DTV Transition Date Delay - It's final. Again. June 12, 2009. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

The cable companies had all agreed to hold off tier changes and a few other things till after the transition to reduce confusion. Are their plans now on hold indefinitely?

Unless there is a separate change, the date was March 17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From Broadcasting & Cable

Quote:

Big Four Networks Don't Mind Delaying Digital Transition

ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS have lined up behind the proposal by the Obama transition team to move the DTV transition date.

By John Eggerton and Marisa Guthrie -- Broadcasting & Cable

Add Fox to the list of networks that is OK with moving the DTV transition date if that's what it takes to successfully move viewers from analog to digital.

Fox parent News Corp. said in a statement Thursday that it "supports any efforts to ensure that the transition to digital television is a success. Our first concern is what’s best for our viewers, and we believe that the Obama-Biden Transition Team shares our concern. We look forward to continuing to work with the Administration, Congress, and the FCC to achieve a smooth DTV transition."

The networks were responding to the request to Congress from the Obama transition team that the DTV transition date be moved, though the Obama camp did not say by how much. It is currently set for Feb. 17, 2009, less than five weeks away. The Bush Administration didn't respond directly, but there were indications it wants to keep the original date.

ABC has said it supports Obama's requests, while CBS says it is, "open to the suggestion," but adds that it is open, "to any suggestion that makes the digital transition easier for our viewers. We look forward to working with the new Administration and Congress to that end.”

NBC supports the move, too. “President-elect Obama's call to extend the DTV transition deadline is prudent and well-considered, helping to ensure that all over-the-air households are ready to receive digital signals on the new transition date. We look forward to working with the new Administration and Congress to implement the President-elect's proposal.,” the network said in a statement.

CBS will proceed as planned given that the February sweeps period has waned in importance, the network's strategy has been to spread out the numbers of original episodes of regular series between February and March. But there are still some big events in February: the Grammys, and the premieres of the latest iterations of Survivor and The Amazing Race. But they do not anticipate any programming changes as a direct result of any proposed or actual transition delay.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #93 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS don't mind delaying? How convenient, considering they don't have people and equipment and such (most likely) already paid for and waiting for the shutoff date - it's all the affiliates who aren't as cash-flush as they are who have to bear the brunt of the cost. They're the ones who'll make or break this, not the major networks who already have done all they need to for the switchover.
post #94 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Uh, they most likely don't have to pay taxes...
post #95 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Surprise everyone... flip the switch during the Super Bowl.
post #96 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Time frame for a bill draft not revealed
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/9/2009 1:28:00 PM
Senator Jay Rockefeller staffers Friday were already working with the Barack Obama transition team on legislation to delay the DTV transition date, according to an aide to the West Virginia Democrat.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6628078.html
post #97 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From Broadcasting & Cable
Quote:

Kennard, Powell Join Call to Delay DTV Transition

Former FCC chairmen support moving Feb. 17 "hard date" in New York Times Op-Ed

By P.J. Bednarski -- Broadcasting & Cable

Former FCC chairmen William Kennard and Michael Powell have joined the growing chorus calling for the federal government to move the Feb. 17 DTV transition date.

In a jointly-written op-ed piece in Friday's edition of The New York Times, Kennard and Powell argue that there's not enough time to get DTV-to-analog converter box coupons to the people who still need them, and that the "government is also unprepared to handle the volume of calls from baffled television viewers once the switch to digital occurs." They also say there may be a shortage of set top boxes that could be severe—from 4 million to 31 million, they say.

Their comments concur with a rising chorus of nay-sayers, including the transition leaders for President-elect Obama, who on Thursday called for postponing the analog shutoff.

"There is no reason to rush toward a fiasco when we can just as well take the time to make sure the change happens smoothly," Kennard and Powell wrote.

Kennard, a Democrat, was chairman from 1997-1991, and Powell, a Republican, from 2001-2005.

post #98 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/2...-mhz-buildout#

Jeffrey Silva

Story posted: January 9, 2009 - 1:12 pm ET

The telecom leadership facelift in Congress continues as lawmakers suddenly find themselves confronted with President-elect Obama's request to postpone next month's digital TV transition, a possible shift that could force wireless providers to wait longer to obtain spectrum they paid nearly $20 billion for in the 700 MHz auction last year.

We are concerned that a delay of the transition date could postpone investment in and deployment of broadband wireless services and decrease confidence in the auction model for spectrum allocation that has generated billions for the U.S. Treasury, said Steve Largent, president of cellular industry association CTIA. In the midst of the current economic struggle, these are important considerations.

A brief DTV transition delay is less problematic for public safety in light of the still-unsettled state of service rules for the re-auction of 700 MHz spectrum for a national interoperable first responder/commercial broadband network.
post #99 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If (and I repeat..... IF) they are going to delay the analog shutdown, then they should prohibit broadcast of any COLOR or STEREO programming on the analog broadcast channels. ONLY TRANSMIT BLACK & WHITE ON ANALOG. Maybe that will get the attention of those that will be affected? "How come I can't get Wheel of Fortune in color anymo' " You wants COLOR, you goes DIGITAL............

