Can I have U-verse TV AND Comcast Internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching Uverse for sometime now and was on the fence about ordering it. Comcast removing HDNet Movies here in Houston pushed me to finally order Uverse on Dec 31. I ordered on their website just the Uverse TV option U400 plan for $99 but never got a follow-up email.

Today I called about my order status and they told me that I would have to cancel my other internet provider (Comcast) 5 days before they could install Uverse TV. They said I didn't have to order Uverse Internet but I could not have a competing internet provider along with my Uverse TV. WTF?

Have I missed something here in all of my research? Is it not possible to keep your current cable internet service and get Uverse TV?

In my situation, I live in a condo complex that is wired for Comcast cable and part of our maintence fee goes towards that. Was Uverse going to have to use the existing coax cable for my TV service?

I decided to cancel my order at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
U-verse can use coax or cat5 to deliver TV/Internet service. If lived in a house, they would run Cat5 for you. Since you live in a condo with finished walls, etc., they might have to use the existing coax.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from the AT&T store. I can have just the Uverse TV AND my Comcast internet. They said the ATT&T guy on the phone must have been drunk or something. It is being installed on Jan 30th. That will be the true test.

I did explain to them my condo situation and they said that would not be a problem.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why don't you want the U-verse internet? Are you getting a really good deal on the Comcrap? I have Directv and U-verse internet and it is 6 Mbps for $35/month which was a much better deal that the comcast internet when I canceled it a year ago.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCgeoff View Post

Why don't you want the U-verse internet? Are you getting a really good deal on the Comcrap? I have Directv and U-verse internet and it is 6 Mbps for $35/month which was a much better deal that the comcast internet when I canceled it a year ago.

I've had Time Warner/Comcast cable internet for 10 years now and never had issues with it. For the price its much faster than DSL epecially with the upload speeds. I average 10-14 mbps download and 2-4 mbps upload with it. I do a lot of photo/video uploading plus I stream Netflix movies via my laptop. Part of the maintence fee I pay still goes to Comcast service so I might as well use it as I'm already paying for it.

If Uverse was ever to match those speeds for around $40 a month then I might consider jumping ship.

The main reason I'm moving to for the TV service is Comcast removed my HDNet Movies channel. I got tired of waiting for them to add more HD.

ATT&T need to educate their phone reps though. They nearly lost me as a customer before they had me!

All depends on what ya need I guess.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page