AVS Forum banner

TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices

273K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  howie14 
#1 ·
This thread was started in an attempt to do the following;
  1. List CE devices with Gemstar /Macrovision /ROVI TVGOS
  2. Provide links to other threads on this Forum discussing that device with TVGOS
  3. List if the CE device is compatible with DTV (Digital) TVGOS transmissions - v8 (w/base 08.##.65 and up) and newer are

In order to gather that information and keep it updated in this post, keep this in mind...

When posting, please provide the following three pieces of information in your post;
  1. Manufacturer and Model of device you use it on (add revision/version/build, etc. if you know it matters).
  2. Links to threads on this forum discussing your device and TVGOS, or "don't know".
  3. TVGOS Version on your device, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or "don't know".

If you can't find a thread on this forum covering your device and TVGOS, check back here as this post will get updated with any links that replies here provide.

Trip maintains the RabbitEars website listing confirmed TVGOS host channels here and an Unofficial Guide to TVGOS written by Lance G. here

If you don't know which version of TVGOS you have, here is some info that may help you to find it;

Quote:
Version 0 of the Guide does NOT have any diagnostics.

You can recognize a V0 device by its menu.

SURF NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 1 of the Guide does have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V1 device by its menu.

FEATURES NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 2 and higher of the Guide do have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V2 device by its menu.

GRID SORT SCHEDULE MESSAGES

For V1 Diagnostics, select FEATURES, then DIAGNOSTICS, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V2 - V7 Diagnostics, go to MESSAGES, down arrow to highlight the TVG ID number, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852 (for some RCA devices, precede this code with a 2).

For V8 Diagnostics, Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V9 Diagnostics - According to real world users: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852. (But, according to Macrovision: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, press ENTER, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.) Whatever works for you.

NOTE: For V9 Guide Daily, Bring up TV Guide, press 'Menu' button, highlight first choice, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

Here's what my v8 device shows for versions. IGNORE THE 2 DIGIT NUMBER IN THE MIDDLE, i.e. 08.XX.44.
Quote:
08.02.44/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000
08.01.71/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000

Upper one is before my device got a firmware update from the mfg to update the base version, lower is current after the firmware update from mfg to update the base version. Version before first / is base version, after first / is patch version.

In both cases I have main patch 08.06.44, but the base version before is lower than the base version after, if you read it correctly and IGNORE the middle two numbers (XX) between the .'s on the base version! i.e. 08.ignore_this_part.44 is lower than 08.ignore_this_part.71. Think of it as 08.44 is old and 08.71 is newer. I know, it's counterintuitive to the way most developers version their software.
Code:
Code:
Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions

Devices are built with a base firmware revision which cannot be changed, except by a firmware update from your device's manuafacturer.

For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01
| | ||
| | 27 designates the minor release level.
| |
| 1 designates that this is a general release for all partners and devices. 
| 2 would designate a platform or model specific release, ex. All brand X DVRs.
|
9 is the major release level and designates what UI and level of functionality are included.

Patch levels

A patch would be displayed between the first and second slash.  For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01/
         |
         6 designates a main patch.  These usually include all patches released up to this time.
         5 would designate a setup patch.  These are short patches which fix one or two specific bugs.

Patches are downloaded over VBI just like lineup or listings.  
Main patches download three times a day during listing downloads.  
Setup patches are downloaded many times a day.  
Setup patches are critical, and they are shorter than main patches so they can 
be downloaded to units that may have trouble downloading the larger main patches.
If enough posters reply, you won't have to spend days searching the forum or reading threads to find the info you're looking for.

With so many devices using TVGOS, you will likely find relevant information in threads discussing other devices.

It could help answer questions you have, for example;
  • Is anyone else using the same device and experiencing the same issues with TVGOS?
  • Is my device's TVGOS compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • Is there an update from the manufacturer of my device to allow it to be compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • What CECB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?
  • What non-CE CB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?

