Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

I get a very weak, snowy signal on analog 6 (not surprising, since it's low-VHF and I use a rooftop UHF antennae). Comcast re-broadcasts it as the original analog signal on their channel 90 (cablecard or set top box). KVIE-6 analog hasn't been transmitting TVGOS info for about a month now.

Your TVGOS clock is set by any TVGOS host station (to read UTC time), but until you get a correct timezone packet for your zipcode from your host station, it will not set your local time. If you have no local time set, TVGOS will go no further.

P.S. In an all digital setup, I'm getting VBI Slicing packets, but no timezone packets yet. This is after 2 days from a system reset.

i just got my guide back and updated my system last night. says my host channel is 0-6 so is that the analog ? or digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penuthed View Post

i just got my guide back and updated my system last night. says my host channel is 0-6 so is that the analog ? or digital.

I don't know. Depends on what device you have and where you got that info from. "says my host channel is 0-6" is not a lot to go on You may want to check on your device specific thread (if there is one here) and provide a bit more info. All you've posted so far is that you have a Samsung, I have a Honda, what's the recommeded torque for the 5th head-bolt? See what I mean?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM

I live in Folsom and my guide just came back yesterday after being out for over 3 weeks. My host channel was blank and now it says 6. This is strange because I emailed KVIE last week and they said they had not renewed the contract with Gemstar. I have economy basic with Comcast (no box), so maybe Comcast is sending the signal out over analog channel 6?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM

http://tvgos.custhelp.com/

sign up for an account and you can post questions to Macrovision. Don't know if they get answered:-)

Some posts:
Feature differences between V7, 8 and 9
http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...p_sid=iFhbGSuj
(there is an Excel file you can download)

V 7 diagnostics

V8 diagnostics

V9 Troubleshooting (several download-able docs)

and finally a monthly Data Passage Report for the US by GBA (Gemstar Broadcast Area) The TVGOS Host ID is the hex number for your GBA. Download - PDF.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Found on the Macrovision TVGOS support site:
http://www.macrovision.com/support/9...link_id=topnav

Note - no Panasonic is listed so must be currently in production devices?
But here's this:
Artec Support
Purchase an Artec digital-to-analog converter box that plugs into your existing television or VCR with TV Guide or Guide Plus+ built in.
Now available for purchase nationwide at www.artecdtv.com or by calling (626) 912-0668.
more»

http://www.artecdtv.com/

No luck so far locating a user manual or any more info on the TVGuide/TVGOS piece.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafi1 View Post

Found on the Macrovision TVGOS support site:
http://www.macrovision.com/support/9...link_id=topnav

Note - no Panasonic is listed so must be currently in production devices?

Yes, appears they are only showing TVGOS v9 devices. It mentions to contact your device manufacturer. "If you need additional support for TV Guide On Screen, please contact your manufacturer or you can contact us directly at Ce_customer_support@tvguide.com or 800-386-7380."
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafi1 View Post

Artec Support
Purchase an Artec digital-to-analog converter box that plugs into your existing television or VCR with TV Guide or Guide Plus+ built in.
Now available for purchase nationwide at www.artecdtv.com or by calling (626) 912-0668.
more»

http://www.artecdtv.com/

No luck so far locating a user manual or any more info on the TVGuide/TVGOS piece.

I don't have one, but looks like their manuals are here.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Mits TVGOS (v08.01.71) hasn't picked up new software or a channel lineup since I reset it 6 days ago. Since I finally got a dual-stream Cable Card in my TiVo HD, I gave the single stream card that was in my Mits back to Comcast.

As far as TVGOS on my Mits goes, I'm strictly digital OTA now. Disconnected Comcast cable from the Mits and plugged my OTA UHF antenna in. Setup the Mits for OTA on that input, scanned channels and turned off all analog channels in the Mits channel editor so they cannot be tuned. I then System Reset the TVGOS and set it up from scratch.

I'm not going to play with TVGOS anymore (tune to Host & leave on, do G* Test, etc.). I'll check it once a day to see if it ever gets a lineup.

It's been 4 days since I setup my Mits device in an all digital environment. Appears it does slicing, but after 230+ zipcode packets it still hasn't found a timezone packet, so although I have UCT time, I don't have local time, a host channel, a lineup or a grid yet. [TVGOS base version 08.01.71]
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianop View Post

I live in Folsom and my guide just came back yesterday after being out for over 3 weeks. My host channel was blank and now it says 6. This is strange because I emailed KVIE last week and they said they had not renewed the contract with Gemstar. I have economy basic with Comcast (no box), so maybe Comcast is sending the signal out over analog channel 6?

I am in Fair Oaks and I do NOT subscribe to cable nor satellite. I did not check over the w/e, but as of Monday 4/6 my grid data was back (about 423 broadcasters) with no listing data. Then by 4/7 all the data was populated. I do not know which broadcaster is supplying the data, but I am definitely getting it OTA analog. My digital tuners are outboard.

