TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1484 Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just today I saw a older Sony VCR that had the guide + at a pawn shop for $10 Unfortunately it didn't include the remote, something that I would think would be imperative for the TVGOS operation. Don't confuse guide + with the separate VCR +. VCR + was just a way to program a VCR or DVDR using number codes instead of the actual start/stop/channel numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1484 Old 06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just today I saw a older Sony VCR that had the guide + at a pawn shop for $10 Unfortunately it didn't include the remote, something that I would think would be imperative for the TVGOS operation. Don't confuse guide + with the separate VCR +. VCR + was just a way to program a VCR or DVDR using number codes instead of the actual start/stop/channel numbers.

If the Guide + works like more recent TVGOS, the TVGOS can be operated completely via standard buttons, after it is reached via the menu button...e.g., using the inexpensive Sony universal remote (660? that can be bought at Best Buy, etc, for 25 bucks...)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #363 of 1484 Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I see oldsyd is in "Eastern Iowa" if that's NE Iowa it's probably not much more than 2hrs to Minneapolis. I'm pretty sure I've seen that same VCR for several months, I think it started out at $20. At this pawn shop anyway VCRs move at a snails pace, I don't even know why they bother with them. I'd be surprised if they pay more than a couple bucks for them if they can sell them so cheap. Many like the Sony were probably several hundred dollars new. This VCR also seemed to be missing the IR blaster but had the jack. I'm not sure if that would be needed for a converter box setup. I believe a IR blaster is ~$15 online.
post #364 of 1484 Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 PM

I'm in Cedar Rapids, thanks for the tips. Now that I know Guide Plus has a shot with TVGOS data, I can widen my search.

I did find some TV's in my search with Guide +, but I think you were right, they were fairly big CRT's, that wouldn't fit on the dresser I'm using now.

A VCR would fit nicely and do the trick!
post #365 of 1484 Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi all- checking in after a long absence from this board.

My unit is an LG 41LB1DR - one of the *few* LG televisions with built-in TVGOS. Nifty thing is, this tv has a built-in DVR.

Anyhoo-- The TVGOS on this unit is indeed V08.01.65 - so it supposedly meets the specs to slice tvgos data from the digital airwaves. Starting soon after the June cutover, all my guide data vanished.

SUPPOSEDLY, CBS 58.1 has digital tvgos data in the Milwaukee area, but I can't confirm they're actually broadcasting it.

Last night I resorted to changing my guide zip to 00000, tonight I'll change it back to the proper local zip code. I will report back her when, if, my tv gets guide data so it can be added to the database//sticky.

I partially suspect that my particular unit "only" listens to the analog tuner for the tvgos in the VBI- but I can't confirm that, and a call I plced to LG months back had the answer "yes" to that the DVR/TVGOS setup is/will be digital capable.

The jury is still out.
post #366 of 1484 Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post

Hi all- checking in after a long absence from this board.

My unit is an LG 41LB1DR - one of the *few* LG televisions with built-in TVGOS. Nifty thing is, this tv has a built-in DVR.

Anyhoo-- The TVGOS on this unit is indeed V08.01.65 - so it supposedly meets the specs to slice tvgos data from the digital airwaves. Starting soon after the June cutover, all my guide data vanished.

SUPPOSEDLY, CBS 58.1 has digital tvgos data in the Milwaukee area, but I can't confirm they're actually broadcasting it.

are you able to get to diagnostic screens to check what's going on? (Go to the TV Guide screen, scroll up to highlight listings at the top, scroll over to setup, scroll down one place, and enter the code 753159853 on the number pad, taking you to a matrix of diagnostic screens...scrolling 1 right will take you to basic info, including host channel.

If, before you do this, you tune to the supposed digital TVGOS channel, when you first get to the diagnostic screens, if you scroll DOWN 2 or 3 screens to the ATSC slicer screen, you should see some non-zero numbers in the current channel column IF that channel is AT THAT TIME broadcasting digital TVGOS...

you ought to check those things out...it's quite possible that your host channel will show as blank since Friday (based on our experience with the Sony 250 DVR...)

IF you are seeing counts on the ATSC slicer screen, it is also possible that you can get data by tuning your unit to the digital TVGOS station AND LEAVING THE UNIT ON, e.g., in the AM or early afternoon, because there are 8 digital download periods a day...

