Setup HDTV Antenna to Satellite - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > Setup HDTV Antenna to Satellite
MagnumVP's Avatar MagnumVP 10:13 AM 02-04-2009
Today I'm receiving my HD antenna and will be attempting to point it in the correct direction to get the best reception. I currently have a VIP 722 HD Receiver from Dish Network. I have two questions.

1. Do I plug the HD Antenna cable at the actual dish so the entire house gets HD? Then spit the Coax at the receiver to plug both in? The VERY BASIC attachment gives an idea of what I'm referring too.

2. Do I have to worry "much" about the upward direction of the antenna? I'm aware that compass degrees matter, but what about pointing vertical (not how high off the ground)? Can I just "eye" it level or should it be pointing upward a little?
LL

IDRick's Avatar IDRick 11:11 AM 02-04-2009
To diplex or not to diplex with your dish is a great question and depends on your signal strengths. If you are near your broadcast towers and have an easy reception situation, then diplexing can be a good idea. If your signal strengths are marginal, it can be a disaster to diplex in with your dish because you lose some signal overhead with the diplexers. IMO, it is better to keep the two antenna separate from the satellite dish. YMMV. Post your tvfool results and we can make a better assessment of your situation.

It is generally best to have the antenna level but there are situations where you can put an upward tilt on some antennas such as the Antenna Direct XG-91. Which antenna are you using?
MagnumVP's Avatar MagnumVP 11:16 AM 02-04-2009
My antenna is a Winegard HD 7694P High Definition VHF/UHF HDHD769 Series Antenna.

Here are the results from TVfool.com.

My only other question that I have is should I attache it to my chimney (highest point of the house) or can I attache it to the eve next to the dish?
LL
IDRick's Avatar IDRick 11:54 AM 02-04-2009
Very good signal strengths in your area. The Winegard 7694 is a great choice for your location. Good job! I would install the antenna to the chimney rather than near the eve by the dish. If the dish and antenna are "too close", they become "one antenna" and it could impact your OTA reception. The antenna should be probably 5 or more feet higher in the air than the dish and say 10 to 15 away horizontally. Others may have different guidelines. Have you planned your grounding approach yet for your antenna? General guidance can be found at: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

Good luck!

Rick
gjvrieze's Avatar gjvrieze 12:06 PM 02-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post

My antenna is a Winegard HD 7694P High Definition VHF/UHF HDHD769 Series Antenna.

Here are the results from TVfool.com.

My only other question that I have is should I attache it to my chimney (highest point of the house) or can I attache it to the eve next to the dish?

Higher is almost always better, if you can SAFELY mount it to the chimney, I would get up past the peak of the house if possible.... With signals as strong as yours, I think you could use a diplex system with ease... (putting the antenna into higher signal will more then make up for the loss of the diplexers...)
MagnumVP's Avatar MagnumVP 12:07 PM 02-04-2009
Thank you for the information. It will greatly assist me in figuring out where to place the antenna.

Currently both my cable internet and Dish Satellite are already grounded using http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2150592

If I decide to diplex it will before the block. See the attachment.
LL
gjvrieze's Avatar gjvrieze 01:09 PM 02-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post

Thank you for the information. It will greatly assist me in figuring out where to place the antenna.

Currently both my cable internet and Dish Satellite are already grounded using http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2150592

If I decide to diplex it will before the block. See the attachment.

Looks good to me Just remember to put the block before the cable enters the house and seal the connections VERY good!
Up
Mobile  Desktop