TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1484 Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OTA Houston appears to be next. No TVGOS listings after 4 am Tuesday Feb 5th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1484 Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonUserSue View Post

OTA Houston appears to be next. No TVGOS listings after 4 am Tuesday Feb 5th.
You might want to email the station to get their response. Digital feeds are dropping quickly.
post #1443 of 1484 Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Will try and reply back with their response if I get an answer.
post #1444 of 1484 Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonUserSue View Post

Will try and reply back with their response if I get an answer.
It seems most stations are quick to respond since they can blame Rovi. I guess that makes them feel better.
post #1445 of 1484 Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 11
Gone in Northern CA. The worst is the lose has affected my 3 Toshiba V9 HDTV’s. They are locking up and regular channel tuning via CableCard stops working. I have to unplug them to regain use.

In a few weeks I have business in Santa Carla, Rovi’s hometown and I plan to leave my 4 DHGs door stops at Rovi’s front door.
post #1446 of 1484 Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Gone in Northern CA. The worst is the lose has affected my 3 Toshiba V9 HDTV’s. They are locking up and regular channel tuning via CableCard stops working. I have to unplug them to regain use.

In a few weeks I have business in Santa Carla, Rovi’s hometown and I plan to leave my 4 DHGs door stops at Rovi’s front door.
davygrvy likes this.
post #1447 of 1484 Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Gone in Durham (and presumably, Raleigh), NC.

My Sharp LC-37D7U had data last night, but no longer. mad.gif
post #1448 of 1484 Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Gone in San Francisco Bay Area - received confirmation from KPIX engineering that they have pulled the equipment. I have listings through next Tuesday 3am.
post #1449 of 1484 Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM

no TV guide in FL with comcast . with cable card and without no listings
post #1450 of 1484 Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
TVGOS listings have disappeared in Boston. The last listings that I have end on Wednesday, 02/27 at 4 am. My TVGOS data comes from Boston's WBZ channel 4 which is a CBS owned-and-operated station.

The chief engineer from WBZ channel 4 in Boston has confirmed that TVGOS has ended in Boston in
his posting in the Boston, MA OTA thread.
post #1451 of 1484 Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Gone here in Toronto Canada too... mad.gif
post #1452 of 1484 Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I lost my TVGOS data today. mad.gif

Yea, I knew it was going to happen.

It crashed a bit hard too. Last night I had listings, and with a quick check, I had several days worth. However, this morning, the listings and the grid itself is gone on my Toshiba. Replaced by the "searching" message. For my Toshiba, it seems I will now have to replace my free CableCard and TVGOS, with a $10/month STB and its program guide.

Ah well, it was a good ride and nothing can last forever. Though, I still feel pretty betrayed by Toshiba and Sony.
post #1453 of 1484 Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I might as well make it official that at 11:37:34PM the last ever TVGOS clock set occured as at midnight the TVGOS servers went offline for ever. From my understanding the analog inserters that Rovi installed in all of the Service Electric headends were the last to be shutdown. I noticed last night before I went to bed that the data had stopped even though my inserter is still running. I checked my upstairs Pioneer Kuro with V9 this morning and I noted the last clock set which indicated the last time data came in from Rovi. The last listings download happened for me on Wedneday morning at 2:37am. Next Thursday at 3:30am will be the last of the TVGOS listings for me. As I promised I will call the supervisor of my cable company on monday morning to inform him that the data stopped so they can shut off and disconnect the inserter and then restore the analog host channel back to digital for the cablecard lineup.

This is a bittersweet moment for me as I have been using TVGOS non stop since it started in the mid to late 1990's. I have had 6 devices with TVGOS embedded in it, 3 RCA TVs, 1 Sony DHG, and 2 Pioneer TVs. My original 36 inch analog Home Theater RCA TV that I bought in 1997 and has the original version of TVGOS is still in use and TVGOS was working on it to the bitter end. I gave this TV to my elderly neighbor in 2005 as I just got my first RCA HDTV DLP which had V8 TVGOS. I just gave Joe Kustra the DHG yesterday afternoon as I did not want it anymore. My two V9 TVGOS Kuros are still in use.
The original host stations were the ABC stations and then they switched to PBS around 2000 and that lasted until the analog shutdown. I never really had any data issues until the change over to digital occured. The big issue in my DMA was none of the stations wanted the digital TVGOS inserter, especially Nexstar who owns the CBS and NBC affiliates in my market. It was at this point that Service Electric worked with Rovi and at least provided their customers with the service through the use of the old analog inserters. It did require some modifications to equipment in the headends but the Service Electric and Rovi engineers figured it out and got it working. Service Electric did this free of charge to Rovi and their customers and for that I am extremely greatfull. Ironically a Rovi engineer told me last fall that Service Electric was the most cooperative with Rovi even though they never had any obligation to carry the TVGOS service.

