post #811 of 1484 Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

90% of the overly long Sony DVR thread is this topic, but they refused to move that discussion here where all could benefit. Though some of that discussion relates just to that unit, the rest is broad based.
It would surely make more sense if it was here instead of filling up that thread that should be related to issues exclusive to that DVR.

Not at all. What other Version-8 device that has 8-day recording capability is still in such widespread use, despite not being supported by Rovi (or Sony for that matter)? Almost all of the TVGOS issues discussed in that thread are pretty much exclusive to that particular device. It seems to work differently from any other TVGOS device ever made.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1484 Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

90% of the overly long Sony DVR thread is this topic, but they refused to move that discussion here where all could benefit. Though some of that discussion relates just to that unit, the rest is broad based.
It would surely make more sense if it was here instead of filling up that thread that should be related to issues exclusive to that DVR.

That also would apply to the DTVPal DVR (now sold by Channel Master) that had some discussion relating to their 'odd' implication of Rovi's date. I beleive most there really don't understand how the system works. Some even thought the data was through the mostly useless Ethernet port.

Some (or, I should really say most) of the owners of the LG3410a that post in that thread here are even worse. The guide is purely analog-based, but they would definitely understand more of what's been happening in the last, couple of years (and sooner, rather than finally, later) if they were to research outside of that thread (especially in the DVD Recorders forum, where the same, v7 guide is common).

I agree totally, though. I have and have had many TVGOS devices of all versions, and a lot of the info does indeed cross over. For instance, if you look at the Pal and Sony threads around the same times, you'll see common things happening as a result of nationwide problems with the digital signal now.
post #813 of 1484 Old 01-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

We are being archived. Just when I wanted to post that I got HD cable service and the TVGOS on the box has ten days of listings. Is that like a version 9.5? It's not pretty and no options or documentation.

Hi Joe,
The guide you see on your cable box is and IPG (interactive program guide) and is not related to the EPG (electronic program guide) you have in your DHG and Sony TV.

The IPG is software sold to cable operators to embed in their cable boxes and the implementation of the IPG is up to the cable operator. Usually the HD DVR will have the full version of the guide as compared to the lower end boxes.
Rovi is just one of the companies that offer guide software to cable companies.
Here is a link to Rovi IPGs:
http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ser...iders/8660.htm

The EPG is guide software that is sold to CE manufacturers for embedding into their consumer electronic products. They started to embed EPGs in TVs around 1997 and is usually embedded in the high end products.
Here is a link to Rovi EPGs:
http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ce_...urers/8851.htm

The IPGs get their updates through an internet connection at the cable headend and do not use inserters. They also get their data from a different database.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #814 of 1484 Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

That also would apply to the DTVPal DVR (now sold by Channel Master) that had some discussion relating to their 'odd' implication of Rovi's date. I beleive most there really don't understand how the system works. Some even thought the data was through the mostly useless Ethernet port.
While I agree with your logic, and I also wish TVGOS data was normally here, people play with hardware. And the Sony is really fun to play with. To steal a yogism: This thread is so inactive since nobody want to post here anymore.
post #815 of 1484 Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
Hi Joe,
The guide you see on your cable box is and IPG (interactive program guide) and is not related to the EPG (electronic program guide) you have in your DHG and Sony TV.

The IPG is software sold to cable operators to embed in their cable boxes and the implementation of the IPG is up to the cable operator. Usually the HD DVR will have the full version of the guide as compared to the lower end boxes.
Rovi is just one of the companies that offer guide software to cable companies.
Here is a link to Rovi IPGs:
http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ser...iders/8660.htm

The EPG is guide software that is sold to CE manufacturers for embedding into their consumer electronic products. They started to embed EPGs in TVs around 1997 and is usually embedded in the high end products.
Here is a link to Rovi EPGs:
http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ce_...urers/8851.htm

The IPGs get their updates through an internet connection at the cable headend and do not use inserters. They also get their data from a different database.
Thanks for the info. The big red TV Guide logo got me confused. The HD service PQ is good, but must take a top award for poor user interface. Maybe the DVR version is better. I got it since it was on sale. Two months free plus free install. I also took the leap and got the 15mbs internet service. I bought my own modem and it works great. Am I right that only 8 letters are allowed in an email address? If so, that really sucks. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Now I have four cable feeds. Nice to hear from you. Take care.
Joe
post #816 of 1484 Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
What other Version-8 device that has 8-day recording capability is still in such widespread use
There are many TV's that have the capability. They may not be in "widespread use", but they are out there.
Quote:
It seems to work differently from any other TVGOS device ever made.
For the most part, V8 in the 2007 model year for Mits TV's is about the same for starters.
The data delivery method is the same for any version.

