post #1081 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

No ads for over a week. Tonight no packets from my analog inserter over my cable system. Please tell me this is local.

Joe,
I just sent an email to Rovi about the ads missing so I will probably hear back in two or three weeks. It seems that this is only occuring in our DMA so there must be an issue with the server for our DMA.

I also told them that I still have no host schedule packets for the digital inserter in my headend and also with the antenna you gave me I did manage to lock onto WHP and got a guide with TVG1 but when I set it up with the Artec I could not get any data from WHP legacy stream. Now wonder my sisters V8 guide stopped working in chambersburg.

Oh yea if you haven't noticed there is now 644 channels availalbe for our guides. I got Rovi to add HRTV to the editor.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Joe,
I just sent an email to Rovi about the ads missing so I will probably hear back in two or three weeks. It seems that this is only occuring in our DMA so there must be an issue with the server for our DMA.

I also told them that I still have no host schedule packets for the digital inserter in my headend and also with the antenna you gave me I did manage to lock onto WHP and got a guide with TVG1 but when I set it up with the Artec I could not get any data from WHP legacy stream. Now wonder my sisters V8 guide stopped working in chambersburg.

Oh yea if you haven't noticed there is now 644 channels availalbe for our guides. I got Rovi to add HRTV to the editor.

I figure that on a holiday weekend there is no person at Rovi to feed the hamsters that run to power their servers. Happened again this weekend. Today, back to normal.

In preparing for doomsday, I have been testing a TiVo, PViX and CM-7400. Tivo is nice, but I need to get the cable card. I can't comment on the other devices.

Someone started a rumor that ION subchannels are using MPEG-4 and causing problems.

See you around. I don't work anymore, so let me know if you want to stop by. My step-father is dying so I'm in Fountain Springs a lot.
post #1083 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

[...]
[...]

Is that an Artec T3APR-T that you have? Only the -T model will convert the legacy TVGOS data.

Mark
post #1084 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Is that an Artec T3APR-T that you have? Only the -T model will convert the legacy TVGOS data.

Mark

Yes this is the model I have. I paid a steep premium price for a new in box one, $119.

post #1085 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I figure that on a holiday weekend there is no person at Rovi to feed the hamsters that run to power their servers. Happened again this weekend. Today, back to normal.

In preparing for doomsday, I have been testing a TiVo, PViX and CM-7400. Tivo is nice, but I need to get the cable card. I can't comment on the other devices.

Someone started a rumor that ION subchannels are using MPEG-4 and causing problems.

See you around. I don't work anymore, so let me know if you want to stop by. My step-father is dying so I'm in Fountain Springs a lot.

Sorry to hear the bad news about your step father.

I think we may make it through this year with analog TVGOS but I don't expect it to last after next year. I figure MPEG 4 is coming to cable in next few years as I wouldn't be suprised if comcast is the first to do so. I wouldn't doubt that all the new hardware in their headends has this capability already built in. If SE is building a new headend for my division and hazelton, the new hardware will also have the capability.

The Tivo is your best bet. The other two I wouldn't waste the money on. When the time comes for me I most likely will get two Tivos if TVGOS becomes a problem in my division.

I checked the Zap2it listings for your division today and they are up to date so when you get a cablecard and subscription you should be good to go. I asked them to update my line up and it only took three days to do. Rovi takes about 2 to three months and multiple emails to accomplish.

I think that MPEG 4 with ION sub channels rumor is just that.... a bad rumor. This would be in violation of the ASTC broadcast standards and besides there is no equipment made to decode a MPEG 4 OTA signal so nobody will ever see the sub channels. Unless ION wants nobody to see them.

post #1086 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Yes this is the model I have. I paid a steep premium price for a new in box one, $119.

Ouch, I couldn't believe it when I saw that they were going for that. I thought $59.95 was too high when they first came out. LOL
post #1087 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Ouch, I couldn't believe it when I saw that they were going for that. I thought $59.95 was too high when they first came out. LOL

My wallet is still hurting because I bought it with the idea of using it to get the guide working on my sisters V8 RCA, but the problem appears to be with the legacy stream out of WHP. I really don't expect Rovi to fix this either.