I do not know what direction I will take as I understand that my cable company is testing a 6 tuner DVR for their system with a new guide. Since I own my two cablecards and I no longer have any guide service on my Pioneer TVs I may buy two Tivo Premeire 4s or just leave them in the Pioneers and get my cable companies new whole home system when it becomes available. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.
WaltA likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1454 of 1484 Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I might as well make it official that at 11:37:34PM the last ever TVGOS clock set occured as at midnight the TVGOS servers went offline for ever. From my understanding the analog inserters that Rovi installed in all of the Service Electric headends were the last to be shutdown. I noticed last night before I went to bed that the data had stopped even though my inserter is still running. I checked my upstairs Pioneer Kuro with V9 this morning and I noted the last clock set which indicated the last time data came in from Rovi. The last listings download happened for me on Wedneday morning at 2:37am. Next Thursday at 3:30am will be the last of the TVGOS listings for me.

That matches my observations too. I believe the TVGOS notice and the CBS/KYW ads stopped around Thursday, leaving just the "Welcome" blocks. That's why I was more diligently checking for listings these past few days.
Quote:

It was at this point that Service Electric worked with Rovi and at least provided their customers with the service through the use of the old analog inserters. It did require some modifications to equipment in the headends but the Service Electric and Rovi engineers figured it out and got it working. Service Electric did this free of charge to Rovi and their customers and for that I am extremely greatfull. Ironically a Rovi engineer told me last fall that Service Electric was the most cooperative with Rovi even though they never had any obligation to carry the TVGOS service.

Yes, Service Electric has been great. I have to remember to send the headend guy a thank-you.

I will admit, I was kind-of hoping that Service Electric would have found a way to keep their TVGOS inserters running, somehow substituting the basic program guide data feed they already buy from Rovi for their STB's.

Let me add, that my XBR6 has a way to have the tuner power off with the set, instead being kept powered on for TVGOS. I'll now enable that option. Unfortunately, my Toshiba doesn't have such, and therefore, its tuner will remain powered up continuously, for no good purpose anymore.
post #1455 of 1484 Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

That matches my observations too. I believe the TVGOS notice and the CBS/KYW ads stopped around Thursday, leaving just the "Welcome" blocks. That's why I was more diligently checking for listings these past few days.
Yes, Service Electric has been great. I have to remember to send the headend guy a thank-you.
I noticed that the doomsday ad was gone on Thursday afternoon but I had to wait until Friday to see if the listings stopped. I talked with Joe Kustra on Friday to confirm with him if he is seeing the same thing. I figured if I seen a post from you that this was the official end. When I seen the email post from this thread this morning I knew it was over with. I then checked both my guides for the last clock set and it was late last night.
Quote:
I will admit, I was kind-of hoping that Service Electric would have found a way to keep their TVGOS inserters running, somehow substituting the basic program guide data feed they already buy from Rovi for their STB's.

Let me add, that my XBR6 has a way to have the tuner power off with the set, instead being kept powered on for TVGOS. I'll now enable that option. Unfortunately, my Toshiba doesn't have such, and therefore, its tuner will remain powered up continuously, for no good purpose anymore.

I did ask about this last fall but it would require engineering a new inserter but Rovi sold the inserter company Norpak to Ross Video of Canada over two years ago. When Rovi removed TVGOS from its product page in January of 2012 I figured the end was coming as it become a legacy guide found only on the support page.

In order for me to shutdown the guide in my Kuros I have to enter the service menu and reset the TVs back to their factory defaults. Then I do not set up the guide when I restart them. This way I can set the clock in the TV manually. I am leaning toward Tivos right now since I own both of my Cablecards. I already reset the RCA DLP back to its factory defaults through its service menu. Maybe if you call Toshiba they can tell you how to do this.

post #1456 of 1484 Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Everyone who paid $400 to $500 dollars above the usual price for a CE item with TVGOS can claim an implied service for the lifetime of the unit--not just DHG owners. That the unit in question is still usable in other respects only shows that the unit is still in its lifetime. Gemstar/Rovi got that money and owes the continued service.

