TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1484 Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ok got it...

sorry i rambled on about the other stuff...

rg
rkg22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Newbie
 
dsmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVGossip View Post

I have read news reports that Rovi has contracts with CBS & PBS to distribute their TVGOS signal. If that is true, then how does a local CBS affiliate get to 'chose' to disable the feed?

Why can't Rovi get Atlanta PBS to distribute the signal?

No more TVGOS service for Atlanta. Reply from Steve Flanagan at CBS46:


I want to give you an update on TVGOS.

Earlier this week we identified another make/model of converter having
the same decoding problem when the TVGOS stream is present. This
indicates to us that the problem is even more widespread than we
initially thought.

As a result we have made a business decision to discontinue the TVGOS
service completely. We are now in the process of returning the
equipment to TV Guide.

I suspect they will approach other stations in town looking for an
outlet. Please contact them for more information.


Steve

Steve Flanagan
(404) 327-3162 Office
dsmiii is offline  
post #633 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:


so you're saying that whatever was broken is now fixed ??

No, I said the TVGOS from the station is working.

After checking this morning, I now find all days are full of listings.
Didn't do a thing, listings filled in by themselves.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #634 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ahhh... ok... i get it... sorry for having trailed off in the wrong direction on this...

it's a shame that you have to kick start the sony using an external box...

rgds,
ron g...
rkg22 is offline  
post #635 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
AtlantisMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see dsmii beat me to the post about no TVGOS in Atlanta. As I understand it, other converter boxes were being affected as well. Really stinks that some cheap converter can cause this much trouble. Why isn't the DVTpal affected and how will that affect all of the people with the Pal?
I suspect that Rovi just decided not to continue with this business model and this is the excuse they need to shut down.
Once my clock gets out of wack far enough, I will start experimenting with injecting a clock signal and perhaps see if I can hack the unit.
I guess my girlfriend will either rent a box from Comcast or maybe I will get her a Moxi. But Moxi has just been sold to Arris, so not sure if that is a good thing. Will have to wait and see.
Michael
AtlantisMichael is offline  
post #636 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
maybe i have my head up my butt, but something doesn't sound right, here...
why atlanta ???

is there something in atlanta's atmosphere causing the issue ?

the local CBS affiliate in las vegas is carrying TVGOS...

i have various digital ATSC devices in service... i also have a DTVPAL in service...
i also have a couple of RCA converter boxes in service...

aside from various unrelated issues with reception, or minor tech difficulties
with some stations, all of my stuff, including the RCA converter boxes, and PAL converter boxes are working fine and have no trouble receiving and decoding all
stations, including the local CBS affiliate that is carrying the TVGOS signal...

i guess i'm just wondering what seems to be special about the station in atlanta.
are there other locales experiencing the issue in question ? just doesn't make
sense to me...

rg
rkg22 is offline  
post #637 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
avnstf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley USA
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

i guess i'm just wondering what seems to be special about the station in atlanta.
are there other locales experiencing the issue in question ? just doesn't make
sense to me...

rg

yes, I asked that question a few days ago, and I guess the answer is that no one HERE has an answer...

on another subject, my 3410a with the Pal seems to be back in the mode of last year (without the Pal), i.e., after 2 or 3 days of getting listings, it reaches a state where I have to do an unplug-plug (then turning the unit on and going into the guide, exiting, and turning the unit off) to enable it to get the nightly programs listings.

you described an alternative thing you did, which seemed to be (I can't actually find the post) just going into the guide and scrolling down though the channels, making sure to include a particular channel...

could you clarify what that channel was and why? and do you have to scroll through ALL the channels that are active in the guide screen? or what?

I might try an alternative method some evening, then check in the AM and - if it doesn't work - do my own thing...

Thanks - Tony

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

avnstf is offline  
post #638 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

yes, I asked that question a few days ago, and I guess the answer is that no one HERE has an answer...

on another subject, my 3410a with the Pal seems to be back in the mode of last year (without the Pal), i.e., after 2 or 3 days of getting listings, it reaches a state where I have to do an unplug-plug (then turning the unit on and going into the guide, exiting, and turning the unit off) to enable it to get the nightly programs listings.

you described an alternative thing you did, which seemed to be (I can't actually find the post) just going into the guide and scrolling down though the channels, making sure to include a particular channel...

could you clarify what that channel was and why? and do you have to scroll through ALL the channels that are active in the guide screen? or what?

