post #721 of 1484 Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

A bit off-topic for this thread, but do you have any idea what role ROVI plays in the TiVo Premiere?
excerpt from paragraph 6 in link "The TiVo features an electronic program guide (EPG) with 14-days of guide information from Tribune Media and Rovi."

P.S. hope they haven't replaced Tribune as the guide provider (fingers and toes crossed) and that it's just for the splash ads and tracking clicks in the new HD Flash environment. I still rely on, and am happy with my TiVo HD's (using both Digital Cable and Digital OTA) and not about to go Premiere yet.

I do not think Rovi supplies any guide data for TiVo. Hence TiVo is much more reliable for Guide data.

If TiVo Premiere had great OTA tuners AND we had reliable internet here (which we don't) I would go the TiVo route.

I do not see anything in our Texas State Laws or our Federal Laws (FCC) that promises any prospects of real cost effective internet solutions. It has all been promised for years and it still has not happened.

So far the "promise" of the wireless internet carriers has not been able to "deliver" the goods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1484 Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Some wisdom needed. I checked the same screens. I have STID of 1982, 3545, 3596 and 9335. Any information on these inserters would be greatly appreciated. Today is the first day for a week that I have normal packets and populated listings. This morning I performed a front panel reset I was so frustrated.

They are the same STIDs for the analog inserter in my division of SE. My sister who has comcast in chambersburg, PA has different STIDs.

I know that Rovi updates their servers over the weekend and this might interfere with the data for a few hours, but you will see the effect of this in all your guides.
If one of your guides is messing up and not the other then you have an error in the guide and a full reset of the guide will clear it out. I found that if you don't use the device often, or the guide is used to much where it doesn't have the time to download the neccesary data, or there is quick power outages, or even if your cable company is doing upgrades to their headend, that this will mess up the guide.

In January, my downstairs tv started to get 800A resets but my upstairs one didn't so I did a full reset of the guide and I have been trouble free since.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #723 of 1484 Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

I do not think Rovi supplies any guide data for TiVo. Hence TiVo is much more reliable for Guide data.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1588...e=-1&find=TIVO
On TiVo the data is provided basically on their platform for their data to be used as part of the ability to search with the availability of our data as opposed to Tribune data that I believe they were using before. And they pay us on a per sub basis.

Looking further, it appears to be meta data and images, not guide data. http://www.dailyfinance.com/rtn/pr/r...55/?channel=pf
post #724 of 1484 Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

TVGOS Analog Listings Download Schedule

The pupose of this chart is to show how the 8 days of listings, for guides using analog data, fills in over a 3 day period after a full system reset.

Sunday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Day 2 New New Old New Old New
Day 3 New New Old Old New Old Old New
Monday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Day3 New New Old Old New Old Old New
Tuesday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Wednesday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Thursday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Friday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Day 3 New New New Old Old New Old Old
Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
Day 1 New New New New
Day 2 New New New Old New Old
Day 3 Old New New New Old Old New Old

NOTE: As the guide advances forward each day after the third day, the listings data will be updated for days 1, 2, and 5 and new listings data will be added for day 8.

How to use this Chart:

Just pick the day when you select your line up and this chart will show how the listings data fills in over a three day period.
NEW: Means new listings data for that day.
OLD: Means old listings data stored in TVGOS memory from the previous days download.

NOTE: This is for 8 Day Analog Guides ONLY!

Analog TVGOS Download Schedule

DLID STID START DURATION DLID START DURATION END
70 9335 6:31 180 MIN 81 10:31 PM 50 MIN 11:21 PM
70 9335 10:41 180 MIN 27 11:26 PM 60 MIN 12:26 AM
70 9335 13:46 180 MIN 81 12:31 AM 50 MIN 1:21 AM
70 9335 17:46 180 MIN 27 1:26 AM 60 MIN 2:26 AM
81 9335 4:31 50 MIN 70 2:31 AM 180 MIN 5:31 AM
81 9335 16:51 50 MIN 27 5:36 AM 60 MIN 6:36 AM
81 9335 2:31 50 MIN 70 6:41 AM 180 MIN 9:41 AM
27 9335 5:26 60 MIN 70 9:46 AM 180 MIN 12:46 PM
27 9335 9:36 60 MIN 81 12:51 PM 50 MIN 1:41 PM
27 9335 21:46 60 MIN 70 1:46 PM 180 MIN 4:46 PM
27 9335 3:26 60 MIN 27 5:46 PM 60 MIN 6:46 PM

NOTE: DLID 70 is the data for listings in the download schedule.

