How well do cable signal amplifiers work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my HD cable box, I notice there is occasional pixelation and picture breakup. This could be due to the fact that my cable signal is split in half because I also use it for internet. So, I could be losing signal. I saw a $10 signal amplifier at RadioShack and I’m wondering if those things really work. For those of you who tried these signal amplifiers, have they worked well for you?

BTW- Yes, I know I can call the cable company, but that’s just a hassle. They put you on hold from so long and they try to find ways to get out of helping you. Not to mention that the people they send over don’t really know much. So, I’d rather fix this issue myself, if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Get the Motorola, either one tap or 4 tap.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 06:08 AM

I found the QAM signals to much more dependent on level to the end use device than the regular SD signals. So boosting it is probably a good idea. I had installed a six way splitter, on the cable input to feed the house, about 8 db loss and the digital recorder didn't like the QAM level. As to quality, the cable is much less picky with noise figures than over the air is, so 'probably' a cheap amplifier would be OK.

Try the cheapo RS. if it doesn't work, return it.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

On my HD cable box, I notice there is occasional pixelation and picture breakup. This could be due to the fact that my cable signal is split in half because I also use it for internet. So, I could be losing signal. I saw a $10 signal amplifier at RadioShack and I'm wondering if those things really work. For those of you who tried these signal amplifiers, have they worked well for you?

BTW- Yes, I know I can call the cable company, but that's just a hassle. They put you on hold from so long and they try to find ways to get out of helping you. Not to mention that the people they send over don't really know much. So, I'd rather fix this issue myself, if possible.

You should be able to have 2 outlets without any issues. The problem with just arbitrarily throwing in an amp is that while it may resolve your issue at this time, eventually the cable company will fix their low signal level issue out in the plant (because someone else called) and then yours won't work anymore because you now have too much signal. Went through it recently with my daughter and have had to resolve such issues in the past for customers.

While it may not be what you most want to do, it would be better to call the cable company.

That $10 amp will create a whole new set of issues by itself.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

The problem with just arbitrarily throwing in an amp is that while it may resolve your issue at this time, eventually the cable company will fix their low signal level issue out in the plant (because someone else called) and then yours won't work anymore because you now have too much signal.

So, you're saying that there could be a low signal in my area?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

So, you're saying that there could be a low signal in my area?

Yes

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page