Device to remove HDCP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a device which has HDMI in, HDMI out and can get rid of HDCP. I have a Motorola Satellite receiver connected to a Pioneer VSX 92 receiver. The Satellite receiver was working fine with the Pioneer receiver until a new update was sent down and now I get a black screen that says HDMI splitter found.

I called the Satellite provider and the solution is connecting the Satellite receiver directly to the TV or use component cables to the Pioneer VSX 92 receiver. I don't have the option to connect the satellite receiver directly to the TV as I have only one HDMI port on the TV and have three HDMI components. I don't want to use component cables as if find the picture is not as good as HDMI.

Is there a device out there that can remove HDCP so I can use my Satellite with my Pioneer VSX 92 receiver?

Nytech AV - www.nytech.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Discussion of the removal of HDCP is illegal in the US thanks to the DMCA. You're not going to be able to find your answer here.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Is the problem with Pioneer AV receiver or Motorola satellite receiver? I know the satellite receiver is putting out the error and sees the AV receiver as a splitter. Does pioneer need to make HDCP compliant firmware update or does the satellite receiver need a update to work with the AV receiver?

If it is the Pioneer AV receiver that will not do DHCP compliant switching, is there any other brand that does?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's the STB at fault, the Pioneer AV Receiver is considered an HDMI repeater and the implementation of HDMI on the STB isn't handling it correctly. Until your provider fixes their box, you are basically SOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI_repeater_bit

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

What does STB stand for?

Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytech-AV View Post

What does STB stand for?

set top box: the Motorola box

please take the high road in every post
If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Beware: Copy Protection Flags are coming
Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Discussion of the removal of HDCP is illegal in the US thanks to the DMCA. You're not going to be able to find your answer here.

sorry to say this is correct

If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM

So the DMCA somehow now outlaws free speech does it?
Absolutely unbelievable!!
I have a legitimately bought and paid for projector with a DVI input with which I want to view totally legal HD content and now my equipment is rendered useless by the people who pass acts such as this.
I find it incredible that they then expect me not to talk about ways of getting my own equipment to work.
Well I don't live in the States and I won't be silenced. I will do everything in my power to find a way of stripping away HDCP and viewing HD broadcasts, games and movies without having to replace a projector that is only two years old!
Sorry about the rant but I was totally incenced when I read that the American people can be silenced by the law over this.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

^^^^

we have been dealing with this for several years now

My initial reaction was similar to yours but I have mellowed a bit

Best of luck to you

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Thank god the world is not just USA and the rest of the world live in free speech.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimma View Post

So the DMCA somehow now outlaws free speech does it? Absolutely unbelievable!!

It's not outlawing anything, it's the rules of this site. This site CHOOSES to ban discussion of illegal activities. The 1st Amendment doesn't apply to this site. They can ban any kind of discussion they wish to.

What you are wanting to do is illegal. This site is only being prduent in not allowing discussion of illegal activities. If someone here asked how to turn back an odometer you'd be totally undestanding in why that's not allowed wouldn't you? Of course. But somehow you are perplexed by this site not allowing discussion of how to remove HDCP.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

If someone here asked how to turn back an odometer you'd be totally undestanding in why that's not allowed wouldn't you? Of course. But somehow you are perplexed by this site not allowing discussion of how to remove HDCP.

I didn't even mention what this site does or does not allow us to discuss. I commented on what had been said previously in this thread which was that talking about HDCP stripping being ILLEGAL.
I do not think this in any way compares to winding back the mileometer on a car in order to deceive a prospective buyer. All people want to be able to do is watch media they've paid for on equipment they've also paid for in the majority of cases.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
http://www.hdfury.com/

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimma View Post

So the DMCA somehow now outlaws free speech does it?
Absolutely unbelievable!!
I have a legitimately bought and paid for projector with a DVI input with which I want to view totally legal HD content and now my equipment is rendered useless by the people who pass acts such as this.
I find it incredible that they then expect me not to talk about ways of getting my own equipment to work.
Well I don't live in the States and I won't be silenced. I will do everything in my power to find a way of stripping away HDCP and viewing HD broadcasts, games and movies without having to replace a projector that is only two years old!
Sorry about the rant but I was totally incenced when I read that the American people can be silenced by the law over this.