I might try an alternative method some evening, then check in the AM and - if it doesn't work - do my own thing...

Thanks - Tony

hi tony...

not sure i recall, but i DO know that if for some reason you command it to an
unoccupied RF channel ( where the tuner cannot lock up ) intermittent h?ll can
break loose, including unresponsive software, unresponsive remote, and for all i
know, possibly unresponsive TVGOS service. sometimes the PAL will recover in
time, but most of the time, i've had to power down and back up to get the thing
out of lala land... in addition, once you have the PAL on the correct channel for
the host, just try covering up the remote IR sensor with black vinyl tape...

i know it seems wierd, but one of my PALs not only responds to ambient light,
but also responds to other ( non-SA ) remotes on occasion... it is possible that
( while you're not looking ) the PAL will respond to some random light or IR signal,
throwing into a comatose state...

note that the green light on the PAL should NEVER blink, unless it's receiving a remote
command... otherwise it should be solid... if you see that light blink on its own, it's
likely that it's responding to some light source, be it ambient, ambient IR, or some other
remote...

with the tape covering the IR sensor, some IR can still get through to control the thing
as long as you get within a couple of inches of the box...

i was going nuts until i figured it out...

also, remember to update your TVGOS grid lineup with the correct RF channel and then
check it occasionally... if the device re-loads the lineup after losing it or giving up or
something, your original edits will get overwritten again...

hope this helps...

rg
rkg22 is offline  
post #639 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,933
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm cross posting to this post. I wonder if TVGOS could be effecting the MicroGem boxes too?
jjeff is offline  
post #640 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
TVGossip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I think it is ridiculous that they supposedly made the data stream compatible with a cheap coverter box while making hundreds of thousands of far more expensive devices in consumer's homes virtually useless.

I do not understand why this is not illegal. It is illegal to use an electronic device to disrupt cell phone signals. Why isn't it illegal to manufacture (APEX?) and sell (Best Buy?) a cheap device that disrupts existing signals?
TVGossip is offline  
post #641 of 1484 Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVGossip View Post

I do not understand why this is not illegal. It is illegal to use an electronic device to disrupt cell phone signals. Why isn't it illegal to manufacture (APEX?) and sell (Best Buy?) a cheap device that disrupts existing signals?

Ehh? The Apex and other CECBs don't disrupt anything. It is the proprietary TVGOS service that disrupts reception on those [and other] boxes.

Rovi went to broadcasters and said, "Please install this custom box to add our proprietary TVGOS signal to your broadcast signal. It won't interfere with reception on government subsidized converter boxes, but it will provide a better experience for those that paid extra for devices with our TVGOS software." The problem is that Rovi's TVGOS equipment isn't compatible with the $$$$ broadcast equipment at certain affiliates, and the result is a television signal that does not work at all on some converter boxes.
bfdtv is offline  
post #642 of 1484 Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
AtlantisMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perhaps we can get a list of cities on the status of where the TVGOS is turned off completely, off from time to time, or is working just fine. Plus, which converter boxes are being affected ( do we have a thread on converter boxes?) I guess getting the data on affected converter may be a little harder since those who have them (elderly, poor) may not even have /use the internet.
Also, if we could find other contacts for Rovi, either directly--the company, or indirectly--through their partners, it might be of some help.
Michael
AtlantisMichael is offline  
post #643 of 1484 Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Newbie
 
Spyder-97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

Perhaps we can get a list of cities on the status of where the TVGOS is turned off completely, off from time to time, or is working just fine. Plus, which converter boxes are being affected ( do we have a thread on converter boxes?) I guess getting the data on affected converter may be a little harder since those who have them (elderly, poor) may not even have /use the internet.
Also, if we could find other contacts for Rovi, either directly--the company, or indirectly--through their partners, it might be of some help.
Michael

here's a link: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos
Spyder-97 is offline  
post #644 of 1484 Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
avnstf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley USA
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder-97 View Post

here's a link: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos

the trouble with the rabbitears link is that it doesn't necessarily have current info...although I do notice that it labels Atlanta as currently known NOT to have TVGOS available