ManufacturerModelTVGOS_Version (*0)Digital_compatibleForum_Links
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upThe Magic 8 Ball Speaks Out On TVGOS & DTV!
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide OnScreen issues for all devices: TV's, STB's, DVD Recorders & DVR's
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide On Screen - post your info here!
DISH/EchostarDTVPal (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal+ (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarTR40 (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal DVR9YESThe Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
LG42LB1DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG50PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG60PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LGLST-3410A7w/ DTVPalLG LST-3410A Review and Discussion
MitsubishiLT-462318v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread
MitsubishiLT-462449 (Guide Daily)Yes?
Mitsubishiv33/v34 chassis8v08.xx.65 and up (Netcommand v8.03)2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread
PanasonicDMR-E957w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH507w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH559DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-EH75V9DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-E85H7w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDVDR'sSee Thread->See Thread->Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features
PioneerDVR-6338v08.xx.65 and upPioneer Disappearing EPG
SamsungHLR-56788v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC32D7U8v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC37D5U8v08.xx.65 and upThe Official Sharp 37-inch LCD Thread
SonyDHG-HDD2508v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyDHG-HDD5008v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyHX9007w/ DTVPalSony RDR-HX900: Will it work after Feb. 17 changeover to digital broadcast?
SonyKDL-40W41009YES?
SonyKDL-40XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-40Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-42V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41509YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-46Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-52V41009YES?
SonyKDL-52W41009YES?
SonyKDL-52XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-55XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-70XBR79YES?
Toshiba50HP958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba50HPX958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba62HM948v08.xx.65 and up?

NOTES:
  • (*0) - This is the base build TVGOS version in your device, so far only updateable by the device manufacturer vs. a TVGOS patch version that is transmitted with TVGOS data.
  • (*1) - The DISH/Echostar DTVPal, DTVPal+ and TR40 are not a TVGOS device in the sense they don't utilize TVGOS data to display TVGOS on an attached TV or Monitor (they use PSIP from each digital station for that). They will, however convert digital TVGOS data received OTA to analog TVGOS data (refer to your PAL/TR40 User Guide) needed by many older TVGOS devices (versions below 08.xx.65).

POST#2 in the thread will track Version Updates to POST#1

See less See more
#2 ·
Feb 22, 2009 - Add LG LST-3410a per Rammitinski , Panasonic DMR-EH75V per tk54911 , update Panasonic DMR-EH75V and add Panasonic DMR-EH55 per jjeff , add Toshiba 50HPX95 per gmucklow , update LG LST-3410 TVGOS_Version and Digital_compatible per avnstf , clarify TVGOS_Version and why DTVPal and TR40 are listed per avnstf , correct minimum ATSC Slicing (digital) TVGOS version from 08.01.53 to 08.01.65, add SONY KDL- models per jjeff
Feb 23, 2009 - Add Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions, Update Panasonic DMR-EH55 and DMR-EH75V Digital_compatible per jtbell , add Toshiba 50HP95 per xhibit#4 , add Sharp LC37D5U and Sony HX900 per catmother
Feb 24, 2009 - Add forum thread links for panny's and toshiba
Feb 25, 2009 - Add panny DMR-E85H per bootymonger , update diags for V2-V7 to state for some RCA devices precede code w/2 per cheneyp , add links for DTVPal
Feb 28, 2009 - Add link to Trip's Digital TVGOS Service List per avnstf , add screencap of TVGOS version info from v8 diags screen, add Mitsubishi LT-46244 and Panasonic DMR-E95 per rkg22
Mar 13, 2009 - Add Panasonic DMR-EH50 per jafi1
Apr 10, 2009 - Add Pioneer DVR-633 per gianop
Apr 14, 2009 - Add Sharp Aquos LC-32D7U per dlj9999
Apr 26, 2009 - Add Mitsubishi LT-46231 per puttsthree
Apr 27, 2009 - Add Forum Thread for Mitsubishi LT-46231 per puttsthree
Apr 27, 2009 - Add Panasonic DVDR's per jjeff
Apr 28, 2009 - Add LG 50PX4DR & 60PX4DR per annonatx
May 1, 2009 - Clarify Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions - can be updated by mfg firmware update
July 2, 2009 - Add LG 42LB1DR per caseybea and update how to access V9 diags
July 3, 2009 - Update how to access V9 diags - again ;-)
August 2, 2009 - Try to clarify confusing TVGOS versions, again
August 9, 2009 - Add Samsung HLR-5678 per ABQGeo
September 20, 2009 - Add Forum link for Panasonic DMR-EH55&75V DVR per Anon request
October 8, 2009 - Add Toshiba 62HM94 per dsr15
October 7, 2010 - Add link to Official DTVPal DVR thread per dbsc
January 16, 2011 - Minor cleanup, nothing new
February 4, 2011 - Minor cleanup, nothing new
February 26, 2011 - add URL for Trip's Unofficial Guide to TVGOS by Lance G.