2xLines: 0x780078
Gemstar Lines: 0x780078
Enabled Lines: 0x780078

post #725 of 1484 Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Jed1

Since my brain is broken; you are saying this:

This is New Analogue DL schedule for those that are now receive their analogue DL TVGOS is this now digital world. In other words the Old Analogue DL schedule in the analogue days, where Days 1, 2, 5, & 8 were New Days are no longer valid.

I do not do well with puzzles, they hurt.
post #726 of 1484 Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 127
[quote=Jed1;18754312]TVGOS Analog Listings Download Schedule

Well, Jed, you know I get TVGOS V8 via cable for my Sony DVR. While the schedule is great, what do you observe when there is no download activity? Here is what I have found in the last 7 days:

6-4 Fri 100% guide & ads
6-5 Sat 100% guide & ads
6-6 Sun - No ads, day 8 empty
6-7 Mon - No ads, Sun empty, day 8 bad
6-8 Tue - Ads ok, Sun bad, Mon bad, day 8 99%
6-9 Wed - No ads, Sun bad, Mon bad, Tue ok, day 8 bad.
6-10 Thu - Ads ok, Sun 50%, mon 50%, Tue ok, Wed 90%, day 8 90%

bad/empty means "no listing", 90% means a lot of "no titles"

These observations are on a DHG doing nothing but using electricity parked on my analog host channel. Packets vary from 50/min to 200/min. All observations at 6:30am.

Any comments?
post #727 of 1484 Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jed1

Since my brain is broken; you are saying this:

This is New Analogue DL schedule for those that are now receive their analogue DL TVGOS is this now digital world. In other words the Old Analogue DL schedule in the analogue days, where Days 1, 2, 5, & 8 were New Days are no longer valid.

I do not do well with puzzles, they hurt.

What you see in the chart is:
New: Listing data that is downloaded that day.
Old: Listings data that was downloaded the day before and is stored in TVGOS memory.
I editted the chart to make it more understandable.

The analog downloads are the same today as they were before. Nothing has changed. The data that you would get using your artec box and the data Joe Kustra gets from an actual analog inserter installed in his cable comapnies headend are identical. So the analog data is the same today is it was when you were getting it from an analog broadcast station. It still takes three days to fully populate the eight days of listings when recieving analog data.

post #728 of 1484 Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=JoeKustra;18755947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

TVGOS Analog Listings Download Schedule

Well, Jed, you know I get TVGOS V8 via cable for my Sony DVR. While the schedule is great, what do you observe when there is no download activity? Here is what I have found in the last 7 days:

6-4 Fri 100% guide & ads
6-5 Sat 100% guide & ads
6-6 Sun - No ads, day 8 empty
6-7 Mon - No ads, Sun empty, day 8 bad
6-8 Tue - Ads ok, Sun bad, Mon bad, day 8 99%
6-9 Wed - No ads, Sun bad, Mon bad, Tue ok, day 8 bad.
6-10 Thu - Ads ok, Sun 50%, mon 50%, Tue ok, Wed 90%, day 8 90%

bad/empty means "no listing", 90% means a lot of "no titles"

These observations are on a DHG doing nothing but using electricity parked on my analog host channel. Packets vary from 50/min to 200/min. All observations at 6:30am.

Any comments?

Joe,
Is this happening on all your TVGOS devices?

If yes, then the problem is with either the inserter or at the source (Rovi).