I was thinking of installing a decent antenna this spring to pull in KYW out of philadelphia to test the Artec, but TVGOS isn't working there either.

And it doesn't look like we will get TVGOS installed in a Wilkes Barre broadcast station at all so I can't test the Artec locally.

post #1088 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think that MPEG 4 with ION sub channels rumor is just that.... a bad rumor.

Don't bet on it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1089 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Don't bet on it.

Ken,

There is no one that even makes MPEG 4 equipment to use with a ASTC tv signal. Not only to encode but also to decode the signal.

Even if it was true who would be watching these channels because nobody has MPEG 4 decoding capabilities in their hardware at home. Even cable/sat operators don't have MPEG 4 decoding equipment for ATSC streams.

post #1090 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Rumor? Try fact.

http://www.rabbitears.info/screencap.../51969-0_0.htm

There they are. Ten MPEG-4 subchannels, seven of which are encrypted in that capture. There are now eight present on WPXA as I look at the signal right this moment, all of which are encrypted.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1091 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Rumor? Try fact.

There they are. Ten MPEG-4 subchannels, seven of which are encrypted in that capture. There are now eight present on WPXA as I look at the signal right this moment, all of which are encrypted.

- Trip

I did explain to ppl why DTV Pal and its DVR brother has the smart card.
In your capture: CA System ID: 6243 (0x1863) Nagravision - that's the direct link to that smart card use. Not telling these boxes do support MPEG-4 decompression.
post #1092 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ken,

There is no one that even makes MPEG 4 equipment to use with a ASTC tv signal. Not only to encode but also to decode the signal.

Even if it was true who would be watching these channels because nobody has MPEG 4 decoding capabilities in their hardware at home. Even cable/sat operators don't have MPEG 4 decoding equipment for ATSC streams.

Please note specs at end:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...vixM6620NP.asp

http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm

This may be two devices that could decode a MPEG-4 data stream. I get ION in vsb, SD and HD without problems, including qubo in SD. WQPX.
post #1093 of 1484 Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ken,

You're missing the point.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1094 of 1484 Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Rumor? Try fact.

- Trip

OK. I see what this is. This is not a movement to MPEG 4 but the beginning of encryption of OTA content. This conditional acess sytem was approved by the ATSC in july of 1999. I never thought that any broadcaster would put it to use.
The channels in MPEG 4 are all encrypted which means the end user will have to get a box from the station and pay a monthly fee to see the channels. The box must have a constant connection like a phone or broadband internet.
Apparently, Ion must think that hispanics have a lot of money as most of the channels are spanish.

Here are the specs from the ASTC about this:
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_70-Part-1-2010.pdf
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_70-Part-2-2011.pdf
http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/st...shed-standards
http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php

I also must inform you guys that any HD channel is considered premium content and can be encrypted also. They only have to provide the standard definition digital channel free over the air.
I wonder how many broadcasters will now follow Ion and do this.

post #1095 of 1484 Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please note specs at end:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...vixM6620NP.asp

http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm

This may be two devices that could decode a MPEG-4 data stream. I get ION in vsb, SD and HD without problems, including qubo in SD. WQPX.

They won't work with what Ion is doing because that content is all encrypted and you will need a box from the broadcaster to decypt the channels like you need with cable or satellite.

post #1096 of 1484 Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

They won't work with what Ion is doing because that content is all encrypted and you will need a box from the broadcaster to decypt the channels like you need with cable or satellite.

So where does it all end?

Can I pay for this new "service" by burning my check and placing the ashes in the payment envelope, and then explaining to them that the check is encrypted?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1097 of 1484 Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand. I found HRTV at the end of my lineup. They still haven't removed the vsb channels for basic cable. Please don't ask for them (SECV) to do that. I can map them with my Sony TV and V10.
post #1098 of 1484 Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

So where does it all end?

Can I pay for this new "service" by burning my check and placing the ashes in the payment envelope, and then explaining to them that the check is encrypted?