#3 ·
There is also the LG 3410a and countless HDD/DVD/and/or VHS recorders and TV's that have had it and are still in use. There are many scattered threads and posts on them in the DVD Recorders forum, and there is also at least one big thread on TVGOS that I know of in the rear-projection TV forum, too.

There are newer Sony and Mitsubishi flat panel LCD's that have the digital version, too.

I wouldn't even know where to begin gathering the information on every device that has ever had it. A lot of them have never even been covered on this forum.

#4 ·
bwall23, nice work! I've been hoping to find this info for awhile now, but haven't had the time to read thousands of posts. Sorry I don't have much to offer, but I own one device with TVGOS (which, at present, is still functioning; I'm in the Green Bay, Wis area, OTA, no cable, and have antenna connected both directly to Panny and through CECB):

1. Panasonic DMR-EH75V

2. don't know (dk)

3. dk

I'd be happy to answer #2 and #3, but have no clue how to figure it out.

#5 ·
Devices I own with TVGOS:

Sony W4100 LCD TV('08)-V9 digital TVGOS (note the following Sony LCDs have the same:V4100, W4100, Z4100 and XBR (late '08 and on) Note they all have TVGOS with full searching but all have "only" 24 hour listings. The cheapest Sony, S4100(sold at discount stores like Walmart/Target/Kmart etc.) doesn't have TVGOS and also many smaller Sony LCDs don't have TVGOS.

Panasonic EH-55 DVDR w/HDD('06). V9 analog TVGOS 8 day full searching. Note Panny EH-75 has same. These devices will bring up digital stations in it's grid but has no digital tuner so it only receives analog TVGOS for updates so it will probably cease with the analog shutoff

You may know or want to note that the DTV Pal DVR uses a stripped down version of TVGOS not nearly as nice as the full version that most other TVGOS devices have.

As Ramm noted check the DVD recorders forum for many ongoing TVGOS discussion threads, they're becoming more popular as more people start losing there analog updates for various reasons. In my area my local CBS station provides reliable digital and analog listings. Analog was previously provided by PBS.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/15882735

When posting, please provide the following three pieces of information in your post;
  1. Manufacturer and Model of device you use it on (add revision/version/build, etc. if you know it matters).
  2. TVGOS Version on your device, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or "don't know".
  3. Links to threads on this forum discussing your device and TVGOS, or "don't know".

POST#2 in the thread will track Version Updates to POST#1

Manufacturer: Toshiba

Model:50HPX95

TVGOS Version: 8

Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15877902

The DTVPal+ converter Box works with this system both as a cable box emulator(480i only) and as a converter of the digital TVGOS host channel to analog with analog TVGOS data readable by the Toshiba and usable by the optional Toshiba Symbio HD DVR.

#7 ·
The LG3410a high-def tuner-DVR uses version 7 TVGOS and requires analog TVGOS to get program info. The LG3410a thread is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...00#post3050400 . Unfortunately, there is no info guide or set of FAQs at the top of this thread.