You can always come back to this thread (or go to the SONY 250 thread) for some suggestions...though many people there are getting day to day digital listings, but without actually locking onto the digital channel as host...

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #367 of 1484 Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

Left the DTVPal+ in TVGOS mode attached to my Mits TV all week. Checked today and the Mits still has 8 days of listings.

Now to see if it can keep updated without the DTVPal+.

I disconnected the DTVPal+ from the TV, so the TV is ONLY connected to my OTA UHF antenna.

After 8 days it had lost all listings.

On May 31st, I reset it and went all digital again.

Although it found it's zipcode packet after 5 days, it still hasn't got a software update, grid or listings after 18 days yet.
post #368 of 1484 Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Just wondering....

Are there ANY version 7 TVGOS devices working with the SCTE127 data either OTA or through their local cable companies???

It seems to me that very few people have reported success in getting their version 7 devices to work with the new system that MV has put in place.

I have two version 7 devices:
LG's LST341a and Philips' HDRW720. Both are connected to Comcast analog cable (not digital basic) with no cable box. Not sure it matters but both TV's they are connected to are analog as well. Macrovision insists they should be working with the SCTE127 data but...

Both seem to be getting plenty of A and B packets. I recently did a 653274147 reset according to MV's instructions.
(WARNING: this reset deletes the firmware updates and all channel and lineup information!!!)

It took both units over two weeks to regain their firmware updates. The
3410a has yet to regain a channel lineup selection and the HDRW gave me a channel linup selection on June 3rd but has consistently shown "No Listings" for the past three months.

I have been following this and several other threads concerning these issues and it seems to me that I cannot recall ANYONE with a version 7 unit reporting reception of accurate data transmission since the analog shut off!! The Version 8 devices seem to be working OK but not the sevens!!

(then again, if they are getting their data like they are supposed to be then they would really have no reason to read this forum, would they???)

Anyway I thought I would just pose the question and see what kind of response we would see?? Perhaps a poll could be posted??? If we knew that no version 7 devices are working then perhaps MV would actually respond to our requests???

Good Luck to all Version 7 users!!!!

Robin
post #369 of 1484 Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin View Post

Just wondering....

Are there ANY version 7 TVGOS devices working with the SCTE127 data either OTA or through their local cable companies???

yes, I would like to know the answer to this question, too. As YOU probably know from my posts, my 3410a has gotten NO listings for a week. Like you, my unit does SEE the A and B packets in numbers similar to what the analog TVGOS broadcasters put out.

AND, I got a new 3-digital analog channel lineup when I had the "standard" Pal manual's setup (other than that I did NOT have the blaster attached for the 3410a to switch the Pal, which I just left set in TVGOS mode onto CBS 5.1). However, I got NO listings, and eventually the guide light would stop coming on...I also got no listings when I changed the setup to cable yes box no. And, when I restored the system to my test configuration (with the 3410a on my real zip code) and set to no cable, I got back essentially my old lineup BUT with our MAIN PBS station no longer listed, and (STILL) no listings. (So now I'm down to listings only for day 1, which were received last Friday.)

Amusingly, because I had been getting only half-way listings on my Sony 250, I left it with its normal configuration (real zip code, no cable), and - again - added in the Pal output by joining into the antenna signal going into the Sony (with a rescan to pick up the Pal output on channel 3) , AND...I DID get full daily 1,2,5,8 listings, but eventually THAT changed the lineup so that the Sony still had KQEDDT shown, but with NO LISTINGS, and eventually I ended up with no listings for the entire week for PBS 9.1.

WHAT SH*T!!!! all around!

post #370 of 1484 Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin View Post

My Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder has been receiving TVGOS data OTA just fine since the analog cutoff. It is a version 7 device. I'm near Houston. It was a bit confused after the cutoff as my CBS station changed frequencies so I just reset everything and it started successfully downloading again. I'm using an original DTVPal with the F101 firmware.
post #371 of 1484 Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcstuart View Post

My Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder has been receiving TVGOS data OTA just fine since the analog cutoff. It is a version 7 device. I'm near Houston. It was a bit confused after the cutoff as my CBS station changed frequencies so I just reset everything and it started successfully downloading again. I'm using an original DTVPal with the F101 firmware.

right...thanks...I should keep a little notebook! Tony

post #372 of 1484 Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcstuart View Post

I have an DMR-eh50 OTA in the Denver DMA. The program data I'm getting is correct - however I'm only getting grid data for 4 channels. And so far anytime I go through the incorrect lineup and edit the grid to add missing channels it resets to the same 4 channels (CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS - and only the .1's no additional subchannels ) after 36 - 48 hours.

