Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Observations for zipcode 18101 (Allentown, PA):

They have ads. All CBS.
Host ID 4
CRLineup A2C
Providers are all RCN - four lineups for selection.
Nothing special about the VSB selection. I don't get their data.
Most significant: channel numbers on the lineup go up to 3000. This might be a problem with the Sony DHG if you want to enter a manual channel number.

Machine is wiped and I'm going to see how it likes 17921 (Ashland, PA). Back to watching paint dry.

Joe,
Are you using your V10 yet? If not see if you get ads with it using the internet feed. I am curious to see if the internet feed uses the same server as the inserter does.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1484 Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Interesting. Do we know if this coincided with the increased difficulty in setting a HostChan in many cities, the thing that spurred the development of the MDI procedure?

The new data shouldn't have effected host channel sets because the burst data still occurs every 30 minutes like it always has. What spurred my interest in pursuing the MDI was when, thanks to Jed1, we found the burst data. Then I got TSReader, and once I wrote my data parser, I had to face the fact that there was not one piece of TVGOS data missing from the data stream. Any missing data was the fault of the Sony. I also saw that my LineupSelPkts were in two separate blocks, and I was receiving only one of the two blocks 90% of the time. I then started wondering what would happen if I could "interrupt" that first block of data. Would it then force it to receive the second block? To my surprise, it did. I have to say though that the last 4 or 5 host channel sets on my DVR have all happened in less than 10 hours, so host channel sets are happening better now than ever, that could change tomorrow though, who knows?

Mark
post #1143 of 1484 Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Joe,
Are you using your V10 yet? If not see if you get ads with it using the internet feed. I am curious to see if the internet feed uses the same server as the inserter does.

You're asking a lot. Usually when I invoke the guide the TV reboots. Also, the ads are an option you must select. ......

Ok, no ads and it didn't crash. I only have 6 channels mapped, and leave it enabled to get the time & content update at midnight. My test unit is doing a rebuild. I did the cable scan with the rf disconnected until it was done with analog. So far so good. I may end up living in Fountain Springs a lot soon. I will probably take a DHG there. That's why I'm testing 17921. With a dual tuner TiVo (if it works) I will have one to spare.
post #1144 of 1484 Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Joe-

When you have a DHG set up with no RF input (and no TVGOS and no clock), can you try to confirm whether my "SonyTime" worksheet works?

Based on what Mark said, I think if you use the (erroneous) DHG date/time from where you go to schedule a manual recording, and enter that into my worksheet, you should be able (I think) to then use the date/time that the worksheet provides to you to schedule a recording. Note that you will need to act quickly to enter the schedule because time slips by if you hesitate. If you schedule the recording to occur just a few minutes into the future you shouldn't have to wait long to know if it works properly or not. I "think" you can just set the sony to record some dead-air on a analog channel since you won't have an antenna connected . . .

How does it feel to be a guinea pig?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=24625

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1145 of 1484 Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe-

When you have a DHG set up with no RF input (and no TVGOS and no clock), can you try to confirm whether my "SonyTime" worksheet works?

Based on what Mark said, I think if you use the (erroneous) DHG date/time from where you go to schedule a manual recording, and enter that into my worksheet, you should be able (I think) to then use the date/time that the worksheet provides to you to schedule a recording. Note that you will need to act quickly to enter the schedule because time slips by if you hesitate. If you schedule the recording to occur just a few minutes into the future you shouldn't have to wait long to know if it works properly or not. I "think" you can just set the sony to record some dead-air on a analog channel since you won't have an antenna connected . . .

How does it feel to be a guinea pig?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=24625

Tested and it works fine. Well, it computes a time that looks right. I haven't really tried to make a recording. I can do that tomorrow. Your timing (!) is good. I did a full factory restore several hours ago and during the channel scan I pulled the rf cable until after 50%, so no vsb. It worked, since when I powered it up the next time my lowest channel was my lowest digital channel and no TVGOS data. I did the .21 update a few minutes later. So far so good.
I'm going to let it cook overnight. The internal clock started at 1/1/04 and is running. No front panel. This is a good thing.

After the host channel moved, one DHG is good on host and clock set, one is good on clock set, and one hasn't moved.
post #1146 of 1484 Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Tested and it works fine. Well, it computes a time that looks right.....