Made my day. That's way too funny.
post #1099 of 1484 Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news: my second analog TVGOS feed on KYW is back.

Bad news: My normal feed on C-SPAN may have a problem when they switch channels with QVC next week.

Jed1: just saw my mother's mail. Feb. 28 they are changing the lineups for us.
post #1100 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good news: my second analog TVGOS feed on KYW is back.

Bad news: My normal feed on C-SPAN may have a problem when they switch channels with QVC next week.

Jed1: just saw my mother's mail. Feb. 28 they are changing the lineups for us.

It looks like they are unifying the channel lineups for all the systems. Also the daughter bought her uncles system in danville and it looks like they will merge that system with yours.
http://www.catvservice.com/
It looks like C Span will be on channel 98 according to my future lineup.

February 29th is the day of transition for the mahanoy system. I will know by the evening of that day if TVGOS still survives for me.
They don't know what package I will switch to because I own my two cablecards and I have every channel currently available. It looks like I might end up in the triple play plus pack with hddvr, so I might end up having a hddvr on top of everything I have now. The hddvr they are giving out is the Pace RNG200 with a 500Gb drive. It also looks like you can hook up an auxilluary drive to it.

post #1101 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Thread Ender

And in other TVGOS news.. I noticed last night that my V9 Mits TV had no ads. The Listings were fine. Although that seemed to happen quite often with the V8 Sonys, I don't recall ever seeing the V9 without ads before.

Film at 11... 10 in my timezonepkt

They consider THIS
post #1102 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like they are unifying the channel lineups for all the systems. Also the daughter bought her uncles system in danville and it looks like they will merge that system with yours.
http://www.catvservice.com/
It looks like C Span will be on channel 98 according to my future lineup.

February 29th is the day of transition for the mahanoy system. I will know by the evening of that day if TVGOS still survives for me.
They don't know what package I will switch to because I own my two cablecards and I have every channel currently available. It looks like I might end up in the triple play plus pack with hddvr, so I might end up having a hddvr on top of everything I have now. The hddvr they are giving out is the Pace RNG200 with a 500Gb drive. It also looks like you can hook up an auxilluary drive to it.

Just got off the phone with SE. They will be here 2/13 to install a card in my TiVo. If my TVGOS world ends on 2/28 I will probably get one of their DVR boxes. I saw on the BBS channel that C-SPAN and HSN will swap for me on the 13th also. Great, I need more complexity. My mother will probably need help March 1, since she lives off the SOAP channel. It's not part of my lineup now, so I don't know if she will still get it (in analog or clear QAM) after the change.

TiVo is nice, but I still prefer the Sony. I guess things you understand are better. I'll learn the TiVo eventually. March doesn't look like a good month.
post #1103 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And in other TVGOS news.. I noticed last night that my V9 Mits TV had no ads. The Listings were fine. Although that seemed to happen quite often with the V8 Sonys, I don't recall ever seeing the V9 without ads before.

I always thought the two ads describing how to use the guide were built-in. They have been gone for over two months also.
post #1104 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Rovi just sent me an email:

OTA data has been restored in the Philadelphia area. We have confirmations of working Guides. If your listings have not returned on their own, you may need to reset the Guide or unit.

Should you require further assistance, please reply to this email and let us know.

Best Regards,

CE Tech Support
Rovi

As I mentioned earlier, I get TVGOS on my KYW analog feed again, along with my normal analog C-SPAN. Perhaps the two are related? I hope not, since that puts me in a semi-OTA dependence for TVGOS with my cable feed now just passing the data along instead of injecting the data from a Rivo black box. I noticed my time is spot-on today.

Did I mention how much my cable company feels I will miss the (^&((*&^(*) iGuide when using a TiVo?
post #1105 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone with SE. They will be here 2/13 to install a card in my TiVo. If my TVGOS world ends on 2/28 I will probably get one of their DVR boxes. I saw on the BBS channel that C-SPAN and HSN will swap for me on the 13th also. Great, I need more complexity. My mother will probably need help March 1, since she lives off the SOAP channel. It's not part of my lineup now, so I don't know if she will still get it (in analog or clear QAM) after the change.