Reading early posts in that overly long DTVPal DVR thread clearly showed most owners weren't aware of how the system worked.

There is/was a a lot of knowledge that was confined to that thread simply because owners of other devices never look there. Information that would of helped them.

It was shortsighted of those who insist everything were exclusively related to that device.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #817 of 1484 Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This thread is so inactive since nobody want to post here anymore.
Then everybody else suffers with useful info scattered all over the forum.
A single "sticky" FAQ thread cross linked to all the display & recorder forums would of been the ticket.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #818 of 1484 Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If someone wanted to compile a thorough FAQ about TVGOS, I'd be glad to host it on RabbitEars.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #819 of 1484 Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I still plan to keep the thread updated if anyone is interested, but it appears to have gone dormant.

My original intent was to act as the first reference (home-base) for TVGOS users to get a background on what it is and point where to go for further information based on their CE device implementing it or localized TVGOS broadcast issues. The info was and still is spread about the forum under threads for each of the CE devices and market OTA/Cable threads for reception. I thought I could compare and contrast the various versions, be a home-base for reports of TVGOS outages and problems, etc. That obviously never happened.

Although I no longer use TVGOS and am not interested in playing with it or researching it any longer, I will continue to add info to the first post, devices that use it, links to threads covering those devices here, etc.

The info I've put in this thread was taken from Gemstar/Macrovision/Rovi websites, posts on other forums, posts from TVGOS users in this forum and my own research and experimentation while using my TVGOS CE devices.
post #820 of 1484 Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Though 'hoaky' by todays standards, the system does work. It's just getting a 'fresh' device up and running is a chore sometimes. The only reoccurring, slight issue is, the 8th day, once or twice a month doesn't get 'populated' when it should. Surely not a big deal. After comparing the 'true' TVGOS with that striped down DTVPal version, the original software/firmware is far superior, though not as good as TiVO's pay version. But, then again, it should be better for what they charge.
Then again, I live in a market that has 'good data'.

post #821 of 1484 Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

I still plan to keep the thread updated if anyone is interested, but it appears to have gone dormant.

My original intent was to act as the first reference (home-base) for TVGOS users to get a background on what it is and point where to go for further information based on their CE device implementing it or localized TVGOS broadcast issues. The info was and still is spread about the forum under threads for each of the CE devices and market OTA/Cable threads for reception. I thought I could compare and contrast the various versions, be a home-base for reports of TVGOS outages and problems, etc. That obviously never happened.

Although I no longer use TVGOS and am not interested in playing with it or researching it any longer, I will continue to add info to the first post, devices that use it, links to threads covering those devices here, etc.

The info I've put in this thread was taken from Gemstar/Macrovision/Rovi websites, posts on other forums, posts from TVGOS users in this forum and my own research and experimentation while using my TVGOS CE devices.

Please understand that I am not a volunteer for the job. About three months ago I posted here that I was running V10 and on what and my data source. I had no expectations that posts #1 or #2 would be updated. I have the same issue with my Yamaha AVR (RX-V867) and I even sent a message to that thread starter.

When I lose data on my Sony DHG, I check around then make a post here. A few are watching & posting. It's not very active, but it's not dead either. On my TV, TVGOS is just another feature that can be turned off. On my DHG it is almost a requirement and that may be why it gets so much attention.
post #822 of 1484 Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Though 'hoaky' by todays standards, the system does work. It's just getting a 'fresh' device up and running is a chore sometimes. The only reoccurring, slight issue is, the 8th day, once or twice a month doesn't get 'populated' when it should. Surely not a big deal. After comparing the 'true' TVGOS with that striped down DTVPal version, the original software/firmware is far superior, though not as good as TiVO's pay version. But, then again, it should be better for what they charge.

