How to wire DishNetwork for a second tv in my home? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay so I currently have cable and my house is about a 3000 square foot bilevel built in 2004. All of the rooms in my house have a coax cable jack for hooking up a tv. Right now being I have cable from the local cable company I can put a tv in any room, hook it to the coax cable jack and then I will have cable. Well not all the cable channels unless I put a digital cable box at each tv.

So I'm looking to switch to Dish Network and was wondering how the wiring would need to work. For instance, upstairs in my living room I have a 50" DLP HD tv. This tv would be the one that the Dish Network VIP 722 box would be hooked directly up to via HDMI wire. But then on the other side of my house upstairs I have my bedroom with a 42" HD LCD tv in it. Then downstairs I have 2 large rooms, one a game room and one a home theater room. Each room downstairs has a 50" HD tv. So basically I have 4 HD tv's in my house, both upstairs and downstairs.

Now I'm wondering, with the new Dish Network VIP 722 box, how do I get the signal from my main tv upstairs in the living room to the other 3 tv's throughout the house? I don't want to run any new wires, etc. The house is already prewired using standard coax cable, so each room in the house has it's own cable jack.

Can DishNetwork use the existing coax cable that's in the house to run the signal to different rooms? is it just like how it works currently with my cable company, where outside at the box on the house the main cable feed comes in from the street pole, and then it powers all the cable jacks in the house?

If it doesn't work this way and I have to manually run a new line from the VIP 722 box to the other tvs in the house, this won't be an option for me. Because like I said, the two tv's upstairs are in different rooms about 100 ft apart, then the 2 tv's downstairs are again spread apart. This would mean I would have to run wires from the main DishNetwork box upstairs all throughout the house to the other tv's. My house is only 4 years old and I am NOT about to start ripping apart walls, etc. to run wires or have ugly wires running over the walls, etc. If that's the case I will just stay with my current cable company the way it is now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 283
If the existing coax is RG6, you can probably use it. All you probably need to do is replace the coax splitters and add a Dish receiver for each of the additional TV(s).
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

yeah but doesn't the dish receiver need to connected directly to the satellite dish via some sort of a wire? that means if the satellite dish is on my roof on the left side of my house, and I want to have a receiver downstairs on the right side of my house then I need to run a wire all the way across the house and downstairs? that sounds like a pain in the butt..

plus to note, I have a cable modem that I want to keep. So the cable modem is plugged into my coax cable line in my office upstairs. If I go changing over the splitters won't I lose my cable modem functionality?

thanks
post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Dish installers will survey and run coax from the satellite dish to the primary receiver.

Leave the existing coax from the cableTV feed to the modem.

Change the existing splitters for additional satellite hookups. You can do that yourself or have the installer do that for you since you will have to order additional receivers.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

okay I guess. too bad I couldn't have an installer come out first to survey what I needed and let me know if new wiring would need to be ran through my walls..
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by squale View Post

okay I guess. too bad I couldn't have an installer come out first to survey what I needed and let me know if new wiring would need to be ran through my walls..

I would assume that the cable enters your house at some location and then the wires in the walls run from this central location to the various rooms. The Dish installer will need to get a cable from the dish to that central location and then should be able to use the existing wiring just like the cable does.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm sure that you can request a "survey" before signing on. They should come out anyway to verify that you have a good line of site to the satellites. While they are there, have them check wiring/splitters and then you can discuss options/costs.

Or... ask a co-worker, friend or neighbor that has satellite to come over and take a look for you.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Even though I have a small 3 bedroom ranch. You have numerous issues to overcome . Most importantly - changing stations! A single dish hookup has one receiver and you can split it to many tvs but they are all going to be watching the same channel and you would have to return to the room with the receiver to change stations. Not what you want I bet!
I have two receiver boxes, one living room one in bedroom , they both need lines directly to the dish. The second tv set up only costs $5 per month. I believe up to 4 receivers are possible on one dish as long at it is installed with four thingys' at the dish. ( real technical huh)
The install would have to run a line from the dish to the receiver. That receiver is then in control of the tv or tvs which are set to channel 3 or 4 and left there. One receiver box may be strong enough to feed your in house cable system but the channel selection..
Verify with a local dishnetwork installer but that's how mine works.
BTW nothing beats a good DVR in the system to record when you are asleep!
post #9 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We have three sets hooked up by Dish. It's a very nice dvr, but only 2 sets have access to it. If you want the pause live programming option for all 4 of your sets, you might need to ask for a second dvr. I don't know if that would require a second dish on the roof.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 AM

Your ViP722 will have 2 tuners which can be used in single or dual mode. It will also come with 2 remotes, one is RF and can control the receiver from any room in the house. If you want to feed independant signals to 4 TV's you'll need 2 722's and each will need it's own RG-6 dedicated feed from the dish (only 1 dish should be required). You can then run each receiver in dual mode and output the 2nd tuner from each receiver to you house's cable system you'll need to set each receiver's second tuner to output on a different channel (that you will tune the 2nd TV to). One caveat is I don't think the 2nd tuner output will be HD, (mine are hooked up to legacy CRT SD TV's). I think your cable internet will be fine on the existing cable as well since the dish tuners modulate on a standard cable TV frequency that I think is well outside the cable modem signal range (but I can't confirm as my cable modem has a dedicated feed).
post #11 of 11 Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 AM

Satellite works differently than cable. You can't use one receiver to receive independent HD signals on different tvs. The Vip 722 and 622 receivers have independent outputs that allow you to watch HD on the primary tv, but the second tv is connected by coax and the signal is SD. You can also use all the receivers to send the signal to slave tvs by coax or component/rca and watch the same channel as the primary tv. To watch HD on all 4 tvs you have to have an HD receiver in each room.

From the satellite dish there will either be a coax wire running to each receiver or the dish will connect to an outdoor switch with coax running from the switch to each receiver.

Depending on where you live, you may need more than one dish to receive all the channels. For example, I live in NE Florida and right now I have one dish pointed SW for the 119 and 110 satellites and one aimed SE for 61.5. When the new Eastern Arc is fully available one dish will pick up 61.5, 72.5 and 77. You may be in a location where you can receive 110, 119 and 129 with one dish. If you require two dishes you will need a switch. The installer will be able to determine that or you can call Dish and ask them.

Satellite signals cannot pass over RG59 coax which was the standard cabling for cable for a long time. It must be RG6 rated to at least 2150 mHz. If the wiring has to be changed, the installer will do that. I would bet that if the wiring has to be changed the installer will probably elect to run new cable from the dish or switch to each receiver from different outside access points rather than a common entry point and then through all the interior walls.

You can check your current wiring by taking off one of the wall plates and read what is printed or stamped on the cable. Assuming it is RG6, you should be able to connect the satellite wires to the existing wiring as long as the total length of each wire from the dish to each individual receiver doesn't exceed the 200' max for the Vip receivers.

You'll also need the Dish Vip receicers for HD. They use the Mpeg4 codec/compression format. While some of the original Mpeg2 receivers are still in use and receive HD signals, Dish is in the process of converting everything to Mpeg4 and the older receivers won't work in the future for HD signals.

The 622 and 722 are dual tuner/independent output DVRs. For more than one DVR you will have to pay a monthly DVR fee for the additional DVRs. The 612 is a dual tuner DVR without a seperate independent output for a second SD tv. The 211/222? are HD receivers without DVRs or independent outputs although like the 612 they can be used for slave tvs.

I know. This is information overload. Like I said, satellite is different. Once you decide on your receivers, let the installers figure out the wiring.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page