DTV Transition Date Delay - It's final. Again. June 12, 2009. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I also agree that this is unbelievable. But it seems to me pushing Congress for this is kinda pointless. The stations can turn off their analog signals anytime they want, right? I think a few already have in advance of the shutoff date...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They need to get the funding for more coupons for sure, that seems to be the main problem. The whole transition has been a mess from the beginning. Maybe it would help if they allow some programing along with the digital information during the extended 30 day analog broadcast after the cutoff date, as long as there is no interference with digital transmissions.
post #33 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post

They need to get the funding for more coupons for sure, that seems to be the main problem. The whole transition has been a mess from the beginning. Maybe it would help if they allow some programing along with the digital information during the extended 30 day analog broadcast after the cutoff date, as long as there is no interference with digital transmissions.

That's part of the problem. As a small example, there are digital stations waiting for ajacent analog stations to go off so they can either boost thier output to their allowed max, or begin broadcasting.

Aside from that, there is considerable tower work that must be done by broadcasters who are waiting for the analog signals to disappear.

I do agree that there should be no waiting list for coupons for those who are actually trying to comply with the conversion.

post #34 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No please no don't delay it!
post #35 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So now we can't talk about the tranistion from analog to digital? The problem here is and the mistake the government made is they didn't hire Billy Mays to do a infommercial on the transition! People listen to a loud voice from time to time!

Jeff
post #36 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As we all know, the current 2-17-09 analog cutoff date doesn't prohibit stations from shutting analog off early. If Congress extends the cutoff date to, say, June, they would not be able to mandate analog to remain on the air (as they haven't up to now) because Wilmington, Hawaii, and many individual stations have already, or plan to prior to 2-17-09, shut off analog. I'd like to see the stations, individually and collectively, tell Congress that:

"You can extend the date for mandatory shutoff, but we're shutting off 2-17-09. We're tired of the cost of dual transmitter maintenance, two electric bills, etc. and we have tower crews scheduled, etc."

I'm sure the WABC's, WLS's, KNBC's, etc. really wouldn't do this, but even threatening early action by a significant number of stations might remind Congress that Iraq, falling home values, the auto industry, etc. are probably areas needing more focus right now rather than procrastinating with the analog cutoff.
post #37 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
I'm sticking with my original prediction that the shutoff will result in a "Tempest in a teapot".

A handful of really loud complainers, but the rest of the country will just shrug it off and say "you were warned well ahead of time".
post #38 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I'm sticking with my original prediction that the shutoff will result in a "Tempest in a teapot".

This is getting rather reminiscent of the Y2K scare, isn't it?
post #39 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

As we all know, the current 2-17-09 analog cutoff date doesn't prohibit stations from shutting analog off early. If Congress extends the cutoff date to, say, June, they would not be able to mandate analog to remain on the air (as they haven't up to now) because Wilmington, Hawaii, and many individual stations have already, or plan to prior to 2-17-09, shut off analog. I'd like to see the stations, individually and collectively, tell Congress that:

"You can extend the date for mandatory shutoff, but we're shutting off 2-17-09. We're tired of the cost of dual transmitter maintenance, two electric bills, etc. and we have tower crews scheduled, etc."

I'm sure the WABC's, WLS's, KNBC's, etc. really wouldn't do this, but even threatening early action by a significant number of stations might remind Congress that Iraq, falling home values, the auto industry, etc. are probably areas needing more focus right now rather than procrastinating with the analog cutoff.

The problem is that in many markets, key stations have to leave their current digital channel for another one to move to it.

I can think of at least 1 of these concerning ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in the Top 12 DMA alone - and there are many more.

If one wants to move but cannot because of another, its like a wreck on a road impeding the rest of traffic.
post #40 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

A handful of really loud complainers, but the rest of the country will just shrug it off and say "you were warned well ahead of time".

Well put. Can't state it better.

Be prepared for the flood of people asking "My TV is now all snow on all channels, what do I do ?"
Even without a $40 coupon, the CECBs are a bargain for what they do.

And unless Congress authorizes more coupon funding, the program is essentially over. So maybe the manufacturers can start turning their attention to making a "better" version of the CECBs than we have seen to date. Ones with HD output options, USB / ethernet ports for firmware updates, OTA DVRs.

