Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1484 Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I have that also, but the G* diag counts good, bad, and "fixed" (whatever that means).

Yup, the G* test was pretty well gutted in the name of "VBI purity" i.e. no VBI = no count, only analog has VBI so only analog gets counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Also, when the host channel finally dies, the packets stop being counted unless my Sony does a G* test and I park it on the host channel.

The OTA only folk don't have this issue, it is peculiar to cable. Most days I run the G* test (971397135) at least a half a dozen times or so.

In the case of KIRO 7.1 Seattle, the inserter is effectively off. This can be verified in less than two minutes. I have confidence it will get fixed, just no confidence it will get fixed quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1484 Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by subako View Post

Yup, the G* test was pretty well gutted in the name of "VBI purity" i.e. no VBI = no count, only analog has VBI so only analog gets counts.

The OTA only folk don't have this issue, it is peculiar to cable. Most days I run the G* test (971397135) at least a half a dozen times or so.

In the case of KIRO 7.1 Seattle, the inserter is effectively off. This can be verified in less than two minutes. I have confidence it will get fixed, just no confidence it will get fixed quickly.

That's logical, since digital is yes/no and only analog has maybe. Here's a prayer you don't lose power until you get good data again.
post #1203 of 1484 Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM

Thank goodness there are others out there.
I found another person on the DTV PAL forum from Seattle who is missing the guide also. I dug out my backup Sony HDD-250 to add to the mix. Why not a little more torture. My TV is currently gridless and my backup DVR won't clock set.
I'm not a technical person but these forums have been so helpful. Thank you all!
post #1204 of 1484 Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenda View Post

... my backup DVR won't clock set

It should shortly. I just checked and got a time set from KIRO 7.1 OTA. It appears someone has reset their inserter.
post #1205 of 1484 Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

It should shortly. I just checked and got a time set from KIRO 7.1 OTA. It appears someone has reset their inserter.

Having read the other forum on Seattle OTA it seems like maybe the weight of several people sending notes, myself included, to KIRO has worked! Thank goodness. I guess that is lesson we all need to observe. The squeeky wheel does occasionally get the oil!
post #1206 of 1484 Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM

TVGOS is back up in Seattle! This morning my Sony TV had no listings and my Sony DVR had no listings. I filled out 5 pages of diagnostics for Rovi customer support and emailed them around 9 a.m. Tonight I have listings on every device. I don't know if Rovi contacted KIRO or not since they have not responded to the report I sent in. Just glad it's all working again. For now on this is the forum I will check on when I lose my listings.
post #1207 of 1484 Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Interesting Read:

http://ir.rovicorp.com/Cache/1001163...FID=1001163109

Total Guide may be available (in different forms?) via both OTA (satellite) and Internet (for sure).

Rovi ads are DVR proof? Could be like the current Sony DHG or it may mean you can no longer skip ads in your recorded shows?

As I suspected many (most) of the major implementations appear to be overseas; no mention of Sony in that regard.

Rovi appears to now be very law suit happy (the real key to revenue), they intend to defend their rights etc. This should be fun: Who invented the “Push Button” first – Rovi or Tivo? I think they both should sue DeSoto for the darn 1959 “Push Button” automatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...Coupe_1959.jpg
post #1208 of 1484 Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM

I thought since I have seen quite a few derogatory comments about Rovi it might be nice to share some more positive results. Last week we in the Seattle area lost TVGOS for about ten days. During that time I as well as several others wrote both the carrier station and Rovi. I wrote on Tuesday to Rovi and they immediately responded the next day with an aknowledgement as well as a case number regarding my issue. As luck would have it my service was restored the same day they responded so I sent them a note telling them everything had been restored. They then wrote back asking for further information because they had someone else with a problem in my area and wanted to know more about my situation and if we were experiencing the same cause. I sent along information including a link to this forum as well as one other forum. I then received a response including a thank you from Rovi support. I can tell you that I still have not heard anything from the local station that carries TVGOS. I am impressed that Rovi took the time to both respond and make some attempt to correct the issue.
post #1209 of 1484 Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM

Seattle OTA TVGOS

Got a follow up response from Rovi also. Thankfully KIRO got their act together a few days ago.

