post #991 of 1484 Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepowered View Post

I have 4 Sony DHG units. They all quit receiving listing updates around the 1st of October. Pretty suspicious since it is the beginning of a fiscal year. I receive the info over-the-air only. I have contacted WJCT and have not received a response yet. Does anyone have any info whether WJCT is still broadcasting TVGOS info?

Do you know how to tell? From Mark on the DHG forum:

>>>
If you are running the 1.2.21 firmware, and there is any TVGOS data to be found on the cable line (analog data or digital data), the DHG will find it.

You can go into the 753 menu, and check the clock in the upper left, and see if it has a [2] next to it. If it is a [2], and not a [3], then there is no data. However if it is a [3], then the DHG has been getting data.

Mark
<<<<br />
Same logic applies for OTA data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1484 Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry: It's a Sony NSX-24GT1
Ok, I'm new to this built-in guide stuff but here it goes: I got a new Sony TV NSX-24GT1 the other day and my Rovi Guide still says 'No data' in the guide. When I get into the Guide: 'Settings'/'Guide Information Screen' and bunch of lines of information are listed but I can't find any details on what they mean.
There is one labled: Guide Version 10.01.100
Among others, there is one: 'Sect OK: CurChan 0, 86521'
This 86521 is slowly going up, it was 65902? or something yesterday. Does that mean it is downloading guide data?? Is there any other usefull info within the Guide Information Screen that would tell me if this thing is working or not. It's hooked up to the straight Cable feed for Cox Cable, Omaha. Accoording to the Rovi web site Cox does provide and analog and digital guide feed for zip 68124, the one I entered.
Thanks for any help on this, like I said, I'm new to this Rovi guide stuff. (I'm also surprised that with an internet connected TV it just doesn't get guide data from the internet, but anyway.) You know, just a quick thought, I think I'll post this in my HDTV city specific thread also to see in someone else in Omaha has this working.
post #993 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

Ok, I'm new to this built-in guide stuff but here it goes: I got a new Sony TV NXC-24GT1 the other day and my Rovi Guide still says 'No data' in the guide. When I get into the Guide: 'Settings'/'Guide Information Screen' and bunch of lines of information are listed but I can't find any details on what they mean.
There is one labled: Guide Version 10.01.100
Among others, there is one: 'Sect OK: CurChan 0, 86521'
This 86521 is slowly going up, it was 65902? or something yesterday. Does that mean it is downloading guide data?? Is there any other usefull info within the Guide Information Screen that would tell me if this thing is working or not. It's hooked up to the straight Cable feed for Cox Cable, Omaha. Accoording to the Rovi web site Cox does provide and analog and digital guide feed for zip 68124, the one I entered.
Thanks for any help on this, like I said, I'm new to this Rovi guide stuff. (I'm also surprised that with an internet connected TV it just doesn't get guide data from the internet, but anyway.) You know, just a quick thought, I think I'll post this in my HDTV city specific thread also to see in someone else in Omaha has this working.

I have a Sony 32EX700 with V10 guide. It is disabled (mostly). If I remember, you need to chose a source for the guide data (internet being an option for me.) I don't think I have ever heard of a cable or OTA source of V10 TVGOS. My cable feed includes two analog V8 TVGOS feeds that work ok with my old DHG DVR units. V9 is also out there, but V7 is quite rare and I lost it two years ago. It was used on my LG LST-3410A DVR.

After enabling the internet guide I could choose to perform an immediate update or wait until midnight (which must be enabled also). I stopped the guide use when it caused the TV's "favorites" function to fail after mapping some raw QAM channels to the guide's pretty analog numbers. The TV/guide were not cable card aware either. So good luck. You have a new model. Keep checking for updates. With an internet interface the updates can be set to automatic.
post #994 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for that info, I'll keeping working on it. I didn't know that the different 'versions' of streams are not 'very' compatable, etc, that's interesting. Also if the clear QAM isn't handled right, then it won't do me much good either. Anyway, that's perfect info and why I always ask about stuff on AVSForum!
post #995 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that info, I'll keeping working on it. I didn't know that the different 'versions' of streams are not 'very' compatable, etc, that's interesting. Also if the clear QAM isn't handled right, then it won't do me much good either. Anyway, that's perfect info and why I always ask about stuff on AVSForum!

To the best of my knowledge, no version of TVGOS understands raw QAM. However, V10 does show the "unknown" digital channels and allows you to map a guide channel to one. That's how I found the bug. I disabled TVGOS since it's only good for 24 hours, and I watch almost everything time shifted anyhow. My "guide" from Rovi displays channels and listings from about 2009 so I can use that for the "guide" like you use a book. All my recording is done manually. My experience is about 9 months old, so things may have changed.
post #996 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 130
For those serious wanderers - use PC card (USB/PCI/PCIe) what is support QAM and TSReaderLite (www.coolstf.com), check the your TVGOS stream. I can point to my DLL what would help decoding the stream at high level (ask 'Trip at VA' for it).
post #997 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I don't think I have ever heard of a cable or OTA source of V10 TVGOS.

