AVS Forum banner

Question on Coaxial Cable Splitters; HD Cable Box and Cable Modem

7K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  egnlsn 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I am trying to have my Comcast HD Cable Box and Cable Modem in the same room from the same wall outlet. I don't really know much about splitters and wanted to get some ideas on what the best splitter for something like this would be? What should I look for in a splitter to make sure it will work for what I want it to do?

Should I be concerned about TV picture degradation if I do this?

Would this item be a good choice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips!!

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce1973 /forum/post/15403081

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I am trying to have my Comcast HD Cable Box and Cable Modem in the same room from the same wall outlet. I don't really know much about splitters and wanted to get some ideas on what the best splitter for something like this would be? What should I look for in a splitter to make sure it will work for what I want it to do?

Should I be concerned about TV picture degradation if I do this?

Would this item be a good choice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips!!

Two problems with that splitter -- Gold and $17. The 2.5GHz bandwidth is a waste also (cable TV only uses 5-1000MHz).

You can get premium quality CATV materials here .

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/15403620

Two problems with that splitter -- Gold and $17. The 2.5GHz bandwidth is a waste also (cable TV only uses 5-1000MHz).

You can get premium quality CATV materials here .

Ok, I am a noob, but what is wrong with gold? Are you saying that that splitter is just too fancy (it will work but is more expensive), and that a cheaper one will get the same results?

Will HD content be more than 5-1000MHz? I just want to make sure that whatever splitter I get will be able to work with HD content and split to a cable modem.

I welcome any and all comments. Thanks everyone!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce1973 /forum/post/15404971

Ok, I am a noob, but what is wrong with gold? Are you saying that that splitter is just too fancy (it will work but is more expensive), and that a cheaper one will get the same results?

Will HD content be more than 5-1000MHz? I just want to make sure that whatever splitter I get will be able to work with HD content and split to a cable modem.

I welcome any and all comments. Thanks everyone!

The gold plating can cause Common Mode Distortions, which can cause grief for pictures. Cable systems only go up to a maximum 1000MHz. The majority in the United States go up to only 750 or 860MHz. Anything above 1000MHz is just a waste. $17 for a 2-way splitter is a big waste of money. Why not just use the same stuff that the cable companies use?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/15405208

The gold plating can cause Common Mode Distortions, which can cause grief for pictures. Cable systems only go up to a maximum 1000MHz. The majority in the United States go up to only 750 or 860MHz. Anything above 1000MHz is just a waste. $17 for a 2-way splitter is a big waste of money. Why not just use the same stuff that the cable companies use?

Ok, then something like this would do the trick, eh?

I really only need to split the cable 2 ways. Does it make a difference if the device splits 2 ways / ways etc? Thanks again for the information on this.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce1973 /forum/post/15406613

Ok, then something like this would do the trick, eh?

I really only need to split the cable 2 ways. Does it make a difference if the device splits 2 ways / ways etc? Thanks again for the information on this.

Splitters for CATV need to be solder-backed and not epoxied. They also should have printed circuit boards and not just have the components loose inside.

If you did get that one, you would also have to pay shipping, which would most likely bring the total cost to more than the ones at CENCOM .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.