HDMI Signal Booster - Any Experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I moved from HDMI to DVI recently due to a new FIOS cable box and now I'm experiencing green snow/noise on my HD channels. The HDMI output is being converted to DVI. I have approx. 35 feet of DVI cable in between my projector and video sources (STB and DVD player). I suspect that I need an HDMI signal booster. When I remove the long cable span and plug directly into my projector, the green snow/noise is gone.

Does anyone have any experience with HDMI signal boosters? I saw one on buy.com for $45 that seemed to be suited just for my issue. Any advice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. HDMI and DVI are digital, so you either get a perfect picture or you don’t. If you see any noise in the picture, then perhaps it’s the source.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

It's not the source. I tried both the cable box and the DVD player and both produce the same results. When they plug directly into the projector, there is no green snow. When they go through the 30 ft of DVI cable, the snow re-appears.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. HDMI and DVI are digital, so you either get a perfect picture or you don't. If you see any noise in the picture, then perhaps it's the source.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a Monster cable.

rofo_rob...
35' is pretty long for DVI/HDMI. What make cable/gauge cable? You may want to check Monoprice.com and get a heavier gauge cable.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a Monster cable.

rofo_rob...
35' is pretty long for DVI/HDMI. What make cable/gauge cable? You may want to check Monoprice.com and get a heavier gauge cable.

Sure, he can get that, if he wants, but I doubt it will get rid of the noise because HDMI is not supposed to have noise since it's digital.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Sure, he can get that, if he wants, but I doubt it will get rid of the noise because HDMI is not supposed to have noise since it's digital.

H-m-m-m...
Can you clarify? Your uncle bought a Monster cable (on your recommendation) and there was a "night and day difference".
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=164
Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

H-m-m-m...
Can you clarify? Your uncle bought a Monster cable (on your recommendation) and there was a "night and day difference".
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=164

Yeah, because he was experiencing picture dropouts, not noise.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15433680

Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would follow Ratman's advice and get a heavier gauge cable. Over a distance of 35 ft the cable can definitely make a difference. The green snow/noise described by the original poster is often referred to as sparkles and is an indication of problems with an HDMI or DVI cable.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Replacing the cable is NOT an option. The 35 ft cable is embedded in my walls and can't be removed without knocking out the dry wall. I laid the DVI cable while they were finishing my basement before it was walled in.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you experience any issues/problems prior to changing to FiOS? What was the interface before (cable/satellite)? How did FiOS affect the DVD performance?

If replacing/running a new/better(?) cable is NOT an option, I guess a "booster" would be the next step. And... hope for positive results.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Before switching to FIOS, I was running my Comcast output to the projector via direct DVI since their set-top boxes had that connection. Upon upgrading to FIOS, their set-top boxes only have an HDMI output, along with component of course. So I simply bought an HDMI to DVI converter and hooked everything up. That's when the green snow (sparkles) started. Surprisingly enough, this does not occur when using component. Same cable length applies.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Component and DVI/HDMI are two different cable types.

Again... how did this affect DVD performance?

IMO... if all worked well with DVI out to DVI in with the Comcast box, it should be okay with a FiOS STB. I'd question the "quality" of your DVI/HDMI adapter cable.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I can't comment on the DVD performance because I've always used component to the projector for my DVD player. There is dedicated DVI and component to the projector. DVI was setup for my cable box and DVI for the DVD player. Since my recent sparkle woes started, I've been forced to use one component connection for both my DVD player and cable box, moving the cables between the two depending on what I'm watching.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofo_rob View Post

I tried both the cable box and the DVD player and both produce the same results. When they plug directly into the projector, there is no green snow. When they go through the 30 ft of DVI cable, the snow re-appears

Based on your opening post (and the probable typo in the post above ), I assumed you tried DVD and got the same results using DVI and the DVI to HDMI adpater.

Either way... start with a new/better DVI/adapter. If not... try a booster. If that's not good, your options are pretty limited.