Hd Cable Tuner for HD Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i am sure this question has been asked multiple times, but i searched the forums and wasn't really able to get a clear answer. I have a Toshiba 32'' LCD Monitor that does not have a built in tuner. I am currently using a VCR to view cable stations. The apartment complex that i live in includes cable, so all i have to do is plug it into the wall to receive cable.

This cable service also includes free HD channels. One of friends has a LCD tv with a built in tuner and is able to receive the hd channels by just plugging it into the wall.

Is there a tuner/receiver that will allow me to view regular cable channels and hd channels at the same time? I do not care able over the air hd cable, i just want to take full advantage of the service i have.

After doing some research i bought the Samsung DTBh260F knowing i could return it and thinking that it may solve my problem, however i do not think it will work for what i need.

Any Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK the Samsung you got will only tune OTA 8VSB prototol digital channels and is not capable of tuning QAM protocol digital channels used by cable companies.
Your friends TV is capable of receiving the local HD digital channels since its tuner will processs either OTA or cable digital channels and your local cable company is not encrypting the Local HD channels so they are free.
However, you should be aware that the free clearQAM channels from the cable company are a subset of the OTA channels that you can receive with the tuner you have.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs1014 View Post

Any Suggestions?

PrimeDTV PHD-205. $162.00 from EPVSales through Amazon.com.

Tunes ATSC, QAM and NTSC.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If you can track one down, the Samsung SIRT-451 tunes both ATSC and QAM. At least, that way, if attaching it to the cable doesn't get the desired results, you can hook some rabbit ears to it and get your locals in HD that way. Here's a list of tuners that may serve your purposes:

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the imput
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The Samsung DTB-H260F will receive ATSC and clear-QAM but will not receive NTSC. Therefore, you would still need the analog tuner for your analogs but the Samsung should work fine on the clear digitals including the HDs that you are looking for.

Plug it in and scan.

From the Owner's Manual:
General Specifications
Broadcasting standard DTV (ATSC)
Demodulation Method 8-VSB, QAM (free channel only)

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Easier to use a tuner with both QAM and NTSC built-into one, than to have to configure and use the Sammy and the VCR and have to change inputs to watch them separately.

Hence, the PrimeDTV suggestion. It's about the same price as the Sammy anyway - maybe even a little cheaper. It's also got ATSC like the Sammy, in case he ever wants to use that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

The Samsung DTB-H260F will receive ATSC and clear-QAM but will not receive NTSC. Therefore, you would still need the analog tuner for your analogs but the Samsung should work fine on the clear digitals including the HDs that you are looking for.

Plug it in and scan.

From the Owner's Manual:
General Specifications
Broadcasting standard DTV (ATSC)
Demodulation Method 8-VSB, QAM (free channel only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Easier to use a tuner with both QAM and NTSC built-into one, than to have to configure and use the Sammy and the VCR and have to change inputs to watch them separately.

Hence, the PrimeDTV suggestion. It's about the same price as the Sammy anyway - maybe even a little cheaper. It's also got ATSC like the Sammy, in case he ever wants to use that.

Agreed. A NTSC/QAM solution will be much more effective. The primary, though unclear, intention of my post was to inform the OP that the Samsung he purchased would, in fact, provide the additional QAM capability he sought.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

AFAIK the Samsung you got will only tune OTA 8VSB prototol digital channels and is not capable of tuning QAM protocol digital channels used by cable companies.

Nope, the 260 is QAM & ATSC.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page