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

avnstf is offline  
post #645 of 1484 Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I only have access to the info that people send me as I cannot be everywhere at once (sadly ). Someone forwarded me an e-mail about WGCL having dropped TVGOS, thus why I changed the listing.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #646 of 1484 Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
AtlantisMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder-97 View Post

here's a link: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos

Yes, that shows about TVGOS, but not any problems with it or with converter boxes. Having some sort of database where there are problems with TVGOS and converter boxes might help to narrow down what is supposedly causing a conflict between the data stream and affected converters. Hard to beleive that only in the cities which are having trouble that those cites only are using the affected boxes and no other locals are. Something does not make sense.
Michael
AtlantisMichael is offline  
post #647 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Member
 
lgdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Pioneer Elite PRO-950HD Plasma with TVGOS, and can't figure out how to display the 9 digit service screens on it. I have done this before on on my V7 LG LST-3410A DVR, but am getting nowhere with the Pioneer.

This is what I'm doing, based on posts on this forum:

1. I go into Setup

2. Scroll down to "change system settings"

3. Enter (for example), the G Test code: 971397135

Result: "Enter Factory Test Screen" is displayed. But, I Can't get beyond this message. Can anyone tell me what I should enter on the remote to go to the next step??

I've tried, enter, info, all 4 arrow keys - nothing. I can't display the test screen(s).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
lgdavis is offline  
post #648 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

Hard to beleive that only in the cities which are having trouble that those cites only are using the affected boxes and no other locals are. Something does not make sense.
Michael

I worked in engineerning at a station over the summer that got tons of perplexing calls about people able to get every station from the tower farm except ours, despite the fact that ours was the only omni directional station there, which meant in some directions, we had the strongest signal. Everything at our end looked fine and we could not find anything wrong. Last I heard, we're still waiting for field strength measurements to be run.

Our station runs TVGOS.

I wonder how many other stations are in the same boat.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #649 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
dsmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmiii View Post

No more TVGOS service for Atlanta. Reply from Steve Flanagan at CBS46:


I want to give you an update on TVGOS.

Earlier this week we identified another make/model of converter having
the same decoding problem when the TVGOS stream is present. This
indicates to us that the problem is even more widespread than we
initially thought.

As a result we have made a business decision to discontinue the TVGOS
service completely. We are now in the process of returning the
equipment to TV Guide.

I suspect they will approach other stations in town looking for an
outlet. Please contact them for more information.


Steve

Steve Flanagan
(404) 327-3162 Office

WOW! A response from ROVI regarding TVGOS in Atlanta:

Our broadcast team is working on a resolution to this known issue in the Atlanta area.
There is a software bug at the broadcast station causing them to put our equipment in bypass while our engineers work this out with the station engineers. We expect a resolution in the next few weeks or possibly sooner.

If your Guide does not return in by 10/19/09 please reply to this email letting us know so we can update you as to the status of TVGOS data passage in the Atlanta area.

We apologize for this inconvenience.
dsmiii is offline  
post #650 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:


As a result we have made a business decision to discontinue the TVGOS
service completely.

Oh boy, another "business decision", or was it a decision to give them the business. I wonder if their advertisers know about this?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #651 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Member
 
rockin robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jensen Beach, FL TVGOS GBA 46
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdavis View Post

I've got a Pioneer Elite PRO-950HD Plasma with TVGOS, and can't figure out how to display the 9 digit service screens on it. I have done this before on on my V7 LG LST-3410A DVR, but am getting nowhere with the Pioneer.

This is what I'm doing, based on posts on this forum:

1. I go into Setup

2. Scroll down to "change system settings"

3. Enter (for example), the G Test code: 971397135

Result: "Enter Factory Test Screen" is displayed. But, I Can't get beyond this message. Can anyone tell me what I should enter on the remote to go to the next step??

I've tried, enter, info, all 4 arrow keys - nothing. I can't display the test screen(s).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

lgdavis:
Try entering the same codes under the MESSAGES heading in the TVGOS menu? Scroll over to MESSAGES then the dwon arrow then the codes.
That is what you do for your LG LST3410a if I am not mistaken? I know that this does work for my LG LST3410a to enter the diagnostics menus.
Let us know?
Robin
rockin robin is offline  
post #652 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If his guide version is v7, like the 3410A has, "messages" would apply - if it's v8 or above, "change system settings" is the right one to go to - at least for recorders, such as the Sony DVR's. The Pioneer (and possibly) other displays may use an altogether different method, though.