I'm not going to try & convince you to get a TiVo (I have three), but instead I'll tell you where you can get their guide data. Well, at least the free public version of it. But then you probably already knew that. I'm not sure if TVGOS already provides that and much more, since I no longer use it...

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/
post #823 of 1484 Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Please understand that I am not a volunteer for the job. About three months ago I posted here that I was running V10 and on what and my data source. I had no expectations that posts #1 or #2 would be updated. I have the same issue with my Yamaha AVR (RX-V867) and I even sent a message to that thread starter.

When I lose data on my Sony DHG, I check around then make a post here. A few are watching & posting. It's not very active, but it's not dead either. On my TV, TVGOS is just another feature that can be turned off. On my DHG it is almost a requirement and that may be why it gets so much attention.

I still have some AVHDR's attached to my vintage 2007 Mit's RPTV using IEEE1394 that I'm using as backup (not needed for backup) for my two TiVo's so that instead of recording 4 channels at a time with my two TiVo's, I can do 6 using the AVHDR's. I've only utilized those AVHDR's a couple times in the last 2 years, but they did come in handy. I'm considering selling those AVHDR's as they rely on either press to record (i.e. INSTANT) or TVGOS which I don't use.

I understand there is still a big following in TVGOS and that it's reliable enough to rely on for recording, so I'll offer my AVH HDR's for sale to any of you TVGOS users. PM me for details.
post #824 of 1484 Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why is your 1st post a blank, full screen in height??
I have 1 1/2 AVHDD's that I'm not using. Add me to the list.

BTW, I was aware of Zap2It and the older TitanTV.

post #825 of 1484 Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

I still have some AVHDR's attached to my vintage 2007 Mit's RPTV using IEEE1394 that I'm using as backup (not needed for backup) for my two TiVo's so that instead of recording 4 channels at a time with my two TiVo's, I can do 6 using the AVHDR's. I've only utilized those AVHDR's a couple times in the last 2 years, but they did come in handy. I'm considering selling those AVHDR's as they rely on either press to record (i.e. INSTANT) or TVGOS which I don't use.

I understand there is still a big following in TVGOS and that it's reliable enough to rely on for recording, so I'll offer my AVH HDR's for sale to any of you TVGOS users. PM me for details.

Thanks for the offer. I have four DHG units and a Mag 2160A for the SD. That, plus two more DVD recorders is/are enough for now. My main "guide" is actually a word document since my cable feed sends a signal that prevents me from using TVGOS for scheduled recordings. It's all manual. But the quality is worth the work.
post #826 of 1484 Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I really think that the 'hokiness' of TVGOS is due in large part to the fact that it is/was paid for only by the manufacturers of CE devices. If users had paid for it, we would have made a lot more noise about keeping it well maintained. Since Gemstar/Macrovision/Rovi doesn't get any money from users, their response to them has always been pretty minimal. The manufacturers don't feel much responsibility for it, nor do the broadcasters of the signal. As a DirecTV user I have been frustrated over the years by the fact that NOBODY at DirecTV will admit to knowing anything about TVGOS whatsoever, so any contact with DirecTV regarding TVGOS has been met with a great big "HUH??".

I have really liked and used TVGOS right along, relying on it to record shows to my Panasonic EH55 DVR for the past five years (at least while DirecTV has had it working). Unfortunately they appear to have stopped broadcasting TVGOS again as of January 22. Of course no one at DirecTV will acknowledge this. Rovi is, unsurprisingly, responding with their typical glacial speed to my question about DirecTV's broadcasts.

What's a poor user to do? I've considered upgrading to a DirecTV HD DVR, but am dithering because of the lack of a good link to a DVD burner from that device.
post #827 of 1484 Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceg View Post

What's a poor user to do?

