post #901 of 1484 Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrisso256 View Post

Just click on the program to set a timer recording?

If you want something standalone and new that'll functionally do exactly what you want reliably, with decent support, is about as future-proofed as you're going to get, and don't want to mess around with using an HTPC, the only thing out there is the TiVo w/lifetime service (if you can get it with full support) - but you'll still need to use a CableCARD, and might have a monthly fee of a couple-a-few bucks for that.

Otherwise, it's the cable company's DVR.

If you have the option of satellite, U-verse or FIOS where you're at, you should check those out, to see if anyone has any acceptable package/DVR prices (just FYI - you can get Dish without a commitment, contrary to what some around this forum might lead you to believe. Also, they carry some cheaper package options than the others - their HD-only. "Dish America" packages (www.dishnetwork.com/packages/detail.aspx?pack=DA) can be an excellent deal, if the channel selection will suffice. And you can still view them just fine on an SDTV. They also have what's regarded as the best provider DVR).

(edit: I just looked it up, and the basic Dish America package w/locals, one HD-DVR, HD service to the main TV, free SD service to a second one, under the no-commitment, "Dish Home Advantage" plan would cost a new customer $99.00 for the activation fee, and only $40.99 per month regular price. That's cheap enough that even adding an extra tuner or two for other TV's still wouldn't make it too unreasonable.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1484 Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The Panasonic EH75v and EH55 have version 9.

Joe - he and his wife are used to something that "just works", and is basically "click and point", with a dependable guide, and if his they didn't care at all for messing around with setting manual timers on the Magnavox 515 (which they considered unacceptable, per his posts in the DVD Recorders forum, where he and others went 'round and 'round with this already), it's highly doubtful that they're going to find dealing with the Sony and it's foibles, using digital cable with a CableCARD satisfactory (as the Sony isn't capable of controlling an external tuner with an IR blaster. If his expanded basic channels aren't encrypted now, they will be soon, since his cable company has already told him he'll need their external, digital tuner).

I have a Sony myself, and even though I consider it the best piece of A/V gear I've ever owned, I still could not justify recommending it to him in his case.

Thanks for the information. I would go for the cable company DVR if simplicity is important. My sister just went dish because it was cheaper and she could get service here (summer) and Florida (winter) with one account and price. Her stories make it sound like the dish people are very aggresive at stealing cable customers. Their service was great and the picture was pretty good. For me, a toaster would bore me to death. I like the action and technical stuff of the DHG. "Going digital"? I'll light a candle.
post #903 of 1484 Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Liked: 10
Rammitinski,

My cable company has not said that I will need a digital tuner soon. There was speculation on the other thread that the day will come when all cable companies stop all analog NTSC service. So far, my cable company has not said this will happen. As they just got the basic cable NTSC TVGOS working again a little over a year ago by buying a Rovi box, I'm betting they will be one of the last to discontinue all analog NTSC service, I could be wrong!
post #904 of 1484 Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM

As some have said the days of TVGOS over basic NTSC cable are over, I thought this story would be interesting.
About half a week ago, our program guide on our EH75v stopped working. So we sent an e-mail to the engineer of our local cable provider. The program guide came back online yesterday and he sent us an e-mail saying a short power outage had erased the configuration in his Rovi box. He reconfigured it and as of yesterday, TVGOS over NTSC “basic” cable was repaired in Conneaut, Ohio, 44030
post #905 of 1484 Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrisso256 View Post
As some have said the days of TVGOS over basic NTSC cable are over, I thought this story would be interesting.
About half a week ago, our program guide on our EH75v stopped working. So we sent an e-mail to the engineer of our local cable provider. The program guide came back online yesterday and he sent us an e-mail saying a short power outage had erased the configuration in his Rovi box. He reconfigured it and as of yesterday, TVGOS over NTSC basic cable was repaired in Conneaut, Ohio, 44030
Happy ending are nice. Since late last year things have been very stable in the TVGOS world if postings are any indication. I have even started receiving two analog feeds from my cable company. Amazing.
post #906 of 1484 Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM

