner performance information. I wrote LG and am waiting for a reply. I did try a Zenith DTT900 DTV box, borrowed from a neighbor, and was very impressed with the ATSC tuner performance.

The LG 787T should have a tuner chipset comparable to the LG chipset in the LG/Zenith set top box you borrowed.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was looking at the LG 787T recorder. It does support 480i component video, but I have no ATSC tuner performance information. I wrote LG and am waiting for a reply. I did try a Zenith DTT900 DTV box, borrowed from a neighbor, and was very impressed with the ATSC tuner performance.

Historically, LG is noted for having the best DTV tuner performance.

Zenith originally developed the DTV tuner standard, as their part of the ATSC Grand Alliance. In 1995 LG purchased a majority interest in Zenith, and in 1999, Zenith became a wholly owned subsidiary of LG.

The DTT900 is among the best DTV tuners available at this time. Depending on when the LG 787T was introduced, it should also be in this category.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I was looking at the LG 787T recorder. It does support 480i component video, but I have no ATSC tuner performance information. .

I have several of the DR787T's and the RC797T's as well, and a friend in LG engineering.
These both use the 6th gen chipset. Excellent tuners,great user interface,average DVD performance.

Suggest you search for both model numbers on ebay.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
I had an LG DR787T for a year. It went back to LG for repair three times. They finally bought it back from me. The only thing I can recommend about this box is the tuner. It was the one (and only) thing that did work well on this unit.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes - I'd be careful on the LG recorders. You need to read the DVD Recorders forum here closely.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yes - I'd be careful on the LG recorders. You need to read the DVD Recorders forum here closely.

This could have been a great recorder but something must have gone bad in the making of the lasers; its been one horror story after another... its why you see so many on ebay, maybe they work maybe they don't.... also add to the fact that you cant record from HBO's and the like due to macrovision crapness installed on the ... I gave mine away for this reason....
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

. its why you see so many on ebay, maybe they work maybe they don't.... ....

Yep.. and especially for the price I have gotten some of them for..they are excellent as tuners only, which what the OP was looking for.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!