Although it has an NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner, there are apparently no TVGOS firmware upgrades that will permit this device to receive digital TVGOS broadcasts directly.

This brings me to a comment about improving your table by using a code to indicate what CATEGORY of compatibility applies to each TVGOS device.

E.g., possible categories are:

A - analog only device that requires a DTVPal in TVGOS mode as a front end, and special setting in the TVGOS device itself both to get analog TVGOS data AND to receive digital channels, converted to analog.

B - a digital device that also has an NTSC tuner and that ONLY receives TVGOS data in analog form, which may be provided by the DTVPal in TVGOS mode, while the TVGOS device itself retains its usual TVGOS settings AND its digital reception capabilities. (The 3410a is an example of this WE HOPE.) Apparently a Toshiba HDTV with version 8 TVGOS is also an example of this, as indicated in a post at Magic 8 Ball Speaks...(oops - and in the post above)

C - a digital device that also has an NTSC tuner, which is its preferred avenue for receiving TVGOS data (although this may change with future firmware upgrades or changes to the digital TVGOS transmissions). (The Sony 250/500s are examples of this...)

Furthermore the DTVPals and tr-40 are NOT TVGOS devices, i.e., they do not use the TV GUIDE system, so they shouldn't be in your table. But you should have a discussion somewhere in your opening post delineating HOW the DTVPal can be used in different ways by devices that need it to CONVERT digital TVGOS data into analog form.

On the other hand, the DTVPal DVR IS a TVGOS device and should be in your table, although you might simply have another paragraph in your post that indicates that ALL version 9 devices are able to get digital TVGOS data directly.

Finally, I am puzzled about how you list firmware version 8.01.53 at the top of you table...do you mean all devices with this firmware and up can RECEIVE digital stations OR that they can receive digital TVGOS directly or what? The first is probably true, but the second is certainly not true IN GENERAL, or at least has not been shown to be true as yet. By that I mean that my Sony 250 CAN receive digital transmissions IF I FORCE IT TO, but there is as yet no guarantee that, when the analog broadcasts disappear the device will automatically switch to digital TVGOS reception. And, even more, we still don't know what happens if the unit experiences a TVGOS reset, which NOW resets it to a firmware version that DOESN'T receive digital TVGOS (even if one tries to force it), which - after analog TVGOS broadcasts disappear - would leave the device up **** creek or in need of a DTVPal to get analog data until the firmware is updated again...

Actually, I'd very much appreciate your posting where precisely you got this item (by which I mean a post, not a thread)...thanks for this (and for the thread).

In any case, I hope you find my suggestion about categorizing compatibility helpful, as well as my comment about the DTVPal, about which there is a lot of confusion, even in the HUGE DTVPal thread...

Cheers - Tony

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/15883933

Devices I own with TVGOS:

Sony W4100 LCD TV('08)-V9 digital TVGOS (note the following Sony LCDs have the same:V4100, W4100, Z4100 and XBR (late '08 and on) Note they all have TVGOS with full searching but all have "only" 24 hour listings.

Are you saying the following Sony's have v9, but it's Guide Daily?

Sony KDL-42V4100

Sony KDL-46V4100

Sony KDL-52V4100

Sony KDL-40W4100

Sony KDL-46W4100

Sony KDL-46W4150

Sony KDL-52W4100

Sony KDL-40Z4100

Sony KDL-46Z4100

Sony KDL-40XBR6

Sony KDL-46XBR6

Sony KDL-52XBR6

Sony KDL-70XBR7

Sony KDL-46XBR8

Sony KDL-55XBR8

#9 ·
Thanks Tony, lots of info there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/15885873

comment about improving your table by using a code to indicate what CATEGORY of compatibility applies to each TVGOS device.

Not the point of this thread. Would require too much research and work to keep up.