You're a "poorer" user because you did pay for TVGOS. You paid for it when you bought your TVGOS enabled device. When the government pays for something they're using your money (or money they just printed). When electronics manufacturers pay for something they're using their customer's money. The money they paid to Rovi was added to the price of the TV or DVR you bought. There is no free lunch . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #828 of 1484 Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

What's a poor user to do? I've considered upgrading to a DirecTV HD DVR, but am dithering because of the lack of a good link to a DVD burner from that device.

I agree with your post, but want to point out what you are considering is exactly what DirecTV wants.
DVR rental is a big money maker for them, when you think about it keeping TVGOS working reliably is probably not in their best interest Not that they'll tell you that, but actions speak louder than words.....
BTW your EH-55 works great with a DVR. I have mine hooked up to my Tivo HD via S-video and I get great looking anamorphic DVDs I never use the timer function on my EH-55 anymore and rely on the great Tivo guide for programming, superior to TVGOS but of course it's paid for monthly by subscribers(or in one lump sum by lifetime users like me).
post #829 of 1484 Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

BTW your EH-55 works great with a DVR. I have mine hooked up to my Tivo HD via S-video and I get great looking anamorphic DVDs

Thanks, jjeff. I realize that I'd be doing "exactly what DirecTV wants." Believe me, I have been weighing alternatives for quite a while. When my old CRT TV quit in November, I was forced into upgrading the most important part of my system. With my new Sony LED HD TV (KDL-46HX800) I'm incredibly happy with the improvement in picture quality even viewing SD broadcasts, so naturally have been wondering about how good HD would look. Since my old DirecTV receiver has only S-Video and composite outputs, I figured that the new HR-2x HD DVRs would give me HD video AND HDMI or component outputs (as does the EH-55) for my TV, but also potentially component output for a future Blu-ray burner. This was, of course, after I figured out that the HR-2x series DVRs don't burn DVDs (by design, I'm sure) and that no current Blu-ray burner has component inputs.

I have looked at using S-video into the EH-55 for burning DVDs from the HD-2x HD DVR but have wondered how good they'll be, particularly compared with Blu-ray. If they're better looking (or at least as good) than my current EH-55 DVDs, I'll certainly be happy enough.

Then again, if DirecTV continues TVGOS, why upgrade?
post #830 of 1484 Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have looked at using S-video into the EH-55 for burning DVDs from the HD-2x HD DVR but have wondered how good they'll be, particularly compared with Blu-ray. If they're better looking (or at least as good) than my current EH-55 DVDs, I'll certainly be happy enough.

While 480i DVDs will never look as good as 1080p BRs if your source is from a wide screen digital channel they can look pretty darn good. The DVDs I make are comparable to a commercial anamorphic DVD(I have a 46" 1080p Sony LCD). Now if you're not really satisfied with the quality of a commercial DVD(compared to BR) then your probably not going to like your recorded DVDs. Recording DVDs is all about the source, if your recording a letterboxed or analog source the quality won't look very good zoomed or stretched on a larger WS TV.
If you really want to record HD to DVD(or BR) your only solution will to involve a PC, I doubt we'll ever see such a product as a standalone
post #831 of 1484 Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Did a search and I wonder if my problems as posted below are actually TVGOS issues and if so, can anyone please help me?

Recently signed back up with Comcast(Houston) and had the cable re-installed. Pulled the old Sony HDD500 out of the storage room and updated the firmware to latest version. Got a Comcast cable card, installed it, and had it activated by Comcast. Redid Setup for zip and cable and then have had the unit turned off for most of the last two days, knowing that it can take 24 hours to have the units time, Guide and channel lineup updated by TVGOS.

All is working perfectly for watching HDTV including HBO-HD but have a few important glitches that I am hoping someone can help me solve.

Namely:
- the date is correct, but the time is off by 2 hours and change versus what it should be
- the guide is empty with regard to listings, although if I enter a channel such as 460 for HBO-HD and then open the Guide, it shows the channel name and number correctly
- finally, even if I try and do a manual recording, I get a "not in your channel lineup" notice and it won't record that channel even though I am watching the channel and it shows correctly in the empty guide.

What can I do to fix these problems?
- Any way to manually set the time?
- Any way to force the download of the Guide?
- Any way to manually ADD those channels to my DVR so that it will record them?

- Any simple fix which takes care of all these problems?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer!