If not, then the data on the offending device is corrupted. You have to do a full reset of the guide and start over.
Here is the procedure:
1. Tune to your TVGOS host channel.
2. Bring up your guide and go to setup on the top menu bar and then highlight "change systems settings". Do not select just highlight.
3. Enter 9 digit code 111222333 to clear out the reset info.
4. Arrow down to "change channel display" and then arrow back up to "change systems settings". Do not select just highlight.
5. Enter 9 digit code 653274147 and your guide should disapper and the unit should shut off automatically. If it doesn't, turn it off manually.
6. Leave it off for about 15 minutes then turn it back on and bring up the guide and verify that it has been reset and then turn the unit off and leave off for about twelve hours.

It is best to do all this before 10:31 pm because that is when the analog downloads start for the next day. Check about 10:00 am next day to see if you got your grid. If not shut it off and don't check until 7:00pm when the analog downloads end for the day.
You will not lose any of your recorded shows this way.

post #729 of 1484 Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Jed1;18759576]
Quote:

Joe,
Is this happening on all your TVGOS devices?

If yes, then the problem is with either the inserter or at the source (Rovi).

If not, then the data on the offending device is corrupted. You have to do a full reset of the guide and start over.
Here is the procedure:
1. Tune to your TVGOS host channel.
2. Bring up your guide and go to setup on the top menu bar and then highlight "change systems settings". Do not select just highlight.
3. Enter 9 digit code 111222333 to clear out the reset info.
4. Arrow down to "change channel display" and then arrow back up to "change systems settings". Do not select just highlight.
5. Enter 9 digit code 653274147 and your guide should disapper and the unit should shut off automatically. If it doesn't, turn it off manually.
6. Leave it off for about 15 minutes then turn it back on and bring up the guide and verify that it has been reset and then turn the unit off and leave off for about twelve hours.

It is best to do all this before 10:31 pm because that is when the analog downloads start for the next day. Check about 10:00 am next day to see if you got your grid. If not shut it off and don't check until 7:00pm when the analog downloads end for the day.
You will not lose any of your recorded shows this way.

The unit I get these observations from has no recordings and a blank schedule right now. I have two units with power applied and they are almost identical. Perhaps the recording on one at 8pm and 11pm make a difference (plus watching those recordings at 7am). I'll keep your suggestions on file, but the diagnostic screens pretty much match my problems. Like ASet dropping three days behind. I'm still keeping a log of service, with the goal of finding a pattern. Since all of my recordings are manual, this is not a big problem.

My problem now, however, is that I don't get a guide on my 32EX700 (V10). Everything points to no data. I didn't buy the new Sony TV for the guide, but it would be nice to have one. I also show almost no PSIP information anymore. Maybe it will show up tomorrow.
post #730 of 1484 Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you see in the chart is:
New: Listing data that is downloaded that day.
Old: Listings data that was downloaded the day before and is stored in TVGOS memory.
I editted the chart to make it more understandable.

The analog downloads are the same today as they were before. Nothing has changed. The data that you would get using your artec box and the data Joe Kustra gets from an actual analog inserter installed in his cable comapnies headend are identical. So the analog data is the same today is it was when you were getting it from an analog broadcast station. It still takes three days to fully populate the eight days of listings when recieving analog data.

Jed1, try as I might; I still do not understand the chart. To me the first day (day 1) is always new. I have Day 1 changes to the schedule on a regular basis; particularly on weekends for sporting events.

The main part I do not grasp is: What is the meaning or purpose of Days 2 and 3 down the left hand side of the chart.

Yes it is true I am that slow.
post #731 of 1484 Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Jed1, try as I might; I still do not understand the chart. To me the first day (day 1) is always new. I have Day 1 changes to the schedule on a regular basis; particularly on weekends for sporting events.

The main part I do not grasp is: What is the meaning or purpose of Days 2 and 3 down the left hand side of the chart.

Yes it is true I am that slow.