AFAIK, if a device doesn't have TVGOS base build version 08.01.65 or higher, it's not capable of ATSC slicing, so cannot process digital TVGOS data and needs a DTVPal.
Quote:
Furthermore the DTVPals and tr-40 are NOT TVGOS devices, i.e., they do not use the TV GUIDE system, so they shouldn't be in your table. But you should have a discussion somewhere in your opening post delineating HOW the DTVPal can be used in different ways by devices that need it to CONVERT digital TVGOS data into analog form.

Thanks, point taken. I've updated the first post. As far as how to use a DTVPal, there are threads on that and User Guides.
Quote:
On the other hand, the DTVPal DVR IS a TVGOS device and should be in your table

As soon as someone provides the info, I'll add it to the table.
Quote:
although you might simply have another paragraph in your post that indicates that ALL version 9 devices are able to get digital TVGOS data directly.

I don't know that for certain. See post #5 by jjeff v9 analog TVGOS no digital tuner.
Quote:
Finally, I am puzzled about how you list firmware version 8.01.53 at the top of you table...do you mean all devices with this firmware and up can RECEIVE digital stations OR that they can receive digital TVGOS directly or what?

In order to receive and process digital TVGOS data the device needs to do ATSC slicing. If the device was built with a TVGOS version below 08.01.65, it will not. Straight from Gemstar/Macrovision.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/15885958

Are you saying the following Sony's have v9, but it's Guide Daily?

Sony KDL-42V4100

Sony KDL-46V4100

Sony KDL-52V4100

Sony KDL-40W4100

Sony KDL-46W4100

Sony KDL-46W4150

Sony KDL-52W4100

Sony KDL-40Z4100

Sony KDL-46Z4100

Sony KDL-40XBR6

Sony KDL-46XBR6

Sony KDL-52XBR6

Sony KDL-70XBR7

Sony KDL-46XBR8

Sony KDL-55XBR8

Yes that's correct.

AFA the comment about V9 and ability to get digital TVGOS several devices such as Panasonic DVDRs may have V9 but without the digital tuner they're not able to download the digital TVGOS(but maybe with the help of the DTVPal CECB as gmucklow noted). Other devices like the Sony HDD DVRs have V8 AND the digital tuner. They're able to be somehow made to get the digital TVGOS even though they were originally meant to get TVGOS from the analog source.

Personally I haven't read of anyone with a analog DVDR (w/TVGOS) getting a Pal to work, but that's the way it was supposed to work.

BTW nice idea for a thread. We seem to have many threads in various forums talking about the same thing. It would be nice to have a master thread of sorts.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/15888854

Much of the discussion in the Sony DHG-HDD250/500 thread during the past few months has been about getting it to work with digital TVGOS in the cities that have it available. Several people have reported success.

Although I don't have one, I have read the thread from the beginning and have kept up with it. What I meant (in my reply to jjeff) was which post shows the Sony HDD DVR having TVGOS v9. Everything I've seen posted there says it's v8. Also see Sony DHG-HDD250/500 Forum

#15 ·
bwall23...now I'm really puzzled...your "here" in the post above refers to a post by rfburns in the Sony 250/500 thread, in which - in response to a previous post by me - he cites a pdf that gives 8.1.65 as the minimum tvgos firmware version required for decoding digital TVGOS data.

Of course, current Sony 250/500 units have firmware that has been updated (via TVGOS downloads) to 8.06.44, so - as many people in the Sony thread have demonstrated - that device CAN get digital TVGOS data, although it still shows a preference for analog data...but there is still a problem because if there is a TVGOS reset (as for example can occur with the playing around that Gemstar is now doing, or if something else happens to the unit), the firmware can revert to its original version, i.e., 8.1.40, which can cause a real problem, since if analog service is not longer available, it can no longer update to 8.06.44.

So where did the 8.1.53 come from?

In fact NOW I notice that you've changed the 8.153 to 8.1.65...where were you getting the original info?

