DTV Transition Date Delay - It's final. Again. June 12, 2009. - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #3451 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Wow.
I'm watching an old CSI on CBS right now, and there was a "Programming Update"
For my local CBS, the update states "This Friday at 6:45AM, KHOU-TV will begin broadcasting in only digital."
__
Friday at 6:45 AM for my local CBS here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shutoff is set for 10 AM tomorrow (TOMORROW!!!) for all the local "major" commercial stations: NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, as well as CW and MyNetwork TV.

11:59 PM for our secondary PBS. No word on the primary PBS, which is just thrilled enough to be in full-power digital. Univision may be at 11 PMish.
post #3453 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FCC has finally posted revised list of analog nightlight stations :

Public Notice :

http://www.fcc.gov/DA-09-1303A1.pdf

Appendix (the actual list - Includes end date of nightlight service for each station) :

http://www.fcc.gov/DA-09-1303A2.pdf

Rats, WKEF Dayton was added since May 13 ... Guess I won't be taking out my trap for 22 for a couple more weeks .....

Jeff
post #3454 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'm kind of surprised to see KTSF 26 on the list. There's a lot over overlap in the service area between them and the new KTFK-DT on 26. I thought nightlighting wasn't allowed if the analog station was going to cause significant interference to a digital station.
post #3455 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

FCC has finally posted revised list of analog nightlight stations :

Public Notice :

http://www.fcc.gov/DA-09-1303A1.pdf

Appendix (the actual list - Includes end date of nightlight service for each station) :

http://www.fcc.gov/DA-09-1303A2.pdf

Rats, WKEF Dayton was added since May 13 ... Guess I won't be taking out my trap for 22 for a couple more weeks .....

What is this nightlight BS?!! Just shut the thing off completely at midnight and get this over with. I just don't understand this. I really don't.
post #3456 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Shutoff is set for 10 AM tomorrow (TOMORROW!!!) for all the local "major" commercial stations: NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, as well as CW and MyNetwork TV.

11:59 PM for our secondary PBS. No word on the primary PBS, which is just thrilled enough to be in full-power digital. Univision may be at 11 PMish.

I thought it was midnight. Did they postpone it another 10 hours??
post #3457 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

I thought it was midnight. Did they postpone it another 10 hours??

Do some reading - but the stations can shutdown analog / do their digital moves ANYTIME on June 12 (subject to interference with other stations)

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3458 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Do some reading...

Well excuse me. All over the news, they all said midnight. Even when I was watching the news on NBC today, the reporter said, "midnight tonight, we will go all digital." So, pardon me for being such an annoying brat for asking such a question.
post #3459 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Well excuse me. All over the news, they all said midnight. Even when I was watching the news on NBC today, the reporter said, "midnight tonight, we will go all digital." So, pardon me for being such an annoying brat for asking such a question.

The actual deadline, when the analog transmitter must be shut down, is midnight Friday going into Saturday, but stations can go earlier, starting at midnight Thursday going into Friday.
post #3460 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Let the shutdowns commence!
post #3461 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm being told that ABC O&O WTVG/13 Toledo's transition is now being delayed...by the NBA Finals Game 4, which ended in overtime.

WTVG was supposed to flash cut from analog 13 to digital 13 about 20 minutes ago. The Lakers and Magic slowed 'em down.

My source over there says WTVG did open their delayed 11 PM newscast with a note that the switch will happen in "minutes". Not sure if that means the end of the local news, after Nightline or after Jimmy Kimmel (that'd be a lot of "minutes").
post #3462 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The analog shutdown deadline is 11:59:59 PM on June 12 or midnight Friday night. But most stations appear to be shutting down in the middle of the day which is a more reasonable time.

I want to say that the original date (not counting the never solidly set December, 2006 date) of February 17 - a Tuesday in the middle of winter - was a poorly selected and lousy date for the transition. February 17 was better than the proposed January 1 date, but it was picked with no consideration given to people having to adjust or replace their outdoor antenna and to the TV stations facing tower work in the middle of winter. Despite the confusion and partial shutdown of the last minute delay, having a final shutdown day on Friday gives people the weekend to tweak their antenna setup or get converter boxes. Not as convenient for the station engineers who will have to man the phones through the weekend, but they are getting paid for it. June has warmer weather and more hours of daylight for outdoor rooftop or tower work.

I was not crazy about the last minute delay and the chaos it brought, but the final shutdown date should have been set to a Friday in June or July all along. Oh well, despite all the gnashing of teeth, public complaints, and confusion, it will now be over in less than 24 hours as I write this.

Well, except for the nightlight stations, the low power analog stations and translators, the stations who won't have final/full digital coverage for months because of antenna or tower work, the hue & cry and the OTA viewers who find they need to upgrade their antennas. Except for that, it will be over.
post #3463 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm told WTVG/13 (ABC) Toledo dumped analog "live" on its newscast at about 12:32 AM, and just brought the new DT 13 facility live a minute or two ago.
post #3464 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Your NBC affiliate (or NBC-owned station) may have aired the same news story that the NBC O&O in San Francisco aired on their 5 o'clock news tonight. At least twice in the story, the reporter said that the analog stations would be going off "tonight". The first reference did indeed say "midnight tonight."

Either the story was written incorrectly, or it was supposed to air on Friday.

Patty
post #3465 of 3465 Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A day of reckoning has arrived. The End Of Analog TV In The United States.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page