You are making this more difficult than it is (especially since you don't even get analog data any more). It is the same fill in pattern that the analog data has always followed. It hasn't been that long since you only had analog data. Let's say you reset your analog DVR on Sunday evening. Monday would be day one for you, so you would go to the Monday table. Monday night (end of day one), you would have four days of data. Tuesday night (end of day 2), you would have six days of data. Wednesday night (end of day 3) you would have all eight days filled in. The "New" means that day was No Listings before, and "Old" means that day was filled in a day or two ago.

Mark
post #732 of 1484 Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=JoeKustra;18759779]
Quote:

The unit I get these observations from has no recordings and a blank schedule right now. I have two units with power applied and they are almost identical. Perhaps the recording on one at 8pm and 11pm make a difference (plus watching those recordings at 7am). I'll keep your suggestions on file, but the diagnostic screens pretty much match my problems. Like ASet dropping three days behind. I'm still keeping a log of service, with the goal of finding a pattern. Since all of my recordings are manual, this is not a big problem.

My problem now, however, is that I don't get a guide on my 32EX700 (V10). Everything points to no data. I didn't buy the new Sony TV for the guide, but it would be nice to have one. I also show almost no PSIP information anymore. Maybe it will show up tomorrow.

I don't know if the version 10 has the ability to get analog downloads. It might be a digital only guide. In this case you have to use the ethernet port on the back of the tv to get the guide to update because you have no digital inserter.

If you had this one unit unplugged for a while then you will have to reset it. You will find out really fast if you have data issues with the analog inserter. The changes they are making in your headend to eliminate most of your analog lineup may be currupting the data stream for the analog inserter.

There is no sense in waiting to find out if the problem is on your end or their end especially if you are not using this recorder.

post #733 of 1484 Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

You are making this more difficult than it is (especially since you don't even get analog data any more). It is the same fill in pattern that the analog data has always followed. It hasn't been that long since you only had analog data. Let's say you reset your analog DVR on Sunday evening. Monday would be day one for you, so you would go to the Monday table. Monday night (end of day one), you would have four days of data. Tuesday night (end of day 2), you would have six days of data. Wednesday night (end of day 3) you would have all eight days filled in. The "New" means that day was No Listings before, and "Old" means that day was filled in a day or two ago.

Mark

Thanks for explaining this Mark!

I originally just wanted to show how the listings grid fills up over the three day period. I just editted the chart to include how it refreshes the listings as it adds the new days.

When the the guide has all eight days full it will refresh the listings for days 1, 2, 5 and add on day 8 as the guide advances forward each day.

With digital it takes only 30 minutes to fill in the eight day guide. And it then adds listings for the 8th day and refreshes the current listings data as the guide advances forward each day.

post #734 of 1484 Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Kewl I see the chart is now corrected.

Day 1 is always new - both true for analogue and digital - now the chart works.

That "old" day 1 was just throwing me way off.

Thanks for fixing the chart; now my brain is working correctly again.
post #735 of 1484 Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Jed1;18764175]
Quote:

I don't know if the version 10 has the ability to get analog downloads. It might be a digital only guide. In this case you have to use the ethernet port on the back of the tv to get the guide to update because you have no digital inserter.

If you had this one unit unplugged for a while then you will have to reset it. You will find out really fast if you have data issues with the analog inserter. The changes they are making in your headend to eliminate most of your analog lineup may be currupting the data stream for the analog inserter.

There is no sense in waiting to find out if the problem is on your end or their end especially if you are not using this recorder.

From my observations you are right. V10 cannot use V8 analog data. This morning I'm 100% except for a few 'no title' blocks on Day 8. High packet count too. The TV does allow me to select its tuner for the guide source, but diagnostic screens still look as if no packets are good. I'll see what happens when I add internet access next week. PSIP data has all but vaporized on the analog channels. That's new.

I gave my sister the XBR9 yesterday. She still gets a lot of basic cable in HD. Yet I had to hook her 480i cable box to the TV so she can get Starz. My brother-in-law was not happy. Next week I'm going to add an AB switch to maintain marital bliss. The Motorola box has YWR & S-Video, but she needs her webtv too. The XBR9 only has one analog input and the webtv box is YWR only. They did learn one thing: a crappy 480i signal looks even more crappy on a 1080p widescreen TV. I did warn them.