The AVS Forum member "jjeff" has mentioned often that he receives the V10 guide OTA on his Sony LCD (Minneapolis market).

Cable, I don't know about. I would think the answer would be right there in the setup.
post #998 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

For those serious wanderers - use PC card (USB/PCI/PCIe) what is support QAM and TSReaderLite (www.coolstf.com), check the your TVGOS stream. I can point to my DLL what would help decoding the stream at high level (ask 'Trip at VA' for it).

I downloaded the program and in my first attempts, with a Haupauge WinTv HVR 1600 (that's in my PC and connected to COX cable), in the scan's I didn't get any channels but I didn't have much time to 'play' with this yet so I'll look at this some more. Thanks for this tip, it makes since to me that if I can find the TVGOS data on a cable channel the Sony should be able to find it also.( BTW: I do get the clear QAM cable channels (and basic cable analog channels) with this tuner card so I do know it's working the the PC.)
post #999 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

When I get into the Guide: 'Settings'/'Guide Information Screen' and bunch of lines of information are listed but I can't find any details on what they mean.

See if this helps. http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgosdoc

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1000 of 1484 Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The AVS Forum member "jjeff" has mentioned often that he receives the V10 guide OTA on his Sony LCD (Minneapolis market).

Cable, I don't know about. I would think the answer would be right there in the setup.

Reading those posts where mentions a version(s) of TVGOS guide OTA, I'm keep trying to say - it's a version of the box's software [FW], not a version of TVGOS data streaming via sat/coax or OTA.

The stream is the same. Perhaps it could be numbered as v2, after v1 what was inside VBI of analog signal. I think I've seen the encapsulation of that old GEMSTAR 'packets' into DVB's 188 bytes packets while I did writing TSReader's DLL to count them.
post #1001 of 1484 Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

See if this helps. http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgosdoc

- Trip

Thanks for all the info everyone! I had printed out the TVGOS Diag. doc already but my problem is that what I have in my Sony only 'loosely' matches that doc, very few things, if any of the 'System Info' in that doc matches what's in my Rovi System Info screen. But its info is definately better than nothing and still helps. Once I gather enough info I'll send emails to COX and PBS and see what they say. That's interesting that the stream is consistant, that gives me more hope that I might be able to get this going. (I am getting the impression that not many people really use this feature in the mainstream. I guess most people are on cable boxes, like my main tv's are.)
post #1002 of 1484 Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the info everyone! I had printed out the TVGOS Diag. doc already but my problem is that what I have in my Sony only 'loosely' matches that doc, very few things, if any of the 'System Info' in that doc matches what's in my Rovi System Info screen. But its info is definately better than nothing and still helps. Once I gather enough info I'll send emails to COX and PBS and see what they say. That's interesting that the stream is consistant, that gives me more hope that I might be able to get this going. (I am getting the impression that not many people really use this feature in the mainstream. I guess most people are on cable boxes, like my main tv's are.)

I have a HD cable box, but it's used rarely. I also have four Sony DHG units that virtually require TVGOS. They still sell for over $250 on ebay.

Don't forget to correct your TV model number: "I got a new Sony TV NXC-24GT1", which doesn't exist on SonyStyle.com.

And to really get them to ignore you, mention that "GT" stands for Google TV. That should be enough to get their attention.

But, I wish you luck. You will need it. You would be better served to start a "Google TV" thread on this forum. I haven't looked, but there may already be one.
post #1003 of 1484 Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I didn't notice that I screwed up the model number. Yes, it has Google TV software but I'm not sure if that changes the TVGOS part of the software, in fact I think the Rovi sofware might run on the chip that runs the TV and not on the Atom processor that runs Linux/Google TV. I'm sure the Rovi software must work in most cases I'm just not sure why it's not working for me at my location and if the problem is correctable or not.
post #1004 of 1484 Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Actually my TVGOS says Version 9.01.54, it's on a Sony W4100 LCD and other than a couple lockups(which require a unplug/replug of power to get my listings going again) it's been working great.
post #1005 of 1484 Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I didn't notice that I screwed up the model number. Yes, it has Google TV software but I'm not sure if that changes the TVGOS part of the software, in fact I think the Rovi sofware might run on the chip that runs the TV and not on the Atom processor that runs Linux/Google TV. I'm sure the Rovi software must work in most cases I'm just not sure why it's not working for me at my location and if the problem is correctable or not.

I forgot to mention that there is a "TV Guide" and an "iGuide". My box uses the iGuide, with a TV Guide logo, and you get a few hours of program information. It's not the real TVGOS. With V8 I get 8 days of listings. My TV's V10 is 24 hours also.

