Questions for Sampo SME-34WHD5 owners - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-15-2002, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I've had my Sampo for about six months now, and I'm certainly happy with it. However, I've been experiencing a few troublesome issues I'd like to ask other SME-34WHD5 owners about:

- First, the progressive component in is basically unusable. Even after turning the brightness down to 1, the picture is ridiculously blown-out. Even worse, after taking sharpness down to 1, it still appears as if it's set at max. The difference between the component and RGB inputs is night and day -- shouldn't they be roughly equivalent?

- PAL DVDs played through the Skyworth 1050P exhibit very visible (and very annoying) flicker in bright areas -- is this normal on the Sampo, or could it be my Skyworth?

- The extreme left and right of the screen show visible vertical banding -- are other people seeing this?

- This is minor, since I'm eventually going to have to have this thing ISFed, but was your convergence way off when you received your set? Mine certainly seems to be...

I guess that's it. Many thanks to whomever may respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2002, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was dying to see the sampo at the CES, for which I had to make an 'appointment' to do so.

The SME-34WHD5 is being replaced by the 34WHD6 for 2002 which is due out this summer. The rep claims that it will retail for the same as last year's but has a few nice new features.

The 2002 model has TWO HD component inputs (720p or 1080i) and VGA (db15) for 1280 x 720p max. The remote has had a major facelift with multi (individual) input buttons (instead of having to scroll) and more adjustment capability as well.

The resolution and picture remain the same.

The big change for 2002 will be an inboard line doubler for 480i / NTSC signals and apparantly they have straightened out the convergence problem.

As for your vertical bars, not sure. Call 626-856-3348 and ask.

As for me, I'm planning on having the new one in the bedroom if possible. I might loose my girlfriend to the thirty-four-incher, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page