CA GUY
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm still fighting with Mits. the latest is macrovision tells them I'm not using the corect Zip Code.
I had to send them screen shots of a G* test showing there are no VBI data packets being received. What does a Zip Code have to do with that??

Hi:

Videobruce - Did the firmware update for your tv NOT allow digital transmission of TVGOS data? I applied the Mits FW update, and am not receiving VBI data on digital channel 2.1, KDKA DT here in Pittsburgh, and no listings. The PBS station that supplied data for the guide pulled the analog plug on April 1st.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I don't have one, but looks like their manuals are here.

But for some reason they have no manual posted for the Artec T3APR-T Digital-to-Analog Converter Box, the TVGOS box.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been 4 days since I setup my Mits device in an all digital environment. Appears it does slicing, but after 230+ zipcode packets it still hasn't found a timezone packet, so although I have UCT time, I don't have local time, a host channel, a lineup or a grid yet. [TVGOS base version 08.01.71]

Checking tonight (day 5), it has a few more zipcode packets, but otherwise, nothing new.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gianop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Guy View Post

I am in Fair Oaks and I do NOT subscribe to cable nor satellite. I did not check over the w/e, but as of Monday 4/6 my grid data was back (about 423 broadcasters) with no listing data. Then by 4/7 all the data was populated. I do not know which broadcaster is supplying the data, but I am definitely getting it OTA analog. My digital tuners are outboard.

Sacramento here- Yesterday I set up my Panasonic EH75 to control a Zenith 901 converter box via an IR blaster. The converter box only has the digital stations tuned. I use an outside antenna. So far the TVGOSis sitting and spinning. I know it can take a couple of days. I hope I can pick up the TVGOS again with that set up. Thanks for letting me know TVGOS is available locally again.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:42 PM

BTW, here is some info on my device...

Pioneer DVR-633
8.1.53/8.6.44
TVGOS Version 8
AVS Forum > Video Components > DVD Recorders
Pioneer Disappearing EPG (Thread#572679)
_http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572679
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Mits TVGOS (v08.01.71) hasn't picked up new software or a channel lineup since I reset it 6 days ago. Since I finally got a dual-stream Cable Card in my TiVo HD, I gave the single stream card that was in my Mits back to Comcast.

As far as TVGOS on my Mits goes, I'm strictly digital OTA now. Disconnected Comcast cable from the Mits and plugged my OTA UHF antenna in. Setup the Mits for OTA on that input, scanned channels and turned off all analog channels in the Mits channel editor so they cannot be tuned. I then System Reset the TVGOS and set it up from scratch.

I'm not going to play with TVGOS anymore (tune to Host & leave on, do G* Test, etc.). I'll check it once a day to see if it ever gets a lineup.

6 days, has 314 zipcode packets, but no timezone packets yet.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianop View Post

BTW, here is some info on my device...

Pioneer DVR-633
8.1.53/8.6.44
TVGOS Version 8
AVS Forum > Video Components > DVD Recorders
Pioneer Disappearing EPG (Thread#572679)
_http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572679

Thanks, added to post #1
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 AM

My guides all gone again. had it for about a week and then as of 4/10/09 it completely dissapeared and went back to the no data for this screen message.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

7 days now. 405 zipcode packets, but no timezone packets yet, so nothing new to report.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Since you mentioned it, what are the most important data entries one should look for (since there are so many) when one is waiting for the system to recover from a "No data" mode.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since you mentioned it, what are the most important data entries one should look for (since there are so many) when one is waiting for the system to recover from a "No data" mode.

For my device (the Mits), I make sure to setup TVGOS for the correct inputs (OTA on ANT1), do a channel scan on the Mits, turn the Mits off so TVGOS can scan the channels looking for data.

Things I check are on diag screens;

System-System Statistics
  • ZIP Code is equal to that entered in setup
  • Host ID is set (0x13 in my case, which is GBA 19)
TVGOS clock in upper left corner of any diag screen is set to correct
  • UTC date and time with a [3] after it showing the clock was set by some host transmitting TVGOS data.
OTHER-Clocks 2
  • Clock Set Chan (0:13-1 digital CBS in my case)
VBI Data-VBI Info
  • LastClkSet (UTC date & time of the last clock set)
ATSC-ATSC Slicer
  • TVG (40669 packets in my case)
  • C Good (44956 packets in my case)
Reception-VBI Stats
LineupPkt (0 here)
LineupSelPkts (0 here)
StationPkt (3 here)
ZipcodePkts (449 here)
TimezonePkts (0 here)
HostSchedule (85 here)

Once you get your timezone packet, the timezone and offset info will appear on OTHER-Clocks 1 and you'll see Lineup packets incrementing in Reception-VBI Stats.