I don't know what I would get with an OTA solid ATSC/PSIP input.
post #1006 of 1484 Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepowered View Post

I have 4 Sony DHG units. They all quit receiving listing updates around the 1st of October. Pretty suspicious since it is the beginning of a fiscal year. I receive the info over-the-air only. I have contacted WJCT and have not received a response yet. Does anyone have any info whether WJCT is still broadcasting TVGOS info?

I've had an incorrect clock since probably about 3 days ago and am no longer receiving new guide data. I have emailed Rovi and will see what they say.
post #1007 of 1484 Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

I've had an incorrect clock since probably about 3 days ago and am no longer receiving new guide data. I have emailed Rovi and will see what they say.

Rovi hasn't stopped sending data. Are you receiving packets? Better to beat on your local feed until they confirm or deny TVGOS support. But you have been down this road before. Best of luck.
post #1008 of 1484 Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rovi hasn't stopped sending data. Are you receiving packets? Better to beat on your local feed until they confirm or deny TVGOS support. But you have been down this road before. Best of luck.

The last time I had issues I contacted my local PBS affiliate, and they said everything was working correctly. Only after several back and forth emails with Rovi did things start working.......

"Dear adam cribb, **

This email is to notify you of recent changes made to your case:

Data has been restored to the area. *Please reset the device or run through the guide setup again and shut the unit off to allow listings to populate.

If you have any other questions, please contact us at any time and reference case # 1139226.

Best,
The Rovi Support Team

Rovi – Join the Entertainment "
post #1009 of 1484 Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Update-

The DHG hooked up to both cable and OTA is receiving data and has a clock with correct time. The other cable only DHG is not receiving data from Comcast ( has a 2 in the 7531... menu).
post #1010 of 1484 Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update-

The DHG hooked up to both cable and OTA is receiving data and has a clock with correct time. The other cable only DHG is not receiving data from Comcast ( has a 2 in the 7531... menu).

Logically, you would now check the 753... menu to see what (channel/feed) is setting your good clock.
post #1011 of 1484 Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Update-

I never post an email on a forum but I will do it in this case. This is a reply from Rovi to my sister about the loss of analog and digital TVGOS on her comcast system in central PA.

Quote:

Hello

Unfortunately it is up to Comcast whether or not they are passing our data.
Comcast nationally has been moving to an all digital feed that is not supported by most of our older products.

Additional Information and FAQs can be found in our knowledge base at http://www.rovicorp.com/support/ce

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
CE Technical Support
Rovi

Nobody, not even the broadcasters, have to cooperate with Rovi because TVGOS is privately owned data stream and is not covered by any FCC regulations.

Your options shortly down the road, for TVGOS and the DHG, will become limited to OTA only.
In the next year or two most of the cable systems will be all digital and even possibly move to MPEG 4 compression and 1 GHz bandwidth, which will leave only a few options to receive and decode a digital cable signal.
These are:
1: Use cable company hardware
2: Use a Windows 7 computer with Windows Media Center and the Ceton tv tuner.
3: Possibly the new Tivo elite DVR with quad tuners. I am not sure but I think the new Tivo can decode an MPEG 4 stream.

As I stated in past posts Comcast is not even passing digital TVGOS anymore in my sisters system and have told her to get one of their set top boxes.

I am seriously considering option 1 when my cable company does the analog shutdown as it will be the easiest and less complicated to implement. I expect this to happen in the next year or year and a half.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1012 of 1484 Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

In the next year or two most of the cable systems will be all digital and even possibly move to MPEG 4 compression and 1 GHz bandwidth, which will leave only a few options to receive and decode a digital cable signal.

I am seriously considering option 1 when my cable company does the analog shutdown as it will be the easiest and less complicated to implement. I expect this to happen in the next year or year and a half.

I understand and I think option 2 is really a bad idea. You might look at the CM-7400:

http://www.channelmastertv.com/

It could be vaporware, and there is more posting about it on this forum. But I'm not terribly hopeful. More questions than answers.

I still owe you an antenna. I sort of scattered the parts. Your post is a reminder to gather everything together. I have more free time since being fired two weeks ago. I'm slowly getting back to normal. I'll send you an email when I get it all together and working.

I only lost power for 6 seconds last weekend. Amazing. I have enabled V10 TVGOS on my TV with no problems so far. If it makes it for two weeks without crashing I will start mapping channels.

I called SE two weeks ago about a cable card for one DHG. They said "ain't got none". Sure.

Maybe option 2 isn't too bad:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ce...-tuner-review/ sounds nice.
post #1013 of 1484 Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

V8 TVGOS is slow since the prep for DST. If the first 20 seconds of a show are important, you may wish to compensate. The internet V10 is ok now, but it might change at local midnight if you have it enabled. I don't have V9 info.
post #1014 of 1484 Old 11-02-2011, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

V8 TVGOS is slow since the prep for DST. If the first 20 seconds of a show are important, you may wish to compensate. The internet V10 is ok now, but it might change at local midnight if you have it enabled. I don't have V9 info.