Furthermore, Magic 8 ball assured us - citing sources working on the problem - that "A solution is currently in the final stages of testing that will assure existing TVGOS analog dependent devices (for example the Sony DHG-HDD250/500) future compatibility with TVGOS & Digital TV."(opening post of his thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15249933 )). Was he flat wrong?

I'm pretty sure I have read that entire thread, and see nothing authoritative changing that statement...although questions remain (as I said) about what happens if the TV Guide system in one's device resets to a primitive version of the firmware..

So is there something else that you describe as straight from the source (like Magi 8 ball did)?

Thanks - Tony

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/15889038

What I meant (in my reply to jjeff) was which post shows the Sony HDD DVR having TVGOS v9. Everything I've seen posted there says it's v8.

Ah, OK. As Ramm notes, it's v8. Why don't you have it marked as YES in the "digital compatible" column, then? I think that's what really triggered my response.

Also, I would not consider the Panasonic DMR-EH75V and DMR-EH55 to be "digital compatible," because they don't have ATSC tuners. I have the EH75V, and the EH55 is basically the same unit with a larger hard disk and no VHS deck.

#18 ·
Sharp LC37D5U LCD TV Purchased Jan 2004

TVG Ver: 08.01.41/08.05.44

Connected OTA and TWC analog cable

Host 1:0-11 analog cable for KPBS. Day 6 and 8 missing

Note: this TV has 3 RF inputs for 3 tuners, NTSC, ATSC, Clear QAM.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=tvgos&page=19

Sony HX900 HD/DVD recorder NTSC & cable.

TVG Ver 07.01.30/07.06.07

Connected TWC cable, Host 0xB (analog cable 11 KPBS)

Difficult to check listing population. Numeric skip ahead feature not avalable but shows at least 4 days +

No real thread, some info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=hx900

Sony HDD250 purchased 2/13/06 Mfg date July 2005 Ser # 8005068.

TVG ver 08.01.42/08.06.44

Connected OTA and TWC analog cable

Host 1.0-11 Analog cable KPBS 8 days of listings

Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37711&page=464

Note: this unit was an open box purchase from 1-call. It had been refurbished by Sony and has the latest firmware

#19 ·
Have a few questions:

My TVGOS guide on my Toshiba 50HP95 went out for the second time in 2 months. Last time I checked my version in the "Section system-System Info" said 08.01.53/08.06.44/......... now it says 08.01.53/00.00.00/00.00.00/00010305/64/0000.

1. Is this because the system "Reset" my TVGOS version like in the Sony posts?

2. I have a "Section ATSS-ATSC Slicer" screen in the diagnostic menu, does this mean my TV does ATSC slicing?

3. I'm a little confused about the 08.01.53/08.01.65 posts, looks like I had been upgraded to 08.06.44 then back to 08.01.53, will I get the newer version back.

4. With Questions 2 & 3 the big one is can I get the Digital TVGOS guide?

It took me a year to get the TVGOS guide originally and with the dropouts and possible loss of the analog guide I'm thinking about saying the heck with my CableCard and just acquiesce (Pay) to get a DVR/HDSTB

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/15889524

bwall23...now I'm really puzzled...your "here" in the post above refers to a post by rfburns in the Sony 250/500 thread, in which - in response to a previous post by me - he cites a pdf that gives 8.1.65 as the minimum tvgos firmware version required for decoding digital TVGOS data.

Correct. That PDF was created from an excel spreadsheet that came from Gemstar. It's still there on the knowledgbase.

Quote:
Of course, current Sony 250/500 units have firmware that has been updated (via TVGOS downloads) to 8.06.44

The firmware hasn't been updated, just temporarily patched. The patches are lost when TVGOS is reset.

Quote:
So where did the 8.1.53 come from?

Human error. I was multitasking when I started the thread.

Quote:
Furthermore, Magic 8 ball assured us - citing sources working on the problem - that "A solution is currently in the final stages of testing that will assure existing TVGOS analog dependent devices (for example the Sony DHG-HDD250/500) future compatibility with TVGOS & Digital TV."(opening post of his thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15249933 )). Was he flat wrong?