What really gets me mad, my system worked for about a year then the HDCP update happened. Now my system doesn’t work! I don’t even have the option to purchase a newer Star choice receiver that will work with my Pioneer AV receiver as Star choice/Motorola doesn’t make one. I also legitimately bought and pay a monthly fee to watch a satellite with a DVI output that is useless with my current setup. Total bull!

All I can do is connect the satellite with component video to the Pioneer AV receiver and let the receiver up-convert the component signal to an HDMI signal.

Now the problem is some HD programming is HDCP compliant and I can’t get a picture on some HD Hockey games with component video. I now have a second output from the satellite receiver that is composite video and have to up-convert to HDMI. Picture really sucks!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What really gets me mad...

What really gets me mad is when I post an answer to a question and it gets ignored.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This site does not support posts that inform people how to break the law and the abiility to log into the site will be removed by those that do.
You can ask us all you want for a law breaking solution as that is your right. We are jsut telling you that you should not expect to get an answer.

Is your receiver have any other ouput connections? If yes are they HDCP complient?

You have to understand that the purpose of HDCP is to prevent the illegal copying and distribution of copywrite protected material. Powered HDMI switches and distribution amplifiers provide this ability the fact that it appears that your receiver does not.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

What really gets me mad, my system worked for about a year then the HDCP update happened. Now my system doesn't work! I don't even have the option to purchase a newer Star choice receiver that will work with my Pioneer AV receiver as Star choice/Motorola doesn't make one. I also legitimately bought and pay a monthly fee to watch a satellite with a DVI output that is useless with my current setup. Total bull!

All I can do is connect the satellite with component video to the Pioneer AV receiver and let the receiver up-convert the component signal to an HDMI signal.

Now the problem is some HD programming is HDCP compliant and I can't get a picture on some HD Hockey games with component video. I now have a second output from the satellite receiver that is composite video and have to up-convert to HDMI. Picture really sucks!

I think you would do better to run the component cables directly to the TV and an optical cable from the STB to the AV receiver for your sound.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Or he could read post #13
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM

I can understand that people in countries that have signed the WIPO Treaty, the one banning the removal of DRM, might be concerned about any detailed discussions or providing links that might educate other how to do this but I'm not in such a country (won't say which, atm) so engaging in such activities is not at all illegal for me.

Is it the policy of this site to ban only things that might be illegal in U.S.? What would happen if some E.U. country banned something legal in the U.S. related to AVS' focus? (not too far fetched). Would it choose to ignore E.U. laws?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reamer View Post

Is it the policy of this site to ban only things that might be illegal in U.S.? What would happen if some E.U. country banned something legal in the U.S. related to AVS' focus? (not too far fetched). Would it choose to ignore E.U. laws?

This should be obvious.

If it's legal in the US, it's fair game here. If not legal in the US, not for discussion here.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamer View Post

\\Is it the policy of this site to ban only things that might be illegal in U.S.? What would happen if some E.U. country banned something legal in the U.S. related to AVS' focus? (not too far fetched). Would it choose to ignore E.U. laws?

This site is based in the U.S. and is therefore subject to the legal environment of the U.S.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

This site is based in the U.S. and is therefore subject to the legal environment of the U.S.

I think some people take the term "land of the free" to literal. We still have laws in America and we still get sued, fined, and arrested for what is against U.S. law here. Especially websites generated in America. Feel free to start your own forum if you feel AVS forum is to law abiding for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

What really gets me mad is when I post an answer to a question and it gets ignored.