I'd venture that over 99% of the average AVS membership IS ready.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #41 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

By Kim Hart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 8, 2009; 2:34 PM

President-elect Barack Obama's transition team today asked key members of Congress to consider delaying the nation's switch to digital television scheduled for Feb. 17, saying there is "insufficient support" for the problems consumers will experience during the shut-off of analog signals.

In a letter sent to Capitol Hill this afternoon, and obtained by The Washington Post, the transition team said congressional action is needed. The action would be the "first step" toward helping consumers get ready for the transition to digital television. It also called funds provided to support the conversion "woefully inadequate."

The request for a delay comes 41 days before the government-mandated switch to all-digital broadcasts, which requires the nation's full-powered television stations to permanently shut off the traditional analog signals they have used for more than half a century. Analog television sets that rely on "rabbit ear" or rooftop antennas to receive broadcasts will not work unless they are upgraded with a converter box. Consumers who have digital TV sets, or who subscribe to cable or satellite service, will not lose programming.
post #42 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
MDK

Obama's delay would require an act of Congress, right? Perhaps simple inertia would be enough to keep this needless delay from occurring. This was a transition originally scheduled for the end of 2006, right? Do we really need any longer?

What I figured would be more likely is a bunch of lawyers getting together, filing suit in federal court claiming imminent harm would be caused to an unknown number of people by the shut down, then asking the court for an injunction of indefinite length to "study the problem" while the lawyers cash in. Unfortunately, this could still happen.

We do everything we can to prepare people for the DTV transition. The reality is that no matter how much we do some people will never be ready.
post #43 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

So now we can't talk about the tranistion from analog to digital? The problem here is and the mistake the government made is they didn't hire Billy Mays to do a infommercial on the transition! People listen to a loud voice from time to time!

Jeff

No problem with analog to digital transition talk, some of the comments went beyond that, in my opinion.

The law passed allowing analog to continue for 30 days after the cutoff, is voluntary and I understand will apply to low vhf ch. 2-6.

Some people wont get ready until after cutoff and they say, What happened to, Who's my daddy?
post #44 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
why do you care about this?

who here even uses an analog signal. if you're a member of avs, you are most certainly already using a digital signal.

i don't care if they delay it for a while as it doesn't affect me. given the crappy economy and the ignorance about this change by a significant amount of people, it does seem to make sense to put it off unti more digital converter boxes can get out there.

don't forget the lack of sophistication about digital broadcasts by many people.

what were those polling results. something like 25% of all americans who own a hd tv don't get an hd signal for it and don't even realize it.
post #45 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Because once the DTV transition takes place, more bandwidth will be freed, thus ending in more channels.
post #46 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

In a letter sent to the chairman and ranking members on the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee and the House Energy & Commerce Committee, Podesta said the transition team has found major difficulties in the funds authorized to smooth the transition that may cost consumers millions.

The program to provide consumers with a coupon to defray the cost of the digital-to-analog converter necessary to analog TV's to continue to work has run out of funds, Podesta wrote. As of today, over 1 million coupon requests sit on the wait list, unable to be fulfilled by the Department of Commerce. By early February, projections suggest that number could climb to over 5 million.

Congress set the digital transition deadline in 2005, mandating that all television stations switch their broadcast from analog to digital. Those whose television sets are not adapted for digital broadcasts will not be able to get service after the switch.

The February 17 cutoff date for analog signals should be reconsidered and extended, Podesta concluded. With coupons insufficient, and the most vulnerable Americans exposed, I urge you to consider a change to the legislatively-mandated analog change.
post #47 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

My own $0.02, they will increase funding for the coupons (what the heck they're bailing out everyone and everything else) but not change the date.
post #48 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Political comments deleted. Keep on topic, or suspensions will be handed out.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #49 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Topics merged, title updated.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #50 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
sjv
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
"Womb to the tomb mentality". It's an unpleseant fact that a lot of people will not do anything until they're completely backed into a corner.....and then some of those won't do the change even then! The mentality behind that thinking is....."They have only had well over a year, watching those very annoing crawls on the screen, to make the change........but, that's not long enough! They're so poor and ignorant, let's give them X more months/years and see what happens then!" Guess what.....they will still do NOTHING!! Because they are waiting for "the man" to come and fix it for them. Womb to the tomb!
post #51 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, thousands of PSA's and some will not do anything until their TV's actually go dark.
post #52 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