You may also want to re-download the file. I made a few "user-friendly" improvements in the last 30 minutes or so that let you see that the recording will be scheduled for the "expected" day of the week.

They consider THIS
post #1147 of 1484 Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

On the web, Sunbury lineup looks just like the Mahanoy City lineup. Both are dated 2/7/12.

Jed1, we live in interesting times.
post #1148 of 1484 Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the web, Sunbury lineup looks just like the Mahanoy City lineup. Both are dated 2/7/12.

Jed1, we live in interesting times.

20 more days Joe.........20 more days.

post #1149 of 1484 Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

[...]
I would find it idiotic of Rovi to develop a new guide and try using inserters at all to get data to them. If it was left up to me to develop a new guide to replace TVGOS, getting rid of the inserters would be number one on the list.

I tend to agree with that except for one thing. The inserters are already in place, so why not utilize them. They also have one advantage that the ethernet delivery wouldn't, and that is that people in areas that have no internet access, or cable for that matter, could still get guide data on a device.

Quote:

[...]
My definition of interactive would be you can access the guide from a remote source, like a PC or cell phone, to set reminders or set recordings just like you can do with Tivos and some cable companys STBs.

That is the problem with the word "interactive", the definition is left up to the imagination. My definition of interactive is simply being able to control a device with a remote. It is nothing to me but a "hype" buzzword.

Quote:

The Total Guide is supposed to even search streaming sites like Netflix when you search for movies, etc. This would be hard to do with the inserters.

I'd say, impossible to do with inserters. However they could make devices so that, if no ethernet connection is available, they would go into a "TotalGuide Lite" mode. You'd still have the look and feel of TotalGuide, but with reduced functionality.

Mark
post #1150 of 1484 Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like I'll be semi-moving to fountain springs next week. I will take one DHG over there and I already have started to let the guide build with 17921. I may end up living there by the early summer since my sister is looking to sell my place and I can't find an apartment in the Ashland - Frackville area. I may need to rent a storage locker for all my stuff. Or maybe I'll try the flea market route, then offload things to eBay. Anyhow, when I set my zipcode for 17921, my host is channel 10. That inserter is pretty slow (50 packets/minute), but mine (channel 98) still runs at over 200 packets/minute.

Monday I get the cable card. Who knows what that will do? A cable card for CATV is $6 a month.
post #1151 of 1484 Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It looks like I'll be semi-moving to fountain springs next week. I will take one DHG over there and I already have started to let the guide build with 17921. I may end up living there by the early summer since my sister is looking to sell my place and I can't find an apartment in the Ashland - Frackville area. I may need to rent a storage locker for all my stuff. Or maybe I'll try the flea market route, then offload things to eBay. Anyhow, when I set my zipcode for 17921, my host is channel 10. That inserter is pretty slow (50 packets/minute), but mine (channel 98) still runs at over 200 packets/minute.

Monday I get the cable card. Who knows what that will do? A cable card for CATV is $6 a month.

Well Joe its now less than two weeks from doomsday. From the responses I got from management of both divisions I am 95% certain I will not have TVGOS after the transition. I was told by a headend tech to rescan for channels after the 29th but I don't know how I will do this as I have cablecards and the channel map is downloaded automatically.

I was going to get two Tivos but they won't sell me the additional cablecard so I am now looking at direct tv as they have a lot better hardware for the price. I might give up on tv and maybe put up a antenna and just have OTA channels. I will decide after the transition to see what I will do.

post #1152 of 1484 Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well Joe its now less than two weeks from doomsday. From the responses I got from management of both divisions I am 95% certain I will not have TVGOS after the transition. I was told by a headend tech to rescan for channels after the 29th but I don't know how I will do this as I have cablecards and the channel map is downloaded automatically.

I was going to get two Tivos but they won't sell me the additional cablecard so I am now looking at direct tv as they have a lot better hardware for the price. I might give up on tv and maybe put up a antenna and just have OTA channels. I will decide after the transition to see what I will do.

Things are chaos at SE. When I was getting my cable card on Monday I joked that they should call out sick on 3/1. They didn't laugh. My test unit, set for 17921 (Ashland), has the host/clock set channel to 98 twice. The packets on channel 10 are still weak. Still no ads. The ads only show if I select 18101 (RCN).