When I was analog I would also watch Reception-Slicing, but there's no data there now.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Host ID is set (0x13 in my case, which is GBA 19)

Where is the conversion table for this? Hex to something meaningful?
Of the "Reception-VBI Stats" is the "ZipcodePkts" the most important?

Since you spent more time with this than Macrovision ( ), have you gotten any handle on the order of these entrys that starts showing numbers? IOW's, can you make a list of these more prevelant lines in order of them receiving data?
Hope that made sense. Reason being, so one can judge the progress of the system updating itself from a full reset other than looking for the clock, then the firmware updates, then host channel showing, then the provider choices and finally listings appearing.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where is the conversion table for this? Hex to something meaningful?

Windows Calculator "View->Scientific" lets you convert between the numeric bases of Binary, Octal, Decimal and Hex.

Also see my many previous posts about utilizing the "Substitute ZIP Codes" in the DTVPal+ CECB Manual. Those Substitute ZIP Codes are decimal GBA's.

Quote:

Of the "Reception-VBI Stats" is the "ZipcodePkts" the most important?

No, the timezone packets (TimezonePkts) are.

Quote:

Since you spent more time with this than Macrovision ( ), have you gotten any handle on the order of these entrys that starts showing numbers? IOW's, can you make a list of these more prevelant lines in order of them receiving data?

Flattery will get you nowhere here in a hurry. I'm now enjoying a TiVo HD that I wish I had years ago. The TVGOS is only staying enabled on the Mits to help others on the forum that depend on it and I'm not expending any more energy than necessary chasing it. I'm just letting it run from a dead-start in an all-digital environment here as a benchmark for others. I could care less about it at this point and would rather disable it. I wasted too much of my time on it already and got to the point where I yelled ENOUGH, ALREADY!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Speaking of Mits, my V-9.1.56 still hasn't recovered from the loss of TVGOS over cable. For some reason it simply will NOT go look OTA for the TVGOS, even though the data is available on both CBS digital and PBS analog. I have tried everything short of a complete system reset. I never did figure out how to initiate a G*Test on this TV.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM

In addition to my Sony DHG-HDD500 not working(clock off 4-6 hours and no listings)

1) Sharp Aquos LC-32D7U
2) 08.01.41/08.05.44
3) I don't know

ÂInsanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.Â
Albert Einstein
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj9999 View Post

In addition to my Sony DHG-HDD500 not working(clock off 4-6 hours and no listings)

1) Sharp Aquos LC-32D7U
2) 08.01.41/08.05.44
3) I don't know

Thanks, added to post#1
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

10 days now and still no timezone packets, so nothing to report.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Hi:

Just curious - what model Mitsubishi televisons are giving you TVGOS issues? Please post. My WD-Y65 (WD-65732 circuit city clone) guide listings crapped out after the local PBS analog station went off the air on April 1st. No data for you! Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Myoda -

My Mits that has "TVGuide Daily" is an LT-46246 that is about 3 months old. It has V-9.1.56 TVGOS software. I also have an older 2002 Mits (WS-65711) that has no TVGOS. And I have a 2004 Sharp Aquos in which the manual speaks of having TVGOS, but the TV does not actually have it, due to some last minute snafu between Sharp and GemStar. And I also have three HDD500's, which YOU promised will have a firmware update at 9:00 EST on Friday . . . . .

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16097322

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TVGOS has been out for 3 months after being out for another 2 in November with numerous calls to Toshiba Tech support, including incident report to Macrovision. In general Toshiba's support is good and they try to be helpful but no one thought to ask what station was listed for the only Analog ( read: TVGOS host) channel. Originally like many it was the local PBS station but now is CBS. I stumbled on this by pure frustration and when I called Toshiba late afternoon, 4/13 and also e-mailed Macrovision with the incident # and my Zipcode lo and behold I started to receive some data by the next afternoon,and the full grid by this morning Why Macrovision would have to be told about this when Comcast is probably their largest provider of TVGOS info for them is really incompetent. How could they not have been in contact with Comcast in the Philly area to coordinate changing the host channel for PBS to CBS? Even though anyone with TVGOS should be the same priority you would think a market as large as Philadelphia and it's suburbs would not fall through the tracks. Done my rant, glad I have my guide back
Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

12 days and nothing yet. I have over 1,000 zipcode packets, yet no timezone packets.

I did learn something today. I went to check on the TVGOS as I do everyday to see if it would finally ask me to select a lineup. When I changed the input on my Mits TV from the DVR to the antenna, it came up on analog channel 42, which is a Spanish station. It also shows it as the VBI channel (0:0-42), which is PROOF it cheated on me. I always tune to CBS digital 13.1 before changing inputs or turning it off. I have all the analog stations turned off on my Mits channel editor, so surfing by doing a channel up/down only goes through the digital channels and you cannot tune to any other channel unless you key in the channel number on the remote. Looks like TVGOS is desperate and scanning ALL channels.

P.S. Just to make sure, I just turned the set on to check again and it came up on analog channel 19. It's definitely cheating on me.