I have no inside information. I'm going off that version differences spreadsheet and what I was told in email conversations with Macrovision support.

Quote:
So is there something else that you describe as straight from the source (like Magi 8 ball did)?

Besides personal email with Macrovision support and what happens when you follow Frank's advice here , NO!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/15890263

Ah, OK. As Ramm notes, it's v8. Why don't you have it marked as YES in the "digital compatible" column, then? I think that's what really triggered my response.

If you say it is, then I'll mark it as Yes and reference your post. I don't want to say that because at this point, the only "Official" info I've seen is that the device needs TVGOS base build v08.01.65 or higher. Unless Macrovision is working on a patch that could make itself stick and update the base version, when the device resets it becomes incompatible.

Quote:
Also, I would not consider the Panasonic DMR-EH75V and DMR-EH55 to be "digital compatible," because they don't have ATSC tuners. I have the EH75V, and the EH55 is basically the same unit with a larger hard disk and no VHS deck.

Thanks, I'll update the chart.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhibit#4 /forum/post/15894207

Have a few questions:

My TVGOS guide on my Toshiba 50HP95 went out for the second time in 2 months. Last time I checked my version in the "Section system-System Info" said 08.01.53/08.06.44/......... now it says 08.01.53/00.00.00/00.00.00/00010305/64/0000.

1. Is this because the system "Reset" my TVGOS version like in the Sony posts?

Try checking your device specific thread (last one in the table on my first post here) courtesy of gmucklow.

Quote:
2. I have a "Section ATSS-ATSC Slicer" screen in the diagnostic menu, does this mean my TV does ATSC slicing?

Based on your version, I would say no, but best to ask Macrovision. I had one with my set's older firmware (was exactly the same TVGOS version 08.02.44/08.06.44 as the Sony HDD/DVR's being discussed), but once I got updated firmware for my set, I have much more info on that screen.

Quote:
3. I'm a little confused about the 08.01.53/08.01.65 posts, looks like I had been upgraded to 08.06.44 then back to 08.01.53

Check the info on the bottom of my first post "Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions"

Quote:
will I get the newer version back.

Try checking your device specific thread (last one in the table on my first post here) courtesy of gmucklow. OR, ask Macrovision.

Quote:
4. With Questions 2 & 3 the big one is can I get the Digital TVGOS guide?

With a DTVPal, YES. Without one, ask Macrovision.

#24 ·
So, how does one convince Macrovision or our local CBS affiliate

to carry TVGOS?

I live in a market that doesn't carry it, I've spoke to the CE at

the CBS affiliate, and he isn't going to pursue it.

The CE at the local Public Television said he would be interested

in carrying Digital TVGOS, but he isn't sure Macrovision would offer

it to a non-CBS affiliate.

I've tried calling Macrovision, and have yet to speak with a live

body, messages go unanswered.

It looks like nobody has interest in it besides us lowly people "in the know".

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsyd /forum/post/15900446

to carry TVGOS?

I'd suggest you tell your contact at your PBS station that, in some OTHER markets, the PBS station is setting up to broadcast digital TVGOS! I just saw that fact posted in another thread..here it is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15900646

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsyd /forum/post/15900446

to carry TVGOS?

I live in a market that doesn't carry it, I've spoke to the CE at

the CBS affiliate, and he isn't going to pursue it.

I've tried calling Macrovision, and have yet to speak with a live

body, messages go unanswered.

It looks like nobody has interest in it besides us lowly people "in the know".

If your within reception distance of one of these cities, they already have plans to broadcast TVGOS. Ames, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Kirksville, Ottumwa, Sioux City, Waterloo. This comes from the DTVPal+ User Guide , pages 28-30 (special zipcode).

If not, you could try sending an email ( address on last page of the pdf here ) to Macrovision stating your situation and provide them with contact info for the PBS CE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.