" Hello Therese,

I was just about to send you an email to check on your status. The issue was indeed related to the KIRO inserter. I am glad to hear your listings have returned. Please let us know if this problem occurs again.

Thank you,

Scott
CE Technical Support
Rovi
"
post #1210 of 1484 Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Time set from Seattle Comcast TVGOS inserter is currently a few minutes slow. Time set from KIRO 7.1 OTA TVGOS inserter is fine. If you have recordings set for today or tonight, you might want to check your clocks to be careful.
post #1211 of 1484 Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to update my TVGOS V8 situation. To recap:
2/29 my host channel and its content moved,
4/4 my data stopped,
4/11 data started but was 50% bad - clock was ok,
4/15 Sent email to Rovi indicating my legacy data was bad like another headend next to me,
5/1 found that some hardware was changed and was not going to work with my inserter and I was screwed until new harware was installed,
5/20 my cable company tried to fix things, but nothing seemed to work and I lost all data,
5/25 - I now have 100% good data. Things are rebuilding. After many emails and with the help of Jed1 things are good.

Just in time for the summer repeats. It's been an experience I would not wish on anyone.
post #1212 of 1484 Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If it wasn't for our privately owned cable company, Service Electric, Joe Kustra and I would be with out TVGOS.
They replaced a piece of equipment in three of their headends on thursday to make TVGOS work.
Joe and I should be ok with analog TVGOS until SECV decides to end analog broadcasting on their cable systems.

Those of you that have broadcast stations that are willing to work with Rovi should consider yourselves very fortunate as it is very doubtful that any of the Wilkes Barre stations are going to cooperate with Rovi.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1213 of 1484 Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Seattle, Comcast (Business Class) on my Sony Bravia KDL46WL140 TV. It's been about a week now! The time is off by 5 minutes and I get "No Listings" on all channels.
I've tried changing zip codes. I live in 98125 but have been using 98104 successfully for years. I tried 98125, 98199... no luck.

Is it Comcast or CBS/KIRO at fault? Do I need to hook up an antenna just to get my clock set?

Any ideas please.......
post #1214 of 1484 Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarm View Post

Seattle, Comcast (Business Class) on my Sony Bravia KDL46WL140 TV. It's been about a week now! The time is off by 5 minutes and I get "No Listings" on all channels.
I've tried changing zip codes. I live in 98125 but have been using 98104 successfully for years. I tried 98125, 98199... no luck.

Is it Comcast or CBS/KIRO at fault? Do I need to hook up an antenna just to get my clock set?

Any ideas please.......

It's probably Comcast, but you haven't blamed your TV. I get V10 TVGOS on my 32EX700 Sony via the internet. It died about two weeks ago but the clock is still ok. I could reset the TV and I'm sure it will come back. It's just not worth the effort since I never use the guide. I even use a remote from the XBR9 that doesn't have a guide button.

Having a "no listings" implies you have a grid. That might go away if you reset the TV or the TVGOS.
post #1215 of 1484 Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If you haven't already you might also try pulling the plug on your TV for 5 seconds. When the TVGOS has went out on my W4100 pulling the plug has brought the guide back the next day.
post #1216 of 1484 Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If you haven't already you might also try pulling the plug on your TV for 5 seconds. When the TVGOS has went out on my W4100 pulling the plug has brought the guide back the next day.

I checked my TV this morning... TVGOS guide data is back. But the clock is 6 minutes slow!
post #1217 of 1484 Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked my TV this morning... TVGOS guide data is back. But the clock is 6 minutes slow!

Send an email to Rovi. Here are some locations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21994118

Good luck.
post #1218 of 1484 Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Seattle Comcast's inserter is still having issues. On the assumption that there might be some technical interaction between KIRO and Comcast, I sent this note to Annette Parks, Director of Engineering with KIRO TV, aparks@kirotv.com

I recently sent you a message regarding your TVGOS inserter. I don't
know whether my message assisted in drawing attention to the issue,
but the inserter was reset in short order and I am grateful.

There now appears to be an issue with Comcast's TVGOS inserter and
while I understand that this is not your responsibility, I was
wondering if your technical people might be in contact with the folks
at Comcast that maintain their TVGOS inserter. For reasons that I am
sure you understand, bringing this to the attention of Comcast service
doesn't make it past their first tier customer service staff. I just
tried. They offered to reset my cable cards.