The TiVo guide needed me to rerun the setup program before it decided to show everything properly. It didn't know my specific provider by name, so I had to play "name the channel" so it could figure out my lineup. I still prefer TVGOS. And I am making tapes every six hours. It was pointed out that analog cable doesn't have to die on 2/17 since is was written to be three years after OTA shutdown. Since that was delayed, we have until 6/17. As if it will really happen.

I'll move a DHG to Fountain Springs after 3/1 since there is nobody there anyhow. I may be there a lot. Lucky that my sister has 3Mbs DSL and WiFi, so I can use my laptop. Take care.
post #1153 of 1484 Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:

..... The TiVo guide needed me to rerun the setup program before it decided to show everything properly. It didn't know my specific provider by name, so I had to play "name the channel" so it could figure out my lineup.....

When I set up my TiVo's here, they identified my two Cable Lineup choices properly by name. But even after I selected the proper Lineup it still had me play the "name that Channel" game to confirm. Maybe the TiVo setup always does this, just to be sure?

They consider THIS
post #1154 of 1484 Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I set up my TiVo's here, they identified my two Cable Lineup choices properly by name. But even after I selected the proper Lineup it still had me play the "name that Channel" game to confirm. Maybe the TiVo setup always does this, just to be sure?

That's great. Problem was the channels they asked me to identify I never watch except for CBS. I kept saying "next choice" until it gave up. I may try the cable card in my DHG this weekend. I watched them activate the card so I figure I can read the numbers and letters as good as the guy who charged me $35 to do it. He told me that the card was mated to the Tivo. I guess I will find out.
post #1155 of 1484 Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
After about three months of no VBI data on Seattle Comcast analog channel 7 my RDR-HX900s announced its return by displaying updated time. Cable card channel 90, which mapped to analog channel 7, has coincidentally disappeared, so my DHGs won't be switching their host channel back to analog.
post #1156 of 1484 Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Things are chaos at SE. When I was getting my cable card on Monday I joked that they should call out sick on 3/1. They didn't laugh. My test unit, set for 17921 (Ashland), has the host/clock set channel to 98 twice. The packets on channel 10 are still weak. Still no ads. The ads only show if I select 18101 (RCN).

The TiVo guide needed me to rerun the setup program before it decided to show everything properly. It didn't know my specific provider by name, so I had to play "name the channel" so it could figure out my lineup. I still prefer TVGOS. And I am making tapes every six hours. It was pointed out that analog cable doesn't have to die on 2/17 since is was written to be three years after OTA shutdown. Since that was delayed, we have until 6/17. As if it will really happen.

I'll move a DHG to Fountain Springs after 3/1 since there is nobody there anyhow. I may be there a lot. Lucky that my sister has 3Mbs DSL and WiFi, so I can use my laptop. Take care.

You will be moving to this SE division just in time to get them pesky four digit sub channels. There are following you around like zombies in the night of the living dead.

post #1157 of 1484 Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will be moving to this SE division just in time to get them pesky four digit sub channels. There are following you around like zombies in the night of the living dead.

It's not a SE thing. My Mom & sister have my old Sony TVs and they have always had the four decimal point channel numbers. My mother has two additional digital sets that also show four decimal numbers. Both of those are cheap emergency replacements for dead analog sets, so they are a little harder to use. Since I bought and installed them, they never tuned/displayed the analog channels (except SOAP). I was able to teach my mother (at 84) that she wants CBS, not 10. It was easy after that.

My sister and mother are in Florida now. I'm recording Revenge and Desp. HW for her. She has dish and had no idea how to program it. So I set my old Mag 2160A to record her shows. When she comes back I can take it over there and let her watch them.

Also, the Mag only uses one or two decimal points. The first block of digital starts at 26.x which on my Sony TV is a scrambled 26.0000 strange channel. The Sony ignores it, but the Mag moves the whole 26.x block up one higher. One is dual tuner, one is switched hybrid. It's a fun world.

As long as SE continues to broadcast those analog channels, nobody will care about 3/1. But if they get moved to digital, like me, it won't be pretty.

