Tallest recommended roof mount tripod for outdoor OTA antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some opinions from folks on this thread that have experience with this. We're located north of Toronto, about 90 miles from the Buffalo transmitters which we are attempting to pick up. We already know this is possible since the signal carries well over Lake Ontario. However, we have some obstacles. Our roof is approximately 30 feet to its peak, but there is a line of trees about 150-200 feet south of us (in our line of sight) that tops out at around 40-42 feet.

My wife is against any sort of tall ground-based antenna mast, so I'm looking at roof tripods. Some local installers have provided feedback that they do not recommend going with anything more than an 8 foot mast on a roof tripod in case of ice/wind causing instability or stressing the tripod past its breaking point. But I would really like 10-12 feet to get a bit of extra height and margin in my reception.

Now the question - does anyone know of a roof tripod mount that can safely handle a 10-12 foot mast, including wind/snow/ice effects? I'm planning on using a 4228A or 4228HD single antenna, so the weight shouldn't be excessive (~10 pounds). If there's something more rugged than the standard tripods, I'd be interested in learning about them, though google has disappointed me in my search thus far.

Anyways, it would definitely be easier to convince the wife to add a few more feet to the mast when her soaps are breaking up than to erect a tower Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Channel Master's recommendations: http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/AntInstallGuide.pdf

Page 11

Tripods, as noted earlier, are a stronger, more rigid
type of roof mount. The most common tripod mounts
are 3, 5, and 10 feet high. The 3 foot tripod is most
commonly used.
A tripod mount can be installed and leveled before
the mast is inserted. It should always be mounted so
that the antenna can be folded down along the peak
of the roof. This will enable you to lower it more easily
should repairs or adjustments become necessary
in the future. Even though tripods are very stable, any
tripod-mounted mast over 10 feet high should be
guyed.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tczernec View Post

Some local installers have provided feedback that they do not recommend going with anything more than an 8 foot mast on a roof tripod in case of ice/wind causing instability or stressing the tripod past its breaking point.

Now the question - does anyone know of a roof tripod mount that can safely handle a 10-12 foot mast, including wind/snow/ice effects? I'm planning on using a 4228A or 4228HD single antenna, so the weight shouldn't be excessive (~10 pounds). If there's something more rugged than the standard tripods, I'd be interested in learning about them, though google has disappointed me in my search thus far.

First a 4228 is not a light antenna. A Terrestrial Digital 91XG UHF Antenna (91XG) is a big antenna for UHF and is 6.5 pounds. More gain, but a smaller 3db beamwidth.

What is the spread in degrees between all the UHF towers you are trying to hit?

If you don't know, go to http://tvfool.com and plug in your address.

Or grab the image and paste it here for the digital after transition.

You may be able to use a much smaller antenna. I don't have the experience what snow and ice do. But in Florida our big thing is only wind, where once could add guy wires. I have seen a lot of installs with 50ft pushup masts in Florida on a tripod on the roof. But they had 3 sets guys in 3 directions.

- Please don't PM with any thing that could be useful to the general group.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tczernec View Post

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some opinions from folks on this thread that have experience with this. We're located north of Toronto, about 90 miles from the Buffalo transmitters which we are attempting to pick up. We already know this is possible since the signal carries well over Lake Ontario. However, we have some obstacles. Our roof is approximately 30 feet to its peak, but there is a line of trees about 150-200 feet south of us (in our line of sight) that tops out at around 40-42 feet.

My wife is against any sort of tall ground-based antenna mast, so I'm looking at roof tripods. Some local installers have provided feedback that they do not recommend going with anything more than an 8 foot mast on a roof tripod in case of ice/wind causing instability or stressing the tripod past its breaking point. But I would really like 10-12 feet to get a bit of extra height and margin in my reception.

Anyways, it would definitely be easier to convince the wife to add a few more feet to the mast when her soaps are breaking up than to erect a tower Anyone have any ideas?

the longest tv mast sections i recall in the usa are 10 ft. you shouldn't go 10 ft. with out support.

i have seen old roof tripods that are 5 or 6 ft. a 10 ft. mast section inserted 4 ft. or so into that could work unguyed. all i've seen in current ones are shorties.

don't know where to find those. you may have to look at a tower vendor and have shipped. you could look to a tower vendor that sells ham radio towers and use a tower top section, those are higher than current short tv tripods.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have done 12ft above the peak of the roof without guy wires with a 91XG/Y1317 antennas on a 3ft tripod, but do not recommend, the not having guy wires, a good wind prolly could pull it out of the roof....
Do you have access to the underside of the roof? If so, you can use regular bolts with large fender washers on the bottom side and add 2x4 bracing to the rafters or trusses to make sure that the tripod does not leave the roof with a hole in a wind storm... If you were to go with a 10ft tripod, well braced from below, guy wires would prolly not be needed, and you could prolly get 15ft of height or more out of a 10ft tripod with strong mast...

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Liked: 32
As a kid we lived at the bottom of a hill in a small valley...2 story home had a 5ft tri-pod and 20ft mast with a massive antenna on a rotor...This was guyed...I removed the whole thing - it had not been used in years - a few years back before my father passed away and it was a real bitch to do by myself...Don't forget there is more weight than just the antenna...Don't forget about the added weight of the mast and rotor if you use one...which for what you want to do I highly recommend...

With my dads setup we were the only house in the area that could get PERFECT reception of ALL available channels...even from other cities...with no pre-amp...I don't think they had consumer pre-amps back then but I could be wrong...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your feedback - I will take all your feedback into account. Seems like I should be able to do 10 feet without guying.

Piggie - see the attached for my tvfool plots. I have 2 main transmitter locations: the near one is the CN Tower in Toronto which at 22 miles I would pick up off a sidelobe on the CM4228. The main lobe would point at Buffalo, which ranges from 66 to 97 miles depending on the transmitter. The difference in bearing b/w the two is between 30 and 38 degrees, again depending on the specific transmitter. I'd point at the weakest, which is NBC at 38 degrees offset from the CN tower.

Based on similar results in my area, people use the same technique and can pick up the local stations with sidelobes and just point the main lobe over the lake at Buffalo. It seems like the 4228 is the antenna everyone agrees is the 'best' of the consumer-grade antennae.

Looking forward to finally being able to watch Superbowl without our oppressive CRTC (similar to FCC) substituting Canadian ads in place of the American ones! Too bad I won't have it set up for this year - it will have to wait for 2010..
LL
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page