That’s why I wish somebody made a “companion” box for the import DVRs. The guys on the Panasonic import DVR page believe TVGOS is dead and there would be no market for a box that had an NTSC tuner, TVGOS decoder and enough memory to hold a few days program guide, maybe composite or S video out and an Ir transmitter or “blaster” to control the DVR import. I would buy a Panasonic import DVR to replace my aging EH75 if such a “companion” box existed. Any manufactures listening?
post #907 of 1484 Old 05-08-2011, 12:41 PM

It appears that Comcast Tucson has ceased TVGOS data yet again. My last download was 5/4/2011 and all my listings end on Wed 5/11/2011. I've left voicemail for my contact at Comcast with no reply as of yet.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Mick
post #908 of 1484 Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post

It appears that Comcast Tucson has ceased TVGOS data yet again. My last download was 5/4/2011 and all my listings end on Wed 5/11/2011. I've left voicemail for my contact at Comcast with no reply as of yet.

Mick

That's sad Mick. No way to check packets? We both still get analog TVGOS I think. Late last year there was some local corporate games and I ended up with two analog feeds but no digital feed. I hope you get stuff running again.

Every morning at 6:30am I check day8, and at 7am I check for new ads. I'm scared of losing all cable TVGOS support. I still use firmware that allows me to watch analog NTSC data packets. And I have a box of VHS tapes to get me going again.
post #909 of 1484 Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Mick

My sister TVGOS data has stopped on the 4/26/2011. She also has comcast in Chambersburg PA. The worst thing is she has no listings data since 11/23/2009 and Rovi actually gave up on fixing it and closed the case saying that they fixed the problem.

My digital data lost its host schedule packets about the same time. All other data is there but the guide doesn't know when to download anything so it is always stuck in grid building mode. This inserter is in my cable company's headend as Rovi can't get any of the broadcast stations in the Wilkes Barre market to host the inserter.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #910 of 1484 Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Mick

I just heard from my friend at Comcast, their feed comes from COX and last
week, they were moving some of the feeds around. He think they just need to find the PID and get it inserted properly. I'll update if I get more data.

Mick
post #911 of 1484 Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 125
Working with CM-7000PAL/DTVPal DVR owners on time skew issue in DC and Austin are, I wrote a small program [DLL] to monitor TVGOS packets using ATSC PCI/PCIe/USB device and your PC with TSReaderLite (or regular version).
You can see results of 22 hrs run here; screenshots shows statistics include full set of TVGOS IDs in SFO/Bay Area (it was ch29 KPIX station). I'm attached a text log what shows timestamps of each TVGOS packet (exclude dummy packets).

Would be interesting to make parallel run of the DLL and Sony DHG (with cleaned stats) for 24 hrs in your areas to compare IDs, stats and perhaps find names of the IDs.

PM me if you like to test the DLL (it's in first stage of development and can have bugs, also you could send your ideas to make it better).

ATSCMonitor.zip 332.1142578125k . file
post #912 of 1484 Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
week, they were moving some of the feeds around. He think they just need to find the PID and get it inserted properly. I'll update if I get more data.

Mick
With Cox in Phoenix my TVGOS stopped receiving new data sometime in the last 6-8 days. Guide now has no listings. KAET in PHX told me yesterday they were not aware of any issues on their end. I am assuming it is a Cox issue.

Cox has been providing analog TVGOS data though a KAET (PBS) simulcast on channel 94 for a few years.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #913 of 1484 Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM

1. A mere 7 month after it disappeared, analog TVGuideOnScreen is back with full listings via TWC, Southern Manhattan. Rovi kept on stating, on their website, that it was available all those month, but it is now actually true. Per Rovi Tech Support in past emails, the problem was never with the insertion equipment (and money?), Rovi gave to TWC, but TWC's inability to figure out how to plug it in after they had made some changes to their own system line-ups. It looked to me like TWC might be getting a little more on the ball when I noticed, several weeks ago, that TWC was no longer wasting bandwidth by showing on its analog channel 18 Only a blank screen with a continuous 24 hour countdown every day, as it had for the previous several months, but was showing the TV Guide Channel (which Rovi no longer owns, but that is a different long story.) Switching to the direct input of the TWC cable (instead of the output from the TWC cablecard in my Toshiba tv) and doing a TVGOS reset, I got, within a day, even more channel options for TVGOS program info than last year. The channel #'s and positions had no rhyme or reason, but, since, unfortunately, I have had a lot of practice, I was able to cut back to a line up, in a useful order, of channels which I actually get and watch with the correct channel #'s by using the TVGOS edit function for an hour or so. I switch back to the direct input of TWC cable each night and I have 8 days of listings with no significant gaps for over 2 weeks now.
2. Since, as I recall their SEC submission, TWC has committed to the FCC to keep sending out until July of 2012 analog channels of at least the over the air channels in the area, TWC NYC should have analog channels to use as a carrier of TVGOS analog until then (and maybe later?). JS10013
post #914 of 1484 Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Mick
FIXED 5/17/2011

The PIDs were re-directed and all is good again for TVGOS in Tucson/Comcast,
My listings are beginning to fill in and the ADs are populated again.

Mick
post #915 of 1484 Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

With Cox in Phoenix my TVGOS stopped receiving new data sometime in the last 6-8 days. Guide now has no listings. KAET in PHX told me yesterday they were not aware of any issues on their end. I am assuming it is a Cox issue.

Cox has been providing analog TVGOS data though a KAET (PBS) simulcast on channel 94 for a few years.

I am using a Panasonic DMR-EH50 with an IR blaster and a Cox STB.
Still not getting a channel line-up or data from Cox via analog. Seems those using OTA or an ATSC tuner are receiving data. At First Cox said KAET was no longer providing data, B.S. When I gave them a contact at KAET they changed their story.

Quote:

Cox Arizona: KAET no longer provides this service. We are validating on what provider is currently doing this. If they are passing the data we will transmit it as well. We will keep you updated. Thanks!

ME: I just got off the phone with, Kim, my contact at KAET, She confirmed again that KAET IS still providing the service, OTA users are also still receiving TVGOS data from KAET, So the issue is the analog simulcast VBI data inserted into Cox channel #94.
Kim is having the KAET Engineer contact me, I will have him contact Dan at Cox and update when I know more.

Quote:

Cox Arizona: We were able to verify this with KAET. Sorry for the mix-up on information. Let us know if you’re having issues with this feature. Currently our testing has shown it to be up and working.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #916 of 1484 Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FIXED 5/17/2011

The PIDs were re-directed and all is good again for TVGOS in Tucson/Comcast,
My listings are beginning to fill in and the ADs are populated again.

Mick

When you say all is good in Tucson now, Are both NTSC and ATSC tuners receiving data? Still no analog data in Phoenix for me. After a factory reset I am not even receiving the time, just a flashing 12:00 clock.

post #917 of 1484 Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 PM

I was watching OTA tonight and I tried to pull up TVGOS on my Sony KDL40VL160 TV. Nothing comes up, no grid, just a black screen. I re-ran the initial setup and everything went fine (it even found the correct time from the TVG signal), but when it got to the TVGOS setup, it just exited to TV without even starting. The TV has no problems with the XMB menu or tuning any channels, just no TVGOS. Any ideas?

I think this might be part of a larger problem as the TV will no longer connect to the internet. I re-ran the network setup and it refuses to find a network connection. I even manually input my netowrk settings and it still won't connect.
post #918 of 1484 Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

When you say all is good in Tucson now, Are both NTSC and ATSC tuners receiving data? Still no analog data in Phoenix for me. After a factory reset I am not even receiving the time, just a flashing 12:00 clock.

I discovered the problem with analog TVGOS data from Cox in Arizona. Hopefully it was a mistake and Cox will fix it. Can the TVGOS VBI data be read from a digital channel if one is using an S-Video output of a Cable STB for the input to the device?