The absence of a manual time/date menu item on the DHG shows that Sony expected the TVGOS service to continue for the lifetime of that unit. The Sony update from analog to digital reception of TVGOS showed that Sony supported TVGOS service for the lifetime of the unit.

Instead of writing a letter to Sony, Toshiba, or whomever, that gets filed in the trash, try your state's consumer complaint site at the state attorney general's website. At the very least they will forward your complaint, but it will arrive in a more noticeable envelope.

If someone bought a first class ticket on a 747 to Europe, and during a stop over were moved to a DC10, should they say "It was good while it lasted," and say they understood the financial hardships of an airline in the real world of business?

What Rovi did seems unfair to many people posting. We don't have to be so nice about it. So the inserters can't be, won't be, restored no matter what. Is it my bad to see if writing to state law officials might, if only, get even a little bit?
post #1457 of 1484 Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Rovi didn't kiss you first. I don't think Sony or the government is going to kiss you now. In the current situation venting may feel good but I don't think it is going to be productive. The DHG is now it is a semi-usable VCR, tomorrow a brick. Oh well.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #1458 of 1484 Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

While I would support any letter writing, I can think of back when Verizon Wireless stopped supporting GM cars with AMP based On*Star. When Verizon made such plans to drop AMP support, they assumed that most people turn-over cell phones often enough, that it would not matter. What Verizon forgot, was the people tend to not junk their cars after just 1 or 2 years of use; even GM cars.

However, even with all those GM car owners growling, including in the press, nothing was done. So, I doubt the government would take up the TVGOS cause.
post #1459 of 1484 Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

TVGOS Officially Ended On March 22nd 2013

I received a confirmation from Rovi that the TVGOS service has ended. The last listings was broadcasted on Thursday March 21st and the last TVGOS data was broadcasted on March 22nd. On monday I contacted my cable provider, as I got TVGOS through an analog inserter installed in the headend, and asked if they received any confirmation that the service has ended. They tried to contact broadcast operations but the number was disconnected. They called corporate Rovi but the lady who answered had no knowledge what TVGOS was. I took a gamble and tried a contact I had in Rovi and that person is still there and he/she informed me that the service has ended and they will contact my cable provider that the service has ended and instructions for returning the equipment.

My last listings had expired at 3:30AM Thursday morning, the 28th of March, ending a 15 year non stop run of the TVGOS service. My RCA analog tv that I bought back in 1997, had the original TVGOS version and worked until the very end. My other TVGOS devices are 2 TVGOS Version 9 Pioneer Kuros, 2 Version 8 TVGOS devices which are a RCA DLP and the Sony DHG.

RIP TVGOS 1997-2013.

post #1460 of 1484 Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TVGOS Officially Ended On March 22nd 2013
RIP TVGOS 1997-2013.

No hope for a clock?
post #1461 of 1484 Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm so sorry for your loss . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1462 of 1484 Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

No hope for a clock?

I didn't hear anything yet. This will be up to Rovi. If this works we will have a fully functional guide again with updated listings. Again this is up to Rovi.

post #1463 of 1484 Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Why do you thin there is hope we will get a guide back when they have announced cessation of the service?
Do you know of some mythical PSIP -> TVGOS packet converter we can all run out and buy?
post #1464 of 1484 Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Why do you thin there is hope we will get a guide back when they have announced cessation of the service?
Do you know of some mythical PSIP -> TVGOS packet converter we can all run out and buy?

TVGOS needed 4 basic components to work. A main database that is still operational, a server farm, broadcast operations, which has been shutdown, inserters which in the case of Joe Kustra and I are still in place, and a consumer device to receive the data which are still in place and operating. Joe Kustra and my cable company is looking into retreiving the missing component, the server and the software that goes with it, and doing TVGOS internally over their cable system since they use Rovi for their I-Guide listings, which by the way taps the same main database. The only thing that will prevent this from happening will be Coporate Rovi, which I believe will be the biggest hurdle as they may not want this to happen.
Technically making it work in my cable companies headend is extremely easy but convincing Rovi to go along with it is not.

post #1465 of 1484 Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM

I have a Sanyo DP32649 TV and it has the TVGOS feature. I understand that it's been discontinued in North America, but what I want to know is....why was it discontinued?
post #1466 of 1484 Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB9741 View Post

I have a Sanyo DP32649 TV and it has the TVGOS feature. I understand that it's been discontinued in North America, but what I want to know is....why was it discontinued?