I don't remember that method even working when I tried it on my Pio Elite 1140HD plasma's v8 guide.

Somebody recently did post how to get to those menus on his Pio plasma here - I don't remember if it was in this TVGOS thread or another. It would be back a few pages if it's here.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #653 of 1484 Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Newbie
 
mlp528@comcast.n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I just posted this in another thread here that discusses TVGOS (LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion), but thought I'd post it here for those who don't go to that other thread. (I hope you don't mind... just trying to help.)

Many thanks to all who post in this forum! I have been lurking for a while, now, and you've given me hope and help! Thanks so much!

I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I'd lost TVGOS for many months, and, while experimenting w/trying to recover them, I'd lost the grid, as well. I tried all sorts of wiring configurations, including buying an antenna and trying OTA with an Artec box. Nothing worked.

(By the way, for Bay Area residents using OTA, KPIX has announced that its signal is supposed to be getting a lot stronger sometime in October once they finish work on their tower, in case that helps anyone.)

Since Saturday morning, I've had listings, and they've expanded to cover a week! I almost never post in forums anywhere, but, I want to help you/others the way you've helped me. So, in case it helps anyone... here are the details of my situation:

Location: San Francisco Bay Area (near San Jose, actually)
Provider: Comcast (including Digital Cable Box)
TVGOS station: KPIX-5 (based on what I've read here)
Unit: Panasonic DMR-EH75V w/IR blaster controlling Cable Box
Cabling:
1) Cable out of wall through splitter into 2 cables.
2) 1st cable attached to RF in of old, cheap, analog VCR. RF out of VCR into RF in of Panny.
3) 2nd cable attached to Comcast Digital Cable Box (Motorola). Video & audio cables out to IN3 input of Panny.

Procedure:
1) With Panny on, reset unit by pressing and holding (10 secs. -ish) Channel Up & Down buttons simultaneously (on unit, not remote).
2) Unplugged Panny for 5+ minutes.
3) Plugged Panny in, and set it up per normal:
a) Used my zip
b) RF in - yes, Cable Box in on IN3 - yes
4) Turned it off and left it off a full 24 hours (difficult for me).
5) Turned it on, and it asked which cable system I was using. There was only 1 Comcast option (as opposed to in the past), and I selected it. Confirmed the rest of the setup was fine.
6) Be surprised. Why? For the first time in months, a tv listings grid appears. There are no shows listed, but still, this is huge.
7) Maybe a crucial step... maybe not... I'd read on this forum about people setting Channel 5 to Channel 3 or something. Hadn't quite followed it... maybe because my Panny isn't set up the same... I'm not sure. But, it at least gave me the following idea, which may or may not have helped.... In the listings grid, I selected KPIX 5 and selected the Edit Channel option. I, then, chose to switch the input of that channel from IN3 (coming from the digital cable box) to RF in (see #2 under Cabling, above).
8) Turned it off, and intended to wait 24 hours again. Curiosity had me checking in late morning after less than 12 hours. And, to my amazement... LISTINGS!! Whoo-hoo!! Now, there were a bunch of listings missing, but, it was a start. BTW, one of the stations NOT listing any shows, yet, was KPIX, Channel 5, the one channel I'd changed to RF-in (since it's the TVGOS host channel).
9) A few hours later, I decided to try and correct Channel 5's missing listings by switching it back to input: IN3 (just like all the others).
10) The update: after leaving it off for about 12 hours, I checked it again. This time, Channel 5 listings were there, and more had been added!

I'm now up to a full week's worth of listings!! I'm SO grateful to you posters in this forum -- thanks again! I share this information in hopes that it will help!