UPDATE/EDIT:
Looked at the TVGOS site and entered my zip code and this is what it showed.
Name Comcast - Houston
Status Analog and Digital
Description Both digital and analog data is available in your area.

Data last loaded 1/16/2011 2:00:06 AM

Is the "Data last loaded" date when you had a chance to get the upload to your DVR? Or, does it mean that the last available data only went through the 24th(as in the 16th plus 8 days), and that is why my guide is empty? Or does it have no significance at all?
post #832 of 1484 Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcastardly View Post

Did a search and I wonder if my problems as posted below are actually TVGOS issues and if so, can anyone please help me?

Recently signed back up with Comcast(Houston) and had the cable re-installed. Pulled the old Sony HDD500 out of the storage room and updated the firmware to latest version. Got a Comcast cable card, installed it, and had it activated by Comcast. Redid Setup for zip and cable and then have had the unit turned off for most of the last two days, knowing that it can take 24 hours to have the units time, Guide and channel lineup updated by TVGOS.

All is working perfectly for watching HDTV including HBO-HD but have a few important glitches that I am hoping someone can help me solve.

Namely:
- the date is correct, but the time is off by 2 hours and change versus what it should be
- the guide is empty with regard to listings, although if I enter a channel such as 460 for HBO-HD and then open the Guide, it shows the channel name and number correctly
- finally, even if I try and do a manual recording, I get a "not in your channel lineup" notice and it won't record that channel even though I am watching the channel and it shows correctly in the empty guide.

What can I do to fix these problems?
- Any way to manually set the time?
- Any way to force the download of the Guide?
- Any way to manually ADD those channels to my DVR so that it will record them?

- Any simple fix which takes care of all these problems?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer!

UPDATE/EDIT:
Looked at the TVGOS site and entered my zip code and this is what it showed.
Name Comcast - Houston
Status Analog and Digital
Description Both digital and analog data is available in your area.

Data last loaded 1/16/2011 2:00:06 AM

Is the "Data last loaded" date when you had a chance to get the upload to your DVR? Or, does it mean that the last available data only went through the 24th(as in the 16th plus 8 days), and that is why my guide is empty? Or does it have no significance at all?

Where to start? First, add your location and any other important info (like cable source) to your UserCP. Its the tab up top.

No, there is no manual setting for the clock.
No, you can't force a guide download. Only V10 internet devices support that.
No, you get the channels that the Sony scans. You can manually record those channels even if they don't show on the guide.

Ain't no simple fix for nothing. Go to the DHG-HDD250/500 forum and ask for help there. It's not just a DVR, it's an adventure. I said that two years ago but never got a copyright.

That pink message about not being in your lineup. PLEASE mention that on the Sony forum. To get rid of it, check post #1 over there and get the 1.2.13 firmware installed. It should remove that manual recording problem until you get a full guide with listings.

Good luck.

I see you found the Sony forum.
post #833 of 1484 Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 'time' problem is your local station, no one else. Talk to their engineering department. Can't blame the DVR or Rovi for that.

post #834 of 1484 Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

The 'time' problem is your local station, no one else. Talk to their engineering department. Can't blame the DVR or Rovi for that.

What is my "local station" or where can I find that info? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind... found it - KHOU Channel 11 - CBS
On Comcast, this is channel 11 for SD and channel 611 for HD. Will I eventually get the TVGOS data via comcast or is this signal only on OTA?
post #835 of 1484 Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

It's OTA but may or may not be available in your local Comcast area.
I lost TVGOS close to a year ago on Comcast but haven't even tried it in the last 6 months. I got tired of resetting my DVDR only for it to find nothing
Apparently Comcast is passing on TVGOS in some areas, but not mine
Your Sony may have diagnostic screens to see exactly what's going on, for that you'd be best to check the Sony thread Joe suggested.
You could also post your question about TVGOS availability in your local Houston Comcast thread, people there might know what's going on in your particular market. You may have to give them your zip code or suburb to narrow things down.
post #836 of 1484 Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks Jeff.
post #837 of 1484 Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Well, I now have an explanation of sorts for why DirecTV appears to have dropped TVGOS -- according to an email from their 'support' department, DirecTV is now only broadcasting TVGOS between 12PM and 12AM Eastern. This means that during two of the three DLID 70 broadcasts -- the ones with program listings -- DirecTV has the TVGOS device turned off! Of course it seems logical that Gemstar/Macrovision/Rovi originally set those DLID broadcast times, and that nobody at DirecTV knows enough about TVGOS to reset them to times when DirecTV is actually sending TVGOS data.