I believe we'll see free converter boxes handed out. There has been no shortage of complaints that the coupons neglected to cover the full expense of the converter boxes. Come the day after the transition, there will be story after story of those "less-fortunate" losing their ability to watch tv.
post #53 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I still can't find a place to buy leaded gasoline! What happened???
post #54 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM

"The FCC adopted NTSC television engineering standards on May 2, 1941, calling for 525 lines of vertical resolution, 30 frames per second" and... in the last 70 years, they've added COLOR! That's it!

Heck, cell phones from just a few years ago are already obsolete due to progress.

It was time to begin moving forward 20 years ago when I first started reading about the original versions of HDTV.
post #55 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They are basing the need for a delay on the fact that the coupon program is out of money. Don't they understand that the majority of the coupons have not and will not be redeemed. When the people requesting the coupons find out that they still have to come up with $10 or more on their own they fail to buy the converters so when the coupons expire the FCC will see that there is plenty of money unused. JUST WAIT it is just like any give away if it ain't free they don't want it.
post #56 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

who here even uses an analog signal. if you're a member of avs, you are most certainly already using a digital signal.

For me it's because I threw up a couple of antennas a few months ago in preparation for this, but I'm not finalizing the installation, cutting off the cables to appropriate lengths, looking into rotors and extra antennas, et cetera, until everything stabilizes after the analog shutoff. I'd really like to get my setup finalized and secured.
post #57 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

As we all know, the current 2-17-09 analog cutoff date doesn't prohibit stations from shutting analog off early. If Congress extends the cutoff date to, say, June, they would not be able to mandate analog to remain on the air (as they haven't up to now) because Wilmington, Hawaii, and many individual stations have already, or plan to prior to 2-17-09, shut off analog.

Those stations got permission from the FCC to shut off analog early. As part of the transition process, the FCC allowed stations to shut off early starting last fall if they could justify it and if they provided 30 days notice with a lot of on-screen announcements. A licensed station can not willy-nilly shut down it's analog broadcast unless they are willing to risk their license.

There have been a few recent sudden analog shut-downs because of equipment failure where it was just not worth expensive repair with only several months to go. Those stations filed emergency applications to the FCC to go dark. If Congress & the incoming administration blink and delay the transition, we will probably see some more of these as some stations have likely been nursing their analog equipment along figuring it only had to make it until February 17. Just one of the many side-shows to this mess.

I have no problems if the government were to hand out free converter boxes to those who can show need. Buy a million converter boxes (at wholesale I hope) and hand them out at retirement homes, low income communities, to institutions such as prisons who have little budget money for all their TVs, and provide public seminars in churches, meeting halls on how to use them and what they need to know about antennas (starting with the need to have good UHF reception). But it is rather hard to get that going and done in 41 days from scratch. And of course, the Best Buys and Wal-marts won't be happy about the lost business.

Fasten your seatbelts. The transition & the political fuss is going to get very bumpy between now and February 19.
post #58 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

provide public seminars in churches, meeting halls on how to use them and what they need to know about antennas (starting with the need to have good UHF reception).

Many markets need good UHF & VHF reception. VHF is not going away.
post #59 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMatt View Post

I believe we'll see free converter boxes handed out. There has been no shortage of complaints that the coupons neglected to cover the full expense of the converter boxes. Come the day after the transition, there will be story after story of those "less-fortunate" losing their ability to watch tv.

Yea, I can envision retailers offering special deals just to get traffic into the stores . . .

"Get your oil changed for $39.99 and receive a free Digital Converter Box."
post #60 of 3465 Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm wondering about those people who currently only get ghosty analog OTA and then get their converter boxes connected thinking that they are all set for the transition. All that ghosting will cause multipaths and thus no picture from the box. Can you imagine the complaints that will come in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page