New Directv Install - Botched - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Decided to take the big step and replace my comcast cable tv with Directv. Installer hooked up 3 H23's and 2 HR22's. H23's work fine. My problem is that the HR22's will not recieve HD (searching 771 message) programing or allow me to watch one program while recording another.

After numerous calls to Directv and the installer/service provider (Directech-North Houston area,who won't return calls) I think I have determined the problem. The service order called for a SWM to be installed so that I could use my existing cable wires (one to each reciever) but after looking at the install I can tell that I do not have a SWM (four wires coming from sat down to my On Que distribution box and from there the wires go into a zinwell multiswitch and then out to the recievers).

Service provider (the one and only time they actually called me back)says that I need to order B-band converters for the H22's from Directv. Directv says that I should have SWM so I don't need the B-band converters. My question is should I hold out and continue trying to get the installer to come back and install the SWM or should I order the B-band converters. Will the B-band converters solve my problems with the HD reception and the ability to record and watch at the same time. Remember I have just one cable wire coming out of my wall to each of the H22's since I'm replacing a comcast system. So B-band converters or SWM?

Other option is to have Directv refund and go back to cable tv. Please help if you can. I'm a noob as far as satelitte systems go but I'm learning.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You need an SWM capable LNB on the dish and the Zinwell WB68 needs to be removed or two cables ran to each of the DVR's to be able to record two programs at once.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

So it sounds to me like I should hold out for the SWM capable LNB and dump the Zinwell. This would be the best option since it does not require additional lines to be run. Is that corrrect?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that would be your best bet if you can get the installer and/or Directv to respond to you. If you're getting no where, call and say cancel twice into the VRU to get to customer retention and voice your concerns with them.

You basically need them to replace the LNB with one of these - http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=SL5-SWM and the WB68 replaced with the proper 1 x 8 splitter and a power supply installed on one of the feeds coming into the house.

Matt
post #5 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Matt.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You can order the converters on their website. They are free and they ship fast. At least you can use the receivers while you're waiting for a resolution. You will need 4.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

You can order the converters on their website. They are free and they ship fast. At least you can use the receivers while you're waiting for a resolution. You will need 4.

OK - now this is confusing. I thought that I did not need the converters. Just the SL5-SWM and the W68 replaced with the proper splitter and the power suppy to one of the feeds as Matt stated.

Remember, I have only one coax to each reciever.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

He was suggesting that as a work around til you got the SWM LNB installed so the two HR23's would at least be functional with one tuner.

Matt
post #9 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

He was suggesting that as a work around til you got the SWM LNB installed so the two HR23's would at least be functional with one tuner.

I was wondering if that was the case, but why do I need 4?
post #10 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Because the poster probably didn't read you're whole original post to see you only had one line coming to each DVR, they each require two BBC's when running two lines to them.

Matt
post #11 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Fact is the installer should have never marked the install as complete with only 1 line to a DVR without a SWM. Call Directv and explain what was done and what they are showing is incorrect - you need it to be serviced properly or you are cancelling (remember you only have 3 days I believe???).

Not making any excuses, as there are none, but considering the slam Houston took from Ike, I am sure a lot of equipment is in short supply and installers/repairs are slammed.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

Because the poster probably didn't read you're whole original post to see you only had one line coming to each DVR, they each require two BBC's when running two lines to them.

I did miss that. Sorry.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well we'll see what happens. The installer is coming out this afternoon (supposedly) to fix the install. I know that they are aware of the missing SWM but I can forsee a situation where they forget to bring one, "weren't aware that I needed one" or "don't have one in stock" or just bring out B-band converters. I just don't have a lot of faith in these guys.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

No show on service call yesterday. Finally got hold of on of their site managers today and he sounded like he knew what was going on and promised to get someone out today to install SWM. It's 2:30pm here and so far no show. I'm not holding my breath but at least he gave me his cell number or should I say he gave me a cell number (have not tried to call it yet).

I do appreciate all the comments and help you fellows have provided.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Fixed!
Installer came yesterday and installed SWM LNB. H22's fully functional.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page