Cable bill came: five more analog channels are being dropped next month.
post #736 of 1484 Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a post that describes the version 10 releases and what they fix? Thanks.
post #737 of 1484 Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmerick View Post

When I was setting up my Panasonic E85H and the Pal, I contacted Macromedia, Echostar and Panasonic quite a few times. The Pals (either the CECB or the DVR) do not do any direct TVGOS data conversion. They just do the analog conversion of the digital signal. The digital signal contains two TVGOS data streams: one for new digital TVGOS devices and one for the old analog TVGOS devices which is read correctly by those devices after the signal conversion to analog using the alternate (post conversion) zip code. The analog TVGOS channels are now a small subset of those available before the digital conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

Got you - they don't convert the current digital data, they convert the legacy analog data (which has been digitized.)

Quote:

Don't confuse digital signal transmission with data stream decoding (specific conversion and/or use). The reception of the (analog) TVGOS data stream is path independent to the (analog) TVGOS device. Whether the required data stream was broadcast in a digital or analog transmission is irrelevant. Only that an (analog) device receives the (analog) data stream. The data stream means nothing to the Pal - it does not even "see" it in the transmission. It just converts the digital broadcast (transmission) signal which contains it to analog and indirectly converts it also since it is one of several data streams (like SAP, CC etc.) contained in the transmission signal. It does not specifically decode or convert the analog TVGOS (or the others) directly and it is not even aware of it (them) since it is not an end user (decoder) of the particular data stream(s).

Quote:

So, if it just converts the signal indirectly, like SAP or CC, why then doesn't every other CECB convert the TVGOS signal to something your Panny can use? I think you are incorrect, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

That's actually an interesting question. Has anyone actually tried another box to see if it was passing along the TVGOS signal to a TVGOS device? Maybe the only thing that separates the DTV-Pal and other "pass along the TVGOS" CECB's is it's ability to be controlled by a TVGOS device like the Panasonic.

Quote:

Yes, all converters will convert the digital broadcast signal to analog with the included analog TVGOS data stream intact. But, without channel control of the CECB by the DVR when the DVR is off and in TVGOS acquisition mode, the guide information cannot be properly accessed on the carrier channel and downloaded (which is why a slaved CECB must be on 24/7). There are only a couple of CECBs that can be controlled in this manner and act as a TVGOS slave to an analog TVGOS DVR. (Of course, the remote control is also used when the DVR is on since the CECB replaces the obsolete analog tuner for all tuner operations.) That is why I have DTVPals on my two Panasonics. (My two DTVPal DVRs could also do it, but that would be ridiculous!)

Quote:

Which CECBs have you verified this with? You are the first person I have heard make this statement.

Quote:

The DTVpal is the same as every other CECB with respect to the digital to analog conversion. They all have the same specifications set by the industry and government. Only a few models are capable of supporting analog TVGOS for a DVR which is only the ability of a CECB to be put into a continuous 24/7 mode and allow the analog DVR to change its channel using an IR blaster. (Any use of the DTVpal remote while it is in this mode triggers a menu asking for confirmation that you want to end TVGOS support mode. Except for this, it is only controlled by the DVR through the IR blaster.) And remember only a small group of people use this TVGOS support capability. It makes sense that the CECB output is the same for all units regardless of TVGOS support or not. Also the DVR does not know that the analog signal is being converted from digital to analog. It sees the same exact thing it saw before the transition (though there is less TVGOS info for fewer channels since the transition). This is an analog broadcast signal with the (also) analog TVGOS data stream imbedded in it. There was never any requirement for special TVGOS conversion by any CECB. The analog DVR just needs to be able to change channels at any time whether in either an "on" or "standby" state according to its programming to tune the proper channel or access and download the TVGOS data.

Quote:

So, your answer to my question is "none"?

Anyone using a CECB other than the two designed for the purpose (DTVPal, Artec) to decode analog TVGOS data?

