TV Guide OnScreen issues for all devices: TV's, STB's, DVD Recorders & DVR's - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your devices TVGOS customized channel list 'reset' for no apparent reason?
Yes, many times using a CATV host channel 0 0%
Yes, many times using a OTA host channel 0 0%
Yes, but rarely using a CATV host channel 0 0%
Yes, but rarely using a OTA host channel 0 0%
Once or twice using a CATV host channel 0 0%
Once or twice using a OTA host chanel 0 0%
Never, using a CATV host channel 0 0%
Never, using a OTA host channel 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The existing TVGOS threads in the RPTV & Recorders forums only address specific devices. I feel one should be created under a more 'general' category in the 'Programming' forum considering these are program listings we are talking about.

The orginal RPTV TVGOS thread is here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=510125

Threads that deals with specific recorders and STB's;
http://www.spiffspace.com/forum/index.php
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=537711
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

TVGOS in general;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1093923

Macrovision has a website you can create an account (no personel infomation is needed) and ask questions and look through their somewhat limited FAQ's;
http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...ge=std_alp.php

For those that don't know, Gemstar who was the orginal owner, sold TVGOS last May to Macrovision;
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...r_TV_Guide.php
Many don't know this, including some consumer manufacture support departments (among others). Even in the TVGOS diagnostic screens, Gemstar is still referred to.

Originally, Gemstar used PBS affilates to transmit the data. Two years ago, CBS signed a deal with (then) Gemstar to do so;
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...e_IPG_Data.php
That doesn't necessary mean only CBS stations will be carrying the data. It's up to the station and their corporate owner if they want to bother. Example, in the Buffalo market, the PBS affilate has apparently came to an aggrement to continue to supply the data through their digital channel, since the CBS affilate, and their owner Lynn Broadcasting, didn't want to bother.

Anyway, this question has to do with the Guide resetting itself with no intervention on your part. No power failurtes or loss of CATV or OTA signal for any reason. The channel list goes back to it's default state (which is a smorgasbord that takes hours to straighten out).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

reserved

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Where are all the TVGOS users??

post #4 of 22 Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No resets currently with the new firmware from Mitsubishi. Used to get resets when I was trying to force digital host.

TVGOS_Device: Mitsubishi WD-57831 DLP HDTV v8.03
TVGOS_Version/Patch: 08.01.71/08.06.44
TVGOS_Source: Cable
CableCard_or_STB: CableCard
TVGOS_HOST_ID: 0x13
TVGOS_HOST_Channel: 0:0-90 Analog PBS KVIE
TVGOS_Channels_Available: 496
TVGOS_Channels_Enabled: 45
Days_of_Listings: All but day 8 right now
post #5 of 22 Old 01-28-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Seems to be a CC issue.

post #6 of 22 Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

The Magic 8 Ball posted a link ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...#post15676678" ) to a technical doc from Macrovision/Gemstar.

Best I can figure is Comcast isn't transmitting the correct VCT, so I'll try going OTA for CBS digital HOST Channel sometime this week.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

No resets currently with the new firmware from Mitsubishi. Used to get resets when I was trying to force digital host.

TVGOS_Device: Mitsubishi WD-57831 DLP HDTV v8.03
TVGOS_Version/Patch: 08.01.71/08.06.44
TVGOS_Source: Cable
CableCard_or_STB: CableCard
TVGOS_HOST_ID: 0x13
TVGOS_HOST_Channel: 0:0-90 Analog PBS KVIE
TVGOS_Channels_Available: 496
TVGOS_Channels_Enabled: 45
Days_of_Listings: All but day 8 right now

Since I have no recordings pending for this device and won't be watching it for a couple days, I reset it to get TVGOS via OTA (over the air) vs. via Comcast Digital Cable w/CC which I'm currently using as quoted above.

I disabled all analog channels on the OTA tuner and in the guide (TVGOS channel edit) first, switched the TVGOS input device from the Cable w/CC ANT input to the OTA ANT input (in MENU->NetCommand->TVGuide for those with same device), reset my zip to 99999, exited, then went back in and set zip correctly.

I'll leave it alone until tomorrow evening (or whenever I can check again) and take a peek at the TVGOS diag screen to see if it picked up on the OTA digital CBS as host (or any host, for that matter).

Where's that emoticon for "keeping fingers crossed"?