I've been following the saga on the LG 3410 thread. What a nightmare!
post #373 of 1484 Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafi1 View Post

I have an DMR-eh50 OTA in the Denver DMA. The program data I'm getting is correct - however I'm only getting grid data for 4 channels. And so far anytime I go through the incorrect lineup and edit the grid to add missing channels it resets to the same 4 channels (CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS - and only the .1's no additional subchannels ) after 36 - 48 hours.

I'm only getting listings for the six largest broadcasters myself, same as before the transition. Those are really the only ones I watch so it hasn't been a big deal for me. I keep wondering if that will ever improve, though.
post #374 of 1484 Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Can anyone confirm that the guide is present and working (with listings) in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area (over-the-air or via Comcast Cable)?
post #375 of 1484 Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to look for Miami or Fort Lauderdale in This forum. You're more apt to find someone in your exact area.
post #376 of 1484 Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

You might want to look for Miami or Fort Lauderdale in This forum. You're more apt to find someone in your exact area.

Or, this forum which is much more active regarding TVGOS issues, but it's centered around the Sony DHG recorders...
post #377 of 1484 Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The TVGOS on my Pioneer KURO plasma has always worked seamlessly before and after the move here in the Los Angeles area. The only minor annoyance is regarding two stations (KVCR 24 and KDOC 56) that I sometimes watch. Before the move and for a couple of days afterward, these stations were only listed as analog, even though both have been broadcasting the same programming digitally for years.

I simply cannot understand why TV Guide never recognized their digital transmissions. After the move these analog listings were dropped, but no digital listings were ever added, consequently I cannot use TVGOS to find out what is coming up on those two stations! I suppose there is nothing that can be done, but I hope that they will be added back someday.
post #378 of 1484 Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the same problem in my market. A OTA digital channel was never listed but the same channel analog was, so I just renumbered it and way happy I got my guide. Then come the analog shutdown and last week TVGOS remove the channel I was getting the guide info from, but still didn't add the digital channel If I didn't also have Tivo(which is so much more proactive/responsive than TVGOS) I'd care more. Of course I paid $399 for lifetime service to have the privilege to use the Tivo's guide.
post #379 of 1484 Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Gosh -- I neglected to post in this great thread that analog TVGOS, visible to my Panasonic DMR-EH55 (V9 TVGOS) has returned to DIRECTV! I have not changed any hardware (i.e., no DTVPal, since it wouldn't work on DIRECTV anyway) and TVGOS is working exactly the same as before -- they did not even change the Host Channel.

BTW I have been using bwall23's v8 Diagnostic Screens Map for some time, and have recently sketched out a v9 version. If there's interest, I'd be glad to post it here. I have wondered, however, if there's any difference between different devices with the same version, depending perhaps on signal source or the like. For example, my v9 has a "Reception-DirecTV" screen. Do all v9 devices, and not just those connected to DIRECTV, have this?

Lance
post #380 of 1484 Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

After 8 days it had lost all listings.

On May 31st, I reset it and went all digital again.

Although it found it's zipcode packet after 5 days, it still hasn't got a software update, grid or listings after 18 days yet.

After 23 days without a software update, grid or listings, I retired the TVGOS on my TV. (I just turned it off, can always turn it on again). Fortunately, I no longer depend on it for listings, so it's no big deal for me. I'll continue to keep this thread updated and check in as often as I can, but I won't be an active contributor re: TVGOS v8 on my device anymore.
post #381 of 1484 Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for starting this thread Bwall23, at 13 pages it's grown into a rather impressive thread I must admit I lost my OTA TVGOS after the analog shutdown but I'm not too sad since I mostly rely on my Tivo HD now. Well I guess I do get the 24hr digital TVGOS on my Sony HDTV it's the 8 day version on my EH-55 DVDR I used the most.
post #382 of 1484 Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 AM

