Sony KDF-42WE655 HD over antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3 year old (2005) Sony KDF-42WE655 television. It works great hooked up to cable box to get HD. I have a buddy that has a newer Sony television in which he hooked up an Antenna to it and plugged it into the 75ohm (RF) connector on the back of his television and is able to watch HD over the air channels as well as digital channels. I have gone to the Sony web site and double checked that this model has a built in QAM and ASTC tuners. When I hook the same antenna up to my television (he only lives down the block) I don't get any channels. Is there a configuration that I need to set on the television? I started to read the manual and it says only HD channels can be received using component or HDMI connectors. That explains the HD but I still don't get any of the digital channels.

Anyone have any things I could look at or try?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
in the menu, you need to tell the set to "scan" for over-the-air channels. It currently is set to scan for cable channels
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

When I run the Scan it only shows Cable as what it is searching for. I can't find any place to switch it to OTA. I have the VHF/UHF 75ohm connector on the TV but when I plug the antenna in there and run the scan I get nothing. When I plug it in to the cable 75ohm connector I get stations but no digital or HD.

Do you know how to change the scan to do OTA(VHF/UHF)?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like this is one of those rare TVs with 2 RF inputs.

First, make sure you get some analog chs with the antenna -tune to a known close analog ch. Once you get that working then you can scan for OTA chs. There should be a menu choice for that.

If you want cable chs you need to use the other RF input - you should have some clear QAM chs on the system.

You can get an idea of the local condition in your local HDTV thread.

I'd also recommend reading a bit about DTV in general.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaddog View Post

Do you know how to change the scan to do OTA(VHF/UHF)?

I downloaded the manual from this page on Sony's web site.

According to page 106, the Auto Program function in the Channels menu scans for channels on whichever input is currently selected.

It looks like you have to press the ANT button on the remote to switch between the CABLE and VHF/UHF inputs. This is mentioned on page 61 which describes the remote control, and on page 33 which discusses connecting both cable and antenna.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM

I am having the same problem, as every time I run the channel auto-program it says it is searching for cable channels. I have my Mohu Leaf antenna hooked up to the VHF/UHF RF input on the back of the TV. However, I bought my TV used and it did not come with the original remote. Is there any way I can switch the scan from cable to OTA(VHF/UHF) without the remote? Like some kind of menu setting or something that I have not seen so far? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My experience with Sony sets is, they love to bury the OTA/Cable setting waaaaaaay down in the menu. It may even be in some odd place, like under "tools", or something.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page