I'm going to move a DHG to my mom's place maybe on Sunday to let it see how it feels about her cable feed.
post #1158 of 1484 Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not a SE thing. My Mom & sister have my old Sony TVs and they have always had the four decimal point channel numbers. My mother has two additional digital sets that also show four decimal numbers. Both of those are cheap emergency replacements for dead analog sets, so they are a little harder to use. Since I bought and installed them, they never tuned/displayed the analog channels (except SOAP). I was able to teach my mother (at 84) that she wants CBS, not 10. It was easy after that.

My sister and mother are in Florida now. I'm recording Revenge and Desp. HW for her. She has dish and had no idea how to program it. So I set my old Mag 2160A to record her shows. When she comes back I can take it over there and let her watch them.

Also, the Mag only uses one or two decimal points. The first block of digital starts at 26.x which on my Sony TV is a scrambled 26.0000 strange channel. The Sony ignores it, but the Mag moves the whole 26.x block up one higher. One is dual tuner, one is switched hybrid. It's a fun world.

As long as SE continues to broadcast those analog channels, nobody will care about 3/1. But if they get moved to digital, like me, it won't be pretty.

I'm going to move a DHG to my mom's place maybe on Sunday to let it see how it feels about her cable feed.

I never seen 4 digit sub channels in the mahanoy city system. I will let you know if they show up on the 1st.

The notices for the analog shutdown will probably go out shortly after the transition. I expect that this will be done by the summer. I think they have to give a minimum of a 30 day notice to the customers.
I think us mahanoy customers are going to be on a confusing ride in the next 6 months.
Channel 4 will be your host channel with the .13 firmware. If you have .21 installed then channel 116-1 is TVG1 but there is no host schedule packets. Rovi refuses to fix it. Of course these channels will disappear on the 29th. I am assuming channel 19 will be the analog host. There will be no digital though.

post #1159 of 1484 Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never seen 4 digit sub channels in the mahanoy city system. I will let you know if they show up on the 1st.

The notices for the analog shutdown will probably go out shortly after the transition. I expect that this will be done by the summer. I think they have to give a minimum of a 30 day notice to the customers.
I think us mahanoy customers are going to be on a confusing ride in the next 6 months.
Channel 4 will be your host channel with the .13 firmware. If you have .21 installed then channel 116-1 is TVG1 but there is no host schedule packets. Rovi refuses to fix it. Of course these channels will disappear on the 29th. I am assuming channel 19 will be the analog host. There will be no digital though.

I don't know if the DHG can be the vanguard in the cable world. It loves analog and will go digital if needed. I have .21 installed in my test unit since it will take all TVGOS patches without reboot or using the G* test. I'm lazy. Since my family is not expected back until May, I will have to monitor the SE web sites for updates. But my brother just went into the ICU, so they may come back sooner.

The Sony firmware doesn't prefer a digital host with .21 firmware. The .21 firmware only lets the DHG load digital TVGOS from a digital host. What .21 does do is block manual recording of my 4 decimal number channels even though the message says it blocks non-guide channel recordings. It doesn't matter, and if my Mom's channels drop to just two decimal points, we can test that theory. But the raw QAM digital cable channels will still not be on the TVGOS lineup in any known universe. On line, TitanTV does let me map them though. So does my TV, but it crashes after a dozen or so.
post #1160 of 1484 Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Jed1:

I took my testing Sony to Fountain Springs today. I wanted to see how TVGOS will act next month. It found 74 analog and 117 digital channels. But no packets on 10 or 98. So I left it to cook and will check back tomorrow. I did not do a full factory restore. The time was not set after two hours. The unit was working fine yesterday. And so our adventure continues. Nine more days.

2/21 checked: host is channel 4, PBS, and same with clock set. No "question" or lineup yet.

Now getting robo calls from SE thanking me for being a customer.
post #1161 of 1484 Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jed1:

I took my testing Sony to Fountain Springs today. I wanted to see how TVGOS will act next month. It found 74 analog and 117 digital channels. But no packets on 10 or 98. So I left it to cook and will check back tomorrow. I did not do a full factory restore. The time was not set after two hours. The unit was working fine yesterday. And so our adventure continues. Nine more days.

2/21 checked: host is channel 4, PBS, and same with clock set. No "question" or lineup yet.