All the best!
-Mike
mlp528@comcast.n is offline  
post #654 of 1484 Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Member
 
seattlemark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the second time in 3 weeks, I have lost all my TVGOS listings. Yesterday afternoon I had the entire upcoming 7 days fully populated. After that the TV was off for around 26 hours. Now I checked again, and I see for the entire week it shows "No Listings" in every single slot. I am wondering if this is a problem with either the Toshiba TV (the TVGOS device), with bad incoming data, or with the DTVPal that is doing the digital to analog conversion. Has this sort of thing been reported before (other than in my own post where I lost some, but not all, of my listings a couple of weeks ago)?
seattlemark is offline  
post #655 of 1484 Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Newbie
 
dsmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmiii View Post

WOW! A response from ROVI regarding TVGOS in Atlanta:

Our broadcast team is working on a resolution to this known issue in the Atlanta area.
There is a software bug at the broadcast station causing them to put our equipment in bypass while our engineers work this out with the station engineers. We expect a resolution in the next few weeks or possibly sooner.

If your Guide does not return in by 10/19/09 please reply to this email letting us know so we can update you as to the status of TVGOS data passage in the Atlanta area.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

New Response from ROVI Regarding TVGOS in Atlanta:

Dear valued consumer,

We were just updated by our broadcast operatios department that we are looking at other broadcast stations to carry our equipment in the Atlanta area.

For Comcast customers we will be installing equipment at their facility in the Atlanta area and expect TVGOS data to be restored in the next 1 to 2 weeks.

Thank you for your patience.
dsmiii is offline  
post #656 of 1484 Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Member
 
lgdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin View Post

lgdavis:
Try entering the same codes under the MESSAGES heading in the TVGOS menu? Scroll over to MESSAGES then the dwon arrow then the codes.
That is what you do for your LG LST3410a if I am not mistaken? I know that this does work for my LG LST3410a to enter the diagnostics menus.
Let us know?
Robin

Robin,
There's no "messages" tab on this set - as there is on the 3410, where I have no problem bringing up diagnostic screens.
Apparently "messages" tab is only on V7.
I am now getting Guide listings, (had to do a TVG reset) so this isn't a big issue now, but just would like to know how to bring up these screens.
Thanks to you, and Ramm, for your help.
Now, if I could only get the 'Pal to work with my 3410
lgdavis is offline  
post #657 of 1484 Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Newbie
 
TVGossip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmiii View Post

For Comcast customers we will be installing equipment at their facility in the Atlanta area and expect TVGOS data to be restored in the next 1 to 2 weeks.

I received a note stating ROVI will be working with Charter Cable soon. No specific timeframe or resolution date.
TVGossip is offline  
post #658 of 1484 Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frackville, PA
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdavis View Post

I am now getting Guide listings, (had to do a TVG reset) so this isn't a big issue now, but just would like to know how to bring up these screens.

I don't think that you can enter the factory test screens on the pioneers. There will be no point because both version 8 and 9 pioneers can do the digital downloads. I have never tried on my two 5010's.

To enter the diagnostics screen use your pioneer remote.
1: Press guide
2: Press menu
3: Select "go to menu bar"
4: Go to "setup" on menu bar
5: Either select or scroll down to "change system settings"
6: Just Highlight "change system settings: do not select
7: Enter 753159852 It should automatically enter the diagnostic screen
8: To exit, press "info" on the remote. This will bring you back to settings menu. Or to exit the guide completely press the guide button.

On my pioneers I only use these codes:
1: Diagnostics 753159852
2: Clear reset info 111222333
3" Full system reset 653274147

Here is a link to the post with all the codes:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=515

If you can, when you enter the diagnostics screen can you give me the guide version and the patch version if applicable. This is located on the second or third line of the first screen that comes up (System Info).
Here is an example of what it looks like:
08.01.68/08.xx.xx/00.00.00
The first group is the guide version and the second group is the patch version. If 00.00.00 is in the second group then it is not patched. My version 9 looks like this 09.01.46/00.00.00/00.00.00
Please post this info if you can. If you can not enter the diagnostics screen then I don't know what is preventing you from doing so.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Jed1 is offline  
post #659 of 1484 Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Newbie
 
Spyder-97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live near the Atlanta area. My TVGOS signal is back. Looks like they fixed the software bug.
Spyder-97 is offline  
post #660 of 1484 Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Member
 
metalav8b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder-97 View Post

I live near the Atlanta area. My TVGOS signal is back. Looks like they fixed the software bug.

I got listings on both my LG and Sony last night as well! My Sony isn't showing a Host channel and the time is off by 5 minutes. My LG is reporting a Host channel of 21-0. Hope it lasts!
metalav8b is offline  
Reply HDTV Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off