If your two staffs never interact, then I am sorry for taking your
time. If however, it would be possible for someone from KIRO to give
"the right person" at Comcast a quick phone call, please pass on that
their inserter's clock is wandering anywhere between two and twenty
minutes slow, and has been for about a week.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.
post #1219 of 1484 Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seattle Comcast's inserter is still having issues. On the assumption that there might be some technical interaction between KIRO and Comcast, I sent this note to Annette Parks, Director of Engineering with KIRO TV, aparks@kirotv.com

I recently sent you a message regarding your TVGOS inserter. I don't
know whether my message assisted in drawing attention to the issue,
but the inserter was reset in short order and I am grateful.

There now appears to be an issue with Comcast's TVGOS inserter and
while I understand that this is not your responsibility, I was
wondering if your technical people might be in contact with the folks
at Comcast that maintain their TVGOS inserter. For reasons that I am
sure you understand, bringing this to the attention of Comcast service
doesn't make it past their first tier customer service staff. I just
tried. They offered to reset my cable cards.

If your two staffs never interact, then I am sorry for taking your
time. If however, it would be possible for someone from KIRO to give
"the right person" at Comcast a quick phone call, please pass on that
their inserter's clock is wandering anywhere between two and twenty
minutes slow, and has been for about a week.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Comcast in this case probably does not have a TVGOS inserter in their headend. The problem with the clock is happening with the data coming from Rovi to the TVGOS inserter at KIRO.
You have to contact Rovi or have the engineer at KIRO contact Rovi about the problem. Here is the email contact for TVGOS with Rovi.
CE_customer_support@rovicorp.com

You will have better luck contacting Rovi. If you keep bothering the broadcast station, management can terminate the contract with Rovi if they deem TVGOS to be troublesome.

post #1220 of 1484 Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Comcast in this case probably does not have a TVGOS inserter in their headend. The problem with the clock is happening with the data coming from Rovi to the TVGOS inserter at KIRO.
You have to contact Rovi or have the engineer at KIRO contact Rovi about the problem. Here is the email contact for TVGOS with Rovi.
CE_customer_support@rovicorp.com

You will have better luck contacting Rovi. If you keep bothering the broadcast station, management can terminate the contract with Rovi if they deem TVGOS to be troublesome.

In the past two weeks here in Seattle we have gone from data from both KIRO OTA and Comcast cable both being fine, then it was Comcast cable continuing to be fine while KIRO OTA's data disappeared. Then KIRO OTA's data was restored and shortly there after we went to KIRO OTA's data (and clock) continuing to be fine while Comcast cable's TVGOS listings continued to be fine but with a clock that was slow and inconsistent.

I'm having difficulty modeling this with only a single inserter and resulting in good time from KIRO OTA but not Comcast.

I tried to keep my two notes (to KIRO) polite and respectful. If I failed, I apologize.
post #1221 of 1484 Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the past two weeks here in Seattle we have gone from data from both KIRO OTA and Comcast cable both being fine, then it was Comcast cable continuing to be fine while KIRO OTA's data disappeared. Then KIRO OTA's data was restored and shortly there after we went to KIRO OTA's data (and clock) continuing to be fine while Comcast cable's TVGOS listings continued to be fine but with a clock that was slow and inconsistent.

I'm having difficulty modeling this with only a single inserter and resulting in good time from KIRO OTA but not Comcast.

I tried to keep my two notes (to KIRO) polite and respectful. If I failed, I apologize.

Your best bet is to go directly to Rovi as they will know where the problem is. If comcast upgraded your headend and is prepared to go all digital then it is unlikely but not impossible that they have an inserter. It is possible that comcast has a fiber feed coming from the broadcast stations and if the TVGOS data stoppage was with the OTA transmision then it would keep working on cable.
It is also possible that some of comcasts equipment is corrupting the TVGOS data.

The engineers at the broadcast facilities and comcast do not have access to TVGOS data. In most cases they can not even tell if the data is working at all as they do not have any devices that use TVGOS.