On May 4th or 5th Cox changed the feed on Channel #94 KAET from Analog @ 183MHz which contained the TVGOS data to a Digital re-mapping of the Digital version of Channel #8 @ 669MHz without the TVGOS data.

I now don't see the purpose of having two separate SD channels now with the same data. I believe that was the main purpose of creating Analog Channel #94 when Cox went all Digital through the STB. Channel #94 also used to carry a Spanish SAP, which seems to be gone.

Attached are screenshots of the analog frequency prior to May 4th.
LL
LL
LL

post #919 of 1484 Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

I was watching OTA tonight and I tried to pull up TVGOS on my Sony KDL40VL160 TV. Nothing comes up, no grid, just a black screen. I re-ran the initial setup and everything went fine (it even found the correct time from the TVG signal), but when it got to the TVGOS setup, it just exited to TV without even starting. The TV has no problems with the XMB menu or tuning any channels, just no TVGOS. Any ideas?

I think this might be part of a larger problem as the TV will no longer connect to the internet. I re-ran the network setup and it refuses to find a network connection. I even manually input my netowrk settings and it still won't connect.

TVG is working fine on my Sony W4100 LCD. A long shot but I'd try pulling the power for overnight to see if it resets anything?? You might also want to try re-running the initial setup. I've never ran into your problem but my W4100 doesn't have network ability, just TVGOS.
Good luck!
post #920 of 1484 Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
TVG is working fine on my Sony W4100 LCD. A long shot but I'd try pulling the power for overnight to see if it resets anything?? You might also want to try re-running the initial setup. I've never ran into your problem but my W4100 doesn't have network ability, just TVGOS.
Good luck!
Finally had a chance to mess with my TV. I pulled the plug for 10 min. and when I powreed it back on TVGOS was fine. Go figure. Thanks for the advice.
post #921 of 1484 Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 AM

My broadcast TVGOS is over 15 hours behind the actually time. I called the local CBS affiliate here in Columbus, OH this morning and was told that TVGOS was turned off due to interference with DirecTV and DishNet. No idea from the CBS engineer's office when or even IF it will resume. Bummer!
post #922 of 1484 Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

hi, I've been reading this forum about TVGOS and tried several remedies but... nothing seemed to work
Sony KDL46Z4100 model, TVGOS stopped working several months ago. The software/firmware was updated. In Los Angeles/Long Beach, 90815. OTA antenna on the roof. No cable, no sat but we have hooked up the WII for netflix ( I had this problem before netflix).
I've shut the TV off overnight (it did ask for time/set up but the TVGOS was still what I had before. I allowed auto channel select hoping to it clear up). I get channel call letters, even program name on the header when changing channels but the guide has no info. Is it just me? Have I not done something? thanks
post #923 of 1484 Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iver81 View Post

hi, I've been reading this forum about TVGOS and tried several remedies but... nothing seemed to work
Sony KDL46Z4100 model, TVGOS stopped working several months ago. The software/firmware was updated. In Los Angeles/Long Beach, 90815. OTA antenna on the roof. No cable, no sat but we have hooked up the WII for netflix ( I had this problem before netflix).
I've shut the TV off overnight (it did ask for time/set up but the TVGOS was still what I had before. I allowed auto channel select hoping to it clear up). I get channel call letters, even program name on the header when changing channels but the guide has no info. Is it just me? Have I not done something? thanks

Do you know what TV station in your area carry TVGOS stream ? What signal level on it ? Is it steady ? No multipath ?
post #924 of 1484 Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:

I get channel call letters, even program name on the header when changing channels but the guide has no info. Is it just me? Have I not done something? thanks

In the absence of TVGOS PSIP provides call letters and program name. I agree with P. Smith, sounds like a problem with your local station providing TVGOS(usually CBS).
post #925 of 1484 Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabuck View Post
My broadcast TVGOS is over 15 hours behind the actually time. I called the local CBS affiliate here in Columbus, OH this morning and was told that TVGOS was turned off due to interference with DirecTV and DishNet. No idea from the CBS engineer's office when or even IF it will resume. Bummer!
Ever wonder how an OTA data stream can cause problems with a satellite signal? Ever wonder if Dish causes problems with DirectTV? Sounds like male bovine excrement to me. And why would a broadcast station even care? Did Dish/Direct threaten to sue or call the FCC?