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #738 of 1484 Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone using a CECB other than the two designed for the purpose (DTVPal, Artec) to decode analog TVGOS data?

partsman_ba,

ucmerick is right. Only the DTVPal, and the Artec T3AP-T (note the -T), can convert the TVGOS data. Also this is not something that happens automatically, you have to put the set top box into "TVGOS" mode. When you put it into that mode, you can no longer use it as a set top box. Trying to use the DTVPal as a set top box when it is in "TVGOS" mode will result in the DTVPal alerting you that it must reboot in order to switch back to set top box mode. If you allow it to reboot, and go back to set top box mode, it will no longer convert TVGOS data.

Mark
post #739 of 1484 Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

partsman_ba,

ucmerick is right. Only the DTVPal, and the Artec T3AP-T (note the -T), can convert the TVGOS data. Also this is not something that happens automatically, you have to put the set top box into "TVGOS" mode. When you put it into that mode, you can no longer use it as a set top box. Trying to use the DTVPal as a set top box when it is in "TVGOS" mode will result in the DTVPal alerting you that it must reboot in order to switch back to set top box mode. If you allow it to reboot, and go back to set top box mode, it will no longer convert TVGOS data.

Mark

If you read ucmerick's posts again, you will see that he is claiming that ALL boxes convert the TVGOS data, as it is simply sitting in the VBI of the signal. He claims that the only thing that separates the Pal and T3AP-T is their ability to be slaved to an analog device. I'm the one claiming that there is some other conversion going on in these two boxes for TVGOS.

post #740 of 1484 Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you read ucmerick's posts again, you will see that he is claiming that ALL boxes convert the TVGOS data, as it is simply sitting in the VBI of the signal. He claims that the only thing that separates the Pal and T3AP-T is their ability to be slaved to an analog device. I'm the one claiming that there is some other conversion going on in these two boxes for TVGOS.

Sorry partsman_ba, I totally misinterpreted what he was saying, I skimmed the quoted text, saw references to using the DTVPal, and Artec, and assumed that you were questioning that you had to have one of those two devices to get TVGOS data. Thanks for setting me straight.

Specifically, I missed this incorrect statement:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucmerick
Yes, all converters will convert the digital broadcast signal to analog with the included analog TVGOS data stream intact.

After starting to write this, I questioned whether I knew for sure that the analog TVGOS data was not in the downconverted CECB signal. I realized that I didn't know that for sure. I went to my DTVPal DVR (in CECB mode), tuned to my digital CBS station (my host channel). I then took the downconverted RF, and fed it into my Sony DHG-HDD250 DVR. I tuned my Sony to channel 3, saw my downconverted CBS station, and then ran the G* Test on the Sony. The VBI test failed (no TVGOS VBI data in the stream). For good measure I exited the G* Test, and then ran it again, with the same result. There is no analog TVGOS data in the downconverted RF signal out of the DTVPal in CECB mode.

I'm sorry I clouded the issue, with my misdirected post.
Mark
post #741 of 1484 Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM

No worries - I did cloud the issue by putting the entire back-and-forth in the post!

Thanks for the research. Exactly what I thought. You even went one better and used a unit which has the functionality built in (somewhere) rather than, say, a Zenith CECB with no such claim!

post #742 of 1484 Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm happy to report that at least in my market, analog TVGOS is still alive and well in a post analog Comcast world.
A few weeks ago my Comcast area dropped basically all analogs with the exception of 2-23 (locals and public service/school type of channels). I thought for sure I'd lose analog TVGOS for my older analog only DVDR. I'm happy to report that I'm still getting downloads(although using my recorders analog tuner I can record very few things) but I was really surprised Comcast kept TVGOS going
post #743 of 1484 Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'm happy to report that at least in my market, analog TVGOS is still alive and well in a post analog Comcast world.
A few weeks ago my Comcast area dropped basically all analogs with the exception of 2-23 (locals and public service/school type of channels). I thought for sure I'd lose analog TVGOS for my older analog only DVDR. I'm happy to report that I'm still getting downloads(although using my recorders analog tuner I can record very few things) but I was really surprised Comcast kept TVGOS going

First, good news for you. I get my V8 packets via C-SPAN on cable 15, so it should stick around for a while. My cable feed has no digital inserter.