If you want to make progress then you should contact Rovi and they ask for you to fill out a diagnostics form so they can trace the problem.

post #1222 of 1484 Old 06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Started to work again... Then I checked this morning, got "no listings" and the time is off by several minutes.

Using 98104 zip on Comcast basic TV.

Sunday, June 10th, all is well... even the time is correct!

post #1223 of 1484 Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Any problems with TVGOS from WCBS?
post #1224 of 1484 Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM

In the NYC metro region, I had problems on both an analog device (LG LST-3410a) fed by a converter, and also a digitally fed DTVPal DVR. Fortunately, it just cleared up on 6-21 after approx. a week of the issue.

For the Analog: Data was being received from CBS, (as seen in diagnostics), but no listings were populating & the time was off by 5 minutes.

For the Digital: Listings were not updating, gradually dropping altogether from several days out, & time was off by 5 minutes. (TVG Logo continued to display throughout.)

Seemed like the fault was the Rovi feed data, not the CBS injector. All is now fine again.
post #1225 of 1484 Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarm View Post

Started to work again... Then I checked this morning, got "no listings" and the time is off by several minutes.

Using 98104 zip on Comcast basic TV.

Sunday, June 10th, all is well... even the time is correct!

Still working?
post #1226 of 1484 Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rChaz View Post

In the NYC metro region, I had problems on both an analog device (LG LST-3410a) fed by a converter, and also a digitally fed DTVPal DVR. Fortunately, it just cleared up on 6-21 after approx. a week of the issue.
For the Analog: Data was being received from CBS, (as seen in diagnostics), but no listings were populating & the time was off by 5 minutes.
For the Digital: Listings were not updating, gradually dropping altogether from several days out, & time was off by 5 minutes. (TVG Logo continued to display throughout.)
Seemed like the fault was the Rovi feed data, not the CBS injector. All is now fine again.

Maybe I missed it from reading all the recent posts, but I would be curious if anyone is receiving TVGOS from WCBS HD OTA (over the air) with an antenna or from any cable provider, (Cablevision, Time Warner, Service Electric, RCN, Verizon) in the tri-state area, i.e., NY CBS.
Just trying to eliminate all the variables in establishing why I can't get my Sony DHG units restarted since Memorial Day...sounds like from this last post it's working both via cable and OTA, THX!
post #1227 of 1484 Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Rovi is having a really bad day. Their stock is down to 10.26 from a year high of 58.76. Maybe sombody will buy the company and revive TVGOS.
post #1228 of 1484 Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Did TVGOS just stop?

My cable company has been pretty good supporting TVGOS. They even established an analog channel to provide the data, back when the country was switching from analog to digital TV.

Well, I just stopped getting updates.

I have three devices that use TVGOS. The two that use the analog channel stopped getting updates. Plus, my one device that got the data from an OTA digital station, also stopped getting data.

That leans to my question if TVGOS just died?
post #1229 of 1484 Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestLeeD View Post

Maybe I missed it from reading all the recent posts, but I would be curious if anyone is receiving TVGOS from WCBS HD OTA (over the air) with an antenna or from any cable provider, (Cablevision, Time Warner, Service Electric, RCN, Verizon) in the tri-state area, i.e., NY CBS.

My DHG and my Toshiba TV stopped receiving their updates, which come thru cable analog channel 50 on Service Electric.

At the same time, my Sony XBR TV stopped receiving its updates, which come thru some digital channel (not sure... possibly CBS?).

Given that multiple sources don't seem to be working, leads to my question of TVGOS is now globally dead?
post #1230 of 1484 Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

My DHG and my Toshiba TV stopped receiving their updates, which come thru cable analog channel 50 on Service Electric.
At the same time, my Sony XBR TV stopped receiving its updates, which come thru some digital channel (not sure... possibly CBS?).
Given that multiple sources don't seem to be working, leads to my question of TVGOS is now globally dead?
Legacy V8 from my headend in Sunbury is working fine. Suggest you call/email your feed. That's probably the eastern PA feed. Perhaps you are getting a new inserter and you will be back soon.

My Sony TV (EX700) gets the data from the internet. No change there either. You might put a real location in your profile.

DON'T RESET ANYTHING! Even without packets you can use manual recording.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page