Comcast says signal is fine (kind of long) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier, but here it is...

My hd channels have been tiling or dropping out completely for hours or days, and then all of a sudden they will be fine-sd will get fuzzier than normal but nothing like HD channels. Of course when Comcast comes the channels are fine so i can't show him- he checks outside and the signal was fine along with the connections outside. He says to call if happens again but i'm afraid the samething is going to happen by the time they come out. I'm guessing it's inside and I'm responsible for it anyway($) according to comcast, so Im asking for any advice...
Set Up
1 line into house, split into 2 lines (only 2 rooms get cable)
Both lead to an indidual SA 8300 hd box ( 1 upstairs, 1 main floor)
they are not hooked up to anything but the SA box
one is component and one is hdmi.
BOTH televisions are having the same problem i.e. they sent signals to my boxes, we rebooted etc.(while i was telling them if both tvs are doing it what are the chances both boxes are on the fritz at the same time)
So there it is. sorry it's long and I'm new to the board. Any help would be appreciated. Could the splitter in the basement be the problem? does it need upgraded? I didn't look at what type it was, but it looks like the same old generic splitters i've seen for years from cable. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Have you noticed the problem possibly correlating to time of day or to rainy weather?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

No, it's been happening for about a month in good and bad weather, random times of day and night. I thought the same thing and suggested it to the comcast guy, but he didn't say anything.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a SA 8300 thread you should check as well as many sites on the web.

If both TVs display the same problem at the same time we can pretty much know that it is something that is shared. They share house power, coax from the splitter upstream and the CC signal.

House power--do you have other symptoms--flickering lights, dimming.

Splitter-- these usually don't go bad, unless you have it in a wet location. Splitters are cheap and the one you want will be marked with a bandwidth to 900mHz or 1000mHz. If the splitter is very old it might only be rated to about half that and should be replaced. If you ask the CC guy they will normally just give you one; many CC offices will also just give you one.

F-connectors--these little devils are often a problem. Some CC techs will just put new ones on as a matter of routine. If you decide to change them don't use twist on connectors; get ones that require a tool (crimp or compression).

The coax itself--check it for signs of damage, kinks, dents, bends less than 1.5" radius. If any part of the cable is buried or in water ensure that it is rated for burial.

Signal strength at the SA DVRs--check this several times and in wet and dry weather if you can.

Check with you immediate neighbors to see if they have the same issues with CC and if they do are they at the same time.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Remove the splitter and test with one feed directly to the primary TV, hopefully that's as close as possible where the coax enters your home. If the problem persists, ask for a Comcast supervisor to address/diagnose/resolve.

You are paying for a "quality of service". They should fix at no charge to the primary TV. If the problem is with additional hardware/wiring after the primary drop (that you installed yourself), it's on your dime.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any chance you can record the problem when it acts up and then show it to the tech when he comes again?

I also suspect the F-connectors. With our cable, when there is a bad connection for analog signals the lower channels can be snowy but the high channels will be OK. This is because the connection is almost, but not quite, touching which forms a capacitor that acts like a highpass filter. If the problem is intermittent, it will drive you crazy. The digital equivalent is tiles and dropout.

If it were my problem I would lay out a temporary alternate cable path from the point where the cable enters. If the signal is OK, then you have to check each of the original connections.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice. I work long hours, so I won't get to check everything mentioned until the weekend, but looks like thats what I'll be donig. Thanks agin for the help.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Does your splitter pass up to at least 900 MHz? 1000 MHz may be a bit better. I didn't know there was much difference in splitters until I read about it somewhere in this forum. I changed a 500 MHz out for a 1000 MHz and my upper channels cleared up.

I also use a Magnavox Amp on mine: Line in to amp. one line out to a 1000 MHz splitter and then one of those straight to the TV and one to the DVR, the other amp out goes to a distribution block that goes to 3 additional SD sets. No issues.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page