I had a hiccup just before the June 12 A2D switch during which my Panasonic DMR-E85H DVR could not find the TVGOS data. After 2-3 days of leaving it on my local CBS affiliate (WBNS Ch10, Cols, OH over WOW Cable) when I turned the unit off. It found the signal again and am now receiving the TVGOS data. I am assuming that my local affiliate is xmitting the analog TVGOS.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Ray
post #383 of 1484 Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 AM

I for one surely hope that this thread doesn't die. I really think it's useful to have a device-independent source of info on TVGOS. Maybe I'm just cranky because Panasonic (I have a DMR-EH55) no longer sells any hardware that supports TVGOS, at least AFAIK. I just find it easier not to have to search every TVGOS-related thread for the latest info on the workings of TVGOS, which is more or less device- and source-independent.

Lance
post #384 of 1484 Old 06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Quote:

After 23 days without a software update, grid or listings, I retired the TVGOS on my TV. (I just turned it off, can always turn it on again). Fortunately, I no longer depend on it for listings, so it's no big deal for me. I'll continue to keep this thread updated and check in as often as I can, but I won't be an active contributor re: TVGOS v8 on my device anymore.

I have heard that it will take at least 28 days to acquire a grid under the digital environment, so you should have given it a little longer.
Michael
post #385 of 1484 Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

I have heard that it will take at least 28 days to acquire a grid under the digital environment, so you should have given it a little longer.
Michael

That's one of the things that drove me to the TiVo HD. Another was that my Mits DLP couldn't consistently send Dolby 5.1 audio from broadcasts or firewire recordings to my A/V receiver without the sound dropping out intermittently. I'm much happier with the 14 day guide, Search, Wishlists, Season Pass and copying recordings to/from PC with the TiVo.

Of course, the TVGOS is built into my Mits, so if I ever sell it, that would be a plus (if TVGOS is working at that time).
post #386 of 1484 Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
Anyone here know if it's possible to speak to a human being at Macrovision about incorrect data on tvgos and the tvguide dot com website? I've never found a phone number for them (maybe I'm not looking in the right place )

email/web forms don't seem to work for me.

You'd think they'd be grateful for actual users in actual markets pointing out missing channels/wrong channel numbers, etc.
post #387 of 1484 Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Not terribly likely, if you are a customer (i.e., a non-industry end user). There has been sporadic contact with a Macrovision employee related at times on this forum, but IIRC none of them have been since the Big Shakeup (June 12th, When Analog Ceased To Exist).

I've been surprised that no one, as far as I can recall, has mentioned that the Macrovision TVGOS site (http://tvgos.custhelp.com) has displayed "Site Maintenance in progress" since well before June 12th. The wonderful resources there, including a number of technical documents and the ability to actually email Macrovision support about TVGOS issues, are now apparently completely GONE.

My impression is that Macrovision is completely phasing out what little contact they once had with the public, at least with regard to TVGOS. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I'm no longer holding my breath. "in progress" sort of implies that someday the site will reappear, but either they employ the slowest coders on the planet or they don't intend to come back. In any case, it's clearly not a very high priority.
post #388 of 1484 Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

the ability to actually email Macrovision support about TVGOS issues, are now apparently completely GONE.

Gone as in gone with the wind. The support was never really there, just a front to make you think yopu might hear back.

el gran chico; If this guy I have been talking to over the phone (from a support ticket with Mits), calls me back and if I remember, I will ask him, but don't be surprised if I don't get a answer.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #389 of 1484 Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Confirming my post of about 2 weeks ago -- my LG 42LB1DR tv (with internal DVR and TVGOS) is finally getting listings.

I did the "set zip code to 00000" trick, and watched the diagnostics check every channel-- nothing. But, after about 8 days, listings finally showed up.

Here in the Milwaukee area, I believe the DTV tvgos data is sent over CBS - channel 58.1. But, my tvgos diagnostics tells me the host channel is 0:46-0??? Could this be the "frequency channel" vs "display channel" differences thing? I seem to recall some funky tv number differences with my dvico tv card in my pc....

anyway, if someone can update the sticky/first-post in this thread that the LG 42LB1DR works with 08.01.65, that would be cool.
post #390 of 1484 Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Yes - 46 is WDJT-DT's (58) real RF channel number.
Reply HDTV Technical