Also, if you really like your DVDR, have you thought of a SD/HD tuner? I use one on an old Toshiba RX-50 and the 400 lines is much better than analog. My analog channels look really bad but the DVR works pretty good with S-Video input from the tuner since all my SD & HD local is in the clear.
post #744 of 1484 Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

It's been on almost every news & entertainment show: President Obama will be on The View 7/29 at 11am. This is releflected on TVGUIDE.COM and ABC.COM yet not on TitanTV.com. My V8 guide is also not indicating this change. This is just an exercise in guide updates: I never watch the show. So will the listing be fixed tomorrow or not? I vote NOT, since for the last two months a Wed guide has had no ads, 1% Sun, and no Day8. Will V10 have the update? I'd make that 50-50. Again, this is a guide exercise only and does not have any viewing or political significance.
post #745 of 1484 Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been on almost every news & entertainment show: President Obama will be on The View 7/29 at 11am. This is releflected on TVGUIDE.COM and ABC.COM yet not on TitanTV.com. My V8 guide is also not indicating this change. This is just an exercise in guide updates: I never watch the show. So will the listing be fixed tomorrow or not? I vote NOT, since for the last two months a Wed guide has had no ads, 1% Sun, and no Day8. Will V10 have the update? I'd make that 50-50. Again, this is a guide exercise only and does not have any viewing or political significance.

Since my TiVo guide is correct, decided to look at Zap2It which uses the same Tribune Media source and it's updated to show Obama's appearance, although TitanTV still doesn't.
post #746 of 1484 Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since my TiVo guide is correct, decided to look at Zap2It which uses the same Tribune Media source and it's updated to show Obama's appearance, although TitanTV still doesn't.

TVGOS V8 on my Sony DHG doesn't either. My Sony 32EX700 V10 only has a 24 hour grid. I'll check later today.

Later: yes, V10 has the update for tomorrow.
post #747 of 1484 Old 07-31-2010, 07:10 AM

I have an Hitachi 42HDT79 with Comcast (digital) cable and am using a CableCard. Every time I try and use TVGOS it crashes and resets. I've tried system resets, cold resets, etc but cant seem to get it to work. I believe TVGOS is version 9.x.

Any tips for getting this to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx
PP
post #748 of 1484 Old 07-31-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:

which uses the same Tribune Media source and it's updated to show Obama's appearance, although TitanTV still doesn't.

That's just another reason I like Titan.
post #749 of 1484 Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmax View Post

I have an Hitachi 42HDT79 with Comcast (digital) cable and am using a CableCard. Every time I try and use TVGOS it crashes and resets. I've tried system resets, cold resets, etc but cant seem to get it to work. I believe TVGOS is version 9.x.

Any tips for getting this to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx
PP

I can state with 99% certainty that V9 still functions. I don't have it myself, but trust several people who have no problems. Any function of the guide or TV that can give you the version number? That aside, it could be a problem with a specific channel causing the problem. You might read some of the recent posts on the Sony DHG-HDD250/500 thread. Version 9 has been discussed there. Best of luck.

Warning: you have two strikes against you already. Comcast and a cable card. It's possible there are better ways to spend your time. You've had the TV for four years. What changed?
post #750 of 1484 Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the reply JoeKustra. I'll definitely check out the Sony thread you mentioned.

Quote:

Warning: you have two strikes against you already. Comcast and a cable card. It's possible there are better ways to spend your time. You've had the TV for four years. What changed?

Comcast + dual cable cards have worked fine for years in my Tivo (hooked to another set), so I havent had any issues with this combo. On this TV, it may have been a firmware upgrade on the TV (this is the Hitachi with with "flicker" issue). Or maybe changing my service (I got a comcast promo to add HBO for a couple months and had to get them to pair my card a couple times to recognize the new channel).

Thanks again
PP
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page