New CM 4220HD vs. Old CM 4220? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to pull the trigger on a small antenna for OTA HD reception, and was all set to go with the Channel Master 4220... however, it seems as though it has been replaced with the "updated" Channel Master 4220HD.

The old ones are still available, and they seem to be priced the same from the online vendors. The spec sheet for the 4220 has some plots (http://www.channelmasterintl.com/pdf...00701a_web.pdf), however the 4220HD's spec sheet is much more general (http://www.channelmasterintl.com/doc...nas_200807.pdf).

Has anyone compared these two antennas, to see which one performs better?

For reference, here is the old 4220:

... and here is the new 4220HD:

Thanks

... when I bought my first pair of CRT projectors, nobody ever told me they worked like rabbits!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Save yourself a few dollars with the Aspen Eagle. I got one online for around $22 with free shipping.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD-40 View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on a small antenna for OTA HD reception, and was all set to go with the Channel Master 4220... however, it seems as though it has been replaced with the "updated" Channel Master 4220HD.

The old ones are still available, and they seem to be priced the same from the online vendors. The spec sheet for the 4220 has some plots (http://www.channelmasterintl.com/pdf...00701a_web.pdf), however the 4220HD's spec sheet is much more general (http://www.channelmasterintl.com/doc...nas_200807.pdf).

Has anyone compared these two antennas, to see which one performs better?

For reference, here is the old 4220:

... and here is the new 4220HD:

Thanks

I bought one of the new Channel Master ones - the 4 bay version not the 2 bay version. I'm planning on using this in the attic. I may eventually put it outdoors - but my wife is against it. Anyway, I don't have anyway of comparing it to the old model, except I know the older model was made mostly of steel. The new model is almost 100% aluminum and as such is very light. I'd rate the quality of construction as very high. Very easy to assemble. It is already assembled, you just have to pull up the part with the "whiskers" and tighten down a wingnut. I also like the fact that the 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun is built in. Therefore, the connection is sealed better.

I'm in a fairly strong signal area, so the one I bought may be overkill. I could have probably bought the 2 bay version. However, I plan on splitting the signal at least 4 ways.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek7300 View Post

I bought one of the new Channel Master ones - the 4 bay version not the 2 bay version.

If you have a few minutes, would you mind taking some measurements of the antenna? I would be interested in the "whisker" lengths and the various spacings.

Thank you,
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

If you have a few minutes, would you mind taking some measurements of the antenna? I would be interested in the "whisker" lengths and the various spacings.

Thank you,

I don't mind. I have had the antenna for a while - since about the 1st week of December. Now that the holidays are over and things are getting back to normal, I'll post some measurments. I also took some pictures already. I'm at work right now. I'll try to post some info later tonight.

Robert
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page