Thanks Ken

Had a look and I don't want to go that route as I want to stay a law obeying citizen. The HDfury is not cheap and component video is looking good now for that price.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Ken

Had a look and I don't want to go that route as I want to stay a law obeying citizen. The HDfury is not cheap and component video is looking good now for that price.

To the best of my knowledge, using the HDFury is not breaking any laws.

Having said that, component video is the equal of HDMI for HD image quality, except for use with Blu-ray when in 1080p mode.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
SWC

Old CRT projector, fine picture but, sadly, looking at new BluRay player with HDMI output. I wanted to take advantage of full resolution audio and video, but HDCP protected the content providers from my evildoing.

Until the HDFury, not illegal to use in the US, allowed me to hook up said modern HDMI to past generation CRT RGB inputs. All good.

Problem really solved with my new LED projector, all HDCP happy and 1080p. No need for intervening HDFury connector.

So, there is more than one way to make your theater all it can be.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 AM

Discussing illegal activity is not illegal.
Doing something that might be illegal in some circumstances, may be legal in others.
If no fraud is intended, I am able to do any number of things involving checking, money transfer, etc that may involve things that are often used for fraud.
Obviously reasonable caution is called for.

Trying to connect my older hidef set hardly falls under the same oversight that printing fake but legal money does.

When I found I could no longer connect my newer vcrs in series as I have always done, I was forced to find a way to disable their signal.
I consider their signal and blue screen response to it to be an illegal act depriving me of use of a device I paid for.
Read the laws and protocols they wish to use on the public in digital media for a lesson in real criminality.

My response has been to stop buying any prerecorded material.

My lobbying to the industry states,
"If I can't record on it, record to it and record from it, I won't buy it."

When they want my business, I'll be here.

It has never been about piracy.
It is about wanting to have total control and eventually charge per minute of use for all material.

No thanks.

Rule of necessity says that if greater harm is caused by following the law than not following it, there are exceptions.

And most are aware that most laws are passed and written by corporations for corporations, and often cannot pass constitutional muster and often conflict with all existing law.

If I did hack a signal blocking reproduction to make and use a legal copy for my use, have I really committed a crime?

They said radio would kill the music business.
It took cds and over pricing to do it.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

...If someone here asked how to turn back an odometer you'd be totally undestanding in why that's not allowed wouldn't you? ...

Block up the rear axle and let the drive train run in reverse.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

Discussing illegal activity is not illegal.

Illegal or not, discussing illegal activity is not allowed at AVS.

Quote:
Rule of necessity says that if greater harm is caused by following the law than not following it, there are exceptions.

Your 'rule of necessity' has nothing to do with legal requirements.

Quote:
And most are aware that most laws are passed and written by corporations for corporations, and often cannot pass constitutional muster and often conflict with all existing law.

If I did hack a signal blocking reproduction to make and use a legal copy for my use, have I really committed a crime?

Yes, regardless if you think so or not. At least until our legal system determines otherwise.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Illegal or not, discussing illegal activity is not allowed at AVS.

Your 'rule of necessity' has nothing to do with legal requirements.

Hardly my rule.
United states law.

Many things are illegal in one part of the law and ruled legal by some over riding law or case law.
Often laws are passed for reasons of appearance knowing full well they are illegal laws to start with.

So personal use is "illegal" now?
Then everything I do with my video system is now illegal.

And I would remind you that just because one,line says you can't do something, does not mean it is illegal.
You have to know case law and context to even have a clue.
Many things the public thinks are illegal, are only illegal when done to commit fraud or to advance some other crime.

I recently read all the dmv case law where I live to win a case.
(And yes, intensely boring.)
Virtually every "law" had been modified by case law, including my issue.
Reading the basic law by itself, meant nothing without the case law that follows it.
A law is like a contract.
It's just words on paper until tested in a courtroom.

The question really is why is open discussion not allowed on here?
Many of these points will be unclear as to legality for years.
It is a bizarre thing to try to argue what is legal on a forum that isn't westlaw.