As jjeff pointed out, it's clearly not in DirecTV's best interest to pay any attention to TVGOS. The number of subscribers who try to use TVGOS must be miniscule, at least judging by the number of TVGOS-related posts on their forums. I'm gonna try to talk DirecTV into changing to broadcasting TVGOS in the morning instead (or maybe even all 24 hours as they used to), but don't have great expectations about getting them to change.
post #838 of 1484 Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
I reside in the Minneapolis suburb of Brooklyn Park and have had continuous analog TVGOS feeding my Panasonic EH55 and 2 Pioneer 633 dvr's for years, but just lost all analog TVGOS updates last week. (My guide data is blank beginning with 2-2-11.)

The dvr's control the Comcast (Motorola) digital boxes just fine with IR blasters since the digital transition here last August, and would like to keep them going if possible. (Still like the ease of archiving, particularly with the Pioneer dvd burners.)

Around November, the Pioneers' TVGOS went into infamous "There is no data for this screen" mode a couple of times each, which was remedied by a TVGOS reset. All was pretty quiet in December, but for past the three weeks, some channels in the guide started reporting 'Title Unavailable/No Listing' but was not the same channel on each dvr and would eventually correct with data, so that seems odd for a total shutdown. Also had a couple of days with no day 8 data, but the guide would eventually refresh. It now appears that it ALL stopped dead on 1-26-2011.

Anyone else on Brooklyn Park MN Comcast still using analog TVGOS and know if it is still running? I'd like to know where to start.

Does anyone have contacts at WCCO, Comcast, or Rovi that I could contact?
post #839 of 1484 Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM

EeeCeeTee,
I think I'd head to Comcast first. After all, they are the ones who are broadcasting the TVGOS you were receiving. That is, unless you were getting your TVGOS over the air directly rather than through Comcast. If they're anything like DirecTV, though, it's quite possible that you won't get a lot of help from them.

I've had fairly good luck with Rovi Customer Support (CE_customer_support@rovicorp.com) but the time lag is pretty hard to take (a few weeks is typical in my experience). Rovi communicates primarily with those who actually broadcast TVGOS, so they will go to bat for you with Comcast once they get on the case.

It's not clear to me exactly HOW you're getting TVGOS (i.e., exactly how you're connected). If everything comes in via Comcast (no OTA antenna) then they're responsible. Sorry, I don't know any magic techniques for dealing with them.
post #840 of 1484 Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Liked: 11
I neglected to mention I was getting TVGOS through Comcast via its broadcast of local channels (2-23) in analog via cable. The local CBS station, WCCO channel 4, was/is the source channel for TVGOS, along with the digital simulcast on channel 97. In August 2010 Comcast moved all of my basic and extended cable channels to digital service and provided adapters/boxes. I figured Comcast might use that as an excuse to filter out the old analog TVGOS, but the dvr TV Guide worked without a hitch during and after the transition until last week. According to Rovi's website, my Comcast service should be still receiving both digital and analog TVGOS as of 1/16/2011.

I have the dvr's connected to the incoming cable and the digital adapters/cable box as inputs to dvr line-in for everything above channel 23. This way the old analog tuners get TV Guide data via channel 4 as they always have. This worked fine until recently.

I emailed Rovi a year ago about missing channels in their TVGOS listings, and all they did is email back saying I had to contact Pioneer (who are nearly out of business) and/or Panasonic, as if either one of them cares about their 5+ year old products and users. I'm not optimistic about getting any help from Rovi, so I was hoping someone had a contact they could recommend

I'm going to start calling Comcast on Monday to see if I can find someone who knows what TVGOS even is, and then if I can connect to someone technical who can actually look into it. Wish me luck!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page