Are you saying only the time is wrong, and all the channels and listings are correct? That's a real trick.
post #926 of 1484 Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a very nice set. I have a Sony EX700. It has V10 TVGOS that comes via the internet. Your location, from rabbitear.info, indicates KCBS as a source but the last update was 2009 and doesn't specify the version.

From what you describe, you seem to have the program information source set to "broadcaster". That would mean PSIP only. I have found setting mine to "TV Guide" and then setting the guide data source to internet will set the clock. When I disable the guide, the clock continues to be updated but not the listings. I do receive V8 TVGOS from analog cable, but the EX700 doesn't care.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. I'm cable only, so PSIP only shows on some of my old NTSC channels and is absent on all my clear QAM SD & HD channels.
post #927 of 1484 Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Do you know what TV station in your area carry TVGOS stream ? What signal level on it ? Is it steady ? No multipath ?

Its seems that CBS channel 2.1 is for Los Angeles. I have Version 9.xxx. Not sure of signal level, steady, multipath. The TVGOS clock and settings are current. Update Status: "In progress". The guide shows ads, etc but where the programs should be shows "No data" I've read here that others in Los Angeles have TVGOS, but most have cable/Sat or a DVD with TVGOS and it works.

Thanks all for your help... in advance.
post #928 of 1484 Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Its seems that CBS channel 2.1 is for Los Angeles. I have Version 9.xxx. Not sure of signal level, steady, multipath. The TVGOS clock and settings are current. Update Status: "In progress". The guide shows ads, etc but where the programs should be shows "No data" I've read here that others in Los Angeles have TVGOS, but most have cable/Sat or a DVD with TVGOS and it works.

Since you live in a big city try changing your zip code to one that surrounds you. The cities usually have zip code in sequence like 10001, 10002, 10003, etc. If you have zip codes in sequence then try the first one.
The zip codes that worked with analog TVGOS might not work with digital TVGOS as the DMA statistics have changed and Rovi used the updated stats for the digital stream.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #929 of 1484 Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can validate a zipcode by using www.noaa.gov as a test. There are a lot of invalid zipcodes. I discovered this when one showed up on a shipment, since it was reserved for the sorting center. If I used 17852 or 17902 I would never get listings since those are invalid. With a metro area like LA I'm sure there are many valid numbers. Checking on NOAA.GOV only takes a second.

TVGOS on satellite? That's interesting. Check your phone book. It might have a valid zipcode map. Also, the zipcode of your cable feed office is a good bet.
post #930 of 1484 Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

TVGOS on satellite?

The Panasonic EH55 and EH75V with v9 are compatible with Direct and Dish.

He must be using one of those two models with DirecTV, if it's actually getting the appropriate guide data (it doesn't get guide data with Dish - you program the recordings through the Dish tuner's guide. I have one of each model, and have been using them with Dish that way for a few years).

I know it sounds improbable for the unit to be getting guide data through the Direct tuner, but some people here have sworn it works, even without adding an antenna to get it OTA (you can get the guide data for it OTA, though - I've actually set up for and gotten it, just for the heck of it).

According to the setup procedure, you don't need an antenna to get it. Supposedly gets it right from the Direct tuner. I have no clue how it actually works. Maybe Jed1 knows (all I do know is that I was able to get the call letters for some of the local stations when I had my v7 recorders hooked up to my Dish tuner, without an antenna hooked up. Figure that one out. It wasn't even v9, nor was it with Direct. Yeah, I know you're probably thinking I must've been high, but I swear to you, it actually happened).

The way those two models work with Dish, though, is a lot easier to fathom. The tuner sends out some kind of cueing signal, which starts and stops the recorder. It basically works just like if you were using a DTV Pal DVR. It goes into a "pause" mode two minutes before it starts, and you can pad the times, etc.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page