TiVo is nice, but I still prefer the Sony. I guess things you understand are better. I'll learn the TiVo eventually. March doesn't look like a good month.

Joe,
You currently have SOAP on channel 132,
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/channel_sun.pdf
on the mahanoy system SOAP will move to channel 132 on the 29th of february so your mom will need a STB to get it.

Here is a link to set up a cablecard with your tivo but I don't know if you will need it.
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

The sony will be ok as long as there is a TVGOS data stream available, but who knows how much longer the TVGOS data will be around.
The rest of the non cablecard devices you have will become useless in the near future when they encypt the entire line up. I wouldn't waste any more time or money on them.

post #1106 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My two V9s has been with out ads for about six weeks now. I did send Rovi and email about two weeks ago but I didn't hear back from them yet.

post #1107 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rovi just sent me an email:

OTA data has been restored in the Philadelphia area. We have confirmations of working Guides. If your listings have not returned on their own, you may need to reset the Guide or unit.

Should you require further assistance, please reply to this email and let us know.

Best Regards,

CE Tech Support
Rovi

As I mentioned earlier, I get TVGOS on my KYW analog feed again, along with my normal analog C-SPAN. Perhaps the two are related? I hope not, since that puts me in a semi-OTA dependence for TVGOS with my cable feed now just passing the data along instead of injecting the data from a Rivo black box. I noticed my time is spot-on today.

Did I mention how much my cable company feels I will miss the (^&((*&^(*) iGuide when using a TiVo?

Joe,
The two data streams are not related. The feed that comes from your headend is for the wilkes barre DMA and the KYW feed is for the philadelphia DMA.

In your case the KYW TVGOS data is from the SCTE 127 legacy data stream that they are getting from KYW HD. If the KYW HD feed that they are down converting to analog is coming from my system then that will stop on the 29th as they are removing the philly HD locals from my channel line up.
Also if they eliminate the rest of the analog channels then that TVGOS feed will disappear forever.

If you want to use that data stream then change the zip code in one of your sonys to a zip code that belongs to the philly DMA. Try 18101 which is the one I use if I lose TVGOS data from the headend. The channel list in the philly DMA has at least 756 channels in it. I do recommend that you reset the guide if you decide to do this.

post #1108 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:

My two V9s has been with out ads for about six weeks now. I did send Rovi and email about two weeks ago but I didn't hear back from them yet.

Mine could have been missing ads for up to a month or so, but I can't say for sure. Since getting the TiVo's, I really haven't looked at the built-in Guide on the bedroom TV until last night. I really looked at it just to see if it was still working . . .

They consider THIS
post #1109 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine could have been missing ads for up to a month or so, but I can't say for sure. Since getting the TiVo's, I really haven't looked at the built-in Guide on the bedroom TV until last night. I really looked at it just to see if it was still working . . .

Yea I figure that my TVGOS day of reckoning is in 28 days. It must be nice not to have to check the diagnostic screens on a daily basis and just use the device. I am actually starting to look forward to living a non TVGOS life. I have been in constant contact with Rovi since february of 2009.

If your Tivo line up is out of date here is the link to get it corrected.
http://www.zap2it.com/services/site/...9403.htmlstory

I had them fix the line up for my media center and it only took three days. Not the 3 to 4 months it takes Rovi.

post #1110 of 1484 Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe,
You currently have SOAP on channel 132,
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/channel_sun.pdf
on the mahanoy system SOAP will move to channel 132 on the 29th of february so your mom will need a STB to get it.

Here is a link to set up a cablecard with your tivo but I don't know if you will need it.
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

The sony will be ok as long as there is a TVGOS data stream available, but who knows how much longer the TVGOS data will be around.
The rest of the non cablecard devices you have will become useless in the near future when they encypt the entire line up. I wouldn't waste any more time or money on them.

Channel 132 has always been dead air for me. She gets it on 89 I think. They haven't sent her a DTA yet, but I still have mine in the box. Thanks for the help.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page