Bought new flat screen TV, now have new channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new flat screen TV and when i hooked it up i know have an extreme amount of new channels all with weird numbers. i.e. 104-309, 106-9 ect...
What are these channels and why do i suddenly have them with this new TV. I only subscribe to the basic cable package from Comcast and do not have a cable box, i just use the cable out of the wall and directly plug it in the TV>
Why are the channels not the standard numbers for these stations?

thanks

PS: I am ignorant to tv technology so please dont use lots of acronyms, if you can help it.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Most likely you're new tv has a QAM tuner and it's picking up "in the clear" channels.

They are unscrambled.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know why the channel numbers are different? Is that because i dont have a cable box to convert the channels to Comcasts numbers?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, without a box the channel numbers will probably be the actual RF channel numbers.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM

If the TV does not see the "Virtual Number" of a channel, it will display the "Actual" number.
That is the first number. The second number is called a sub channel. You are
right about the cable box. It converts the Actual channel number and sub channel numbers to a single number listed in Comcast's Channel guide. Don't get too comfortable with these channels. Comcast changes them quite often. The cable box handles any reassignments when they occur. This makes channel reassignments invisible to cable box users.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoshia View Post

Do you know why the channel numbers are different? Is that because i dont have a cable box to convert the channels to Comcasts numbers?

that's exactly right!!! see, you know more than you thought you did!

you may be aware of this already but keep in mind these are DIGITAL cable chs. it may be simpler for you to think of QAM as digital cable. and remember that it's different from ATSC= digital over-the-air chs(OTA).

so you're getting any digital ch Comcast isn't scrambling. my guess is you get your local networks plus any independent stations, the music chs, & perhaps chs like the weather ch or WGN.

good news-at least some of these chs give you access to HD programming. bad news-you'll pretty much have to figure out which ch #'s go with which programming.

did you do a digital cable ch scan when you setup your new TV? you'll need to if you want to use the remote's up/down button to scan thru the chs. once you've done this(& figured out what #'s go with what chs) you can use the add/remove feature to keep only the chs you watch in the tuner memory & just surf thru them.

also there's no way I'm aware of to change the ch mapping-unless you rent one of Comcast's cable boxes & don't use the TV tuner.

BTW the subject of this thread really belongs in the HDTV Technical forum, so any future questions re: your TV, your cable access, or digital TV tech in general should be asked there. where you'll likely get much more info than you wanted!!!

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moved.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all your help. this really helps clear things up!

Carmella
post #9 of 11 Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM

One last thing...they are called "flat panel" and not "flat screen"...sorry could not help it

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoshia View Post

... and when i hooked it up i know have an extreme amount of new channels all with weird numbers. i.e. 104-309, 106-9 ect...
What are these channels and why do i suddenly have them with this new TV. I only subscribe to the basic cable package from Comcast...

Zoshia, if you gave us some location information, we could help a little more. Go to http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels and enter your zipcode for some help.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

Zoshia, if you gave us some location information, we could help a little more. Go to http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels and enter your zipcode for some help.

Silicon Dust is not very accurate, because cableco's change QAM channel locations on a somewhat regular basis. It's much better to simply ask in the local topic for your area, to be found in this master local topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

The list is first by TV market size, then alphabetical by state.

Or for instant results, do a digital channel scan on your HDTV, surf through the channels, and make your own list.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page