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #100 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

If (and I repeat..... IF) they are going to delay the analog shutdown, then they should prohibit broadcast of any COLOR or STEREO programming on the analog broadcast channels. ONLY TRANSMIT BLACK & WHITE ON ANALOG. Maybe that will get the attention of those that will be affected? "How come I can't get Wheel of Fortune in color anymo' " You wants COLOR, you goes DIGITAL............

That is an excellent idea.. Me, I'd run a giant crawl of death across the middle of the screen continuously explaining the transition. However, we'd still get calls from people saying why is that on the screen ...take it down so I can see my shows.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #101 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

That is an excellent idea.. Me, I'd run a giant crawl of death across the middle of the screen continuously explaining the transition. However, we'd still get calls from people saying why is that on the screen ...take it down so I can see my shows.

You say that as though you speak from experience.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #102 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Let's start a poll as to when the analog shutdown will in fact happen. It looks to me like the snowball has rolled down the hill to the point where it ain't gonna happen on February 17.
post #103 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

I'd guess either June 17, 2009, February 17, 2010, or never.
post #104 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

You say that as though you speak from experience. - Trip

Yup.. just ask the guys at WAKA in Montgomery who killed analog 12/1st and still get ~20 calls per day..even after running crawls since April.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #105 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess on what will happen? I don't see a delay until June 17. OTOH, I thought they would actually stick with February 17 once we got past last Nov-Dec. But with so many major players suddenly coming out in favor of a delay, I can see one of those grand political compromises between no delay and the proposed four months, they split the difference and come up with a ~1 to 2 month delay to give more time for the coupons to be refunded and mailed. (Splitting the difference is how we ended up with February 17 in the first place). But I think the TPTB that are pushing for a delay have paid little attention to the impact on the carefully laid plans of the stations and on those who have made the switch to digital OTA reception. However, they probably don't care. I don't think anyone really knows how this is going to play out.
post #106 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Maybe that will get the attention of those that will be affected?

I hope you know that the reason for the delay is not only because people are unprepared, but it's also because the government is running short of coupons/money and they want to make sure there's enough time for people to get a box in case there's a shortage.
post #107 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

An analog shutdown poll has been posted.
post #108 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just emailed my State Rep, Congressman Tim Walz in reference to the DTV transition delay in progress.. Everyone wants to complain, but hardly anyone will email their elected officials, people, this is the first step, to making government conform to your ideology!
Those of us, who want analog to leave, need to get a little political!!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #109 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I'd guess either June 17, 2009, February 17, 2010, or never.

LOL, I have to say with the way things are going, I go for option 3, NEVER!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #110 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

LOL, I have to say with the way things are going, I go for option 3, NEVER!

Yeah, Otaguy should have added "never" to the poll, lol.

Quote:

Everyone wants to complain, but hardly anyone will email their elected officials, people, this is the first step, to making government conform to your ideology!

I think most of us at AVS want the switch to happen as most of us are prepared. However, I'm sure non-AVS members want the delay to happen.
post #111 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Why don't we just get rid of digital and stay analog? That would make this a whole lot easier.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #112 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Why don't we just get rid of digital and stay analog? That would make this a whole lot easier.

Analog = more bandwidth
post #113 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Personally... I don't care what they do. I've had digital OTA since 2002.

If there are people that are "uninformed" (or perhaps procrastinators)... shame on them and pull the plug! They've been warned for a few years and been bombarded with text crawls, PSA's and info/tests from local news for the past year.
post #114 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

I just emailed my State Rep, Congressman Tim Walz in reference to the DTV transition delay in progress.. Everyone wants to complain, but hardly anyone will email their elected officials, people, this is the first step, to making government conform to your ideology!
Those of us, who want analog to leave, need to get a little political!!

I'd suggest not just email, but Snail Mail as well.

Info -
http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #115 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This getting as bad as the bailouts - I wish someone would come out say: "Enough already - we took the decision and we're sticking with it". The most spineless and ill informed politicians deciding this is crazy.
post #116 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I used that new-fangled telephone. It was like talking directly to the secretary there!

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #117 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmglen View Post

... but you'd need to keep the spot from being shown on televisions serviced by cable, satellite, or OTA digital. Basically, if you can see this spot, you're not ready and need to do something now or you're going to lose TV in X days.

-Glen

If by now cable and satellite providers have switched to digital signal inputs, would seem to me that a quick and dirty approach would be to generate these messages directly in front of the transmitter. Surely most stations have some old character generators, computers or whatever can play back a 10 second video message. Then have it set to interrupt the regular video feed every 15 minutes.

It wouldn't need to be pretty or sync up. We might even see some ol fashioned vertical roll. It would be nice and intrusive and direct people to websites or recorded phone messages.

Of course, there's the matter of funding more coupons. BTW, where's the poll posted?

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #118 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post

BTW, where's the poll posted?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1106591
post #119 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

Let's start a poll as to when the analog shutdown will in fact happen.

You must be kidding. With the events of the last few days in mind, I think it's safe to say no one knows, because now, even if they pick a new date, that too is subject to last minute change.

Like I first said, I don't believe it.

post #120 of 3465 Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Only 6 out of the first 15 poll voters think it's going to be in February.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page