post #1471 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

Cable Companies need the TVGOS data from Rovi. I believe SECTV still has their inserters, but its was the TVGOS data to SECTV (and what ever else remained) that Rovi cut off last week.
I think all the Service Electric inserters are analog. The probability of a digital inserter is less than zero. Still in limbo here, but I am doubtful of a happy ending. Anyhow, happy April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamThing View Post

[...]
I have a cable card that was remapped for analog, after everything went digital, so I could get the listing off of host channel 50 of the Guide. Now that the VBI guide has stopped, will there be a digital version coming and if so what channel would it be on? My Panasonic version of TVGOS works on analog and digital. I think that maybe the digital version only works OTA. Am I screwed either way or is there some kind of work a round. I had many problems until the guide finally working with the cable card with only a few good years of use. I bought my wide screen plasma TV in late 2005, this sucks big time!

All TVGOS that was distributed by OTA (digital), or cable (analog and/or digital) has been discontinued by Rovi. This nation wide shutdown began back in November 2012, and was completed within the last couple of weeks. There is no more TVGOS for your devices to receive through your cable system.

Mark
post #1473 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Why doesn't Rovi just let the Cable Companies (SECTV) have the option of privately inserting the TVGOS data on their system? Just dropping everything which effects so many people is not a way to handle business. They could cut costs and still make money letting Cable Companies privately handing the service since I am sure many use the data for their own equipment anyway.
Technically Service Electric was inserting TVGOS privately but the inserters need servers to work and that is what Rovi eliminated is broadcast operations which servered the inserters from the main database. The database contains all the guide and clock data which needs to be updated on a daily basis. The servers contained all the redundant data for each DMA and the data to maintain the grid in the guides. Service Electric will need the servers and the TVGOS software from Rovi in order to make the guides on their system to work again. I seriously doubt corporate Rovi will allow this to happen so do not get any hopes up.

Quote:

I have a cable card that was remapped for analog, after everything went digital, so I could get the listing off of host channel 50 of the Guide. Now that the VBI guide has stopped, will there be a digital version coming and if so what channel would it be on? My Panasonic version of TVGOS works on analog and digital. I think that maybe the digital version only works OTA. Am I screwed either way or is there some kind of work a round. I had many problems until the guide finally working with the cable card with only a few good years of use. I bought my wide screen plasma TV in late 2005, this sucks big time!
There will be no digital insertion as the only guides that were digital TVGOS only was version 10. The version 10 guides also have the ability to get the guide data from an internet connection. Almost all of the version 9 guides were digital TVGOS ready but they also can work with analog TVGOS so Service Electric is better off just doing analog insertion only as the they have been doing. Again this is assuming that Service Electric themselves decide to persue this then they have to get corporate Rovi to go along with it. I do not see that really happening. I have two cablecards in two version 9 Pioneer kuros that I had to buy from Service Electric so I am now considering in buying two Tivos and put the cards in them and wash my hands of TVGOS.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1474 of 1484 Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I have two cablecards in two version 9 Pioneer kuros that I had to buy from Service Electric so I am now considering in buying two Tivos and put the cards in them and wash my hands of TVGOS.
Some rampant speculation on a "series 5" Premiere on the TiVo Community site.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501974
post #1475 of 1484 Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In hindsight, possibly the FCC should have required a program guide together with CableCard support. Such could have been TVGOS, but at least there would have been some "teeth" to ensuring that such continues. I mean, if one reads any kind of comparison between a STB and a CableCard, one of the major negatives for CableCard is the lack of a program guide.
post #1476 of 1484 Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1477 of 1484 Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM

post #1478 of 1484 Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I just read this, there may be some glimmer of hope for some Sony DVR users.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Other-Sony-Products/Sony-DVR-s-need-TV-Guide-On-screen-data-Rovi-will-halt-support/td-p/37045

I must be missing what you're supposedly seeing.

post #1479 of 1484 Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I must be missing what you're supposedly seeing.

All I can think is that he was referring to the message that is marked as a "solution" rolleyes.gif. In that message someone lists four things that could happen to get the DHGs working again (that message was posted on 11/24/2012, which was not too long after the shutdown had started). None of those four things have happened. I particularly enjoyed option b) where the guy from his PBS station "heard" that someone else would start sending out the data rolleyes.gif. He didn't mention option e) though, which would be to spread pixie dust over the top of your TVGOS device, and then it could get data from any guide source you want biggrin.gif.
post #1480 of 1484 Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrown2 View Post

Gone in San Francisco Bay Area - received confirmation from KPIX engineering that they have pulled the equipment. I have listings through next Tuesday 3am.

KOVR from Sacramento shutoff the 25th. They were my backup since KPIX dropped off. My clock is still accurate until next power blink. I didn't get it on a UPS in time frown.gif
post #1481 of 1484 Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Time to close the thread and move it to archive ...

RIP TVGOS.
post #1482 of 1484 Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davygrvy View Post

KOVR from Sacramento shutoff the 25th. They were my backup since KPIX dropped off. My clock is still accurate until next power blink. I didn't get it on a UPS in time frown.gif

I managed to continue to use the timer feature with accurate time until a 12 hr power outage last week. Fortunately, it was almost exactly a 12 hr power outage. Now the clock is blank and the guide, devoid of listings, is 12 hrs off +/- a couple of minutes.

For now, I can figure out how to set the timers. Once the power goes out again I am probably screwed.
post #1483 of 1484 Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie14 View Post

I managed to continue to use the timer feature with accurate time until a 12 hr power outage last week. Fortunately, it was almost exactly a 12 hr power outage. Now the clock is blank and the guide, devoid of listings, is 12 hrs off +/- a couple of minutes.

For now, I can figure out how to set the timers. Once the power goes out again I am probably screwed.

From the last page of the DHG thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/537711/sony-dhg-hdd250-500-official-thread/26300_50 which is called the "izzy method". Nothing will get you back the date, but this can get you time and day-of-week. It's based on the fact that the clock doesn't run after a front panel reset until you hit the white power button.

post #1484 of 1484 Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks. I should have been more clear. I don't have one of the Sony DVRs. I have a 2006 Hitachi TV that would output the OTA signal using the TV guide timers to my Phillips HDD-DVD recorder. Even though the guide just said "No Listing" in every time block, I could still use those blocks to set timers...until my time went blank after a twelve hour power outage. Oddly, the guide still "moves"-it's twelve hours slow-but with no time on the clock itself the timers never fire.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to set the TV Guide's time manually. The TV itself can have time set manually, but that doesn't affect the TV Guide's time in any way.

Now the only way to send the signal to the recorder is to have the TV powered on.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page