Help with DirecTV 771 signal message - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my setup, I have 4 receivers, 2xStandard, 1xHD, 1xHD-DVR, 5-lnb dish, and an 8-port zinwell multi-switch.

Everything was working perfectly. Then suddenly on Friday Night, the 2 standard receivers stopped working completely and gave me the 771 signal message, not a single channel works on either one. I then found that at the same time, the other 2 receivers which are the HD receivers are working perfectly fine, except after I look through, one of the local sports stations (SunHD) also gave me a 771 signal message when I tried to watch it on both the HD receivers. What's funny is that I could still see the other local sports channel (FSN-FLHD), that one works fine.

First thing I did was check the signal on every receiver, and every receiver gave me the same results. Even the 2 standard receivers that don't work at all on any channel.

Sat: 101 - almost 100 on every odd # transponder, 0 on every even # transponder.
Sat: 110 - almost 100 on transponder 8,10,12, N/A on all the others.
Sat: 119 - N/A from all transponders 21 and below, almost 100 from transponder 22 and above, except for 25,29,31 which are 0.
Sat: 99(c) - Up to transponder 14, almost 100 for odd #, 0 for even #. All transponders above 14 are N/A.
Sat: 99(s) - 0 or N/A for everything except transponder 15,21,23 gave me 100 signal
Sat: 103(s) - 0 or N/A for everything, except transponder 3,5 gave me less than 30 signal, and 16,20,21 gave me 60 signal.
Sat: 103(c) - All transponders up to 14 gave me a 70 signal, all above 14 were N/A

I checked every connection to the multi-switch and at the receivers, I reset and re-did satellite setups on all the receivers, everything was still the same. I then tried to swap the cables on the ports of the multi-switch and nothing changed either.

My confusion is, if it were a sat or multi-switch problem, then wouldn't all of the receivers have the same issue? Then if it were a problem with the receiver, it's too much of a coincidence that all at the same time, 2 receivers go out completely, and the other 2 lose signal on 1 specific channel.

I'd appreciate any troubleshooting advice to see what else I can try, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looks like you lost a bank of LNB's on the 101. Try bypassing the multiswitch temporarily to see if it corrects your problem. If it does, replace the switch, if it doesn't, you may have a bad LNB on the dish.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Actually, this could also be a bad coax from the sat to the multiswitch. I had a similar problem, and it was a corroded F connector. You can see if it is by removing one cable at at time coming into the multiswitch to see if it reproduces the numbers you are getting (that is, removing one wire won't [or may not if it's intermittent] make a difference). If that is the case, that cable should be inspected and either have the connectors or entire cable replaced.

SMK
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If it's a bank of LNB's that are bad, wouldn't I not be able to see a bunch of channels on the other 2 HD receivers? Because on those I can still see them all except for the couple I mentioned above.

Either way i'll try bypassing the switch to see what happens.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, the term I should have used is bank of transponders. And yes you should see the equivalent SD channels missing on your HD receivers also if it's an LNB issues vs cabling or the multiswitch.

Matt
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

Sorry, the term I should have used is bank of transponders. And yes you should see the equivalent SD channels missing on your HD receivers also if it's an LNB issues vs cabling or the multiswitch.

Oh alright, i'll have to check the equivalent SD channels because I have them hidden
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so today I get home, and when I turn on the TV's, everything is working!. All the SD and HD Channels are working on every receiver.

But it didn't last, around 10-11, everything went out again as it did before.
Then I checked my HD receivers, and none of the SD channels on the HD receivers worked. Only the HD channels work. So does that mean it's likely an LNB that's gone bad, or is there still a possibility it could be the multi-switch?

I'm gonna try and by-pass the multi-switch anyway tomorrow, it's been raining all day here so I couldn't check it today.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It could still be the dish, multiswitch and/or bad connection.

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

It could still be the dish, multiswitch and/or bad connection.

Well I woke up this morning, and everything is now working properly again, go figure. So i'll have to wait and see if it goes out again to check for problems.

It went out again just a little bit ago, so I by-passed the multi-switch, and it was in fact that. one of the ports isn't working, as soon as I bypassed it and connected the cables directly it worked perfectly. So i'll have to replace it, thanks for the help