Rovi Corp is not doing well financially so they are throwing things overboard trying to cut costs. TVGOS is not the only thing they got rid of and it probably will not be the last. We will have to wait until the third financial quarter to see if the ending of TVGOS stopped their ship from sinking or just bought them a little more time. The consumer electronics industry is suffering in this crappy economy. Panasonic, Sharp, Logitech, and the electronics division of Sony are just a few examples of companies that are facing dire consequences if consumers don't drastically increase their spending soon. Dire consequences mean that they may disappear forever.

post #1467 of 1484 Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I am not at all surprised that they decided to end the service, regardless of their financial situation. I engaged in multiple email and telephone discussions (roughly from 2009 to 2010) with Rovi in an attempt to resolve issues I was experiencing with TVGOS. I worked closely with engineers from the local CBS affiliate and Comcast cable, and Rovi even provided a device for me to test TVGOS signal reception via OTA and cable at my home. My equipment included devices capable of operating with the last five versions of TVGOS, and all of them were experiencing problems with the guide. But in January of 2011 I had permanently lost the service on the TVGOS version 8 devices, both OTA and via CableCard. And the one device (a Sony LCD TV) that got TVGOS via the internet continued to have intermittent issues. By then, the engineers at Rovi had stopped returning my phone calls and responding to my emails. So I got rid of every last device that used TVGOS, and moved on. Currently, I use the iPad app to check TV listings for immediate viewing, and rely on the interactive guide from the cable company for recording on their DVR.
post #1468 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rovi Corp is not doing well financially so they are throwing things overboard trying to cut costs. TVGOS is not the only thing they got rid of and it probably will not be the last. We will have to wait until the third financial quarter to see if the ending of TVGOS stopped their ship from sinking or just bought them a little more time.

Rovi also increased their charges for their guide data wherever they could. My local cable company had to pass those increased costs along, and customers who use to get the program guide on their STB's for free, now have to pay $2.99/month. However, there was no way for Rovi to charge more for TVGOS, and for a while, it seems like the meager ad revenue there was, dried up.
post #1469 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:

TVGOS needed 4 basic components to work. A main database that is still operational, a server farm, broadcast operations, which has been shutdown, inserters which in the case of Joe Kustra and I are still in place, and a consumer device to receive the data which are still in place and operating. Joe Kustra and my cable company is looking into retrieving the missing component, the server and the software that goes with it, and doing TVGOS internally over their cable system since they use Rovi for their I-Guide listings, which by the way taps the same main database. The only thing that will prevent this from happening will be Corporate Rovi, which I believe will be the biggest hurdle as they may not want this to happen.
Technically making it work in my cable companies headend is extremely easy but convincing Rovi to go along with it is not.

Why doesn't Rovi just let the Cable Companies (SECTV) have the option of privately inserting the TVGOS data on their system? Just dropping everything which effects so many people is not a way to handle business. They could cut costs and still make money letting Cable Companies privately handing the service since I am sure many use the data for their own equipment anyway.

I have a cable card that was remapped for analog, after everything went digital, so I could get the listing off of host channel 50 of the Guide. Now that the VBI guide has stopped, will there be a digital version coming and if so what channel would it be on? My Panasonic version of TVGOS works on analog and digital. I think that maybe the digital version only works OTA. Am I screwed either way or is there some kind of work a round. I had many problems until the guide finally working with the cable card with only a few good years of use. I bought my wide screen plasma TV in late 2005, this sucks big time!
post #1470 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamThing View Post

Why doesn't Rovi just let the Cable Companies (SECTV) have the option of privately inserting the TVGOS data on their system?

Cable Companies need the TVGOS data from Rovi. I believe SECTV still has their inserters, but its was the TVGOS data to SECTV (and what ever else remained) that Rovi cut off last week.

What would it cost Rovi to start/continue supplying the TVGOS data to "just" SECTV? I don't know of any other major cable company that directly supplied/supported TVGOS for its customers. That might just make any such attempt either cost prohibitive to Rovi or cost prohibitive to SECTV.

Quote:

... , will there be a digital version coming and if so what channel would it be on?

Unfortunately, no. "Its dead Jim."

Quote:

..., this sucks big time!

Yes, it does.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page