FYI - for outsiders with TVGOS reading this. We're all wondering what will happen post-digital TV transition time and are testing our devices to see if they'll get TVGOS data from the digital feeds (mainly CBS, as we're told) which are supposedly broadcasting that TVGOS data now.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

bwall23; Have you confirmed that your digital 'host' is up and running??

post #9 of 22 Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Nope, it locked on to PBS analog again. Guess I''l just wait for 2/17 and see what happens.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 AM

I had the 12 blinking blue light issue on my 150fd and pioneer replaced the main board.
Seem to solve the problem,but no tvg.
Then recently it started again with the blinking lights and then all of a sudden my tvg started to work but now I have gotten the reset once during normal tv watching and once watching a movie on my bdp05!!!!

Any one have this same problem?
post #11 of 22 Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try your TV thread.

post #12 of 22 Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Working on a theory. Have you locked onto a digital host with your Mits?

Our CBS/CW station here is brodcasting off different antenna/freq/channel depending on time of day for last 3 months in order to get their (and other broadcasters) digital antenna installed on the towers. I think the way they are splitting their digital broadcast (digital subchannels, i.e. -1, -2, -3, -4, etc.) for the stations involved is playing havoc with TVGOS and it gets confused. Of course, I have no inside info from Macrovision(Gemstar), the broadcasters involved obviously have no clue, Mits definitely has no clue, what was my point?

OhYeah, that theory. Well, I'm working on it as I have time (this is tedious).
post #13 of 22 Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, it's not running yet.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have an LG LST-3410A HD-PVR. It has lots of issues related to guide, no listings, the dreaded AV1 error so it doesn't perform scheduled recordings, occasional (major) clock errors. The only error it has never thrown is loss/reset of channel list.

TVGOS (vers 7) is OTA from local PBS affiliate. I'm hoping it will be more reliable when it has no TVGOS at all. (It has manual clock set and VCR-style programming available)
post #15 of 22 Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 PM

I set up my Sony RDR-HX715 several years ago, with no problems. All of a sudden, right after the start of 2009 I noticed the listing was "different". I have set it up again (about 10 days ago) and so far so good.

CA GUY
post #16 of 22 Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

post #17 of 22 Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

OK, so it wasn't Ken in charge of that area, it was David and that thread has now idled down to 300 baud
post #18 of 22 Old 02-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm tired of being the last poster here. Someone else post please
post #19 of 22 Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I guess the ones with the feature don't want to bother with it or just don't come to this sub forum. One problem is this comes under multiple devices; RPTV's, LCD TV's, Plasma TV's, two DVR's, some DVD Recorders, and possibly some VCR's (though I don't know of any).

Anyway, it's just another poorly thought out consumer product with little or no support. Add to that, very little promotion from the manufactures and TV Guide themselves that has to go up against the typical lazy American that wants instant results. 95% don't want to bother with anything that requires work. If they couldn't/wouldn't program a clock on a VCR, they sure as hell won't/can't deal with this. You can also add the MSO's going out of their way to 'con' the customer into thinking thay have to rent their STB as opposed to using a CC (on the sets that had that feature).

post #20 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM

My local PBS discontinued analog broadcasting 02/17/2009 as per original schedule. The local CBS affiliate was contacted about TVGOS and basically they said no one had told them anything about CBS carrying the digital TVGOS data stream so they aren't even working on it! You can bet CBS is collecting the ad revenue just the same! I guess Cable subscribers are first priority and OTA is at the bottom of the heap as usual.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Point them to Macrovision's site with a phone call and e-mail.
The CBS affilate in this market could care less courtesy of their parent company Lyn Broadcasting. Our PBS affilate picked up the ball and is now providing the data on their digital channel along with their analog channel as they have done in the past.

post #22 of 22 Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else notice this discrepancy?

I'm in an area that observes Daylight Savings Time.
Right now, I'm on Standard time.
The transition to Daylight Savings Time occurs at 2AM on 3/8/2009.

My TVGOS download Timer (DLTimer) in diag screen VBI Data-VBI Info shows the next scheduled download at 02:46:00 (which is 18:26:00 in my time zone).

However, I have no entry in the download schedule (VBIDLSched) in diag screen VBI Data-VBIDLSched that matches that time. The closest in the download schedule is 01:46, which leads me to believe that the download timer and download schedules are tracking DST and STD time seperately.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page