Now getting robo calls from SE thanking me for being a customer.

The line up should be correct as I have been asking Rovi to update it as SECO made changes. I don't know how accurate the cable ready line up is as I never submitted any channel changes for that just cablecard.

As you know all this goes out the window next wednesday when the transition takes place. I think the host will be channel 19 but I don't know if that channel is mapped into the cablecard lineup.
It will take at least 2 to 3 months to get Rovi to update the line up so everything is going to screwed up for a while. Thats if I decide to tell them about it as I might give up on TVGOS all together. I am getting sick of all the nonsense associated with this guide.

Thats all I need is to get Robocalls from SECV. I don't understand the need for them to do this, besides I am on the Do not call list as if that really matters.

post #1162 of 1484 Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The line up should be correct as I have been asking Rovi to update it as SECO made changes. I don't know how accurate the cable ready line up is as I never submitted any channel changes for that just cablecard.

As you know all this goes out the window next wednesday when the transition takes place. I think the host will be channel 19 but I don't know if that channel is mapped into the cablecard lineup.
It will take at least 2 to 3 months to get Rovi to update the line up so everything is going to screwed up for a while. Thats if I decide to tell them about it as I might give up on TVGOS all together. I am getting sick of all the nonsense associated with this guide.

Thats all I need is to get Robocalls from SECV. I don't understand the need for them to do this, besides I am on the Do not call list as if that really matters.

Channel 19 is my SE BBS channel and it is handled by the TiVo with the cable card. I also noticed that my choices for a lineup are now only Shamokin (8683) and Mahanoy City (8684). I used to have Bloomsburg. This is in Mt. Carmel.

Maybe I should tell TiVo that my 98 and 15 have switched. Maybe I'll wait a week. Take care.
post #1163 of 1484 Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 10
Some body want to change the thread title to the industry standard "EPG"?

tvgos means nothing outside of this forum.
post #1164 of 1484 Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorBS View Post

Huh?

They consider THIS
post #1165 of 1484 Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are free to start a thread for general EPG discussion. That was done in 2007. If you have TVGOS and want to stay somewhat hardware-free, this is the place. Post #1 is not maintained so much.

What's the ANSI standard for EPG? PSIP? That would be good. We need a standard that the industry ignores.

What version of TVGOS are you using?
post #1166 of 1484 Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

No legacy data for either of my V8 feeds. V10 internet has ads & listings. Not all ads are CBS either.
post #1167 of 1484 Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

No. There is no such thing as an industry standard epg. Pay providers all have their own versions. Most OTA devices that have ATSC tuners do not use TVGOS.

Quote:

And your point is?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1168 of 1484 Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Quote:

So have you Guys fallen off the Grid yet???

They consider THIS
post #1169 of 1484 Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm ok, but I need to check the other headend. Let me explain:

One company, Service Electric, had three offices. Now they have two. The merge of lineups and billing are a consequence. My headend is a survivor so far. I may have to rescan four TV lineups and one Sony tomorrow from my mother's and Jed1's headend. Today is too crappy to go out, and my mother is in Florida for a while, so I will check tomorrow.

After a factory restore I used to have four lineup choices, now I have two. Funny, but Allentown 18101, still gets ads, all CBS, and there feeds are all from RCN. That office also serves SECV in middle NJ. It may be a bumpy ride for a while. Today I have no host channel but 8 days of listings. My last check of V10 had regular ads. My "KYW" data packets are back, but at 50% of my "C-SPAN" channel.

I'm waiting until next week to let TiVo know that two of my channels have swapped content. I hope things have settled down by then.

update:
Just came back from checking on my mother's feed. I could find no station with packets using the Sony's 9012 test. The host was still at ch 98 vsb, but no data on 10, 15, or 98. Listings were 100%, so there may be a digital inserter used or a new host vsb channel. I'll let it cook to see if anything happens.
post #1170 of 1484 Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I finally got internet access after one day. The transition is an absolute disaster as none of the dvrs work. I finally got phone service at 8:30 tonight. I just lost access to all my encrypted channels again at 12:20am. This all started at 12:35am on the 29th.

Oh yea I have no TVGOS data at all just as I perdicted. I just sent an email to corporate SECV.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page