I have never noticed this happening before. Probably because I have always padded my recordings with 1 minute start and end times. TSReader shows the error to be about -26 seconds. Even my Panasonic DMR-E95H with V7 TVGOS is off by about -30 seconds.

The people on the DTVPal forum say it has been happening for a couple of weeks. DTVPals have issues with every time change. A lot of users delete all their timers before the time change, and recreate them after, because their timers can be off by an hour after the time change. They are quick to blame TVGOS, but I know it has nothing to do with TVGOS, and everything to do with the buggy DTVPal software, since the Sonys never have this kind of issue.

Mark
post #1015 of 1484 Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

.... The people on the DTVPal forum say it has been happening for a couple of weeks........

I've noticed it for a couple of weeks now. Almost everything I record is on CBS. Normally, my recording would always contain about 10 seconds of the commercial just prior to the show starting. Lately my recording starts about 10 or 20 seconds into the show. I thought CBS was messing with the start times . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #1016 of 1484 Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

I have never noticed this happening before. Probably because I have always padded my recordings with 1 minute start and end times. TSReader shows the error to be about -26 seconds. Even my Panasonic DMR-E95H with V7 TVGOS is off by about -30 seconds.

The people on the DTVPal forum say it has been happening for a couple of weeks. DTVPals have issues with every time change. A lot of users delete all their timers before the time change, and recreate them after, because their timers can be off by an hour after the time change. They are quick to blame TVGOS, but I know it has nothing to do with TVGOS, and everything to do with the buggy DTVPal software, since the Sonys never have this kind of issue.

Mark

I'm pretty sure this is recent, like since Monday. The start of some shows is usually the same, like The Daily Show. Some always vary, like Leno and Letterman. I guess normal (for me) has always been 6 seconds slow. Every time change there is a one hour offset of day 8.

It might not matter, but on the DHG the Clocks2 N Sane counter has stopped moving too. It usually increments every 15 seconds.
post #1017 of 1484 Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I understand and I think option 2 is really a bad idea. You might look at the CM-7400:

http://www.channelmastertv.com/

It could be vaporware, and there is more posting about it on this forum. But I'm not terribly hopeful. More questions than answers.

I still owe you an antenna. I sort of scattered the parts. Your post is a reminder to gather everything together. I have more free time since being fired two weeks ago. I'm slowly getting back to normal. I'll send you an email when I get it all together and working.

I only lost power for 6 seconds last weekend. Amazing. I have enabled V10 TVGOS on my TV with no problems so far. If it makes it for two weeks without crashing I will start mapping channels.

I called SE two weeks ago about a cable card for one DHG. They said "ain't got none". Sure.

Maybe option 2 isn't too bad:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ce...-tuner-review/ sounds nice.

Sorry to hear about you losing your job. I know a few people who worked at the different wharehouses at Highridge since they opened and got fired for no reason. They were all replaced with lower cost workers.

I am thinking about trying the Ceton tuner since I revived my Vista PC. I am going to upgrade it to Windows 7 and use it as a recording device. I am also considering the Silicon Dust Homerun HD Prime and then stream the cable feed over my gigabit network.

I am going to have some free time in the next two weeks so this will be a great time to mess with the antenna to see what I can get. I am shooting for Harrisburg and Philadelphia as they both have TVGOS available.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1018 of 1484 Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Thought I would post this in case any Angelenos wander through looking for an answer. The Rovi inserter at KCBS failed mid-afternoon Monday. I just got a very nice response from their Ops & Engr Director letting me know the replacement inserter will be brought on line around 4AM Thurs.

On another note I see others mentioning the start times for recording being late by around 20 secs. I've been noticing it for about 2 weeks now and it's occured on all channels/programs that I record. Irritating to say the least
post #1019 of 1484 Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Thought I would post this in case any Angelenos wander through looking for an answer. The Rovi inserter at KCBS failed mid-afternoon Monday. I just got a very nice response from their Ops & Engr Director letting me know the replacement inserter will be brought on line around 4AM Thurs.

On another note I see others mentioning the start times for recording being late by around 20 secs. I've been noticing it for about 2 weeks now and it's occured on all channels/programs that I record. Irritating to say the least

Just got slower overnight. Clocks2 value of N Sane still not moving.
post #1020 of 1484 Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got slower overnight. Clocks2 value of N Sane still not moving.

If you could put a 'sniffer' on your source, you would know what going on with TVGOS stream.
Any cheap PCI/USB card what can receive your type [OTA, QAM] would works with TSReaderLite on Windows OS.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page