The idea seems to be to squelch all discussion, which is surely part of the intent of the writers of such nonsense laws.
Why play sucker to that?
Every tv drama discusses how to commit crimes, on the part of criminals and the police.
The idea that not talking about something makes it go away, has been disproved, in all contexts, including magical thinking.

Will this forum discourage use or spend all it's time arguing points that will not be answered until a court rules?
I can point out endless state laws that contravene federal law and have no force at all.
And the same applies to local laws.
And to federal law that contradicts itself or conflicts with confirmed law.
Many particularly outrageous laws are kept on the books by backing down whenever anyone challenges them, because they know they will lose.

As for corporations writing laws, read the papers and talk to your representatives.
They even keep statistics on this.
It isn't a secret.
Read the disney copyright laws for a good example.

(If you bounce a check at a grocery store here, it is a totally different set of rules from anywhere else. Guess who wrote that?)

I only see a problem if some technical approach is discussed without full disclosure about existing laws and practices.
I take note that the fcc has indulged in such selective non-enforcement as to become a superfluous agency, for instance.

Examples of how much the law really means to companies and governments-
Best Buy collected sales tax on cecbs in Tennessee well aware of the criminal activity involved.
The State of Tennessee asked everyone to collect sales tax on cecbs knowing it was violating federal law.
They don't care.

Free speech is not a crime.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

Hardly my rule.
United states law.

Many things are illegal in one part of the law and ruled legal by some over riding law or case law.
Often laws are passed for reasons of appearance knowing full well they are illegal laws to start with.

So personal use is "illegal" now?
Then everything I do with my video system is now illegal.

And I would remind you that just because one,line says you can't do something, does not mean it is illegal.
You have to know case law and context to even have a clue.
Many things the public thinks are illegal, are only illegal when done to commit fraud or to advance some other crime.

I recently read all the dmv case law where I live to win a case.
(And yes, intensely boring.)
Virtually every "law" had been modified by case law, including my issue.
Reading the basic law by itself, meant nothing without the case law that follows it.
A law is like a contract.
It's just words on paper until tested in a courtroom.

The question really is why is open discussion not allowed on here?
Many of these points will be unclear as to legality for years.
It is a bizarre thing to try to argue what is legal on a forum that isn't westlaw.

The idea seems to be to squelch all discussion, which is surely part of the intent of the writers of such nonsense laws.
Why play sucker to that?
Every tv drama discusses how to commit crimes, on the part of criminals and the police.
The idea that not talking about something makes it go away, has been disproved, in all contexts, including magical thinking.

Will this forum discourage use or spend all it's time arguing points that will not be answered until a court rules?
I can point out endless state laws that contravene federal law and have no force at all.
And the same applies to local laws.
And to federal law that contradicts itself or conflicts with confirmed law.
Many particularly outrageous laws are kept on the books by backing down whenever anyone challenges them, because they know they will lose.

As for corporations writing laws, read the papers and talk to your representatives.
They even keep statistics on this.
It isn't a secret.
Read the disney copyright laws for a good example.

(If you bounce a check at a grocery store here, it is a totally different set of rules from anywhere else. Guess who wrote that?)

I only see a problem if some technical approach is discussed without full disclosure about existing laws and practices.
I take note that the fcc has indulged in such selective non-enforcement as to become a superfluous agency, for instance.

Examples of how much the law really means to companies and governments-
Best Buy collected sales tax on cecbs in Tennessee well aware of the criminal activity involved.
The State of Tennessee asked everyone to collect sales tax on cecbs knowing it was violating federal law.
They don't care.

Free speech is not a crime.

You are completely missing the point. AVS is not a public forum. It's privately owned and operated, and as such can determine for itself what is appropriate for discussion here.

Further off topic discussion will be deleted without warning.

The fact this topic remains open, and discusses products like the HDFury speaks for itself.